Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Joe Pirlo Allen (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 199326 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Joe Allen Player Thread
      Reply #1932: Jan 27, 2016 06:20:10 pm
      Allen reveals 'incredible feeling' of penalty winner

Joe Allen admitted feeling some nerves as he stepped up to take the decisive penalty in Liverpool's League Cup semi-final success against Stoke City but described seeing his strike hit the back of the net as 'an incredible feeling'.

The Welshman confidently netted the 14th spot-kick of a fraught shootout to secure a trip to Wembley for Jürgen Klopp's side after Simon Mignolet followed up a save from Peter Crouch by also denying Marc Muniesa.

Allen's conversion was rapturously received by an Anfield crowd who were made to sweat over the course of 90 minutes plus extra-time, but the midfielder insisted the manner of the victory makes it even more satisfying.

“It means so much. It's an incredible feeling. We made it difficult for ourselves but, in some ways, that makes it more exciting,” he told Liverpoolfc.com.

“The atmosphere after the penalty went in was incredible and now everyone can't wait for Wembley.

“I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit nervous but I picked my spot and thankfully it hit the back of the net. Anfield went off and that's what football's all about – [it's a] great feeling.”

Reds across the world have been put through the wringer by their team in recent days, with the dramatic semi-final win over Stoke coming off the back of an unforgettable 5-4 victory against Norwich City sealed in injury time.

Allen believes the added tension also brings excitement, though he expects his teammates to soon find the consistency necessary to make things much more straightforward for supporters and themselves.

“That seems to be the way we do things now. It's probably not good for the stress levels but it's certainly exciting,” he added.

“I think the great thing is, we're yet to find that consistent form but in some ways we're excited because we think it's just on the horizon. If we can build that momentum then we can really kick on.

“You have to have that self-belief that things will come good. I think consistency will be the key for us.

“We've pulled off some great results and had some great performances along the way but I think it's just about doing it as often as we can and we know then we're a threat to anyone.”

The 25-year-old also gave special mention to Jon Flanagan, who was handed his first start for the club in 626 days as a result of an injury to Nathaniel Clyne and acquitted himself admirably across the 105 minutes he featured in.

Allen said: “I'd like to give a little mention for Flanno.

“To start tonight in a semi-final after so long out and keep going as long he did, that's incredible.

“The lads can't quite believe it but that sums Flanno up, that's the way he is. It's incredible how deep he can dig.”

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/204713-allen-reveals-incredible-feeling-of-penalty-winner
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,213 posts | 915 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #1933: Jan 27, 2016 06:46:40 pm
      Thought Joe was MOM last night, well done.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1934: Jan 27, 2016 07:05:10 pm
      Great player to have in the squad, but I don't really see him as being quite good enough to be a first team player on a regular basis in a team challenging for the title.

He has certainly shown lately that he is a much better player than we have seen over the past few seasons.

Well in Joe you deserve the plaudits. 
      MsGerrard
      Re: Joe Pirlo Allen Player Thread
      Reply #1935: Jan 27, 2016 10:20:33 pm
      Joe Pirlo Allen  ;D

What a star he was last night....must admit, never been a starter in my eyes, but fair play to him, played his socks off last night when he came on and deserves all the credit, we need the likes of Joe to step up to the mark and chip in with the odd goal or two especially whilst were struggling to score, nice one Pirlo, keep up the good work.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1936: Jan 27, 2016 10:26:54 pm
      I think he's to be known as The Welsh Pirlo now.. Hairs got to grow out a little still mind you.

... Can I take credit for coining Welsh Pirlo by the way?

:f_whistle:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1937: Jan 27, 2016 10:29:12 pm
      ... Can I take credit for coining Welsh Pirlo by the way?

:f_whistle:

as long as you are prepared to take the flak when it all goes tits up.
      anyone with half a brain can see he is playing so much better now he deserves a run in the side
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1938: Jan 27, 2016 10:31:49 pm
      as long as you are prepared to take the flak when it all goes tits up.
      anyone with half a brain can see he is playing so much better now he deserves a run in the side

I can compromise and take the flack if he shaves the beard :laugh:

I think so mate, deserves a few more starts.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #1939: Jan 27, 2016 10:35:47 pm
      Great player to have in the squad, but I don't really see him as being quite good enough to be a first team player on a regular basis in a team challenging for the title.

He has certainly shown lately that he is a much better player than we have seen over the past few seasons.

Well in Joe you deserve the plaudits. 
      He could well be a lucas type player that will get better as the seasons go on . keep him in the squad he's great to have around . I think he wants more playing time though and will probably want to move on in the summer .

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1940: Jan 27, 2016 11:45:22 pm
      He could well be a lucas type player that will get better as the seasons go on . keep him in the squad he's great to have around . I think he wants more playing time though and will probably want to move on in the summer .

I know this will be very unpopular as Lucas is a great lad and everyone loves him, but imho I think it has been more the team sinking to Lucas' level than Lucas growing that much as a player.

If we still had a midfield of Masch, Alonso and Gerrard, Lucas would be a squad player, similarly with Joe, the lower we drop in quality the better he will look.

Scottbot

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1941: Jan 28, 2016 08:58:50 pm
      I know this will be very unpopular as Lucas is a great lad and everyone loves him, but imho I think it has been more the team sinking to Lucas' level than Lucas growing that much as a player.

If we still had a midfield of Masch, Alonso and Gerrard, Lucas would be a squad player, similarly with Joe, the lower we drop in quality the better he will look.

You could be right mate but in the meantime, the quality of our midfield play with Joe off the pitch hasn't been so good. A few suggesting he continue in the super sub role off the bench, I personally think he has done enough to deserve a start or two with his recent performances and not just to babysit kids in the FA Cup.

You could be right mate but in the meantime, the quality of our midfield play with Joe off the pitch hasn't been so good. A few suggesting he continue in the super sub role off the bench, I personally think he has done enough to deserve a start or two with his recent performances and not just to babysit kids in the FA Cup.
      [/quote]

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6719 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1942: Jan 29, 2016 11:02:35 am
      I know we have seen this image surface recently but I like the comments this fella added to it on FB, so thought I'd post it as well.

We once had a footballer named GOD.

Now introducing Joesus.
         :lmao: :lmao:

trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #1943: Jan 31, 2016 03:13:35 pm
      Needs a run of games. I think he suits Klopps style of play more than can or milner.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #1944: Jan 31, 2016 03:20:34 pm
      Well done Joe, although Klopp needs to wave his " magic wand " over a few more players in the squad tbh.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #1945: Feb 01, 2016 02:13:39 am
      In a rich vein of form atm is Joe, long may it continue.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #1946: Feb 01, 2016 03:21:51 pm
      I think he has been good recently, obviously he lacks the physicality but that isn't new.

Problem is he probably deserves the game vs Leicester but their midfield is so dynamic and as a physical side it's hard to commit to taking one of Lucas/Can/Henderson out.

Good player but you'd think his time is slowly running out Liverpool basically due to his size.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,686 posts | 3708 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1947: Feb 01, 2016 06:36:06 pm
      He has improved and has some form. He deserves to start but I can't see it.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #1948: Feb 06, 2016 05:22:56 pm
      Any word on the lads injury?
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #1949: Feb 06, 2016 07:40:22 pm
      Damn shame if he is injured because he is one player I would select every week.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,808 posts | 2449 
      Reply #1950: Feb 06, 2016 08:03:06 pm
      Joe would be a fine player if his body was stronger.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #1951: Feb 06, 2016 08:12:27 pm
      A weakling who is always injured.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1952: Feb 06, 2016 08:47:54 pm
      A weakling who is always injured.

Why is this called for? And besides, who the f**k uses the word 'weakling' aged above primary school?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #1953: Feb 06, 2016 08:52:51 pm
      Why is this called for? And besides, who the f**k uses the word 'weakling' aged above primary school?

Your telling me he is some sort of midfield Titan who never gets injured?

Should I have called him puny instead. Some right fannies on here.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,312 posts | 6374 
      Reply #1954: Feb 06, 2016 11:43:21 pm
      Your telling me he is some sort of midfield Titan who never gets injured?

Should I have called him puny instead. Some right fannies on here.

No, you are being a tit and got called on it.

Joe has been healthy for awhile and probably should have been playing ahead of Can or Lallana for the last few weeks. It sucks if he's picked up a serious knock.

Quick Reply