Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Joe Pirlo Allen (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 198392 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Re: Joe Pirlo Allen Player Thread
      Reply #2116: May 19, 2016 01:42:28 pm
      Hindsight is a great thing but who can say with certainty Allen would have made the difference.

Because he made a difference most games he came off the bench this season.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2117: Jun 07, 2016 12:52:03 pm
      Looks like he was injured again and hence missed the Sweden friendly.

His injury record is one of the reasons I doubt he will be here next season.
      Red John
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts | 127 
      Reply #2118: Jun 08, 2016 10:54:13 pm
      Nice one Joe. :)

Joe Allen is done with comparisons and wants to make mark at Euro 2016

Joe Allen has heard all the nicknames before. From “the Welsh Xavi” to “the Welsh Pirlo” and even “the Welsh Jesus”, the Liverpool midfielder has been burdened, complimented and seen as a saviour. Yet the message from the man himself is a simple one. “I’m just an Average Joe,” Allen says, smiling.

That was certainly how Allen came across when he appeared on the cover of Chicken & Egg magazine a few months ago, posing with one of his 14 pet hens in the publication’s spring edition. Every one of the chickens has a name, including the two cockerels, Bruce and Rodney, but there is not a Xavi or Pirlo among them.

Brendan Rodgers was responsible for christening Allen “the Welsh Xavi” in that infamous Being: Liverpool documentary and looking back, the moniker, whether serious or not, helped nobody. Allen, perhaps, could see what was coming – he declined the No6 shirt, which Xavi wore at Barcelona – and struggled to win over Liverpool fans in his first three seasons at the club.

In that sense it is not surprising Allen is reluctant to embrace “the Welsh Pirlo”, even if that sobriquet seems to be based on the beard and physical resemblance as much as anything the Welshman does with his boots. “It’s a dangerous one because I had ‘the Welsh Xavi’ tag for a while and that didn’t really do me too many favours,” Allen says. “So I’m trying to steer myself away from the new one too.”

The Pirlo line started to gather legs after Allen’s no-look pass set up Jordon Ibe for the opening goal against Stoke City in the League Cup semi-final first leg in January – “Yes, of course!” Allen says when asked whether the assist was deliberate – and the former Swansea player can see the amusement value in the parallels drawn with the Italian.

“That’s the way you have to take it,” he says. “I have got a sense of humour. There have been loads of things that are really funny. I’m hoping I have a big influence on everyone. I’ve seen a few more beards than normal. It’s the long hair next. I can’t say I have many of the lads copying me but there you go.”

Allen gives the impression that he is very much his own man and, at the age of 26, he has become something of cult figure without trying to court the spotlight in any way. His crucial contributions for Liverpool during the second half of the season, including his winning spot-kick in the semi-final second-leg victory against Stoke and impact as a substitute in the thrilling 4-3 comeback win over Borussia Dortmund in the Europa League quarter-final second leg, had major moments on social media. For some people, because of Allen’s appearance, in particular that beard and long hair, it was a case of divine intervention.

Allen breaks into laughter when asked about some of the internet clips and why he has become a viral hit. “The good the bad and the ugly – probably more bad and ugly than good!” he says, chuckling. “I have to say there’s been a few things sent my way that’s had me crying with laughter. The biblical references of recent times have been quite funny.”

The serious side to all of this is that Allen is a highly accomplished midfielder. His calming presence in the centre of the pitch, and ability to control the tempo of matches with his measured passing, has won over some of his sceptics on Merseyside, in particular since Jürgen Klopp took over as manager at Anfield.

“The second half of the season I was involved a lot more and my performance levels have increased,” Allen says. “Everyone’s seen Jürgen has had a good impact on the team, everyone has responded really well to him, we’ve gone to two cup finals and although they ended in disappointment, to take us that far in his first season shows the impact he’s had. There’s certainly things I’ve learned from him I’m using to help my game.”

With Wales there is no need to preach to the converted. Allen’s contribution has always been appreciated by staff, team-mates and supporters alike, and it is a huge lift to everyone within the Wales camp that he has overcome a knee problem to be fit for Saturday’s opening Euro 2016 game against Slovakia in Bordeaux.

The prospect of playing in France, Allen admits, has been on his mind for a while. “Anyone would be lying if they said there hasn’t been focus on this during the club season as well. It is such a huge occasion. We have been sick and tired of watching tournaments in previous summers. To be a part of it is what it’s all about as professional footballers. Representing your country on this stage is the stuff of dreams.”

The not-so-secret weapon in the Wales camp is Gareth Bale, and Allen sees the world’s most expensive footballer as someone whose mere presence will unnerve opponents. “That is something that is huge for us. Every nation in the tournament will be discussing us having the likes of Gareth with us. I think he is a real standout player in the tournament. We are hoping to strike as much fear into everyone as we can in terms of that.”

Allen is looking forward to coming up against a few familiar faces in the first two group games. Martin Skrtel, the Liverpool centre-back, is the Slovakia captain, and Nathaniel Clyne and Adam Lallana could both line up for England against Wales in Lens five days later in a game that they all saw coming.

“We were training when the draw was made so we were out on the pitches but we’d all called it,” Allen says. “We thought it would be typical for us to be drawn together. Of course we have had a laugh and joke throughout the season, talked about it a lot more as it’s drawn closer. They are trying their best to put the pressure on Wales but everyone knows they will have the weight of the world on their shoulders and we are the ones going in there with a fearless mentality. I have been trying to milk that as much as I can.”
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2119: Jun 09, 2016 06:51:45 am
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/wales/36465608

A small vignette with Joe mentioned in the song taken from Oh Joanna

1 minute 38 seconds in.

If Joe does leave this summer what is the betting he could end up in the green part of Glasgow?
      Watch this space.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #2120: Jun 09, 2016 08:10:51 am
      He's a good little player is Joe, and I'm glad that he's rediscovered his form and shown everyone before he leaves. He got a little bit buried under the criticism he got, and for a long time there it looked like he was dreading coming on almost as much as the fans were not looking forward to his number being held up. Of course he was never as bad as some people were fond of saying, but the truth of it is that for at least two seasons he wasn't good enough.

Now though we once again have seen the quality of his pressing, the excellence of his ball re-cycling and of course his biggest asset of all, his bravery in being prepared to take the ball in the tightest of situations. I actually think although Jürgen had a brilliant first season, his belated introduction of Allen in the Europa final was probably an error which cost us. Joe would have got a foot in, took the ball under pressure, kept it, shored us up.

I wish him all the best wherever he goes, he's never once said a bad word nor done a bad thing. He 's worn the shirt with pride and will be a good player and pro wherever he ends up.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #2121: Jun 09, 2016 02:30:20 pm
      Nice one Joe. :)

Joe Allen is done with comparisons and wants to make mark at Euro 2016

Joe Allen has heard all the nicknames before. From “the Welsh Xavi” to “the Welsh Pirlo” and even “the Welsh Jesus”, the Liverpool midfielder has been burdened, complimented and seen as a saviour. Yet the message from the man himself is a simple one. “I’m just an Average Joe,” Allen says, smiling.

That was certainly how Allen came across when he appeared on the cover of Chicken & Egg magazine a few months ago, posing with one of his 14 pet hens in the publication’s spring edition. Every one of the chickens has a name, including the two cockerels, Bruce and Rodney, but there is not a Xavi or Pirlo among them.

Brendan Rodgers was responsible for christening Allen “the Welsh Xavi” in that infamous Being: Liverpool documentary and looking back, the moniker, whether serious or not, helped nobody. Allen, perhaps, could see what was coming – he declined the No6 shirt, which Xavi wore at Barcelona – and struggled to win over Liverpool fans in his first three seasons at the club.

In that sense it is not surprising Allen is reluctant to embrace “the Welsh Pirlo”, even if that sobriquet seems to be based on the beard and physical resemblance as much as anything the Welshman does with his boots. “It’s a dangerous one because I had ‘the Welsh Xavi’ tag for a while and that didn’t really do me too many favours,” Allen says. “So I’m trying to steer myself away from the new one too.”

The Pirlo line started to gather legs after Allen’s no-look pass set up Jordon Ibe for the opening goal against Stoke City in the League Cup semi-final first leg in January – “Yes, of course!” Allen says when asked whether the assist was deliberate – and the former Swansea player can see the amusement value in the parallels drawn with the Italian.

“That’s the way you have to take it,” he says. “I have got a sense of humour. There have been loads of things that are really funny. I’m hoping I have a big influence on everyone. I’ve seen a few more beards than normal. It’s the long hair next. I can’t say I have many of the lads copying me but there you go.”

Allen gives the impression that he is very much his own man and, at the age of 26, he has become something of cult figure without trying to court the spotlight in any way. His crucial contributions for Liverpool during the second half of the season, including his winning spot-kick in the semi-final second-leg victory against Stoke and impact as a substitute in the thrilling 4-3 comeback win over Borussia Dortmund in the Europa League quarter-final second leg, had major moments on social media. For some people, because of Allen’s appearance, in particular that beard and long hair, it was a case of divine intervention.

Allen breaks into laughter when asked about some of the internet clips and why he has become a viral hit. “The good the bad and the ugly – probably more bad and ugly than good!” he says, chuckling. “I have to say there’s been a few things sent my way that’s had me crying with laughter. The biblical references of recent times have been quite funny.”

The serious side to all of this is that Allen is a highly accomplished midfielder. His calming presence in the centre of the pitch, and ability to control the tempo of matches with his measured passing, has won over some of his sceptics on Merseyside, in particular since Jürgen Klopp took over as manager at Anfield.

“The second half of the season I was involved a lot more and my performance levels have increased,” Allen says. “Everyone’s seen Jürgen has had a good impact on the team, everyone has responded really well to him, we’ve gone to two cup finals and although they ended in disappointment, to take us that far in his first season shows the impact he’s had. There’s certainly things I’ve learned from him I’m using to help my game.”

With Wales there is no need to preach to the converted. Allen’s contribution has always been appreciated by staff, team-mates and supporters alike, and it is a huge lift to everyone within the Wales camp that he has overcome a knee problem to be fit for Saturday’s opening Euro 2016 game against Slovakia in Bordeaux.

The prospect of playing in France, Allen admits, has been on his mind for a while. “Anyone would be lying if they said there hasn’t been focus on this during the club season as well. It is such a huge occasion. We have been sick and tired of watching tournaments in previous summers. To be a part of it is what it’s all about as professional footballers. Representing your country on this stage is the stuff of dreams.”

The not-so-secret weapon in the Wales camp is Gareth Bale, and Allen sees the world’s most expensive footballer as someone whose mere presence will unnerve opponents. “That is something that is huge for us. Every nation in the tournament will be discussing us having the likes of Gareth with us. I think he is a real standout player in the tournament. We are hoping to strike as much fear into everyone as we can in terms of that.”

Allen is looking forward to coming up against a few familiar faces in the first two group games. Martin Skrtel, the Liverpool centre-back, is the Slovakia captain, and Nathaniel Clyne and Adam Lallana could both line up for England against Wales in Lens five days later in a game that they all saw coming.

“We were training when the draw was made so we were out on the pitches but we’d all called it,” Allen says. “We thought it would be typical for us to be drawn together. Of course we have had a laugh and joke throughout the season, talked about it a lot more as it’s drawn closer. They are trying their best to put the pressure on Wales but everyone knows they will have the weight of the world on their shoulders and we are the ones going in there with a fearless mentality. I have been trying to milk that as much as I can.”

So is his new nickname "Average Joe"? :laugh:
      Red John
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts | 127 
      Reply #2122: Jun 09, 2016 02:33:10 pm
      So is his new nickname "Average Joe"? :laugh:

;D
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2123: Jun 10, 2016 01:37:00 pm
      Red John
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts | 127 
      Reply #2124: Jun 10, 2016 01:46:43 pm
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2125: Jun 10, 2016 01:56:36 pm
      Can't see him staying here unfortunately.

Yea, don't think he'd want to play the same amount of football next season, as last. Wants to start lot more regularly. And should be able to at many other PL teams.
      Plus club will feel he's someone who can bring in 'decent' money in transfer.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2126: Jun 16, 2016 06:50:08 pm
      Wales best player by some margin at this tournament. Wonderfully positive and hard working. When he tracked back to tackle Kyle Walker in full flow I broke into a smile. Wonderful moment from such a hard working, honest player.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #2127: Jun 17, 2016 11:10:17 am
      Craig Bellamy has him down as the best player on the pitch at yesterday's Wales v England match.  I was surprised (Bellamy's Welsh bias notwithstanding), but having watched it again with Joe in mind, I think he's right.

If we lose this guy this summer we'll be losing a player who (imho) we need going into next season.  He can settle our jittery midfield and defence and take the pressure of the weary legs of others around him.  Maybe not a starter, but he's so valuable in games when we need to keep or regain control.  And we do seem to be in that position frequently.

So, Welsh Xavi, Welsh Pirlo or just Ordinary Joe, I hope you stay a red, mate!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #2128: Jun 17, 2016 02:46:10 pm
      I don't think it's a surprise to see Allen playing better for Wales than he does for us. He's a good footballer, he just lacks the size and athleticism that the Premier League is so keen on. I think I've said this before, but if you were to stick Allen in Serie A or La Liga, he'd look brilliant. He's so un-British in the way he plays, if that makes sense.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2129: Jun 18, 2016 11:16:03 pm
      I don't think it's a surprise to see Allen playing better for Wales than he does for us. He's a good footballer, he just lacks the size and athleticism that the Premier League is so keen on. I think I've said this before, but if you were to stick Allen in Serie A or La Liga, he'd look brilliant. He's so un-British in the way he plays, if that makes sense.

I disagree on that he lacks the size and athleticism the PL is so keen on, I personally don't think that's the issue. The issue I find would be his lack of physicality to be a huge disadvantage in a Klopp 2 man midfield team.

Though I would say this, since Klopp took over, Allen has been our most consistent midfield performer, but this has been down to sub appearances or playing in a 3 man midfield, hasn't it? And I actually think his performances for Wales has been just as good as the ones we saw last season under Klopp.

I think if Klopp gets the midfielders he wants, we will be seeing a lot more 2-1 midfield and a lot less Allen, so if he does leave, I would love a La Liga or Serie A team to pick him up. As you mentioned, I too believe he would do very well and would fit in well with an overseas CL standard team.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2130: Jun 19, 2016 06:38:16 am
      He's too good to go back to Swansea as has been mooted. If i were a Southampton or someone similar i'd be throwing money to get him. Even Stoke if they're being serious about building on their last season

Excellent ball retention, energy for days and can wriggle out of anything. Probably just lacks that creativity to pick out a pass and score a goal that holds him back from being really top class. And by all accounts a top class person.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #2131: Jun 19, 2016 09:44:51 pm
      I really do think we should do everything we can to keep him....absolutely superb squad player, depends if he would be happy to just be a 'squad player' though, never causes any trouble, never see any scandal about him in the papers, for me he's a must keep.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #2132: Jun 19, 2016 09:47:23 pm
      I really do think we should do everything we can to keep him....absolutely superb squad player, depends if he would be happy to just be a 'squad player' though, never causes any trouble, never see any scandal about him in the papers, for me he's a must keep.

100% agree with this
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #2133: Jun 19, 2016 09:51:33 pm

Not a "must keep" imo MsG  but I agree with everything else. I think we should try to keep him. Excellent squad player, but I think he will want more games than we can offer him this season. If we are back in Europe next season he would be ideal.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #2134: Jun 19, 2016 10:14:14 pm

:gt-happyup:

Not a "must keep" imo MsG  but I agree with everything else. I think we should try to keep him. Excellent squad player, but I think he will want more games than we can offer him this season. If we are back in Europe next season he would be ideal.

You never know what kind of injuries we may get at the beginning of the season (look what happened last season)  :( that's one of my reasons to wanting to keep him, along with cup games and some league games, but like you say S@int, that may not be enough for him, and you couldn't really blame him, one of the most improved players under Jürgen.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2135: Jun 19, 2016 10:43:18 pm
      As much as I like him and how useful he is I'd be surprised if he stays. 

He's going into the last year of his contract and there's no sign of a new one being offered, although Jürgen did say it depends on his fitness and whether he can stay fit.  It doesn't bode well for him that we've signed Grujic and look to be signing Zielinski, both of whom are similar players in a similar area of the pitch.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2136: Jun 20, 2016 06:05:50 pm
      As much as I like him and how useful he is I'd be surprised if he stays. 

He's going into the last year of his contract and there's no sign of a new one being offered, although Jürgen did say it depends on his fitness and whether he can stay fit.  It doesn't bode well for him that we've signed Grujic and look to be signing Zielinski, both of whom are similar players in a similar area of the pitch.

He is a good servant of the club but I won't be sad seeing his back. I'm not saying that he is a bad player or influence, just not our calibre.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #2137: Jun 20, 2016 08:14:14 pm
      Just played a beautifully weighted pass to feed in Aaron Ramsey for Wales' first goal.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2138: Jun 20, 2016 08:16:37 pm
      Wee Joe is making quite a name for himself at this tournament.  Who knows we may get a huge bid from PSG for him when it's over  ;D

Quick Reply