Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Joe Pirlo Allen (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 198403 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Joe Pirlo Allen Player Thread
      Reply #2070: Apr 18, 2016 11:01:25 am
      Only lost 2 of the 16 games where Joe Allen has played for at least a half.

http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/stats/lfc-player-influence.html
      ScottMcL05
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #2071: Apr 18, 2016 12:30:56 pm
      Joe has been an outstanding performer in recent weeks, we certainly look stronger with him in midfield. 
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #2072: Apr 18, 2016 01:47:46 pm
      Really impressed by him, i was never his biggest fan, but you have to be mad to not appreciate his effort and contribution to the team.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #2073: Apr 18, 2016 06:59:52 pm
      While he may not possess the physical attributes of Hendo he's definitely a far more intelligent player. That said one could argue that despite Hendo's physique he doesn't use it to the expected level. In contrast to Allen, Hendo's pressing is really quite poor or at least it has been this season.

Also to those bemoaning about why he wasn't performing at this level pre Klopp well it is clear seeing that Klopp is playing him in a purposeful position now. When he was played in front of the back 4 too many times under Brendan it was...well it was like using a gun to smear butter on your toast. Klopp shows that it was just sheer misuse.

Completely right.  Not going for an anti-Brendan shot, but BR never seemed to know where his players were most effective. Joe works best (for us and Swansea, previously) as a continental-style midfielder (Welsh Xavi indeed!) who isn't either a 'number 10' OR a 'holding/DM' - instead, he links defence and attack - a simple-sounding job but one that we don't have any other players for.  Emre Can, for me, doesn't seem capable of it.  I'm sorry that Hendo and Can are injured, but from Joe's point of view I'd like to see him cement his place in their absence.  I think he's just the midfielder LFC has needed, if played in the right position.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2074: Apr 18, 2016 07:39:28 pm
      He is playing quite good but he never brings goals (as in he scores very few goals). He brings other players into scoring position but he needs to start scoring goals as well.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #2075: Apr 28, 2016 11:02:16 pm
      Joe our best player again tonight.

This is becoming a bit of a habit.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2076: Apr 28, 2016 11:03:08 pm
      Joe our best player again tonight.

This is becoming a bit of a habit.

Agreed, got my MotM vote and has done a few times recently, hard not to be impressed with his resurgence.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2077: Apr 29, 2016 07:58:01 am
      Should have buried that chance in the opening minutes.

Agreed he had a good game but it would have been an excellent one if he puts that either side of the keeper.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2078: May 01, 2016 03:07:09 pm
      Klopp on Allen.

We will talk about Joe Allen’s future 100%, but not at the presser in Swansea. I spoke to him yesterday, everything’s fine.

Hopefully he'll get a new 5 year contract. Very useful squad player.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2079: May 03, 2016 12:57:48 am

That is the question for Joe though.

Does he wan't to be "in the squad" and experience moments like the Dortmund game, or does he want to be playing every match.

He is a good guy and if he left because he want's a starters gig I won't hold it against him or the manager for letting him go.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2080: May 03, 2016 01:38:55 pm
      One thing Joe will never be is clinical in front of goal. He now gets himself in the positions to score... but then doesn't
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2081: May 03, 2016 01:48:31 pm
      We don't need squad players we need upgrades especially in midfield.

Allen is not a DM but doesn't offer all that much going forward, yeah he recycles the ball and keeps it ticking over but is that enough if we are serious about challenging at the top.

Pretty sure he will head back to Swansea once Rodgers is appointed in the summer.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2082: May 03, 2016 04:33:44 pm
      We don't need squad players we need upgrades especially in midfield.

Allen is not a DM but doesn't offer all that much going forward, yeah he recycles the ball and keeps it ticking over but is that enough if we are serious about challenging at the top.

Pretty sure he will head back to Swansea once Rodgers is appointed in the summer.

You don't think we need guys like Joe Allen on the bench to come in and get a job done when needed?....Really?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2083: May 03, 2016 04:39:04 pm
      You don't think we need guys like Joe Allen on the bench to come in and get a job done when needed?....Really?

We have Grujic coming another young talent in Brannagan and also for me Henderson is not a automatic starter so assuming we buy another top class midfielder in the mould of Granit or Dahoud there is no place for Allen.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2084: May 03, 2016 04:51:18 pm

Joe is a good bench option, to cover injuries or for rotation purposes but he could very easily be upgraded on by bringing in better players than our regular midfield starters and dropping them to the bench.

Joe also suffers with injury problems too, a bit like Lucas.  He has a decent run of games then he's out for longer than he's just played so we can't even rely on him when he might be needed.  Something that Jürgen mentioned a few weeks ago when asked about his contract situation.

I guess a lot depends on where Jürgen feels his money needs spending as a priority, if it's not in midfield then Joe probably stays, for now.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2085: May 03, 2016 06:51:20 pm
      We have Grujic coming another young talent in Brannagan and also for me Henderson is not a automatic starter so assuming we buy another top class midfielder in the mould of Granit or Dahoud there is no place for Allen.

If we are pinning our hopes on Brannagan and Grujic to come of the bench in a match like Dortmund and be a game changer next season we have serious issues as they are not just going to slot (Just like Chirivella & Stewart have not) in like Allen has done the past 3 months.

Considering we should have a busy schedule next year (similar to this years) having Can, Hendo, Milner and say one other class midfielder gives us 4..what happens like this year when we loose 2 to injury?

Sorry..I hope Brannagan and Grujic come and slot right in and become superstars but considering they are 19 and starting in the PL is very different I want someone like a Joe Allen available to step right into a match when it is crunch time on a Wednesday night and know exactly what he is doing.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2086: May 03, 2016 07:17:15 pm
      If we are pinning our hopes on Brannagan and Grujic to come of the bench in a match like Dortmund and be a game changer next season we have serious issues as they are not just going to slot (Just like Chirivella & Stewart have not) in like Allen has done the past 3 months.

Considering we should have a busy schedule next year (similar to this years) having Can, Hendo, Milner and say one other class midfielder gives us 4..what happens like this year when we loose 2 to injury?

Sorry..I hope Brannagan and Grujic come and slot right in and become superstars but considering they are 19 and starting in the PL is very different I want someone like a Joe Allen available to step right into a match when it is crunch time on a Wednesday night and know exactly what he is doing.

I am basing my argument on Jurgens preferred style of 4231 so only 2 midfielders will be on the pitch at the same time.
      Allen will do a job as you say...........I would also prefer a game changer came on, is that Joe?
      I have a feeling Jürgen wants more dynamism and athleticism in midfield.

If he stays he will be squad player as long as he is happy with sitting on the bench.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2087: May 03, 2016 07:38:31 pm
      If he stays he will be squad player as long as he is happy with sitting on the bench.

That is exactly what I was saying...off the bench there is a place for him, and TBF when he came of the bench against Dortmund and several other times this year he was a "game changer".
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2088: May 03, 2016 09:00:28 pm
      That is exactly what I was saying...off the bench there is a place for him, and TBF when he came of the bench against Dortmund and several other times this year he was a "game changer".

Fair enough mate although I doubt Allen was the game changer v Dortmund more like Milner being removed from CM  :)

wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #2089: May 04, 2016 01:00:46 am
      Allen has done well of late,but him alongside others do not offer enough to warrant new contracts.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2090: May 05, 2016 10:21:16 pm

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2091: May 05, 2016 10:39:27 pm
      You know, Allen seems to play with more intensity and belief under Klopp. Seems more assure and aggressive to me.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2092: May 05, 2016 11:05:33 pm
      You know, Allen seems to play with more intensity and belief under Klopp. Seems more assure and aggressive to me.

Probably because he is not being asked to play as a defensive mid like Rodgers had him so much.

Quick Reply