Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Most underrated songs

Read 12244 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,078 posts | 2750 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Most underrated songs
      Aug 20, 2012 09:59:59 pm
      Just listening to definitely maybe and got me thinking. Columbia is a hugely under rated song. A cracking tune but one I rarely if ever hear pople talk about. And not very common on any live setlist of Oasis. Amazing riffs and beat and a cracking line "this is confusion am I confusing you?"

The Beatles have a shed load of songs that people adore but Dear Prudence would fall into the under rated category a brilliant piece of work.

What do feel are underrated songs from any era?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Re: Most underrated songs
      Reply #1: Aug 20, 2012 10:13:46 pm
      Excellent choice Brian.

I'm a big Oasis fan and Colombia is one of their best and possibly my favourite on Definitely Maybe.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8519 
      Reply #2: Aug 21, 2012 12:21:33 pm
      Just listening to definitely maybe and got me thinking. Columbia is a hugely under rated song. A cracking tune but one I rarely if ever hear pople talk about. And not very common on any live setlist of Oasis. Amazing riffs and beat and a cracking line "this is confusion am I confusing you?"

Most of Oasis' underated songs from that era were probably the extra songs you got on the CD singles, some absolute corkers from Definitely Maybe and What's The Story.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,078 posts | 2750 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #3: Aug 21, 2012 12:54:19 pm
      Most of Oasis' underated songs from that era were probably the extra songs you got on the CD singles, some absolute corkers from Definitely Maybe and What's The Story.

Yeah but a lot of them people recognise as great songs. I dont think I ever heard Columbia mentioned
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Aug 21, 2012 01:01:42 pm

Grace by Jeff Buckley is a beautiful album.

Whenever I hear people talk about it they will rifle off:
      Grace    
      Last Goodbye
      Hallelujah
      Dream Brother

Or they might even indulge in the bonus offering of
      Forget Her

As I've listening to the album over the years one song always gets me emotional.
      Jeff Buckley- Lover, You Should've Come Over
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #5: Aug 21, 2012 04:17:01 pm

For me though it's kind of all downhill for Oasis after "(What's the Story) Morning Glory." Some good songs here and there, but nothing nearly as fantastic as those two albums. Although one of my favorite ones by them post "Morning Glory" is "I Hope, I Think, I Know." Always felt that one was underrated.

The Beatles have a shed load of songs that people adore but Dear Prudence would fall into the under rated category a brilliant piece of work.

Yeah The Beatles have a ton. I'd say almost the entire "A Hard Day's Night" album is underrated besides the obvious title song and "Can't Buy Me Love." "I'll Cry Instead," "Anytime at All," and "I'll Be Back" are fantastic tunes that you never hear at all. Some interesting musical stuff going on in those too.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #6: Aug 21, 2012 05:55:51 pm
      ^^^

I hope, I think, I know is another one I agree with. Great song.

I'm not sure if its under rated but my favourite Verve song is one you don't hear too much of
      Velvet Morning.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #7: Aug 21, 2012 06:14:09 pm
      For me though it's kind of all downhill for Oasis after "(What's the Story) Morning Glory." Some good songs here and there, but nothing nearly as fantastic as those two albums. Although one of my favorite ones by them post "Morning Glory" is "I Hope, I Think, I Know." Always felt that one was underrated.

Yeah The Beatles have a ton. I'd say almost the entire "A Hard Day's Night" album is underrated besides the obvious title song and "Can't Buy Me Love." "I'll Cry Instead," "Anytime at All," and "I'll Be Back" are fantastic tunes that you never hear at all. Some interesting musical stuff going on in those too.

Totally agree with you on A Hard Day's Night. I've always thought this one to be a particular gem overlooked.

The Beatles - Things We Said Today (2009 Stereo Remaster)

I always think U2 to be somehow underratedl. For me they are one of the greatest bands ever and no doubt at the top of my list with many great songs that rarely get played live or on the radio. Especially this one.

U2 - Heartland
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #8: Aug 22, 2012 12:12:09 am
      Pretty much anything by Ride, as I think they're a terribly underrated band.

But this song seems to be underrated even by Ride fans... so beautiful:

Ride - Endless Road
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8519 
      Reply #9: Aug 22, 2012 02:50:10 pm

Actually not arguing with you, pretty much agree, but what I'm saying is some of the extra songs on the singles of the first two albums, were just as good as some of the songs on the actual albums.

I always think U2 to be somehow underratedl. For me they are one of the greatest bands ever and no doubt at the top of my list with many great songs that rarely get played live or on the radio. Especially this one.

U2 - Heartland

This off the Joshua Tree for me

U2 Mothers Of The Disappeared (Unofficial Clip)
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #10: Aug 22, 2012 03:12:59 pm
      Actually not arguing with you, pretty much agree, but what I'm saying is some of the extra songs on the singles of the first two albums, were just as good as some of the songs on the actual albums.

This off the Joshua Tree for me

U2 Mothers Of The Disappeared (Unofficial Clip)

Was going to post Mothers Of The Disappeared myself until I remembered Heartland. Here's a fact for you - Kirsty Maccoll arranged the running order of The Joshua Tree by favourite and so on. She obviously didn't think as highly of Mothers Of The Disappeared as the rest of them! Unbelievable and deeply tragic song though. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who says it isn't one of the very best on that album I think.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3350 
      Reply #11: Aug 22, 2012 03:13:01 pm
      Sexuality by Billy Bragg

Mr Clean by the Jam

I Can't Explain by the Who

My Big Mouth by Oasis

Sandstorm by Cast

In The Ghetto by Elvis

My Girl by Madness

Do Nothing by the Specials

Mind Games by John Lennon

Signal Fire by Snow Patrol
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #12: Aug 22, 2012 03:14:53 pm

That's their first single isn't it? Good song. Love the middle 8s, "Dizzy in the head...."
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #13: Aug 22, 2012 03:20:21 pm
      Speaking of Snow Patrol.

From " Final Straw "

"Somewhere A Clock Is Ticking" - Snow Patrol (Sylar Fanvid)
      Somewhere A Clock Is Ticking
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #14: Aug 22, 2012 04:27:13 pm
      Everything this band did after Take On Me was criminally underrated. For me this is one of, if not, the best song of the 80s.

a-ha The Sun Always Shines On Tv
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3350 
      Reply #15: Aug 22, 2012 05:20:44 pm
      Mucky Fingers - Oasis
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #16: Aug 24, 2012 12:03:00 am

What do feel are underrated songs from any era?

Columbia is a great shout for an underrated song. Real rock'n'roll stuff.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #17: Aug 24, 2012 10:22:24 pm
      Weeping Willow - The Verve

kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #18: Aug 24, 2012 10:25:11 pm
      Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven

SONG IS SO UNDERRATED! :P

But in all seriousness: Pink Floyd - Any Colour You Like
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8519 
      Reply #19: Aug 25, 2012 03:43:44 pm

But in all seriousness: Pink Floyd - Any Colour You Like

Totally forgot Pink Floyd - Fearless, those that know and all that and for those that don't the song is awe-inspiring and must be listened to.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #20: Aug 25, 2012 04:11:43 pm
      Totally forgot Pink Floyd - Fearless, those that know and all that and for those that don't the song is awe-inspiring and must be listened to.
      Anyone who is not familiar with the Meddle album has a huge deficiency in their education, when Fearless does overpower the listener and I was well overpowered on many occasions, the emotion felt is a carbon copy of the feeling you used to get in the massed choirs of the Kop many years ago.
      It is amazing though naturally fitting, that ynwa encapsulates the lyrics and meaning of Fearless and there can be no other explanation that either Roger Waters or David Gilmour had been to Anfield and been overpowered themselves by the raw emotion and sincerity of the anthem. 
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #21: Aug 28, 2012 12:30:00 am

I hope people reading this thread are making the effort to listen to other people's recommendations. There's few people more irritating to me than those who say they love music yet can't be arsed to listen to what others suggest.
      I'm at work so won't listen to anything just now but I'll be going through these when I'm home and I can crank them up a bit.

Here's a song (and band) that I think is hugely underrated, 'Dagausser' by Brand New.

It builds until Jesse Lacey is belting out the chorus at the top of his voice and you could do worse than sit back and listen to this in the dark or with your eyes closed, taking it in. The build up is enhanced by what sounds like a choir, which reminds me of Pink Floyd to an extent:

Brand New - Degausser

It's taken from the album 'The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me' [2006] and I don't know how it it perceived in the US but it went largely unnoticed here in the UK. The only track I ever hear played outside of my car / house is 'Sowing Season' which features on one of those Rock Band or Guitar Hero games. I may as well post that as well:

Brand New - Sowing Season

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #22: Aug 28, 2012 01:26:30 am

:D I actually developed an aversion to this song. I know it's brilliant but I'm so tired of it!

Great shout! I also think The Verve's first album, 'A Storm in Heaven', is underrated almost in its entirety. They were more of a shoegazing band back then, and it's one of my favorite music styles.

The Verve - Beautiful Mind (1993) HD w/lyrics

Quick Reply