Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Tactics geeks of the world unite...

Read 152039 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Tactics geeks of the world unite...
      Reply #460: Mar 01, 2015 10:25:10 pm
      Yes shocking isn't it how we are top of the current form league with such awful wing backs.  ;)

Yes, we have no weaknesses...

Where's your evidence? Especially in defence? I saw very little success from Man City down both flanks today. I don't have a clue what you're watching. Moreno and Markovic, while questionable in attack at the moment are perfectly content in their positions. Their pace and work rate alone is a large factor to our sound defensive performances of late. They cover a lot of ground on those flanks. The idea of dropping Moreno is utterly bizarre as well considering the serious lack of options we have there.

Watch when City started getting momentum in midfield and their fullbacks playing as wingers and Moreno/Markovic not tracking their runs.

Ibe is the perfect example of what you want out wide - these two are not. Way too limited.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,533 posts | 722 
      Reply #461: Mar 01, 2015 10:29:57 pm
      Would be a waste of Can and Lallanas talents to play them wingback.

We have a lot of attacking fullbacks would could fill those positions.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #462: Mar 01, 2015 10:45:03 pm
      Speaking of tactics I actually felt that City were the first team to have properly figured this formation out in that first half. They were knocking balls between the wing-backs and centre halves for Aguero to run onto, our two lads in the middle were pressing the ball higher up the pitch only for them to keep slipping balls into Arguero and Silva behind us as they played between the lines and we couldn't get anywhere near Toure. I was actually asking for a switch back to a flat back four at half time but what do I know! Excellent half time adjustments from the gaffer, he said in his post match presser that they talked about shortening the pitch and that's exactly what we did, just stepped up to the half way line, got on top of Toure and the boys at the back did a great job on Aguero anytime they tried to release him thereafter. I thought they were all superb in that second half, even the wing backs! It was a dominant performance against a top side who have been bang on form.

Most impressive for me was the bravery to step out even further and press the ball this last ten minutes, this goes against every defensive instinct which says drop off and defend and takes balls to do.

I completely take my hat off to the manager he played a blinder

Rodgers did play a blinder. As he said they squeezed up more, the defense pushed higher, and the midfield were tighter which closed space down for the likes of Silva and Aguero.

Not only that but he wanted us on the ball more. We were being dominated by them in the first half, both territorialy and in terms of possession and were conceding ground and getting deeper and deeper which looked ominous. I was glad HT came TBH. But the change and turnaround by BR at HT worked a treat and we played on the front foot more, rather than counter attack of the first half and thus were in control of the game more. Brilliant!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #463: Mar 09, 2015 05:06:03 pm
      With Sturridge back I think we need to tinker with the formation. Playing Sterling at wing back, left or right is a real waste of his ability imo. We need to somehow get him alongside Coutinho and just off Sturridge. Too many square pegs in round holes yesterday for my liking. As well as Sterling being thrown to the left we had Can who for me is not good enough in centre midfield at moving the ball accurately and effectively, Markovic who is offering very little at right wing back and Lallana who is not stepping up to the responsibility of providing goals and assists that Coutinho now is.

It just felt like we were trying to get our best players in the team yesterday at the expense of the balance and cohesion of the side. Is wing back really the position for Sterling going forward? Lallana is my man to make way within the current system, and fingers being pointed at Markovic as to what he's offering as well. Lallana could get a reprieve in his position.

Another point and I might be going early here and completely wrong, but with Sturridge back is this the right formation anymore to get the best from our attacking players? Perhaps it has served its purpose for now.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #464: Mar 09, 2015 05:20:31 pm
      The problem yesterday stemmed from the midfield not being able to get the ball to Coutinho or Raheem quickly enough i between the lines.

When you have a low block like Blackburn set up then with the system we are playing with 3 CB's it is the responsibility of the outside CB's to step up and bring the ball into midfield to create an extra player and get one of the opposition defenders to step out and leave space.
      Unfortunately Johnson and Lovren are just not capable of doing that infact Johnson yesterday thought he was a full back for most of the game!

So nothing wrong with our system its just that yesterday the lack of Sakho and Can at CB really hampered our play and lets not forget its not just attack but this system has been put into place to make us more solid.

Same system blew Man City away    ;)
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #465: Mar 09, 2015 05:56:33 pm
      We were down to Johnson-Toure-Lovren from Can-Skrtel-Sakho. I told my cousin after seeing the line up that its gonna be difficult during recirculations and to bring the ball out. And that was the case cos of our defenders' inability to complete a forward pass, Migs having a tough time with communication and our wingbacks pretty much nullified. Coutinho and Lallana (if at all the latter did anything) had to drop deeper a lot of times to collect the ball and I remember a couple of instances where Sturridge dropped back deep and collected a hardly 15-yard pass from Lovren. Kudos to Migs, he kept us in the game.

I think, for the replay, our 'original 3' will play, but we need more end-product/creative play from our wing backs. Markovic is fading with each passing game, Moreno unspectacular and clearly, Sterling as a wingback hasnt lit up the system yet!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #466: Mar 09, 2015 07:38:51 pm
      I mean we could try....

--------------Migs
      ------Can----Skrtel----Sahko
      Ibe----------Gerrard------------Moreno
      ------Henderson----Coutinho
      --------------Sterling
      --------------Sturridge

Back 3 which we know works... Diamond which we know works... Do they work together? Worth a shot?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #467: Mar 09, 2015 08:48:58 pm
      I mean we could try....

--------------Migs
      ------Can----Skrtel----Sahko
      Ibe----------Gerrard------------Moreno
      ------Henderson----Coutinho
      --------------Sterling
      --------------Sturridge

Back 3 which we know works... Diamond which we know works... Do they work together? Worth a shot?

Gerrard as DM..............ummh no thanks.

Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #468: Mar 09, 2015 10:28:40 pm
      The problem yesterday stemmed from the midfield not being able to get the ball to Coutinho or Raheem quickly enough i between the lines

Is absolutely correct mate. Hats off to Blackburn they really did a fine job defensively. Every single player carried out their job to the letter, even in the last 10-15 minutes when you could see they were getting tired. They played a fairly high line so they were able to compress play at times it what they did particularly well was to screen our forward players and to starve Coutinho (especially) and Studge of any decent possession. And even when those two did get on the ball, they did a superb Job of tracking runners and closing spaces. They made it very difficult for our three centre-halves to get the ball forward, it was a table-football approach and it worked. A lot of posters were getting on the back of our lads for the performance yesterday but I thought that was a discredit to Blackburn who fully deserved the draw and even had a few bright moments in that first half where they could have scored themselves.

I suspect those tactic will be a blueprint for other sides when they come to Anfield for the rest of the season but I suspect no one will pull it off quite as effectively.

A few tactical observations from me would be:

- Everybody loves Emre Can and wants to see him in the middle of the park but those barnstorming runs he goes on are in many ways easier to do when he plays in the CB position and the first man he has to beat is a forward and then the space opens up for him. Much much tougher to do from CM.

- Dare I say it but did we miss Joe Allen? He is excellent on the 2nd ball, he anticipates things well and is very good in the press, also covers ground over short spaces very well. Can brings other things to the table but he isn't the quickest over short distances and doesn't offer the mobility that Joe can bring when he is on his game (as has been the case in recent matches)

- I fully agree with the thoughts on Sterling above from Fields of Anny Road, Brendan was clearly trying to accommodate his best players and figured Raheem wouldn't have much defending to do, he didn't BUT it's far fr I'm his best position and I would have preferred to see him in Lallana's position on the day where he can do more damage without the shackles of defending the line.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #469: Mar 10, 2015 07:07:02 am
      Gerrard as DM..............ummh no thanks.

Reading it wrong, he won't be doing much defending, I was thinking a Pirlo role, although that may not work so Lucas could slot in there.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #470: Mar 10, 2015 07:42:15 am
      Mignolet

Can     Skrtel     Sakho

Lallana    Allen    Henderson    Moreno

Sterling     Coutinho

Sturridge
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #471: Mar 10, 2015 09:58:40 am
      Mignolet

Can     Skrtel     Sakho

Lallana    Allen    Henderson    Moreno

Sterling     Coutinho

Sturridge

Not that I have any real issues with Markovic playing out wide but that line-up works for me, it's our best 11 given the players who are available at the moment.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #472: Mar 10, 2015 09:07:52 pm
      You know, watching the game tonight in Madrid, I really like how Schalke take advantage of the offsides rule on throw-ins.  I think we should do the same more often, considering how fast our front attacking players are I think we could really get some joy that way.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #473: Mar 10, 2015 09:17:48 pm
      You know, watching the game tonight in Madrid, I really like how Schalke take advantage of the offsides rule on throw-ins.  I think we should do the same more often, considering how fast our front attacking players are I think we could really get some joy that way.

Suarez used to do it at every given opportunity. Amazing how many defenders fall asleep at that moment.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #474: Mar 10, 2015 09:32:28 pm
      Suarez used to do it at every given opportunity. Amazing how many defenders fall asleep at that moment.

To be honest I wouldn't even be surprised if a lot of players don't even know the rule exists.
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #475: Mar 12, 2015 04:04:07 pm

Suarez was the best player I have ever seen from throw-ins, the way he used to show for the ball and then roll the defender without even touching the ball and then he would be away and we'd have them turned. He used to do it over and over again.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #476: Mar 16, 2015 06:07:50 pm
      Rumours doing the rounds that Brendan has been training using Stevie at RCB. 

I'd prefer to see Can remain there as what he brings to that position is unique but if he was to be injured or need a rest I reckon that would work, short term.

He'll have cover behind, won't need to run much, he's played on the right before and can use his long range passing from there to good effect.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #477: Mar 16, 2015 06:28:36 pm
      Rumours doing the rounds that Brendan has been training using Stevie at RCB. 
      Not that I would be surprised..

Steven Gerrard could become a centre-back - Brendan Rodgers

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25158730
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #478: Mar 16, 2015 06:55:20 pm
      Not that I would be surprised..

Steven Gerrard could become a centre-back - Brendan Rodgers

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25158730

Be an easier fit with the 3 at the back though, I wouldn't like to see it as a 2 it would be a disaster.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #479: Mar 16, 2015 10:59:26 pm
      Be an easier fit with the 3 at the back though, I wouldn't like to see it as a 2 it would be a disaster.

I could see him playing where Can does

Edit: Also just realised that article is over a year old. Strange time to post that.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #480: Mar 16, 2015 11:05:22 pm
      I could see him playing where Can does

Edit: Also just realised that article is over a year old. Strange time to post that.

Yeah same here mate.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,411 posts | 3406 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #481: Mar 16, 2015 11:06:04 pm
      Stevie doesn't have the pace or positioning to play at the back, surprised this has come up again
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #482: Mar 17, 2015 12:17:36 am
      Stevie doesn't have the pace or positioning to play at the back, surprised this has come up again

He might not have the pace but I'm not sure you can back up the claim he doesn't have the positioning given he has never played there before? He reads the game well, he's strong, he is good in the air, he has height and he is strong the tackle. I'd say he has a fair list of attributes to play there. He is slow on the turn these days but then many centre-halves are and still do the job very well.

Quick Reply