Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Tactics geeks of the world unite...

Read 152135 times
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Re: Tactics geeks of the world unite...
      Reply #69: Feb 04, 2013 06:21:02 pm
      To me, it seems like Rodgers has been settling on a 4-4-1-1 formation lately (against Norwich, Arsenal, and City).  He has been using Sturridge up top to create an outlet with his pace, which creates a pocket of space for Suarez to operate in just behind.  He has been using Lucas/Gerrard similarly to how Rafa used to Masch/Alonso play - one as a destroyer, and the other as the metronome.  Downing and Hendo have been utilized as inverted RM and LM respectively, and by cutting inside they are creating space for our fullbacks to exploit on the overlap.  I completely agree with Si that our team really needs an attacking fullback on each side to provide natural width in our attacks.  Look at Gerrard's goal - it was the byproduct of a great overlapping run by Enrique, although it helped that the ball fell nicely to one of the best distance shooters in the game!! 

It seems as if BR has been opting for industry rather than flair in the outside midfield positions, as evidenced by Hendo and Downing's inclusion ahead of the likes of Suso and Sterling.  The argument could also be made that it is about experience rather than industry, but I think he is looking for a balanced midfield 4 who can remove the defensive burden from Luis and Sturridge and allow them to focus on attacking. 

If this is the case, and BR is switching his tactical setup from a 4-3-3 to a 4-4-1-1, where does that leave the likes of Suso, Sterling, Assaidi, and even Coutinho?  I personally thought that Rodgers would utilize Coutinho as a wide player in a 4-3-3, but if we persist with the 4-4-1-1 that we have been playing lately then I think the only position he can play is the #10 role behind the main striker, so he would be an alternative to Luis for that position.  As for Sterling, Suso, and Assaidi, none of them are conventional outside midfielders.  Sterling and Assaidi are wingers, and many of us believe that Suso is best utilized through the middle, which would place him in competition with Luis and Coutinho for the #10 spot in the team.  This really only leaves us with 2 outside midfielders (Downing and Hendo) and Hendo is really more of a CM in all honesty.  If Rodgers does decide to persist with a 4-4-1-1, then we may well see BR move for a player in the James Milner mold over the summer - someone who's work rate and energy will provide support in both attack and defense, and is versatile enough to play down either flank. 

Or, we may well see a switch back to a 4-3-3 formation as we take on some of the "weaker" sides in the coming weeks.  He may well have just wanted to add more defensive cover to our team for the away games to Arsenal and City, and we will see him revert to the 4-3-3 against WBA.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #70: Feb 04, 2013 06:55:31 pm
      What I was most impressed with yesterday was the ball rentention and the camping out of possession within Man City's final 3rd. It's something Barcelona just do amazingly well, ball retention in and around the opposition's penalty box. We got players forward in support, moving about and at times found it very comfortable keeping possession in that final third.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #71: Feb 04, 2013 08:12:08 pm
      Couple of interesting posts lads there..

I was thinking earlier about how the formation is developing and where Coutinho is going to come in..

I personally think the formation is evolving with time and indeed new additions to the squad.. I think (even though we will eed to see over a longer period) that at home against the "weaker" sides Brendan still sets up 4-3-3/4-2-3-1, a variation between the two with the front 3 flexable in terms of being able to shift positions.. Away or against "stronger" sides there seems to be a determination to be tighter at the back and not commit so many forward that we have been doing.. Something im very grateful for.
      There seems to be a lesser need for both full backs to bomb forward constantly, they seem to pick and choose when to go and seemingly one at a time, and if one goes Lucas has the responsibility to cover that full back and Gerrard then drops slightly deeper into the middle..

Sturridge now stays high... Keeps the defence on their toes and pushed back, Luis has more of a free role to get involved where he wants.. And Dowing, whilst still frustrating at times is key to the defensive aspect as he has the awareness to drop in to midfield when needed, whereas a Suso, albeit still learning the game was leaving the full backs exposed by not doing the defensive side at times..
      Henderson is Key, or more his legs, his engine.. Now we are when available always going to pick Lucas and Gerrard in the 3, Henderson though is providing the 110% energy to knit the midfield and attack in terms of ground covered and always being the first (along with Suarez who is an excellent presser) to put pressure on the oppostion when they are starting attacks.. Its vital.. It allows Lucas to stay deeper in the midfield and allows Gerrard to do things as and when he requires, as at 32 his days of 90mph for 90 minutes are going.. Henderson at times does his running..

Soccer formations made easy with this11.com

That brings me on to thinking where Coutinho comes in, and i think he will going on what Rodgers said about him being ready straight away..
      Im not sure on his workrate, not that he doesnt do it, ive just not watched him for 90minutes game in game out to know if he is defensively switched on or if he is  more a traditional "luxury" playmaker..
      If he is then Henderson's energy in the No.10 role will be missed.. Even though Hendo isnt a playmaker as such his energy in that balanced 3 is vital.. So will Coutinho take Downings place on the wide forward role? Especially to start while he gets used to the pace of the league id gues so..

Use this11.com for tactics for football

Personally thats what im hoping for at least to start with, let the 3 up top do the damage, have Sturridge as the focal point, have Coutinho and Suarez drifting and causing havoc.. Let Henderson continue as essentially the first line of defence and in a midfield 3 with Lucas and Gerrrard which is getting better by the week, and let the back 4 be just that.. Defenders first.. Yes the full backs adding width but with responsibility..

That side with time to develop for the next 3 months and we could start to see the vision coming to show the results
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #72: Feb 04, 2013 08:49:06 pm
      One thing that has pleased me from a tactical perspective was Brendan making the change after the Arsenal game.

I, along with many of us, have criticised him for not making use of the players available and sticking too rigidly to his own system while neglecting the opposition but at the weekend I feel he got it spot on.

Against Arsenal Suarez was wide left for a lot of the game and although he played well there it kind of nullified his attacking threat. By moving Henderson there, who is never going to be the same attacking threat as Luis anyway, we got our best and most productive attacker in a more dangerous position while also making use of Jordan's energy and work rate.

That one example alone has pleased me more than most as far as Brendan is concerned.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #73: Feb 05, 2013 02:43:21 pm
      To me, it seems like Rodgers has been settling on a 4-4-1-1 formation lately (against Norwich, Arsenal, and City).  He has been using Sturridge up top to create an outlet with his pace, which creates a pocket of space for Suarez to operate in just behind.  He has been using Lucas/Gerrard similarly to how Rafa used to Masch/Alonso play - one as a destroyer, and the other as the metronome.  Downing and Hendo have been utilized as inverted RM and LM respectively, and by cutting inside they are creating space for our fullbacks to exploit on the overlap.  I completely agree with Si that our team really needs an attacking fullback on each side to provide natural width in our attacks.  Look at Gerrard's goal - it was the byproduct of a great overlapping run by Enrique, although it helped that the ball fell nicely to one of the best distance shooters in the game!! 

It seems as if BR has been opting for industry rather than flair in the outside midfield positions, as evidenced by Hendo and Downing's inclusion ahead of the likes of Suso and Sterling.  The argument could also be made that it is about experience rather than industry, but I think he is looking for a balanced midfield 4 who can remove the defensive burden from Luis and Sturridge and allow them to focus on attacking. 

If this is the case, and BR is switching his tactical setup from a 4-3-3 to a 4-4-1-1, where does that leave the likes of Suso, Sterling, Assaidi, and even Coutinho?  I personally thought that Rodgers would utilize Coutinho as a wide player in a 4-3-3, but if we persist with the 4-4-1-1 that we have been playing lately then I think the only position he can play is the #10 role behind the main striker, so he would be an alternative to Luis for that position.  As for Sterling, Suso, and Assaidi, none of them are conventional outside midfielders.  Sterling and Assaidi are wingers, and many of us believe that Suso is best utilized through the middle, which would place him in competition with Luis and Coutinho for the #10 spot in the team.  This really only leaves us with 2 outside midfielders (Downing and Hendo) and Hendo is really more of a CM in all honesty.  If Rodgers does decide to persist with a 4-4-1-1, then we may well see BR move for a player in the James Milner mold over the summer - someone who's work rate and energy will provide support in both attack and defense, and is versatile enough to play down either flank. 

Or, we may well see a switch back to a 4-3-3 formation as we take on some of the "weaker" sides in the coming weeks.  He may well have just wanted to add more defensive cover to our team for the away games to Arsenal and City, and we will see him revert to the 4-3-3 against WBA.

A few additional thoughts I had last night.....

I was wondering where Borini would fit in if BR does continue to persist with a 4-4-1-1 on a regular basis.  I like the lad, but I don't particularly fancy him as the lone CF, nor do I think he is suited to playing the #10 role.  Rather, I think Borini's best qualities are very similar to Kuyt's - fitness, work rate, tenacity, and persistence.  He has good technique, but I think his main contributions to our team will be made through sheer effort.  For this reason, I think he could be a useful asset on the flank of the 4-4-1-1. 

The more I thought about this, the more I liked it.  BR has been using Hendo as an inverted LM, and I think Borini could easily do the same job.  He could cut infield onto his stronger right foot to look for an opportunity to shoot, which will create space for Enrique on the overlap.  He has the willingness to get into the box to try to finish off chances.  And he also has the work rate and energy to track the attacking runs of opposition fullbacks so we do not get caught shorthanded in defense. 

While I want BR to persist with the team we have put out against Norwich, Arsenal, and City (Suarez in behind Sturridge unlike against Arsenal) in the game against WBA, I would like to see him give Borini a run out at LM and Coutinho some minutes in the #10 role towards the end of the game.  Fortunately, we should be about 4 goals to the good by half time, so it should make Rodgers decision a bit easier :)
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #74: Feb 12, 2013 08:10:39 pm
      I much prefer to post in this thread as the BR thread just gets silly and agressive most of the time. Just a few thoughts on our tactics last night.

- Clearly Sturridge not being fit was a big loss last night. I personally wasn't very happy with the starting line-up and despite the fact we dominated, it was very much of the huff and puff variety.

- Tha main reason for this was the change-up in personel. Now Henderson has been playing very well in the 10 role the last few weeks which is a strange one because there is very little about his game that suggests he should be effective there. He's not particularly blessed with the craft or guille to slot players in or play balls around the corner and neither is he someone who can really run at players or do damage with his dribbling skills, and in truth his shooting isn't especially effective from outside the box either. HOWEVER, he does press and harry when we lose the ball, some of his movement in recent weeks has been intelligent (often creating space for others), he uses the ball quickly which has contributed to some high tempo performances and his fitness/engine and willingness to get about the pitch have also been very good. But the reaosn he has been effective in this position is because of the performance of the front 3 in recent weeks. Suarez, Sturridge and Downing have been a handful lately, their movement and the threat they offer in behind has kept defences very honest and it has freed up lots of space for our midfield 3 to get the ball down and play.

- I don't think the gaffer made the right choices in replacing Sturridge. I would have been tempted to play Sterling in the inside left role and would have left Henderson to play the role he has been playing the past few weeks to such good effect. The minute he was asked to play wide left with Shelvey playing the 10 role we suddenly look impotent. Downing has been playing quite well for a while now (at least for me he has) but he has benefitted massively from the impact Sturridge has made. As a defence last night they only really needed to worry about Suarez as a goal threat. Henderson does't threaten in behind and Shelvey doesn't move the ball quickly enough to play in the 10 role for me (he does have some quality but not in that area). At least with Sterling in the side you have the threat of him running at players, playing on the shoulder, being more dangerous on the break, winning free-kicks in dangerous areas etc. I know his form has been patchy the past month but it would have made better sense I think.

- The other point to raise is Gerrard. As well as he has been playing in that sitting role this last 4-5 games I still believe he should play further forward IF one of Sturridge or Suarez is not available. When either of those two are missing his (Stevie's) ability to pick a pass is diminished considerably so for me he has to step forward and play the 10 role in these situations where he can effect our attacking play more fully. I don't think he should be pigeon holed into one position just yet.

My general take on things (despite the hysteria in the other thread) is that despite any disagreements you might have with the starting line-up last night, lets not lose sight of the fact it was one of the most one-sided 80 minutes of football you'll ever see and how we weren't a couple of goals ahead by that time is beyond me. Clearly there are a few issues defensively and it's a worry to see us lose another goal to an individual error (Agger once again) at a set-piece.

However, I wonder if anyone checked the West Brom team coach before they left Anfield last night as I suspect they might have made it away with our 5 European Cups such as well as the win.   
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #75: Feb 15, 2013 12:43:12 pm
      I, and a few others, thought the manager got it wrong last night and I'm not just saying it because we lost as I had posted a different side I thought should play before the game.

The two areas I thought Brendan got wrong was in midfield, again, and the front three.

Going away to Russia against a very good side should have seen us keep things tight for the early stages and eventually bring on fresh legs to try and get a goal to bring back to Anfield but I feel the selection made left us far too open and although we looked like scoring a few and could have got the goals needed early the set up left us more open to losing the game.

In midfield Brendan went with a three of Gerrard, Allen and Henderson with Jordan the most advanced.

Allen  Gerrard

Henderson

I've mentioned it before that I don't think these three work together in a midfield as Allen doesn't offer enough defensively to help Gerrard and therefore Stevie has more work to do and leaves Jordan more isolated further forward. We got so over run in midfield at times that Brendan had to get Henderson to drop back which then left too much space between the midfield and attack. I know a few thought that Jordan was playing too far forward but for me that's the role he was asked to play and it was the ineffectiveness of the other two, Allen in particular, that meant we had to change.

I would have started Lucas instead of Allen in the three as he offers much more cover for the CB even now as he is recovering from injury. I feel this would have given us a better balance in  midfield and wouldn't have left us as stretched as we looked at times. Gerrard always looks a better player beside Lucas as he can get forward more often as he knows the cover is more  likely to be there but with Allen I feel Gerrard is always thinking he has to look after him so to speak.

In the front three I think it was a mistake to start Sterling, not because I think he isn't up to it, more that I think we needed someone to just hold position and give their defenders some movement to track and I would have started Borini. With Lucas and Gerrard holding it would allow Henderson, Borini and Suarez to press higher up the pitch and maybe after 60/70 minutes we could have brought Sterling on to try and stretch the game a little.

Lucas  Gerrard

Henderson

Downing  Suarez  Borini

To me that has much more the look of a side going away to a tough European tie to try and contain the opposition with players on the bench who could come on fresh and try and change the game. Instead we had Lucas come on.

The defense was alright but personally I would have started Wisdom and Glen at FB to give us a more solid look and Glen could get forward when Borini was inside while Wisdom is more inclined to sit further back and would have given us more protection at the back.

Just how I seen it last night and where I feel we went wrong.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #76: Feb 15, 2013 01:04:39 pm
      say bren gets sacked.  Places us interim incharge of team selection tactics. 
      1.  Now we park the bus against swansea.
      2.  When is possession tika taka football keep possession with some shots on goal.
      3.  Keep Clean sheet.
      4.  Swansea got higher hope than us to finish above us me thinks they think so will look to win.
      5.  5 man defense 4 man mid field Lone striker.
      6.  Subs :  Lucas levia more defense, Coates more defence and set piece threath along with already Agger and Skertel. Last sub maybbe Borini inplace of the under performer of Sturridge or Suarez.  Straight Sub. Midfield Push Gerrad up cos he's more favourite to score with Hendo guarding the back five.  The L and R Backs constantly running up and down with regular interchanges and horizontal runs.
      7.  They will attack and attack with venom mark my word and will not be aware of our sucker punch.  No regrets if boring game and 0-0.  Point is point top 4 has gone.  Maybe nick a win.  score a goal don't care continue with same tactics.  Don't go for kill, use time waste without getting yellow card.  Experienced players do a Pirlo to mind fcuk the opposition.  When ref not looking wind up players try to get em sent off.  A little dive here and there worth yellow card but if you can con ref for pen.  Time to be do a ric flair and be the dirtiest player in the game.  hate to be saying these stuffs but what to do.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,010 posts | 3352 
      Reply #77: Feb 15, 2013 06:44:42 pm
      In response to Si's post;

I said last night, I thought the side that was selected was alright and had enough chances to win the game. If I'm nitpicking then I would of went with Wisdom on the right and Johnson on the left. Mainly because I just feel Enrique is sh*t and actually find Johnson a better defender on the left. Also, I prefer to see him cut in on his stronger right foot than his left, which he does too frequently when at right back.

Allen and Lucas have been as bad as each other this year. I don't feel Lucas has covered the back four greatly this season, so his involvement wouldn't of added much in my opinion. The only benefit I can see is Stevie has played immensely better when Allen has been out of the side. And I certainly wouldn't of had Borini in the side. To me the fella just isn't up to it. Any team including him is weaker than any team including Sterling. However, if Borini was to play, it'd of been in place of Allen with Henderson dropping deeper alongside Stevie, Suarez playing up top with Borini. Though Suarez would of been asked to play deeper no doubt.

So in terms of selection, I'd say Brendan got it right. But as I said last night, it was his substitution that was wrong. And not using the other two to his disposal was just daft. If he wanted to bring Lucas on, fair enough, but bring on players who are gonna change the game in a positive manner as well.

For the return leg, we need to score at least three. I'd say four because Zenit looked good enough to be able to score at Anfield. So he (Brendan) has to throw on his attacking players from the off. Zenit, as good as they looked at times, were F***ing woeful defensively. So we can get at them early and hopefully erase the two nil deficit within the first half.

I would say go with two out and out forwards, but that means Borini as we have no other forward to partner Suarez in Europe. But we need goals so next Thursday is the night our young Italian has to step up to the plate.

I don't normally predict line ups but as I'd rather see us go out trying to win, than go out without a fight I'm gonna go throw in a gung-ho XI -

Reina
      Johnson
      Carra
      Agger
      Downing
      Gerrard
      Henderson
      Suso
      Suarez
      Sterling
      Borini

We're out if we lose 10-0 or draw 0-0 at Anfield. So let's at least attempt to get the goals we need to go through. All out attack!!!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #78: Feb 15, 2013 06:55:30 pm
      Allen and Lucas have been as bad as each other this year. I don't feel Lucas has covered the back four greatly this season, so his involvement wouldn't of added much in my opinion. The only benefit I can see is Stevie has played immensely better when Allen has been out of the side. And I certainly wouldn't of had Borini in the side. To me the fella just isn't up to it. Any team including him is weaker than any team including Sterling. However, if Borini was to play, it'd of been in place of Allen with Henderson dropping deeper alongside Stevie, Suarez playing up top with Borini. Though Suarez would of been asked to play deeper no doubt.

I hear what you're saying in regards to Lucas not exactly shining so far this season Billy but as I said for me Gerrard has played much better this season when Lucas and Henderson have been in the side and last night was a game for that three in my opinion.

On Borini and Sterling normally I'd have Sterling straight in but again for the type of game it was and the opposition I thought Borini would have been a better option on the left and have Raheem coming on later as legs tired.

Totally agree on Wisdom and Glen as the full backs and also you're last point about an all out attacking side next week as there is little point in playing a safe game.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #79: Feb 15, 2013 07:09:40 pm
      Not all out Gung Ho for me.  Thats why its tough to be the gaffer so many decisions.  Key decisions too.  My approach would be to settle down.  Make sure you don't concede early. 2 down 90 mins to play still in it.  Figure out their tactics.  How deep they are falling back or how high they will press or even if thet too are going gunho for an away goal to kill the tie.  Foremost dont concede.  As half time approaches say about 10 mins left, switch gear and attack change the rhythm catch them napping and by the grace of almighty boom goalllll!!!!
      Than in second half more subs more attacking options and go for kill.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #80: Feb 15, 2013 08:31:45 pm
      Here is a question for the other posters:  Would you rather we try to continue to adhere to BR's philosophy of possession based footie that is based around quick, short passes and breaking down the opposition, or would you prefer us to revert to a more direct approach in search of more immediate results? 

I think most would have to agree that Barca are the best team in the world right now.  I think that the style Rodgers is trying to implement here is very similar to the way Barca approach the game, but we simply do not have anywhere near the quality of players that Barca have. 

On the flip side, we could instead aim for the opposite end of the spectrum - make the team hard to beat and play direct on the counter.  Chelsea's CL run last season is a fantastic example of what can be achieved through this type of gameplan, and they beat the pass kings Barca even with 10 men in one of the games. 

Personally, I want us to continue to employ an attack minded, possession based style of footie.  Barca have shown that it can be incredibly effective if you have the right players.  I also find this style of play to be much more enjoyable to watch.  Just my two cents though.....

Thoughts ???
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #81: Feb 15, 2013 08:43:34 pm
      Here is a question for the other posters:  Would you rather we try to continue to adhere to BR's philosophy of possession based footie that is based around quick, short passes and breaking down the opposition, or would you prefer us to revert to a more direct approach in search of more immediate results? 

I think most would have to agree that Barca are the best team in the world right now.  I think that the style Rodgers is trying to implement here is very similar to the way Barca approach the game, but we simply do not have anywhere near the quality of players that Barca have. 

On the flip side, we could instead aim for the opposite end of the spectrum - make the team hard to beat and play direct on the counter.  Chelsea's CL run last season is a fantastic example of what can be achieved through this type of gameplan, and they beat the pass kings Barca even with 10 men in one of the games. 

Personally, I want us to continue to employ an attack minded, possession based style of footie.  Barca have shown that it can be incredibly effective if you have the right players.  I also find this style of play to be much more enjoyable to watch.  Just my two cents though.....

Thoughts ???

Considering the amount of years we've been known as a pass and move team, I'd hate to be the new stoke.

Stick with a plan once you have it, otherwise you end up going nowhere except round in circles (generic you, not you in particular ;D )
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #82: Feb 15, 2013 08:49:18 pm
      we all like attacking style football.  And in a few games we have played very well.  But no level of consistency and bad mistakes.  Back to basics for me.  Only when defense is sorted think of attack.  conceding far too much.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,538 posts | 725 
      Reply #83: Feb 16, 2013 07:11:18 pm
      We need to sort out our defensive tactics over signing 'men'.

Basically, we concede too many goals. Even when we were supposedly 'rubbish' under Rafa, we did not let in goals and had a top four defensive record.

Our leaking goals is the most worrying aspect for me
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #84: Feb 18, 2013 11:48:06 am
      A slight change from Brendan yesterday and what a change it was.

The addition of Sturridge has already seen us play slightly differently depending on who played with him but for the moswt part it was still vaguely a 4 3 3 as he used three midfield players and three forwards.

I thought it differed yesterday as we had four forwards and  two in midfield and against most of the sides in this league it should be a system and team that will cause many problems with our movement and attacking quality.

I seen it as this

Lucas  Gerrard

Downing  Suarez  Coutinho

Sturridge

Pretty much a 4 2 3 1 like we had in the days under Rafa but the difference is that, Downing apart who I'll get back to, the other three interchange positions at will and give the opposition dfenders lots to think about. Suarez did drop deep from time to time but the difference when you play a forward in that position instead of a midfielder like Henderson is that we always were looking forward and had plenty of quick thinking attacking play. It's that forward playing there that changes the formation more than the formation itself by how they play in the position.

Another massive plus for me was the two of Lucas and Gerrard as they dominated in midfield and many times we sween them press high up the pitch and close the space so we were camped outside there box for long spells. Too many times this season we leave too big a gap between midfield and attack but yesterday showed how it should be done and that was with us in effect a man light in midfield.

But you have to have the right two for this to work and in our squad Lucas and Gerrard are that two as Allen doesn't have the same attributes as Lucas and can look a little lost at times as to when to go forward and when to sit back. Lucas with more experience, and also as he's a better player in my opinion, knows instinctively how to play in a two alongside the cpatain. It also means Gerrard isn't constantly looking over his shoulder as to what Allen is doing as he trusts Lucas to cover and hold position.

Suarez and Sturridge were also vital as Daniel playing as a CF will give us an outlet ball but also his movement is such that he is never in the one position and links up perfectly with Luis. Suarez as the 10 as I said is always looking forward but also will move aroung the pitch and drop deep to play balls through which gives us the link between the forwrads and the midfield and showed great vision a few times yesterday.

Downing also played a vital role as he was the one of the forward four who held position and gave us the width up front as he was always available for the pass and worked very well with Glen on the right.

A mouth watering prospect was seen yesterday and I'm much rather see us go for teams like that, whcih we should be doing to thet vast majority of them, than playing safe with Hendo on the left and asuch. As much as it served a purpose, and still will against tougher opposition at times, this is the way forwrad for me.

Well done Brendan as you deserve praise for yesterday as it is the best I've seen us play in quite a while.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,415 posts | 3409 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #85: Feb 18, 2013 12:14:05 pm
      As said in the Rogers thread it will be interesting to see if the formation and line up is the same against Wigan (when Sturridge and Coutinho are available), wigan if they're playing 3-4-3 could outnumber us in the middle of the park so I wouldn't be surprised if Henderson came in and played more to the left instead of Couthino.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #86: Feb 18, 2013 12:28:47 pm

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #87: Feb 18, 2013 12:35:31 pm
      Interesting that for Chelsea's 4-1 win over Wigan Mata was dropped.
      The shape remained a 4-2-3-1 but the key is the personnel change.
      In our case maybe Henderson comes in for Coutinho.

Luiz             Ramires

Oscar            Lampard            Hazard

Torres

26. Ali Al Habsi   
      23. Ronnie Stam   
      33. Paul Scharner   
      5. Gary Caldwell   
      31. Maynor Figueroa   
      4. James McCarthy   
      16. James McArthur   
      22. Jean Beausejour   
      18. Roger Espinoza   
      10. Shaun Maloney   
      9. Franco Di Santo

Wigan will try to win it in midfield.
      The formation for Wigan will probably look more like the 3-1-4-2 against Stoke.

Personally I'd keep Coutinho and drop Downing.

Lucas             Gerrard

Suarez              Henderson              Coutinho

Sturridge

BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #88: Feb 19, 2013 11:59:25 am
      Wigan will try to win it in midfield

Wigan will try to win it full stop.  Martinez has a personal point to prove to FSG IMO.  Should have enough to beat them but they have a tricky attack and me personally am hoping to see for better defence showing masterclass against these lot.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #89: Feb 19, 2013 01:01:58 pm
      Wigan will try to win it full stop. 

By packing the midfield.
      We can do a lot of damage by exploiting the wide areas with Johnson and Enrique.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #90: Feb 19, 2013 01:09:28 pm
      We can do a lot of damage by exploiting the wide areas with Johnson and Enrique.

A reason I'd keep Downing in for this one racer. He stretches the play and holds position well on the right and along with Glen would be too much for them on the right side I feel.

I'd play Henderson in the sort of inside left role he has played a few times where he stays wide when needed but can come in and give an extra man in midfield as well as Enrique is very good at getting forward and almost works better when there is no one in front of him.

So away to Wigan I'd have this

Reina

Johnson  Carra  Agger  Enrique

Lucas  Gerrard

Downing   Suarez  Henderson

Sturridge

Which would play more like this in effect

Reina

Johnson  Carra  Agger  Enrique

Lucas  Gerrard
                             Henderson

Suarez

Downing   Sturridge
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #91: Feb 19, 2013 01:14:26 pm
      I think thats spot on for how we will line up.

Quick Reply