Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

e-learning (Free Online Courses)

Read 19762 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,248 posts | 2848 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Coursera (free online courses)
      Reply #23: Sep 09, 2012 05:39:06 pm
      May take the plunge.

Registered so I probably give it a go.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #24: Sep 10, 2012 01:27:35 am
      I'm starting on week 2 tomorrow myself.

Have you done the Gamification written assignment, Bier? If yes, would you mind to share it with me? :D Just so I can take inspiration from somewhere. I was going to do it today but was busy all day, have only a few hours left till deadline, will see what I can do.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,207 posts | 1414 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #25: Sep 10, 2012 08:08:48 pm
      Website not working :(
      Bier
      Reply #26: Sep 15, 2012 02:14:03 am
      Sorry for the late response Diego. I'm not on here alot anymore. I am still doing the course though. Did you get your assignment done?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #27: Sep 15, 2012 08:22:26 pm
      Sorry for the late response Diego. I'm not on here alot anymore. I am still doing the course though. Did you get your assignment done?

No problem! And yes, I did. I think it was ok, no feedback yet though.

Also did Quiz 3 already, got maximum score after a 2nd try. Need to do assignment 2 now...
      Bier
      Reply #28: Sep 17, 2012 10:13:56 pm
      I quite like the Gamification course, you enjoying it so far Diego? 2nd assignment went ok I think, got a 10 for the 1st one. So I'm not bothered by the peer grading so far. Only 3 weeks left.

Dropped out of the Networked Life course because it was boring as F**k in the first week already, will be doing Human-Computer Interaction(building interfaces) instead, starting next week.

Also signed up for an Android app course later on. That in combination with the gamification and interfaces courses will hopefully inspire me to make a cool app. :)
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #29: Sep 19, 2012 09:25:38 am
      Dear Courserians,

Today, we are thrilled to welcome 17 more universities — including four international schools — onto Coursera:

Berklee College of Music
      Brown University
      Columbia University
      Emory University
      Hebrew University of Jerusalem
      Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
      Mount Sinai School of Medicine
      Ohio State University
      University of British Columbia
      University of California
      Irvine University of Florida
      University of London
      University of Maryland
      University of Melbourne
      University of Pittsburgh
      Vanderbilt University
      Wesleyan University

These 17 universities will expand the course offerings even further, adding new classes in the fields of music, medicine, and humanities (among other disciplines) from renowned professors like Arnold Weinstein of Brown University and Grammy award winning Gary Burton from Berklee College of Music. We are proud of the diversity of the course offerings —from "The Science of Gastronomy" from Hong Kong University of Science and Technology to " Financial Engineering and Risk Management" from Columbia University. Many of these courses are pushing the boundaries of what was thought to be possible to teach online.

Working with schools, professors, and students over the past six months has taught us that online education has an incredible power to bring people together and open up doors that might otherwise remain shut.
      « Last Edit: Sep 19, 2012 09:48:29 am by Reprobate »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #30: Sep 19, 2012 04:15:30 pm
      I quite like the Gamification course, you enjoying it so far Diego? 2nd assignment went ok I think, got a 10 for the 1st one. So I'm not bothered by the peer grading so far. Only 3 weeks left.

Dropped out of the Networked Life course because it was boring as f**k in the first week already, will be doing Human-Computer Interaction(building interfaces) instead, starting next week.

Also signed up for an Android app course later on. That in combination with the gamification and interfaces courses will hopefully inspire me to make a cool app. :)

Yeah, I'm enjoying the Gamification course very much. Got a 10 from my first assignment too, and think I did quite well in the 2nd one - hopefully another 10. Have you seen the 3rd assignment though? It's huge! 1.500 words. We'll have 2 weeks for it but as usual I'm sure I'll leave it to the last day haha.

And I can see why you think Networked Life is boring, I thought it was going to focus more on the social aspects of it, but I actually liked it a bit. The quizzes were pretty easy as well, so I decided to stay with this one.

Dear Courserians,

Today, we are thrilled to welcome 17 more universities — including four international schools — onto Coursera:

Berklee College of Music
      Brown University
      Columbia University
      Emory University
      Hebrew University of Jerusalem
      Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
      Mount Sinai School of Medicine
      Ohio State University
      University of British Columbia
      University of California
      Irvine University of Florida
      University of London
      University of Maryland
      University of Melbourne
      University of Pittsburgh
      Vanderbilt University
      Wesleyan University

These 17 universities will expand the course offerings even further, adding new classes in the fields of music, medicine, and humanities (among other disciplines) from renowned professors like Arnold Weinstein of Brown University and Grammy award winning Gary Burton from Berklee College of Music. We are proud of the diversity of the course offerings —from "The Science of Gastronomy" from Hong Kong University of Science and Technology to " Financial Engineering and Risk Management" from Columbia University. Many of these courses are pushing the boundaries of what was thought to be possible to teach online.

Working with schools, professors, and students over the past six months has taught us that online education has an incredible power to bring people together and open up doors that might otherwise remain shut.

Was coming to post that! Lots of new courses available, feels like Christmas for a nerd like me. I'm already enrolled in way too many courses, it'll only get worse now :D
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #31: Sep 19, 2012 04:20:07 pm
      There's now even a course on Film History! I like this website more every day.

https://www.coursera.org/course/hollywood
      Bier
      Reply #32: Sep 19, 2012 10:38:44 pm
      Yeah, I'm enjoying the Gamification course very much. Got a 10 from my first assignment too, and think I did quite well in the 2nd one - hopefully another 10. Have you seen the 3rd assignment though? It's huge! 1.500 words. We'll have 2 weeks for it but as usual I'm sure I'll leave it to the last day haha.

And I can see why you think Networked Life is boring, I thought it was going to focus more on the social aspects of it, but I actually liked it a bit. The quizzes were pretty easy as well, so I decided to stay with this one.

Was coming to post that! Lots of new courses available, feels like Christmas for a nerd like me. I'm already enrolled in way too many courses, it'll only get worse now :D

Yeah, I'm leaving assignment 3 to next week too. :P

I knew Networked Life would be about the similarities between networks and such, biological and technological. But I hoped it would be presented in a bit more fun way. I like Gamification because it's nice short videos, and they're edited in an enjoyable way, making them pleasant to watch. And the Networked Life lecture videos, sometimes 25 minutes or more, really reminded me of those boring lectures when I was still at university and would doze off. And I can handle boring if I think it's of any practical use for me, but that it wasn't either so I dropped it.

And it's awesome so many new universities joined now. I'm worried about january and february especially, so many courses I want to do!

There are also other sites by the way, though none as expansive as coursera. edX.com is by Harvard, MIT and Berkeley. Udacity.com is another one, they seem really focussed on revolutionising teaching methods online. And khanacademy.org, which is for middleschool and highschool. I think massive online open courses are very interesting development that will revolutionise the school system. Kind of in the same way that old media like newspapers are fading, the same will happen to many schools and universities worldwide. Probably only the best will survive. Because why would you go to an average school when you can get education from the best schools online?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #33: Sep 20, 2012 08:54:42 pm
      There are also other sites by the way, though none as expansive as coursera. edX.com is by Harvard, MIT and Berkeley. Udacity.com is another one, they seem really focussed on revolutionising teaching methods online. And khanacademy.org, which is for middleschool and highschool. I think massive online open courses are very interesting development that will revolutionise the school system. Kind of in the same way that old media like newspapers are fading, the same will happen to many schools and universities worldwide. Probably only the best will survive. Because why would you go to an average school when you can get education from the best schools online?

Yeah that's an interesting thought, I see it very positively despite its limitations, I mean, there's still a lot to improve in online education. I think for graduate studies online education is already a very important field, but schools and undergraduates have a social aspect that is very important for personal development, and I think it cannot be underestimated - especially high school. Obviously there is social interaction online but it's not the same.

I love being able to watch the lectures at any time or in any way I want,  last night for example, I was on my bed, with a can of Heineken open, Brazil v Argentina on tv without sound, and at the same time watching 'Model Thinking' lectures. It was just introductory stuff and I'm fairly familiar with models so it wasn't very challenging, I could do that while watching football and still understand everything. Obviously when it gets harder it will require more attention, but the point I want to make is that it is much better to study at your own time rather than being forced to whatever time your school/uni works with (usually too early). I am worse than a zombie in the morning, but was forced from 5h grade until the end of university to watch classes at 7 AM. It was truly awful for me. And when I had a test or a exam that I really needed to study for, I would often do that very late in the night. Sometimes it would be like 11pm and I had not even started to study.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #34: Sep 24, 2012 08:46:42 pm
      Got another 10 for my 2nd Gamification assignment!

I'm already enrolled in way too many courses and there are others starting this week, I'll have to make a decision about which ones I'll stick with and which ones I'll need to give up.
      Bier
      Reply #35: Sep 25, 2012 03:49:30 am
      Got a 10 too! Wasn't confident with the peer grading, but it's fine so far. The next 2 weeks should be easy.
      Bier
      Reply #36: Sep 27, 2012 08:02:23 pm
      Taking an edX course in 2 weeks too from Harvard, Introduction to Computer Science: https://www.edx.org/courses/HarvardX/CS50x/2012/about

I've noticed edX courses are more extensive and in depth, and also longer than Coursera's. That Harvard course is their actual course, while in many cases at Coursera they're shortened or customised courses just for Coursera. Gamification for example has never been given as a standalone course before at that university, only as part of one. I'm taking an introduction to programming at Coursera now which only touches on Python, while those edX courses touch on most programming languages.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #37: Sep 27, 2012 10:41:36 pm
      Taking an edX course in 2 weeks too from Harvard, Introduction to Computer Science: https://www.edx.org/courses/HarvardX/CS50x/2012/about

I've noticed edX courses are more extensive and in depth, and also longer than Coursera's. That Harvard course is their actual course, while in many cases at Coursera they're shortened or customised courses just for Coursera. Gamification for example has never been given as a standalone course before at that university, only as part of one. I'm taking an introduction to programming at Coursera now which only touches on Python, while those edX courses touch on most programming languages.

Thanks for mentioning that. I've had a look and immediately un-enrolled in the Coursera courses ready to start one through edX in mid October.
      I'm not knocking Coursera because it has a lot of interesting subjects to choose from but as you said, edX seems a bit more intensive and one particular course, 3.091x: Introduction to Solid State Chemistry appears to be more along the lines of what I was after.

I must admit, the possibility of getting a certificate from MIT also helped to swing it for me!  8)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #38: Sep 28, 2012 03:45:14 pm

Registered for that as well! No idea if I'll go through the whole of it, as I'm not very keen on computers and programming (I'm just a user, really!), but I think this kind of stuff could really help me in my work place.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #39: Sep 28, 2012 07:47:45 pm
      1st week of "Learn to Program: The Fundamentals" on Coursera was pretty basic, I found it easy but I'm glad they're going to progress slowly, as I have no experience on working with Python.

I've worked with the likes of R and MatLab at Uni before though (basic level only as well), so I'm kinda familiar with this type of languages.
      The Lark
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts | 12 
      Reply #40: Oct 09, 2012 12:35:01 pm
      Wish I'd done that instead of rummaging around for it again!

Signed up for:
      • An Introduction to Operations Management - Starting towards the end of this month and;
      • Chemistry : Concepts, Develpment and Application - Starting in January

My problem is not starting these things but sticking with them so I'll see how I go with them before signing up for anything else!

How are you finding the Ops Management course Rep?

I've started doing this week's homework (at my age?!).  Are you bothering with it?
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #41: Oct 09, 2012 01:08:29 pm
      How are you finding the Ops Management course Rep?

I've started doing this week's homework (at my age?!).  Are you bothering with it?

I'm not doing it, mate. I signed up for that plus the chemistry course but then Bier mentioned edX, which had a much more involved and relevant chemistry course. That starts on Oct 15th and clashed with Operations Management so I dropped it and went with edX.
      Bier
      Reply #42: Oct 13, 2012 03:49:36 pm
      Finished the gamification course, passed it with a 9+. Doing the Introduction to genetics and evolution course that started earlier this week, and I'm loving it so far. Introducting to computer science starting this monday at edX.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #43: Oct 14, 2012 09:05:09 pm
      Finished Gamification as well, got 98.50 out of 100
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #44: Oct 17, 2012 05:41:37 pm

Desk = £25
      Antique laptop = Free from girlfriend
      Wireless network adapter = Free from girlfriend
      Mouse = £4
      Pens = "Free" from work
      Cup holding them = Free from previous employer

Being able to get away from computer game obsessed house mate... priceless!
      Bier
      Reply #45: Oct 22, 2012 04:51:01 pm
      Nice one Reprobate, your place to study? You need your own quiet space, roommates can drive you crazy.

Did you start on the edX course yet? Mine started, but I haven't really got into it yet, just been looking around and made sure sure I understand the system there, completely different platform from coursera and takes a bit to get used to. What I do like though is that my computer science course at edX can be taken at my own pace, I just have to finish it before april. I like that because I'm already taking some more strict deadline courses at coursera, and this adds a bit of flexibility for me.

The introduction to genetics and evolution course I'm taking at Coursera is such a great and interesting course so far. It's only 2 weeks in but has changed my view on how evolution works  so much already. And Mohamed Noor is a very good and enthusiastic teacher aswell.

Quick Reply