Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W10 D9 L12

Do goalscorers perform poorly when they join Liverpool FC?

Read 5299 times
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Re: Do goalscorers perform poorly when they join Liverpool FC?
      Reply #23: Sep 06, 2012 06:32:19 am
      Carroll: Had a good spell with Newcastle not a great career. They also played to his strenghts were as here he was another part of
      Gerrard and Torres was a phenomenal strike partnership, who suited each other's strengths perfectly. That's why they both excelled. Never hurts having Alonso and Mascherano bossing the midfield behind you.

As for Luis, if I'm not mistaken, most of his Ajax goals came from playing as a WF in a 4-3-3. His tally dropped in his final season (in which he joined us) when he was playing a bit more lone striker. Could be totally wrong here, so someone please correct me.
      I have no information on the positions he played in but in total while he was at Ajax, SuƔrez scored 111 goals in 159 appearances. Which is a very good ratio.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #24: Sep 06, 2012 11:44:22 pm
      I have no information on the positions he played in but in total while he was at Ajax, SuƔrez scored 111 goals in 159 appearances. Which is a very good ratio.

With tht rate of return, I would expect that he be utilized in the exact way he was utilized to get those goals.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #25: Sep 08, 2012 07:42:50 am
      Simple, only Torres was a central forward and the others wingers or played in a team where they had to create their own opportunities.
      I'm sure if Suarez stopped trying TOO MUCH creating and concentrated on only scoring he would score for fun but as we lack this creativity fro wingers, lack crosses and killer passes, we'll struggle.
      We just need to play Suarez as winger and let Borini focus on the finishing only. And our wingers should be threat to the defense not like Downing. Our front 3 or 4 should all be sources of danger(assists or goals). Actually our main sources of danger are the duo Suarez-Sterling. Sterling won't score much and play much. Borini can be neutralized easily by the fullbacks. Suarez is not playing it simple and Gerrard has not found his position(role) yet in the team. I think we should return to the 4-2-3-1 with Suarez on the right and Borini in the centre. We have the quality we just got to use it well. The burden of scoring shouldn't be solely on Suarez.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #26: Sep 08, 2012 08:58:12 am
      This is not a new thing and I would not limit this to only goalscorers.  There are so many players over the years that have not lived up to their billing. I think we are just one of those clubs that puts pressure on players - and some can't handle it.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #27: Sep 08, 2012 09:49:22 am
      Wouldn't it be better for managers to play the striker in the best position in which the striker is most comfortable and most likely to succeed? Babel had fire in him, but his Anfield career changed him game forever.

Playing Kuyt as a winger also altered his game negatively, though it may have given his career longevity.

We lost the Champions League final in 2007 because an awesome midfielder was made a striker and a striker made to come in as a sub.

Anyone who knew Mikel Obi before his Chelsea career would have sworn he was the future king of the midfield goal scorers. This actually sparked a bidding war between the mancs and chavs. Chavs turned him into some wannabe defensive midfielder. He has never measured up since.

Bottom line, when you buy a prolific goalscorer, allow him to flourish. Don't box him into a format you want him to learn to play in, he will underperform.

Rafa built the team around the Torres-Gerrard partnership AND also allowed them to play their game and express themselves.

It works better that way.

Your right mate. I was just making the point that sometimes, someone has to change their position as others are doing so well. I always believe that if you are a player, the manager will have a system and one particular player may be shining in a role, a role you may usually play. If that is the case, and there isn't enough room for you, it is important to be open to positional change.
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #28: Sep 09, 2012 07:12:26 am
      Simple, only Torres was a central forward and the others wingers or played in a team where they had to create their own opportunities.
      I'm sure if Suarez stopped trying TOO MUCH creating and concentrated on only scoring he would score for fun but as we lack this creativity fro wingers, lack crosses and killer passes, we'll struggle.
      We just need to play Suarez as winger and let Borini focus on the finishing only. And our wingers should be threat to the defense not like Downing. Our front 3 or 4 should all be sources of danger(assists or goals). Actually our main sources of danger are the duo Suarez-Sterling. Sterling won't score much and play much. Borini can be neutralized easily by the fullbacks. Suarez is not playing it simple and Gerrard has not found his position(role) yet in the team. I think we should return to the 4-2-3-1 with Suarez on the right and Borini in the centre. We have the quality we just got to use it well. The burden of scoring shouldn't be solely on Suarez.

Interesting point there.

Quick Reply