Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Football Manager 2013

Read 42543 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Football Manager 2013
      Reply #368: Aug 20, 2013 04:32:52 am
      Any lower league stars cheap/free to look out for? Keen to do one of those saves.

Winning everything with Liverpool is boring but i was going to keep going until i beat Fergie on the list.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #369: Aug 20, 2013 04:02:38 pm
      Impressive work. I managed to get Plymouth up to the Premier League, but they are much bigger than Accrington Stanley. Really enjoy scouting for players in the lower leagues, and as you say, one decent signing can make a hell of difference. The only thing is the amount of games you have to play in lower leagues means lots of injuries.

That's true, and one of the reasons why loans are so important - even the short, 3-months loans can help the team a great deal when you start having a lot of injuries.

Last night I played only a little bit of FM but it was enough to see my transfer budget for the new season - 100k :( And I have a whole team to build. Really, really scary. I'm hoping better opportunities for loans will come up cause so far I haven't found many exciting options.

The team also announced they're expanding the stadium, which will gain around 3k new seats if I recall correctly. While it's under construction, I'll be playing at the Turf Moor.

Any lower league stars cheap/free to look out for? Keen to do one of those saves.

I can take a look for you once I'm at home
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #370: Aug 21, 2013 02:49:41 am

Cool.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #371: Aug 21, 2013 02:53:06 am

You'd think this would happen given the above result.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #372: Aug 21, 2013 03:47:32 am
      Beyond impressive Crouchie, tho I'd be bored of that after a while. Have you tried starting from lower/non leagues with the same tactics? Do you use your own tactic?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #373: Aug 21, 2013 12:22:47 pm
      Going to see how I go in a lower league soon.

I either play a 4-4-2, 4-3-1-2 or 4-5-1. Just rotate players and choose whatever formation fits the players I want to use.

But it kind of depends on what players I have at the time and then choose a default formation from there and then chop and change tactics as I play more games.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #374: Aug 21, 2013 03:49:41 pm

:o

Awesome.

Talking about tactics, I guess they're relatively less important the better your team becomes, though they surely play a part in any success you might have.

In the lower leagues, I'm finding them to be key. I created a 3-4-3 when I was playing with Leicester in the Championship cause I had an abundance of central defenders and strikers but no decent fullbacks. It's simply a line of 3 at the back, a line of 4 in the middle, and line of 3 strikers upfront.

At first I thought it would be a disaster cause opposing wingers could do me a lot of damage but it rather worked nicely. The attacking trio, when they click together, they become so dangerous it's amazing to see.

It's an attacking tactic, with short passing. I use a sweeper keeper with 'support' instruction and 3 ball playing defenders - the one on the right and the one on the left are stoppers, while the one in the middle is set to 'cover'.

The line of four consist of two defensive wingers playing wide with an 'attack' instruction, and it's really important to have the right players in these positions: the more defensive work, stamina, teamwork etc they have, the better cause they drop back a lot to help the defenders.

One of the CMs is a ball winning midfielder - if possible the best tackler in the team - and the other a deep lying playmaker set to 'defend'.

The attacking trio is composed by a target man in a 'support' funcion on the right side, a poacher in the middle and a deep lying forward on the left, also supporting.

Sounds quite bizarre but worked wonders for my Leicester team and got me great results with Accrington Stanley as well. I like these tactics so much I try to use them whenever I can, or whenever it makes sense to use them. I found it truly amazing how even Accrington Stanley players could play such a good passing game after they really 'got' the tactics. It's important to play with aggressive tackling and high pressure as well.

Now that I'm in the Championship with Stanley, however, these tactics are no longer useful. I got so little money for transfers/wages because the club is expanding the stadium that I think my Championship squad is actually weaker than my League One squad was the season before. If I tried to play attacking football with these players, I could picture myself being destroyed week in, week out. Claudio Pitbull, for instance, is now being forced to play as a right winger cause I have no one there. Kirk Broadfoot, a new signing, is playing as DM despite being a central defender.

So I've started the season playing a counter attacking tactic, set as a something like 4-1-1-3-1.
      A defensive back four, an anchor man in front of them, then a CM and a line of 3 attacking players - 2 wingers wide and a central advanced playmaker - with one striker upfront.

I've switched to long passing to make use of Arthuro's great aerial ability. Basically it feels like I've gone from being the lower league's Guardiola to become a new Sam Allardyce. It's depressing but is working well so far. I haven't won many games but I'm doing better than expected, around midtable. It's only the start of the season though and it's gonna be difficult to escape relegation. Come on Stanley!

(You can see from the length of my posts recently that I'm excited about it :D)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #375: Aug 22, 2013 12:51:19 am
      ^ god damn it I pressed submit too early for the + but I was essentially saying ";D".

Awesome post. Find myself getting so in to the stupid game that I lose train of thought and go on about it for ages. I remember talking to this girl about the game for 20 minutes straight.

You're right though. Got to use a system that fits the players. Good luck this season!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #376: Aug 23, 2013 03:13:04 pm
      I remember talking to this girl about the game for 20 minutes straight.

:lmao:

I'm in January now and it's been a tough season. At the moment I'm around 19th if I recall correctly, 2 or 3 points above the relegation zone. There were moments in which I was part of the bottom 3, but have always managed to recover quickly. It's a dangerous situation though.

I've also found myself more willing to play my 3-4-3 tactic once in a while, even against much better teams. When you set up to "defend only" against a much better team like Aston Villa, unless you got top defenders (which I don't), you'll get spanked. So in some of these games I've instead turned to a kamikaze approach. I almost beat Villa (was winning by 2-1 but they scored 2 in the last 10 mins) and did the double against Wolves ;D Still very frustrating to be one of the worst teams in the competition though - I'm not used to it!

One thing I never did before but have been doing a lot this season are team meetings, to improve the players' morale.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #377: Aug 24, 2013 07:28:18 am
      Diego, I reckon they're the most fun parts of the game. You go mental when you win and devastated when you lose. I remember beating City with my Wolves save late on in the season in the last minute with a Nikola Zigic header to get out of the relegation zone. Was jumping around fist pumping :D

Found myself 14 points off the top at one point. Terrible start to the season but now I'm 3 off City with 10 games to go. Fingers crossed. Won the league 6/7 time in a row. Would hate to break that streak.

Thumpe Juve 5-2 away in the first CL ko leg.

Won the Capital Cup.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #378: Aug 24, 2013 09:33:17 pm
      End of my 3rd season as Accrington Stanley manager.

Finished 14th in the Championship, far from the relegation zone. Pleased with that.

Now here's hope I'll get at least a decent budget for the next season, or else it'll be the same struggle again.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #379: Aug 25, 2013 07:56:44 am
      Top of the league! 2 points ahead with a handful of games left.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #380: Aug 25, 2013 03:22:44 pm
      Going to try to get back into this today
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #381: Aug 26, 2013 05:30:01 pm
      Was given only £500k this time :D Managed to get some good young players though, mainly regens from smaller countries such as Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago. Would have signed more if so many of them didn't fail their work permit applications :(

Anyway, I surely think I can improve on the previous season. Kept only a handful of players from the team that finished 14th and improved in most areas of the pitch.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #382: Aug 27, 2013 01:51:05 pm
      Just bought FM 2013.

Signed on as a Liverpool manager - transfer budget 0

Might go and see if I can loan Mata now.  :D

FFS.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #383: Aug 27, 2013 03:22:12 pm
      Started the new season in the Championship with 4 wins in 4 games! Brilliant!
      I got a regen called David Hernandez from El Salvador who is a beast! Scored 10 goals in 6 games so far (includes 2 cup games).
      Go Stanley!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #384: Sep 02, 2013 03:57:20 pm
      Promoted to the Premier League! My regen striker from El Salvador scored 29 goals this season. Amazing the quality you can get in your team at that level if you're just patient enough to look for targets - achieved promotion to the EPL with a record signing of just £150k :D

Got a transfer budget of around £15M to try escape relegation now. Already spent £10M on a central defender from Argentina who can also play in both sides of defense, though part of that was paid in 48 months so I still got decent money to spend. I've been rejected by so many players though, it's infuriating! Some of them have preferred to stay at their relegated clubs like Wigan and Everton rather than sign for me.

My stadium is going through another expansion, this time of around 7-8k seats, and in the meantime I'll have to play at the Turf Moor in Burnley.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #385: Sep 03, 2013 12:17:18 am
      So many quality players transfer listed for affordable values that won't even discuss contracts with me... frustrating!

Daniel Sturridge is transfer listed by Arsenal here. So is Henderson, by Spurs. And Ryan Bertrand at Chelsea. Tried all three... and will end up with Jermain Defoe on a free. :(
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #386: Sep 05, 2013 03:10:42 pm
      Going to start a new game with Liverpool once the update has finished, it's released on the 7th if anyone is interested in starting a new game with the summer window additions. Started one with Napoli about 6 months ago but got bored, I've found I can only be Liverpool, don't get the same buzz with other teams.

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=7866
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #387: Sep 06, 2013 03:02:09 am
      Bought a regen striker from Brazil for £69m almost 3 years ago. He's scored 127 in 145. Running away with the league again and getting relatively bored so going to move on after next season as I want to try out the new 73000 seater 'Liverpool Stadium' they're building me.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #388: Sep 07, 2013 04:26:14 pm
      Thing I hate most about this game other than the million shots and only 1 or 2 goals is at the start of each half 99% of the time it does a highlight consisting of a couple of seconds..... WHATS THE F***ing POINT, STOP MAKING ME THINK GOING TO GET A REALLY EARLY GOAL!!!   :f_steam: :throw:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #389: Sep 09, 2013 11:23:42 pm
      Decided to make a new 4-1-2-2-1 formation.

Two supporting fullbacks, an anchor man, an attacking advanced playmaker/central midfielder partnership, two attacking wingers and a poacher. Crushing everyone so far. Love it.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #390: Sep 24, 2013 02:16:49 am
      In 2021 and just won my 5th UCL in a row and 6th in total with Liverpool. A few days later, Everton lost their Championship Playoff final.

Quick Reply