Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Officials are ruining our game

Read 31935 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: Officials are ruining our game
      Reply #322: Jan 01, 2014 07:40:22 pm
      He made a good decision with Welbeck the cheat making a blatent dive.That's about it though.
      Yup, he's restored my faith in officials

Not. Didn't have too bad a game though
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #323: Jan 01, 2014 07:51:48 pm
      Ref in the hull game was an absolute joke.  They kicked suarez to bits today and officials did F**k all about it!
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #324: Jan 02, 2014 09:27:33 am
      Oscar getting booked in the Southampton game good decision
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #325: Jan 02, 2014 12:55:37 pm
      Appears Howard webb was a fergie fan rather than a manure fan after yesterdays performance agsinst spurs. A real howler with the lloris decision. And cardiff got turned away for pen although arsenal player clearly committed deliberate hand ball.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #326: Jan 02, 2014 01:08:53 pm
      Ref was a joke yesterday. Booked Suarez and then refused to book one of the Hull players for a worse challenge. Also didn't go back and give Bruce a second booking that he should have received.

A lot of decisions went against us yesterday.  We still won the game but a lot of the decisions were dreadful.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #327: Jan 02, 2014 02:29:00 pm
      Lmaooo ill email ya me bank balance mate, i know a lot more about the game then u ever will. Your talikng to a person who's played it a pro level, i'm a person who knows professionals who have played for the club. I can tell you things about one of our former players that would make you gobsmacked, I known many of players who actually placed bets on teams they where playing for to get beat. You have know f**king idea mate, to say that corruption is only  with the officials is so wide of the mark is unreal.

To be fair, I am sorry about what I said to you.
      It was funny, kind of. At least you found humor in it.
      I don't care about your bank balance; but obviously give it all to me.
      I do still dislike the fact you are sticking up for the enemy.
      I never usually make a big thing about officials making bad decisions; the fact I do in the last three games is because I feel the need to do so.
      I apologize about calling you names, sorry about that, but please join in on berating the officials in the last 3 games.
      Sorry dude or woman-dude.
      lulz
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #328: Jan 12, 2014 02:59:45 pm
      Another howler this time in the Newcastle vs man city game. Great equaliser by Tiotte. The lino never raised his flag but mike jones over rules the lino. What a joke! These refs nowadays are a complete liability and they need to answer for their mistakes!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #329: Jan 12, 2014 07:25:33 pm
      Referee's and linesmen should be facing fines for poor decisions and disciplinary action too, you screw up in any other job you get disciplined and it should be no different here.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #330: Jan 12, 2014 07:27:32 pm
      Heard on the radio somebody suggested making the refs audio on the pitch public so supporters can hear what the referees are saying on the pitch.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #331: Jan 12, 2014 07:33:17 pm
      Heard on the radio somebody suggested making the refs audio on the pitch public so supporters can hear what the referees are saying on the pitch.

Guess then the audio would pick up some of the choice words they get from the players :)   "Dear lord ref, I'm jolly upset at the decision, really really peeved" ...
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts | 60 
      Reply #332: Jan 12, 2014 07:51:22 pm
      We got a decision today,a soft penalty,they say at the end of the season it evens itself out,but it does not make you feel any better when you are on the receiving end of a bad decision,but do i feel sorry for stoke,never, we was due one in our favour :)
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #333: Jan 13, 2014 02:39:02 am
      Referee's and linesmen should be facing fines for poor decisions and disciplinary action too, you screw up in any other job you get disciplined and it should be no different here.

How far should we take it?  Fine players for making mistakes as well, miscuing simple passes, that penalty miss by Puncheon, etc.  Been very few mistakes by refs, as a whole, that were absolute clangers.  If a ref gets 90%+ decisions right, I'm happy.  And while I'm at it, technology can bugger off as well, I like mistakes in the game, by players, refs & managers and the game has become sterile enough as it is with out the need for video refs et al.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #334: Jan 13, 2014 05:48:42 am
      Hmm, head scratching stuff this is, look in all honesty the standard of refereeing is not up to the standard of a league like ours , refs go thru different levels before being deemed good enough to ref at the highest level,
      So for me if refereeing to improve it has to start a level or two below ,

This really is a difficult problem , there are far to many incinsistencies in the interpretations of the rules and in some cases those rules/ laws are to confusing for any sort of consistency to exist,
      CONFUSED ?

Shanks once said. ' it's a simple game confused by idiots' and incase of refereeing this is certainly so,

Most of the time the ref gets it right, we have to remember that they only see a incident once and have make their decision within micro seconds ,
      Incidents like the Tiote goal are unforgivable and where the interpretations of the rules break down ,
      The incident itself was was clearly explained on MOTD and it was obvious that the officials fu**ed it up, well ok mistakes are made but this was so blatant it's as if the ref himself was unsure of the rule or even the Lino,

I'd like to see a ref come out after the game and explain any contentious issue or decision they have had to make during that game,
       just like the players and managers get interviewed and asked their opinions , refs  should take part in this process to, they are a professional body and part of our game, and if they came out and integrated with the media and we viewers perhaps they would gain far more respect than they do now,

There is still this us & them stigma attached to today's football that was acceptable way back then, but football has moved on it's more professional than ever before so therefore it would make sense if officialdom did likewise,

And not forgetting the F**kin FA in this debate, instead if blaming officials for ruining the game we all love, cast your eyes at those buffoons at Soho Sq, this is where the real blame lies, these self appointed dictating egotistical morons whose currupt ion knows no bounds are the real culprits,

they employ a overseer at every match to scrutinise every decision a ref makes during a match, no longer can a ref use his own initiative or indeed common sense , never mind the use of technology,

I think it's not a bad idea to allow refs from other parts of Europe to ref EPL. matches , if players & managers have the freedom to move around from country to country then why not refs ?
      Again we have to look to the FA for that answer ,

It would also help eradicate any bias fans may have towards certain referees or indeed where they come from,

Mistakes and incidents like we have seen this weekend will always happen unless standards in refereeing improve and if that means using foreign refs until then so be it.

YNWA
      « Last Edit: Jan 13, 2014 06:08:10 am by billythered »
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #335: Jan 13, 2014 06:22:54 am
      Referees make like 90% plus of the decisions they make in a game correct - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2107388/Premier-League-referees-right-92-cent-time.html

If we want that % increased technology is your only salvation. Everything else has been tried - making then fitter, making them professional, paying them better, miking them up, assessing them on every match etc

I don't buy the whole notion that technology is oh so hard to implement on a lot of the contentious decisions.

Take the Sterling one today. I think like most it was softish. Now once ref had blown whistle he can either award pen or refer it. If in any way unsure he asks his mate in front of a TV camera to look at it from 3 different angles and make a decision.
      What's often said about this idea is "you and I can look at an incident 10 times and each come to a different conclusion"
      This is absolutely right and is the joy of the game and I'm sure refs sitting in a room will still make decisions we disagree on. However I would much rather contentious decisions get that extra scrutiny.
      The same can go for border line offside decisions.

The ones you can't maybe legislate for are the Eto'o type fouls on Suarez where there is not an immediate opportunity to break the play but other things could be resolved sooooo easy.

Tbh I think a lot of the opposition for technology comes from journalists because they'd have f**k all to write and talk about without contentious decisions being made
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #336: Jan 13, 2014 07:02:51 am
      Referees make like 90% plus of the decisions they make in a game correct - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2107388/Premier-League-referees-right-92-cent-time.html

If we want that % increased technology is your only salvation. Everything else has been tried - making then fitter, making them professional, paying them better, miking them up, assessing them on every match etc

I don't buy the whole notion that technology is oh so hard to implement on a lot of the contentious decisions.

Take the Sterling one today. I think like most it was softish. Now once ref had blown whistle he can either award pen or refer it. If in any way unsure he asks his mate in front of a TV camera to look at it from 3 different angles and make a decision.
      What's often said about this idea is "you and I can look at an incident 10 times and each come to a different conclusion"
      This is absolutely right and is the joy of the game and I'm sure refs sitting in a room will still make decisions we disagree on. However I would much rather contentious decisions get that extra scrutiny.
      The same can go for border line offside decisions.

The ones you can't maybe legislate for are the Eto'o type fouls on Suarez where there is not an immediate opportunity to break the play but other things could be resolved sooooo easy.

Tbh I think a lot of the opposition for technology comes from journalists because they'd have f**k all to write and talk about without contentious decisions being made

Great point made as far as the journo's are concerned, and of course the same can be said of the FA. And the technology you describe, but in all honesty I just cannot see it happening any day soon,

It took it seemed forever for the FA to bring about goal line tech so how long do you think it would take them to bring in a TMO, besides such FIFA would have to sanction it first and this is where it dies a very quick death because there is no way in hell such technology will be allowed,

These despots want total control over everything to do with the game, an attempt to remove part if their control will not be tolerated, no f***in way, and shame on you for suggesting such a sensible idea !  ;D

YNWA

andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #337: Jan 13, 2014 09:01:21 am
      Yesterday's penalty was the perfect way to expose the nonsense of this thread.

That has to be the softest penalty i've seen all season & it was handball before Sterling
      was anywhere even near Stoke's box.

You win some you lose some..
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #338: Jan 13, 2014 09:09:25 am

That has to be the softest penalty i've seen all season & it was handball before Sterling

You can ruin a game by making decisions that go for us

All I want is refs to make the right calls
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #339: Jan 13, 2014 10:34:22 am

You can ruin a game by making decisions that go for us

All I want is refs to make the right calls

You can't ruin a game in giving wrong decisions in our favour imo.
      I will always take a dodgy penalty decision thanks..

But all anyone wants is refs to make the right calls consistently.

Unfortunately they are only human they will always make mistakes.
      Their job is incredibly hard & gets harder the faster the game gets.
      What matters is that they are unbiased in every way.

And most would agree if they were being honest that they are.
      So cut them some slack they could be taking bribes left right & centre
      like they do in plenty of other countries..
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #340: Jan 13, 2014 11:16:34 am

So your reasoning then is; as long as officials keep making these most ridiculous of errors for all teams, and are consistently screwing up indiscriminately, then that's alright and they are not ruining the game?

'Two wrongs don't make a right'

Nobody is saying we want officials to be error free, you're not going to get that with human beings, but come on pal, these decisions are costing m/billions of revenue and people's careers.

All this thread is saying; is put some sort of system in place that forces referees to up their game and helps them cut down on the mistakes as much as possible.

These days football is a billion pound industry, and if you think officials aren't ruining the game, then we'll just disagree all day long.

I don't know if it's coverage, the rule changes, or the pace of the game, but I have never in over 35 years of watching the game, seen so many bad judgement calls - and some of them have been calls you wouldn't see in a Sunday league game.

By the way, if you think the game isn't being ruined, fair enough, I can't prove that. But you only need to take a look at the so called 'big' clubs to see they always manage to have the big decisions go for them and not against them. I'm not saying there's a corrupt conspiracy going on, I'm just saying officials are ruining our game and that we need change of sorts. Just because 'we' managed to get lucky yesterday, doesn't mean everything in the officialdom garden is rosy
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,346 posts | 2818 
      Reply #341: Jan 13, 2014 11:21:30 am
      Well yesterday was the first potential game changing decision we've had in our favour for a while. Just another 3-4 more this season to even it out completely! :D
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #342: Jan 13, 2014 11:31:18 am
      The game was great entertainment, despite some of the dubious decisions made by the ref, as well as 3 points for the Reds, made my birthday weekend go down really well.
      redsordie27
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 293 posts |
      Reply #343: Jan 16, 2014 03:25:04 pm
      Why hasn't Moyes been fined yet for his comments against the referees?
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #344: Jan 16, 2014 03:32:29 pm
      Why hasn't Moyes been fined yet for his comments against the referees?

He's been charged just waiting for a warning or a fine, most likely just a fine.

Quick Reply