Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4179043 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #17595: Aug 28, 2014 09:46:06 am
      Our issue is the midfield to me it should look like this

Coutinho
           Gerrard      Hendo
      Or

Hendo
            Gerrard       Lucas

We lack a real DM in this team, Gerrard playe there but it does not suit him, he cannot defend!
      Song would be a good option it seems, but I don't know what BR has in mind: unfortunately(maybe) he seems to prefer Gerrard at DM.

You clearly haven't seen Lucas play lately. If we didn't already have an issue with our midfield then you'd immediately create one playing him and Gerrard together. 
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #17596: Aug 28, 2014 11:15:38 am
      You clearly haven't seen Lucas play lately. If we didn't already have an issue with our midfield then you'd immediately create one playing him and Gerrard together. 

I have but one bad performance does not make him a bad player. Coutinho was much below expectations so far too. I kile Lucas because if there is someone who can improve it's him and he is a good DM, I have no doubt about it.
      And the reason this partnership does not work is that Gerrard is trying to play as a DM which he ISN'T IMO!
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #17597: Aug 28, 2014 11:35:56 am
      Our issue is the midfield to me it should look like this

Coutinho
           Gerrard      Hendo
      You'd have Couts as a DM? On his day he's brilliant, but even on his day he's not known for his tracking back, closing down and all in tackling

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #17598: Aug 28, 2014 11:36:38 am
      I have but one bad performance does not make him a bad player. Coutinho was much below expectations so far too. I kile Lucas because if there is someone who can improve it's him and he is a good DM, I have no doubt about it.
      And the reason this partnership does not work is that Gerrard is trying to play as a DM which he ISN'T IMO!

Just one bad performance? I stick by what I said, you really haven't seen him much lately. He has been utter sh*te. He's completely lost it since his injury. Gerrard is trying to play as the sitting midfielder because that is his new position and he has to continue to play there if he wants to prolong his career by a couple of years. He doesn't have the legs to get up and down the pitch like he could 5 years ago.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #17599: Aug 28, 2014 12:09:58 pm
      You'd have Couts as a DM? On his day he's brilliant, but even on his day he's not known for his tracking back, closing down and all in tackling

Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but clearing it up, I think thats supposed to read Hendo and Gerrard sitting, Coutinho just ahead.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #17600: Aug 28, 2014 03:11:46 pm
      This is interesting. But read somewhere that he is off to Valencia to replace Mathieu

http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/28/liverpool-get-green-light-to-finally-complete-eder-balanta-transfer-for-4-3million-4848754/

LCB for LCB sounds ok. Another prospect, so clearly we'll operate with Skrtel, Lovren, Sakho & Toure
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #17601: Aug 28, 2014 06:19:25 pm
      Lucas has been lacklustre for a long time. You would be more accurate if you said one good performance does't merit his inclusion. Right now Coutinho only looks like he can play in the number 10 role. He's been very quiet on the wing of late. I wouldn't have him anywhere near DM.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3943 
      Reply #17602: Aug 28, 2014 06:41:33 pm

It's a downward spiral with Lucas sad to say, a few years ago I would have given the lad the benefit but he does look as tho' there's nothing left in the tank, the fact that he makes so many rash challenges to disguise his lack of speed says it all. It isn't one performance either he has been doing it for some time and the fouls given have cost us.
      SG has dropped back for obvious reasons and any shortcomings can be addressed.

djb447
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      • I always tell the truth, even when I lie
      Reply #17603: Aug 28, 2014 07:58:21 pm
      Go for Song or carvalho
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #17604: Aug 28, 2014 08:09:04 pm
      This is interesting. But read somewhere that he is off to Valencia to replace Mathieu

http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/28/liverpool-get-green-light-to-finally-complete-eder-balanta-transfer-for-4-3million-4848754/

LCB for LCB sounds ok. Another prospect, so clearly we'll operate with Skrtel, Lovren, Sakho & Toure

Not going to lie, all I know about this kid is that he is an absolute beast in football manager (probably the best CB prospect in the game). He was decent enough to be in the Columbian WC squad but I don't know if he played at all.
      Clearly we were one of the clubs which partnered with the FM scouts   :f_tongueincheek: ;D
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #17605: Aug 28, 2014 08:10:49 pm
      Lucas has been lacklustre for a long time. You would be more accurate if you said one good performance does't merit his inclusion. Right now Coutinho only looks like he can play in the number 10 role. He's been very quiet on the wing of late. I wouldn't have him anywhere near DM.

He hasn't played as a cm recently, so I'd say he can still do that, barring a lobotomy. I'm actually quite a fan of him as part of the midfield 3.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #17606: Aug 28, 2014 08:34:46 pm
      I see Villa are about to make an £8m bid for Tom Cleverley.

To paraphrase a certain Mr Henry, what are they smoking at Villa Park?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #17607: Aug 28, 2014 09:25:22 pm

I buy this guy on FM14 whenever I can. Fastly becomes one of the best defenders in the game. That's all I know though!
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #17608: Aug 28, 2014 09:42:19 pm
      Delli Ali of MK Dons could be immense. Fast powerful DM, with an eye for a pass.
      Sorry edit will be immense
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #17609: Aug 29, 2014 01:10:21 am
      So, we may be after this guy; Eder Alvarez Balanta (21 year old)

I tell you what he looks verrrry versitile and skillfull, may be a nightmare if he's always out of position but his role may be different playing for us.
      Seems like he reads the game amazingly (judging on youtube alone... I know) more than a case of just being gung-ho with his positioning or attack mindedness

Quote is off the Metro site, I know they fabricate most stuff but this seems very specific about the fee etc, it may be true.

"Liverpool have been told they can sign Colombian defender Eder Balanta for just £4.3million after his club River Plate lowered their asking price.

The Reds have been following versatile Balanta for most of the summer so far but have been frustrated by River’s £8million price tag on the player.

However, the club has now confirmed that they’re willing to accept just £4.3million, clearing the way for Liverpool to now swoop in.

‘We value him now at £4.3million,’ said River’s president Rodolfo D’Onofrio."

Eder Alvarez Balanta ● Defending ● Skills ● Goals | 2013-2014

Review off http://outsideoftheboot.com/2013/06/14/eder-alvarez-balanta-scout-report/

Style, Strengths & Weaknesses

Its not his confidence as a 20 yr old that are surprising but, rather, the calm and precise style in which he plays. Always focused on the play, Balanta is superb when faced with one-on-one situations. He has the perfect timing and skill to know when to put his leg in for a challenge and when to take it out to avoid a foul. So far, he’s shown this time and again.

He’s also very good at reading the game in defensive situations. Add to this the fact that he is quick on his feet and it becomes easy to explain how the Colombian often beats an opposing attacker to the ball. He is also strong when the time comes to use his weight to put pressure on the ball-carrier and rarely gets carried away into making a clumsy challenge.

A rarity amongst defenders in the top flight of Argentina, Eder Alvarez Balanta is quite a good passer of the ball and actually prefers to play the ball to a team-mate rather than clearing with power as is so common. When passing to a player near-by he chooses to play it across the surface, but when his target is further away he usually makes sure to pick-out a player with enough space to control a higher pass.

Its worth noting that his raised head when on the ball, and his good timing when off it have to do with his background as a central midfielder. That it was probably there that he developed those skills is something that a former Racing and River Plate great Roberto Permufo (also a DM turned centre-back) recently pointed out in a column.

When it comes to aerial challenges, his height is certainly not a problem. Not only is Balanta good with headers, he’s also got very strong legs and can jump as high as he needs to in order to win a ball. While scoring goals is not his priority, the fact that he’s already scored two from set piece situations shows how good he can be at winning crosses on both ends of the pitch.

In general, he’s positioning is quite good and he’s always making himself available for team-mates to pass the ball back to him. When it comes to marking players, he’s often successful and knows how to show rivals away from goal-scoring situations and into tight corners.

Despite having all the appearance of a mature defender, there is no substitute for experience and that is something that, off course, he lacks having only played in seven matches at professional level. This means that, occasionally, he’ll be eager and can be drawn out of the box into tackles that he can’t win, allowing the opposition to exploit the space behind him. Also, he’s not had the chance to face world-class strikers in terms of their speed or cunning eye for goal, let alone players of the size of Zlatan Ibrahimović or Robert Lewandowski.

Because of his speed in getting to the ball, Balanta prefers standing challenges and rarely makes sliding tackles. Also, it remains to be seen how good he is when forced to play the ball with his right foot.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #17610: Aug 29, 2014 01:18:45 am
      Another one? How many CB's do we need? We have 6 now with Skrtel, Lovren, Coates, Agger, Sakho and Kolo.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #17611: Aug 29, 2014 01:29:54 am
      Another one? How many CB's do we need? We have 6 now with Skrtel, Lovren, Coates, Agger, Sakho and Kolo.

Think it's supposed to be if Agger goes. I could see this player in DM and being outstanding there.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #17612: Aug 29, 2014 01:45:14 am
      So, we may be after this guy; Eder Alvarez Balanta (21 year old)

I tell you what he looks verrrry versitile and skillfull, may be a nightmare if he's always out of position but his role may be different playing for us.
      Seems like he reads the game amazingly (judging on youtube alone... I know) more than a case of just being gung-ho with his positioning or attack mindedness

Quote is off the Metro site, I know they fabricate most stuff but this seems very specific about the fee etc, it may be true.

"Liverpool have been told they can sign Colombian defender Eder Balanta for just £4.3million after his club River Plate lowered their asking price.

The Reds have been following versatile Balanta for most of the summer so far but have been frustrated by River’s £8million price tag on the player.

However, the club has now confirmed that they’re willing to accept just £4.3million, clearing the way for Liverpool to now swoop in.

‘We value him now at £4.3million,’ said River’s president Rodolfo D’Onofrio."

Eder Alvarez Balanta ● Defending ● Skills ● Goals | 2013-2014

Review off http://outsideoftheboot.com/2013/06/14/eder-alvarez-balanta-scout-report/

Style, Strengths & Weaknesses

Its not his confidence as a 20 yr old that are surprising but, rather, the calm and precise style in which he plays. Always focused on the play, Balanta is superb when faced with one-on-one situations. He has the perfect timing and skill to know when to put his leg in for a challenge and when to take it out to avoid a foul. So far, he’s shown this time and again.

He’s also very good at reading the game in defensive situations. Add to this the fact that he is quick on his feet and it becomes easy to explain how the Colombian often beats an opposing attacker to the ball. He is also strong when the time comes to use his weight to put pressure on the ball-carrier and rarely gets carried away into making a clumsy challenge.

A rarity amongst defenders in the top flight of Argentina, Eder Alvarez Balanta is quite a good passer of the ball and actually prefers to play the ball to a team-mate rather than clearing with power as is so common. When passing to a player near-by he chooses to play it across the surface, but when his target is further away he usually makes sure to pick-out a player with enough space to control a higher pass.

Its worth noting that his raised head when on the ball, and his good timing when off it have to do with his background as a central midfielder. That it was probably there that he developed those skills is something that a former Racing and River Plate great Roberto Permufo (also a DM turned centre-back) recently pointed out in a column.

When it comes to aerial challenges, his height is certainly not a problem. Not only is Balanta good with headers, he’s also got very strong legs and can jump as high as he needs to in order to win a ball. While scoring goals is not his priority, the fact that he’s already scored two from set piece situations shows how good he can be at winning crosses on both ends of the pitch.

In general, he’s positioning is quite good and he’s always making himself available for team-mates to pass the ball back to him. When it comes to marking players, he’s often successful and knows how to show rivals away from goal-scoring situations and into tight corners.

Despite having all the appearance of a mature defender, there is no substitute for experience and that is something that, off course, he lacks having only played in seven matches at professional level. This means that, occasionally, he’ll be eager and can be drawn out of the box into tackles that he can’t win, allowing the opposition to exploit the space behind him. Also, he’s not had the chance to face world-class strikers in terms of their speed or cunning eye for goal, let alone players of the size of Zlatan Ibrahimović or Robert Lewandowski.

Because of his speed in getting to the ball, Balanta prefers standing challenges and rarely makes sliding tackles. Also, it remains to be seen how good he is when forced to play the ball with his right foot.

Not one for judging a player through a YouTube video but he looks incredibly solid in the way he plays. Wouldn't mind this one being true especially if he's versatile and can cover DM.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #17613: Aug 29, 2014 01:51:35 am
      Think it's supposed to be if Agger goes. I could see this player in DM and being outstanding there.

You watch a lot of the Argentine Primera Division ???

I'm with Crouchie.  Can't see us signing a CB unless we sell at least 2 others (Agger/Coates/Toure) first.....

Does anyone think we may still have a surprise signing lined up for deadline day?  There are definitely a few who could still leave in Assaidi, Borini, Suso, Coates, Agger, and Lucas, but I'd imagine the only other players we'd even consider signing now would be a CDM/CM/CAM.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #17614: Aug 29, 2014 09:12:10 am
      He looks like a wannabe midfield player playing centre half from the video (David Luiz). Maybe they have him in mind as a defensive mid? To be fair we do need one.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3943 
      Reply #17615: Aug 29, 2014 09:13:56 am
      BR lines up Alex Song as Lucas replacement - Ibe to go on loan to Derby County.

more:
      http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-transfer-gossip-brendan-7682181
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #17616: Aug 29, 2014 09:57:19 am

Re Eder Balanta
      The text mentions something about jumping really high. Does anyone know if he was the one who did an absolutely massive jump in the World Cup?

I was also wondering about converting him to a deep midfielder.

I'd like to see us sell Toure, but otherwise, I think our def midfield(assuming Lucas goes) is thinner than central defence.

Ofcourse if we get one C Def injured, one struggling, with 4 in the squad we are down to the limit.

PLus I suspect Dagger will be out before the end of the window. Shame in  a way. He's a die hard life and career long Red. He's been a fantastic player (better than Skrtel IMO). ANd we havent even got an established central defence anyway.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #17617: Aug 29, 2014 10:33:13 am
      James Pearce ‏@JamesPearceEcho  54 min.
      @Gaz1892 maybe another keeper but can't see much happening. More outgoings than incomings now

Gary Jacob
      Liverpool, Tottenham and Juventus made a late attempt to sign Alex McCarthy but the Reading goalkeeper is expected to have a medical this morning to complete a £3 million deal with QPR

Gary Jacob
      Napoli are in talks to sign Daniel Agger, the Liverpool defender

Quick Reply