Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4207101 times
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #18124: Oct 31, 2014 02:27:19 pm
      It's not though. I want superstars, but I have a worry that even if we sign them, they'll turn out to be mercenaries. That was my point; not only was Gerrard awesome, be he was no merc. So even if we did sign another player of Gerrard's ability, he may and probably won't have the same passion for the club he does.

In that respect, it's going to be difficult replacing him and his 'presence' on the pitch

There's no double negative there. 'I don't know nothing' is a double negative.
      Other than I share your optimism and agree the manager has all season to prove he can get us out of this slump, it has no bearing on my views about losing the influential Gerrard.
      any part of his career for us. Taking Gerrard out of the team, we'll miss his presence more than his ability

Fair play, although Steven Gerrard did hold a gun to Liverpool two summers running, both times culminating in a new contract.
      I agree he'll be a difficult presence to replace but again you can look at things different ways, playing in the shadow and under the scrutiny of Steven Gerrard must have its challenges as well for the likes of Henderson, Cou, Sterling.
      I still feel our best performance last season was Spurs away when he was injured, life will go on without Steven Gerrard
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #18125: Oct 31, 2014 03:20:59 pm
      removed by edit - my reply to Stevie G thread -- duhhhh!  ;D
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #18126: Oct 31, 2014 03:35:59 pm
      Fair play, although Steven Gerrard did hold a gun to Liverpool two summers running, both times culminating in a new contract.
      I agree he'll be a difficult presence to replace but again you can look at things different ways, playing in the shadow and under the scrutiny of Steven Gerrard must have its challenges as well for the likes of Henderson, Cou, Sterling.
      I still feel our best performance last season was Spurs away when he was injured, life will go on without Steven Gerrard

talk about underplaying the significance of one of the top two all time players.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #18127: Oct 31, 2014 04:36:31 pm

It's something a lot of people overlook, and although I'm sure he had his reasons, it doesn't alter the facts.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #18128: Oct 31, 2014 10:27:48 pm

Not really, he wanted to leave because he didn't feel valued enough at the club. He wanted to pledge his future to the club but they didn't appear to be as bothered about getting him tied down at the club for the long term, it was only as he started to get close to a move that the the club finally moved to offer him the big contract he wanted and I mean that in terms of years on the contract, not so much the wage.

The way you have said it makes it seem like he done a Rooney, I want a pay rise or I am leaving.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #18129: Oct 31, 2014 10:44:08 pm
      Not really, he wanted to leave because he didn't feel valued enough at the club. He wanted to pledge his future to the club but they didn't appear to be as bothered about getting him tied down at the club for the long term, it was only as he started to get close to a move that the the club finally moved to offer him the big contract he wanted and I mean that in terms of years on the contract, not so much the wage.

The way you have said it makes it seem like he done a Rooney, I want a pay rise or I am leaving.

Yeah was nothing to do with £

If all about  years on the contract why did he need one after the other?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #18130: Oct 31, 2014 10:53:37 pm

Yeah was nothing to do with £

If all about  years on the contract why did he need one after the other?

He didn't do it two seasons running though. In fact I only remember the once and that was after Istanbul that he ever even actually flirted with leaving the club. All the rest was just your typical run of the mill interest a club has in a player.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #18131: Oct 31, 2014 11:07:41 pm
      He didn't do it two seasons running though. In fact I only remember the once and that was after Istanbul that he ever even actually flirted with leaving the club. All the rest was just your typical run of the mill interest a club has in a player.

Gerrard did contemplate leaving 2 years on the trot mate.

Rafa went to meet Gerrard, Owen and Carra at the 2004 Euro's just after taking over and after he had finished explaining just what he intended doing, they where devastated because they thought Rafa just didn't understand just how bad things were at Liverpool. That and the fact that Fat Frank was hanging round Gerrard like a bad smell trying to persuade Gerrard to leave for Chelsea meant they all contemplated their future at the club. The only surprise was it was Owen that eventually left and not Gerrard. 

I don't think it ever got anywhere near as close as the following season when Parry slept his way to almost seeing Gerrard leave.
      Benitez flys out for Gerrard talks
      By Peter ORourke |

New Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has flown out to Portugal to meet some of the club's players in action at Euro 2004.

It is thought that Bentiez, who was unveiled as Liverpool's new manager earlier this week, made the journey to have emergency talks with Reds skipper Steven Gerrard.

Reports are hinting that Gerrard may leave Anfield in the summer with Chelsea weighing up a big money move for the tough tackling midfielder.

Gerrard has revealed his unhappiness at Anfield and Bentiez is keen to meet him and try and persuade him to stay at the club.

The powerhouse midfielder is believed to be interested in a possible move to Chelsea and money would be no object for Blues owner Roman Abramovich to take Gerrard to Stamford Bridge.

Benitez is determined to keep Gerrard at the club and is looking to build the team around him next season as he aims to get the side back challenging for honours.

The Spanish coach also met with Michael Owen and Jamie Carragher to discuss his plans for his future and he will hope he can persuade Gerrard and Owen their ambitions can be matched on Merseyside.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #18132: Oct 31, 2014 11:09:14 pm

Simply the amount of interest/offers we must have had for Steven down the years and people think that was his one chance to leave and he was trying to force it for cash

F***ing unbelievable

The man is a living legend who has been one of the worlds greatest and most admired during his time who has given his career to us

The man should get nothing but praise and admiration from us

It doesn't matter to me that he could have left... F**k he probably should have done, 99.9% of world wide talents like his would have if they weren't winning the lot, whether it was their club or not

The lad is a hero a and a legend
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #18133: Oct 31, 2014 11:27:29 pm

and thats the difference .

Little Mickey never will be.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #18134: Nov 01, 2014 05:13:50 am
      He's not going anywhere Full F***ing Stop!
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,547 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #18135: Nov 06, 2014 01:49:45 pm
      Has been discussed on here already, and don't agree with all of it, but the fees we pay/let guys go for is something we need to try improve on.
      http://www.espnfc.com/barclays-premier-league/23/blog/post/2129229/liverpool-vs-chelsea-a-tale-of-two-clubs-going-in-different-directions-in-the-market
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #18136: Nov 06, 2014 02:05:41 pm
      Has been discussed on here already, and don't agree with all of it, but the fees we pay/let guys go for is something we need to try improve on.
      http://www.espnfc.com/barclays-premier-league/23/blog/post/2129229/liverpool-vs-chelsea-a-tale-of-two-clubs-going-in-different-directions-in-the-market

That was a good article, cheers.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #18137: Nov 06, 2014 03:47:19 pm
      when i said we should have signed bony you lot kept slagging me off like you do now when i'm saying we should sack brendan

Get in the F***ing bin.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #18138: Nov 06, 2014 04:01:33 pm

He's not going anywhere Full F***ing Stop!

I'd prefer we keep him, but only play him as an impact sub, he quite simply does not have the legs to play DM any more and his consistency and accuracy is getting worse by the game. I'd like to see him converted into an assistant manager role, ala Giggs. He seems to have a very good footballing brain which we should utilise after he hangs his boots up. The same goes for Carra.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #18139: Nov 06, 2014 04:42:59 pm
      From what I remembered at the time he texted Mourinho to say he was joining him before changing his mind.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #18140: Nov 06, 2014 05:02:22 pm
      Simply the amount of interest/offers we must have had for Steven down the years and people think that was his one chance to leave and he was trying to force it for cash

F***ing unbelievable

The man is a living legend who has been one of the worlds greatest and most admired during his time who has given his career to us

The man should get nothing but praise and admiration from us

It doesn't matter to me that he could have left... F**k he probably should have done, 99.9% of world wide talents like his would have if they weren't winning the lot, whether it was their club or not

The lad is a hero a and a legend

yes the lad is a legend and my favourite liverpool player

but let's not fool anyone into thinking that money didn't count
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #18141: Nov 06, 2014 05:19:05 pm
      yes the lad is a legend and my favourite liverpool player

but let's not fool anyone into thinking that money didn't count

What you talking about lad?

Yes he has had pay rises all the way through his career here, of course, naturally he has, you wouldn't expect him still to be on his YTS contract would you?  Players of his ability the money will always come but I guarantee you this he would have earned more by moving to Madrid, Chelsea or Milan than he got by his incremental wage rises here.. However you bill it I would doubt very F***ing much he stayed here simply due to money or that his only reason for the stuff that came out, by him or others over that Chelsea stuff was initiated by cash..

Tell you what though he stayed all his career here, in a period where we haven't been as successful as you or me or Stevie would want us to be, and in a time where a player of his talent, ability and appeal by suitors of which he could have gone and won league titles and more and for anyone to question him or suggest he only stayed here because of money.. Well there is nothing more to be said, you look at things the wrong way
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,487 posts | 231 
      Reply #18142: Nov 06, 2014 10:28:33 pm
      Ok looks like we have veered slightly off topic. But anyway - apart from the obvious signings (Reus etc...) I think we should pull out all stops for Martin Ødegaard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smi8jvNixL8

Hes 15 and is a regular in the first team. Ok Norwegian league is not that strong, but a good achievement. Hes also played for the Senior Norway team (twice). Has had training sessions at Man Utd and Bayern. Nearly every major club in Europe are after him. Boyhood Liverpool fan.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #18143: Nov 07, 2014 05:41:43 am
      Ok looks like we have veered slightly off topic. But anyway - apart from the obvious signings (Reus etc...) I think we should pull out all stops for Martin Ødegaard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smi8jvNixL8

Hes 15 and is a regular in the first team. Ok Norwegian league is not that strong, but a good achievement. Hes also played for the Senior Norway team (twice). Has had training sessions at Man Utd and Bayern. Nearly every major club in Europe are after him. Boyhood Liverpool fan.

Very impressed, dem footskills.
       His brain works in a way that most players synapses wouldn't be wired to try.

Is he a playmaker or a striker? The kids got some skills yo.

Edit: can't help it, got to make the comparison. Norwegian Suarez!
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,487 posts | 231 
      Reply #18144: Nov 07, 2014 08:50:40 am
      Very impressed, dem footskills.
       His brain works in a way that most players synapses wouldn't be wired to try.

Is he a playmaker or a striker? The kids got some skills yo.

Edit: can't help it, got to make the comparison. Norwegian Suarez!

He is mostly a playmaker though I'm sure his position could change in the next few years. For any country, to play for your national team at 15 is very impressive.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #18145: Nov 07, 2014 08:58:16 am
      Malaga have told Liverpool to pay just £4million if they want to sign Guillermo Ochoa in January.

As reported by Express Sport, the Reds are looking to sign the Mexico international after missing out on him after the World Cup.

Ochoa linked up with Malaga after being released by French outfit Ajaccio after Willy Cabellero was allowed to join Manchester City, but the shot-stopper has yet to make an appearance for Javi Gracia's team.

His unhappiness has alerted Brendan Rodgers, who is keen to provide Simon Mignolet with competition, and according to reports, the boss will only have to stump up £4m for Ochoa's signature.

Source: Daily Express
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #18146: Nov 07, 2014 02:15:55 pm
      Never watched much of Ochoa in Europe but always thought he was a beast for América (Mexico). Would be an interesting signing.

Quick Reply