Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4179580 times
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #18400: Dec 20, 2014 10:59:36 am
      Liverpool are looking to offload midfielder Lucas Leiva when the transfer window reopens in January. Several South American sides, as well as Napoli, have enquired about the Brazilian but it is Inter who lead the race for his signature.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #18401: Dec 20, 2014 11:09:08 am
      Some talk about Lucas in negotiations with Inter Milan about a loan deal in January.

http://talksport.com/football/lucas-likely-leave-liverpool-january-inter-milan-hold-talks-over-loan-deal-141219129287?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #18402: Dec 20, 2014 11:33:21 am

I can understand from the lads point of view to be perfectly honest - I don't think over the piece he necessarily has had a fair shake of the stick. It was very hard to change the shape in second half of last season and to an extent he was the principal casualty

That said he really is a one-off in squad terms for us so he's certainly not the first I'd be looking to offload. I'd much prefer to let "Little Joe" go elsewhere if we feel the need to shed a midfielder. That would also generate somewhat more of a fee I'd have thought.

Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #18403: Dec 20, 2014 11:53:56 am
      Lucas is playing regularly now. He's also back to his pre-injury self (well, maybe close to, he really was a beast). Don't see the point in letting him go, unless we are bringing in a top DM, which isn't our highest priority.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #18404: Dec 20, 2014 12:57:10 pm
      I can understand from the lads point of view to be perfectly honest - I don't think over the piece he necessarily has had a fair shake of the stick. It was very hard to change the shape in second half of last season and to an extent he was the principal casualty

That said he really is a one-off in squad terms for us so he's certainly not the first I'd be looking to offload. I'd much prefer to let "Little Joe" go elsewhere if we feel the need to shed a midfielder. That would also generate somewhat more of a fee I'd have thought.

Agree completely, Lucas is of far more benefit to the squad than Allen, the key word here tho' is choice.
      If Lucas feels he will get a fairer crack at it with Inter there isn't too much anyone can do about it.
      Not a very appealing prospect if that came about - Joe Allen first choice.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #18405: Dec 20, 2014 01:19:01 pm
      If Lucas goes and we get no replacement then we've (Brendan) learnt nothing from the Champions League.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #18406: Dec 20, 2014 02:19:05 pm
      I love Lucas. I'd hate to see him leave the club.

The only way I'd be ok with it is if someone like Khedira or Carvalho or someone of that ilk came in his place. Even then, it'd be sad in a sentimental sort of way.

All of the money to Everton for Barkley please.
      Show some f**king ambition if you want to continue to buy British.

Barkley is massively overrated because he's British. Doesn't have a patch on Max Meyer, Hakan Calhanoglu, or about half of the Bundesliga players in the same position.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #18407: Dec 20, 2014 04:35:29 pm
      I love Lucas. I'd hate to see him leave the club.

The only way I'd be ok with it is if someone like Khedira or Carvalho or someone of that ilk came in his place. Even then, it'd be sad in a sentimental sort of way.

Barkley is massively overrated because he's British. Doesn't have a patch on Max Meyer, Hakan Calhanoglu, or about half of the Bundesliga players in the same position.

I'd miss Lucas too. The amount of sh*t we've given him over the years is shocking, but yet, he continues to prove people wrong. Absolutely love him for that. The only time I would let him go is if we bought an exceptional defensive midfielder, or perhaps maybe then, keep Lucas as back up :D

As for Barkley, I think he's massively overrated by the British media. Very good player though and would certainly love us to sign him, but it'll never happen.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #18408: Dec 20, 2014 06:18:24 pm

Thats rather ignorant I feel. I would almost argue the opposite, in that if Max Meyer was playing in the Premier League and Barkley in Germany you'd have said the exact same comment only with Meyer being the overrated one because he's British. Always been the way that young talent from Europe are hyped up to no end whilst in reality they are about the same standard as we see from players like Barkley.

raymondo92
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #18409: Dec 20, 2014 09:39:15 pm
      Would anyone take Charlie Austin in January in a deal that involved Borini going the opposite way?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #18410: Dec 20, 2014 10:21:14 pm
      Would anyone take Charlie Austin in January in a deal that involved Borini going the opposite way?

100%
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #18411: Dec 20, 2014 10:29:07 pm

Depends if we want to be serious about being a top club or not
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #18412: Dec 20, 2014 10:31:41 pm
      serious shouts for Charlie Austin for Borini.

what on earth has happened to our club....
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #18413: Dec 20, 2014 10:39:56 pm
      Filed under the "what could have been" archive:

We actually did put in a formal bid for Diego Costa in the summer of 2013; Atletico rejected it.

We did put in a formal bid for Sanchez this summer; he went to Arsenal.

But suppose those deals had gone through and we had kept Suarez.

We'd have a front three of--- 

Sanchez Costa Suarez

---just imagine that.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #18414: Dec 20, 2014 11:23:24 pm

QPR wouldn't be stupid enough to do that! Borini wouldn't score 11 league goals in a season never mind the 15 games it's taken Austin to do it in.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #18415: Dec 21, 2014 01:43:07 am
      Depends if we want to be serious about being a top club or not

3 target players, no mobility and movement, just pump long balls and out muscle every defence in the world. Imagine that.

Remember when people used to say Barca or Real would struggle in the prem because of teams like, Stoke, West ham etc. Their long ball and physicality on a winters night, they wouldn't know what hit them?!? It'll be us soon if we get Austin!
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #18416: Dec 21, 2014 08:57:16 am
      Not that I want Sterling to leave or anything (if he goes we will be in deep, deep, deep sh*te), but if he were sold today, what do you think his value would be on the market?

£40m?  £50m?

to be honest I think that right now he would be in my books around the same value as Suarez was last summer.  Not saying Raheem is at Suarez's level, but Suarez is about to be 28 and Raheem is only 20.  So one is coming towards the decline of his career whereas Sterling is essentially just starting his.  he's already one of the best players in England and he's still essentially a kid.

I might even place his value as high as £60m or £70m.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #18417: Dec 21, 2014 10:59:15 am
      Not that I want Sterling to leave or anything (if he goes we will be in deep, deep, deep sh*te), but if he were sold today, what do you think his value would be on the market?

£40m?  £50m?

to be honest I think that right now he would be in my books around the same value as Suarez was last summer.  Not saying Raheem is at Suarez's level, but Suarez is about to be 28 and Raheem is only 20.  So one is coming towards the decline of his career whereas Sterling is essentially just starting his.  he's already one of the best players in England and he's still essentially a kid.

Totally agree. This is why we ought to pay him whatever he wants (it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things) and get a really serious buy out clause in. My guess is he'll be gone in a couple of years, so lets box it off now.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #18418: Dec 21, 2014 11:09:25 am
      Totally agree. This is why we ought to pay him whatever he wants (it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things) and get a really serious buy out clause in. My guess is he'll be gone in a couple of years, so lets box it off now.

that would be a bad omen!  we paid Suarez whatever he wanted and had a big buyout clause.  He left less than six months later!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #18419: Dec 21, 2014 12:24:50 pm

£40m?  £50m?

If Barkley is somehow valued at 50m then Sterling is easily valued at 70m. However, both valuations are ludicrous!
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #18420: Dec 21, 2014 03:58:25 pm

Why? Without a buyout clause, his buyout is as high as we want it to be. Buyout clauses are for the benefit of the player not the club.

EDIT: just to clarify, I'm not questioning offering him a new big juicy contract! Just saying we don't need to put a buyout in it.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #18421: Dec 21, 2014 11:35:50 pm
      We better be fast movers come January.
      We have some big games (Chelski double in Jan/Feb) with the Europa league kicking off again shortly after. We can't rely on Daniel saving us, and should just treat his return as a bonus.
      We need another pacey striker/winger, which will slot in nicely and provide competition with Sterling/Origi/Daniel next season.
      Keeper has to be number 1 though, even if a stop gap solution of a 35+ old to plug the hole.

Sahara
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 102 posts |
      Reply #18422: Dec 22, 2014 08:32:42 am
      what about the torres rumours? In the star and express so hardly gospel, but i feel it could be a good move for us, and him.
      With stevie & coutinho putting those balls for him to run on to, could potentially do a job for us again.
      But only if FSG are unwilling to splash the cash on someone better.

Quick Reply