Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4200144 times
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #18998: Jan 29, 2015 04:20:28 am
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,519 posts | 713 
      Reply #18999: Jan 29, 2015 09:03:23 am
      I may be crazy but im not overly bothered if we sell Sterling. I think hes a really good player, potentially could be great. But hes an unfinished product and if he wants over 120 k a week while being an unfinished product and we could get 50+ million for him to go sit on Real Madrids bench, why the hell not!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #19000: Jan 29, 2015 09:07:27 am
      I may be crazy but im not overly bothered if we sell Sterling. I think hes a really good player, potentially could be great. But hes an unfinished product and if he wants over 120 k a week while being an unfinished product and we could get 50+ million for him to go sit on Real Madrids bench, why the hell not!

You never let your best players leave. We've done that too many times and its bit us in the arse. Sterling leaves and somebody like N'Zogbia is his replacement, no thanks!
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #19001: Jan 29, 2015 09:09:23 am

Stay still. The men in the white coats will be along to collect you soon.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,689 posts | 6691 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #19002: Jan 29, 2015 09:20:28 am
      Stay still. The men in the white coats will be along to collect you soon.

That cracked me up.  :lmao: :lmao:
      mcmulled
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 306 posts | 13 
      Reply #19003: Jan 29, 2015 12:19:12 pm
      I never get why people take price into consideration as fans

i.e. Worth buying him for 10m not 18m

worth selling him for 50m not 30m

As fans we really do not know what real fees are, wages etc. what underlying financial situation and budget is etc. - this isn't football manager, it shouldn't concern us as long as any deals done do not leave us in financial ruin - which we simply have to trust the owners and execs with.

Our sole consideration as fans should be does buying / selling that player make us as a team and squad stronger or weaker overall? (both now and in the long term)

Sterling = DO NOT SELL!!!!!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #19004: Jan 29, 2015 12:47:00 pm
      I never get why people take price into consideration as fans

Me neither but some get a real kick out of it.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #19005: Jan 29, 2015 12:52:22 pm
      Me neither but some get a real kick out of it.

My lad finally got round to showing me "Football Manager" a few weeks back.

Now I understand.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #19006: Jan 29, 2015 12:53:23 pm
      I think the transfer board are on a winter break and wont be back till July
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #19007: Jan 29, 2015 01:43:28 pm
      My lad finally got round to showing me "Football Manager" a few weeks back.

Now I understand.

Even when FSG have told us we'll never spend what we can't afford and never pay over what they feel a player is worth Swab? ;)  ;D
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #19008: Jan 29, 2015 02:10:26 pm
      So any sign of a new striker?

No?

Thought not.

Hope Danny makes an instant impact on his return and stays fit for the rest of the season else we can forget about winning a cup or finishing top 4.

Big gamble Brendan don't you think?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #19009: Jan 29, 2015 02:15:05 pm
      Even when FSG have told us we'll never spend what we can't afford and never pay over what they feel a player is worth Swab? ;)  ;D

I know your post was tongue in cheek mate, but it does point to an issue many would rather forget, namely that FSG said we will live within our means, and the club will not spend money it doesn't generate itself (apart from the interest free loans of course ;)  )

Then there's the second part where we constantly see people moaning that we have paid over the odds, or been shafted by another club on a players price (Dempsey was a good example of this), but then in the next breath the same people moan that we should pay whatever it takes.
      It's no wonder I get dizzy reading some posts ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #19010: Jan 29, 2015 02:19:09 pm
      I know your post was tongue in cheek mate, but it does point to an issue many would rather forget, namely that FSG said we will live within our means, and the club will not spend money it doesn't generate itself (apart from the interest free loans of course ;)  )

Then there's the second part where we constantly see people moaning that we have paid over the odds, or been shafted by another club on a players price (Dempsey was a good example of this), but then in the next breath the same people moan that we should pay whatever it takes.
      It's no wonder I get dizzy reading some posts ;D

Its why I dont really get worked up over fees

If we pay £100 million for a player its because FSG think he is worth it and we can afford it.

Irrelevant if I think he's worth it or not.

If I think he's sh*te I'll not want us to sign him no matter how much, or how little, he costs and Lallana was an example of this as I was one of the few who didn't care how much he was costing.
      « Last Edit: Jan 29, 2015 02:43:43 pm by srslfc »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #19011: Jan 29, 2015 02:40:43 pm
      Its why I dont really get worked up over fees

If we pay £100 million for a player its because FSH think he is worth it and we can afford it.

Irrelevant if I think he's worth it or not.

If I think he's sh*te I'll not want us to sign him no matter how much, or how little, he costs and Lallana was an example of this as I was one of the few who didn't care how much he was costing.

Like you, I really can't see the point of getting worked up over fees.
      To me, a player is worth what our manager is prepared to pay, and F**k transfermarket or whatever that silly website is called.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #19012: Jan 29, 2015 04:34:14 pm
      Fees do matter though. While I agree it's a bit silly when some get super bent out of shape when it isn't even their money, we have to remember that we don't have an endless budget. What we pay and what we recoup does matter. And if FFP were to ever have any kind of teeth (don't hold your breath), it's even more important.

Lovren cost £20m and so far he's had 2-3 good games, erratic-to-near-brainless performances, and a few injuries. Injuries happen, but when you drop £20m on a defender, you'd hope he'd be able to slot in seamlessly, especially when he's already familiar with the league and playing a style that's not too terribly dissimilar to his previous club. It's not wrong to say, "Hey that £20m could have been better spent."
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #19013: Jan 29, 2015 05:36:27 pm
      Fees do matter though. While I agree it's a bit silly when some get super bent out of shape when it isn't even their money, we have to remember that we don't have an endless budget. What we pay and what we recoup does matter. And if FFP were to ever have any kind of teeth (don't hold your breath), it's even more important.

Lovren cost £20m and so far he's had 2-3 good games, erratic-to-near-brainless performances, and a few injuries. Injuries happen, but when you drop £20m on a defender, you'd hope he'd be able to slot in seamlessly, especially when he's already familiar with the league and playing a style that's not too terribly dissimilar to his previous club. It's not wrong to say, "Hey that £20m could have been better spent."

But if Lovren was a player the manager wanted I'd want us to sign him no matter what the cost as I want the club to get the manager the players he wants irrespective of whether I think he's worth it or not.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #19014: Jan 29, 2015 06:26:55 pm

It's correct that we don't have an endless budget, and that's why it's more than a little silly that people who don't know what that budget actually is start banging on about the cost of players, which is invariably wrong anyway.

In other words, getting outraged over what amounts to little more than guesswork says to me that some just go around looking for an excuse to be outraged.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #19015: Jan 29, 2015 06:42:45 pm
      So any sign of a new striker?

No?

Thought not.

Hope Danny makes an instant impact on his return and stays fit for the rest of the season else we can forget about winning a cup or finishing top 4.

Big gamble Brendan don't you think?

I don't know about that. Obviously a striker would help massively - absolutely no disagreement there. But on Tuesdays performance, I honestly believe we would have beaten any other team in the league. Hell, if we played like that, 2 out of 3 times I reckon we'd beat Chelsea. I think it is possible, on the basis of recent form, to get top 4 even if he misses a third of the remaining games (which is about his "normal" injury rate).
      I think keeping Lucas, Can, Coutinho and Sakho fit is almost as important though so I'm hoping that Sakho's back injury isn't serious.
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #19016: Jan 29, 2015 06:56:41 pm
      It's correct that we don't have an endless budget, and that's why it's more than a little silly that people who don't know what that budget actually is start banging on about the cost of players, which is invariably wrong anyway.

In other words, getting outraged over what amounts to little more than guesswork says to me that some just go around looking for an excuse to be outraged.

But it's easy to work out what we can spend, look at last years accounts apply FFP and you can see our budget.

Plus I wish people would stop banging on about owners putting their hands in their own pocket as you cannot under FFP. The biggest and most exciting this for me is FFP does take account of sponsorship, external business deals etc so we should be in a far better position in the summer.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6358 
      Reply #19017: Jan 29, 2015 07:15:14 pm

I think most of the outrage comes from hearing that we were interested in a player, that we dicked around and bid X million for said player, then someone else comes in and offers X+2 million and we bow out.

Who knows how often that's "actually" been the case but with the limited information we have to go on, it does seem like it's happened at least a couple of times (thinking about Salah and Dempsey...possibly Willian and Kono as well).

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #19018: Jan 29, 2015 07:33:50 pm
      Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers is considering summer deals for Hannover midfield pair Lars Stindl, 26, and Leonardo Bittencourt, 21. (Daily Star)

Rodgers is preparing a £29m bid to beat Paris St-Germain, Real Madrid and Juventus to 17-year-old midfielder Ruben Neves, known as the 'new Sergio Busquets' at Porto. (Daily Express)

Don't know those papers but they don't seem very reliable. Well, anyway, they were on BBC's gossip page.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #19019: Jan 29, 2015 10:20:50 pm

Rodgers is preparing a £29m bid to beat Paris St-Germain, Real Madrid and Juventus to 17-year-old midfielder Ruben Neves, known as the 'new Sergio Busquets' at Porto. (Daily Express)

£29 million on a 17 year old? Yep that sounds like something we wound do alright  :f_tongueincheek: F**k me silly season is in full swing now! Papers are getting desperate for stories.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #19020: Jan 29, 2015 10:35:20 pm

Quick Reply