Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4199698 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #24817: May 25, 2016 01:28:42 pm
      I am not going to get too excited or too depressed by our signings . Unless we sign Barcelona's front 3  some are going to be a success and some will fail. I hope we don't change things too much or it will lead to the rebuilding excuse again. We have a goalkeeper we need a really good DM and a left wingback. I wouldn't be too pissed off if Benteke stayed I just think he has had a horror season and with Jugen working with him he has to be so much better than we have seen.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #24818: May 25, 2016 01:35:57 pm
      To be fair he sounds just what I was asking for :-

I am sure I will find something to criticise him for if I look hard enough. Maybe I should concentrate on price... £45 million we could get 9 or 10 players for that!  :)

There you go see, the recruitment team are catering for everyone's requirements regardless of price and most importantly, they're catering for what the team and Manager needs.

A starting Keeper, a starting Centre Back and a young Midfielder have already arrived and now we're linked with an even better, more experienced, starting Midfielder and a wide attacking player that scores goals, also a starter.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #24819: May 25, 2016 01:41:00 pm
      There you go see, the recruitment team are catering for everyone's requirements regardless of price and most importantly, they're catering for what the team and Manager needs.

A starting Keeper, a starting Centre Back and a young Midfielder have already arrived and now we're linked with an even better, more experienced, starting Midfielder and a wide attacking player that scores goals, also a starter.

I think you had better stop there Debs before I start getting all positive. I don't think I could handle it again. 

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #24820: May 25, 2016 01:51:09 pm
      I think you had better stop there Debs before I start getting all positive. I don't think I could handle it again. 

Sorry bud, can't help myself sometimes  :-[
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,501 posts | 1645 
      • YNWA
      Reply #24821: May 25, 2016 02:54:56 pm
      Just to play devils advocate first for minute...

Mignolet was full Belgian International and recognised by many as one of the best keepers in the PL when signed in 2013. Karius rated is one of top keepers in German League, no PL experience, little International. So 'when signed' you could argue Migs was actually the better prospect?!
      Matip was allowed leave on a free, no apparent interest from bigger clubs.
      Grujic is young, played nowhere else but Red Star, with no senior International experience.

BUT these are guys highlighted by Klopp, and anyone has to place huge store by that.
      He's built sides before, and hopefully he will again :)

Grujic looks a prospect and at a young age (20) already a key player for the Red Star. Has had big clubs interested - but won over by Klopp/Buvac.
      Matip, tall lad 6"4', plenty of experience though only 24, a full International for Cameroon.
      Loris as mentioned, rated highly in a league with good record for keepers. Imo of all the signings, will be under most pressure to perform given our recent very poor history in the GK position.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #24822: May 25, 2016 05:24:52 pm
      Ok it's the Mirror but I wouldn't say no to him.  Great young player in a position we need some back up in.

Liverpool join race for £10million-rated West Ham starlet Reece Oxford

16:28, 25 MAY 2016 UPDATED 16:28, 25 MAY 2016 BY SIMON MULLOCK

The Merseysiders failed with an ambitious attempt to snatch the 17-year-old away from the Hammers last summer

Liverpool have joined the race to sign West Ham’s teenage talent Reece Oxford.

The Merseysiders failed with an ambitious attempt to snatch the 17-year-old away from the Hammers last summer before he had even made his senior debut.

But they are back in the hunt after being made aware that Oxford is available for around £10million after rejecting West Ham’s offer of a new contract.

The Reds face stiff competition from both Manchester clubs. But Jürgen Klopp is hoping that his reputation for putting his trust in young players will persuade Oxford to opt for Anfield.

Oxford’s versatility - he can play centre-back or as a defensive midfielder - is a big plus for Klopp as he looks to strengthen his Liverpool squad.

The player is looking to get his future sorted before he reports for England Under-19 duty next week.

Aidy Boothroyd’s young Lions are embarking on a two-game trip to Mexico as they prepare for next month’s junior Euros in Germany.

Oxford, who became West Ham’s youngest-ever player when he made his debut last July when he made his debut against FC Lusitanos in the Europa League, has two years left on his current deal.

He is widely regarded as one of the hottest young prospects in the English game and West Ham’s asking price has not put off the three north-west giants.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-join-race-10million-rated-8049332
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #24823: May 25, 2016 06:54:31 pm
      Yes there are bargains out there mate, the trick is finding them. Leicester were extremely lucky and found 3 or 4 but usually when a club finds one they count their blessings, because before you find a quality bargain you usually have to buy a lot of crap first.

There is a reason top clubs are at the top and more importantly stay there and it's not down to the odd bargain buy. Its buying top quality players that keeps clubs at the top and competing for titles year after year.

Every team in the league is looking for the quality bargain buy... how many find one, never mind 3 or 4 ? More often the team that sells it's quality players and brings in the cheap alternatives finishes up like Villa rather than Leicester. 

Of course you can also buy expensive flops, but usually there is good reason that a player has a high price tag, but you do still have to remember that "past performance is no guarantee of future results". 

Any doubts ...take a look at the players we have bought in the bargain bin over the last few years.

There is no doubt that when you pay huge money for a flop it is a much more significant blow than paying £5 million or so for a cheap gamble, but there is also no doubt that buying 4 or 5 cheap gambles is more likely to see you heading down the league rather than up it.

For me you look for top quality and suffer the odd cheap missed opportunity because in the end its quality that usually counts and while the Leicesters of this world may hit the jackpot once in a lifetime I'm hoping for more than that.

I understand your point, but paying top dollar for proven quality doesn't guarantee sh*t.  Just look at Torres, Shevchenko, Di Maria, Robinho, etc.  Often times it's the lesser known players who have been properly scouted who end up having the biggest impact for their new club -- Xabi Alonso, Coutinho, Payet, Kante, Mahrez;  or Marco Reus, Mats Hummels, and Lewandowski (when Klopp signed them for Dortmund), etc.  Sometimes it's the team willing to take a gamble on a player who ends up with a gem - Pogba, Cantona, Suarez, etc.  Of course this can backfire, but if the manager, scouts, and negotiators are all working together and pulling in the same direction, then it shouldn't matter how popular or expensive our targets are....
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #24824: May 25, 2016 09:06:17 pm

the story is that both masch and Dani alves are off to juve
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #24825: May 25, 2016 09:19:06 pm

I think Masch has another 3-4 seasons at top level playing in the DM role. Would have been great if we had snapped him up.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,501 posts | 1645 
      • YNWA
      Reply #24826: May 25, 2016 09:59:42 pm

Wonder what the average age of players is in Italy compared to other leagues. Am I imagining it, or is it where a good chunk of players who are past their best, but not yet ready for the MLS, go?

In saying that, how good was Esteban Cambiasso for Leicester. Player of the year in the 2014/15 season. The focal point for their turnaround? A leader, organiser, calm under pressure, scored goals. Massive influence on the squad.
      Would like us to have a player like that, even if not in the first XI every week, someone on the training pitch, in the dressing room etc. Someone with massive experience who can still perform at high level. Hmm, what tree do they grow on...
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #24827: May 25, 2016 10:12:14 pm
      Got to admit I don't know much about him, but good news is we are trying to upgrade on Moreno!

https://twitter.com/xxx/status/735575834841452545
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #24828: May 25, 2016 10:26:18 pm
      Are Dortmund the new Spurs when it comes to transfers?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #24829: May 25, 2016 10:40:51 pm
      Are Dortmund the new Spurs when it comes to transfers?

Haha was just coming in to post that mate.  I think it's more likely Jürgen, his Brain or his Eyes brought their scouting reports mate.

Dembele, Gotze, Coric, Zielinski and now this lad, I think it's more than coincidence.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #24830: May 25, 2016 11:18:24 pm
      On the topic of Raphael Guerreiro, I'm genuinely not sure on him. Just been watching some YouTube videos (I know) and looking at his appearance stats for the previous 2 seasons...

2014/15
      LW: 23 games, 7 goals, 4 assists
      LB: 13 games, 0 goals, 1 assist

2015/16
      LW: 18 games, 1 goal, 1 assist
      LB: 23 games, 2 goals, 1 assist

From the little I've seen and the games he's played at LW he seems like he's the carbon copy of Moreno. We're going to have huge holes left on that side of the pitch when he bombs forward like Moreno does now. He seems like a Klopp type left back and I know it'd make sense to go for him if Klopp really wants him but I get the feeling our defence won't improve as a result.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #24831: May 25, 2016 11:23:48 pm
      On the topic of Raphael Guerreiro, I'm genuinely not sure on him. Just been watching some YouTube videos (I know) and looking at his appearance stats for the previous 2 seasons...

2014/15
      LW: 23 games, 7 goals, 4 assists
      LB: 13 games, 0 goals, 1 assist

2015/16
      LW: 18 games, 1 goal, 1 assist
      LB: 23 games, 2 goals, 1 assist

From the little I've seen and the games he's played at LW he seems like he's the carbon copy of Moreno. We're going to have huge holes left on that side of the pitch when he bombs forward like Moreno does now. He seems like a Klopp type left back and I know it'd make sense to go for him if Klopp really wants him but I get the feeling our defence won't improve as a result.

Did you notice glaring holes which were exploited or defensive gaffs like our Moerono?

I have no issues with a attacking fullback as long as they know when to attack and when they defend they are competent.

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #24832: May 25, 2016 11:24:29 pm
      Problem today and going forward is so many LB's are converted wingers, 1st question that seems to be asked about defenders nowadays seems to be "can he score...can he play from the back"...It would seem the art of defense is slowly dying out.

#thankfultohaveClyne
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #24833: May 25, 2016 11:27:03 pm
      Problem today and going forward is so many LB's are converted wingers, 1st question that seems to be asked about defenders nowadays seems to be "can he score...can he play from the back"...It would seem the art of defense is slowly dying out.

#thankfultohaveClyne

Agree thankfully the Leicester fullbacks have shown this to be nonsense.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #24834: May 25, 2016 11:30:49 pm
      Did you notice glaring holes which were exploited or defensive gaffs like our Moerono?

I have no issues with a attacking fullback as long as they know when to attack and when they defend they are competent.

I couldn't find any videos based on his defending, it was all attacking.

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,519 posts | 713 
      Reply #24835: May 25, 2016 11:45:50 pm
      Agree thankfully the Leicester fullbacks have shown this to be nonsense.

Leicester also have actual width and wingers in attacking areas.
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #24836: May 26, 2016 12:45:33 am

#thankfultohaveClyne

#wouldratherhaveAlves
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #24837: May 26, 2016 02:07:36 am

Nah little bit too old now.

Plus he's off to Juve with Mascherano!
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #24838: May 26, 2016 02:26:26 am
      Nah little bit too old now.

Plus he's off to Juve with Mascherano!

Ha! Was just the first example that popped in my head, but the point is that most of the best teams in the world have very attack minded fullbacks.  Clyne is a good player, but the recent jibes about only wanting a fullback who can defend are ridiculous.  We aren't managed by Mourinho -- the next stop for the bus is the Old Toilet!! :)
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #24839: May 26, 2016 03:57:16 am
      ;D @ the idea of juventus getting two barcelona players

Quick Reply