Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4206690 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #26818: Jul 29, 2016 01:36:06 pm
      I'm of the persuasion he's being a tad economical with the truth here mouse
      Very possible Billy and when you think about it that 'strategy' is win win. Imagine if you were Jürgen's lawyer (or spokesman  ;)  :P).

* He signs no one and you can say he was being open and honest.

* He signs someone and you can say it was the plan all along.

Win win.

Then again; if I was a person who has quoted Jürgen, time and time again, to provide evidence and weight to my arguments... I would have to say that he's being honest and open this time round too.

I mean; I either belive the man or I don't... I can't just cherry pick to suit.

My own take is that, just like before, Jürgen is being open and honest. Something I praised him for elsewhere. I also believe he's pragmatic enough to change his mind if it's best for the team.

I trust him (like I trust all managers) to do what they believe is best for Liverpool. Whether what they believe will happen and what actually happens end up being the same thing is immaterial. It's his 'neck' on the line.

If he goes with Moreno, with Milner as backup; I'll accept that. Same if he goes with a new signing.  8)

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #26819: Jul 29, 2016 01:55:00 pm
      I saw this on the Sky Sports Transfer Centre... MORENO SET FOR CITY?

Safe to say I got a little excited before seeing it was some young striker :D

just send him anyway they might not notice.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #26820: Jul 29, 2016 01:57:27 pm
      Is there a left back who we could make a big improvement in our defence. Again I think Jürgen sees something in Moreno that others don't his speed is incredible andyou would hope Jürgen could develop his defending. Sometimes I think he looks brilliant going forward and then other times you feel like watching him from behind the Sofa.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #26821: Jul 29, 2016 02:48:27 pm
      Is there a left back who we could make a big improvement in our defence. Again I think Jürgen sees something in Moreno that others don't his speed is incredible andyou would hope Jürgen could develop his defending. Sometimes I think he looks brilliant going forward and then other times you feel like watching him from behind the Sofa.

His speed is incredible but so was Gonzalez, Babel and Pennant. Shame they couldn't do anything with a football.

Moreno is the same for me. Pegs it down the wing, gets to the edge of the box, stops then passes it backwards/sideways.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #26822: Jul 29, 2016 03:07:41 pm
      His speed is incredible but so was Gonzalez, Babel and Pennant. Shame they couldn't do anything with a football.

Moreno is the same for me. Pegs it down the wing, gets to the edge of the box, stops then passes it backwards/sideways.

It's a problem with a lot of footballers these days mate, pace to burn but little football intelligence... see Sterling, Ibe, Townsend etc.
      biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #26823: Jul 29, 2016 03:10:56 pm
      Apparently the Echo are linking us with Jese at Real Madrid today
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #26824: Jul 29, 2016 03:29:32 pm

Good player I think. Rather have James or Isco mind you.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #26825: Jul 29, 2016 03:37:32 pm
      Good player I think. Rather have James or Isco mind you.

We will one million per cent not be buying players from Real.

If we were the only player we should look at is Kovacic as we AM's coming out our ears.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #26826: Jul 29, 2016 03:44:23 pm

They're not linking us with him, that's just in their rumour mill. It's Marca that are linking everybody with him.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #26827: Jul 29, 2016 05:15:31 pm
      Sick of being linked with players we don't need.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #26828: Jul 29, 2016 06:59:59 pm
      Very possible Billy and when you think about it that 'strategy' is win win. Imagine if you were Jürgen's lawyer (or spokesman  ;)  :P).

* He signs no one and you can say he was being open and honest.

* He signs someone and you can say it was the plan all along.

Win win.

Then again; if I was a person who has quoted Jürgen, time and time again, to provide evidence and weight to my arguments... I would have to say that he's being honest and open this time round too.

I mean; I either belive the man or I don't... I can't just cherry pick to suit.

My own take is that, just like before, Jürgen is being open and honest. Something I praised him for elsewhere. I also believe he's pragmatic enough to change his mind if it's best for the team.

I trust him (like I trust all managers) to do what they believe is best for Liverpool. Whether what they believe will happen and what actually happens end up being the same thing is immaterial. It's his 'neck' on the line.

If he goes with Moreno, with Milner as backup; I'll accept that. Same if he goes with a new signing.  8)

Funny you say that Mouse regarding Milner, I think he could do a very decent job at lb, he has imo a better engine than Alberto despite his age, has a few more brain cells too and can deliver a decent cross if he clears the first man, I've seen him tackle as good as any defender and his experience is invaluable....

....getting back to Jürgen your probably right mate but I can't help but think he'd rather keep business in house, I know he's very honest and likes to tell you how it is pitchside, yet it wouldn't surprise me if he stuck with what he has,

Just wondered mate you said you trust all managers to do the right thing for LFC, did you include Hodgson in your thoughts?? 😀

YNWA
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #26829: Jul 29, 2016 07:02:56 pm

Agreed. The Moreno bashing has gone completely OTT because of the Sevilla match. He needs to improve for sure but I read someone advocating signing Ryan Bertrand to replace him! Honestly, you'd think he was Djimi Traore from reading this board. I thought he showed enough glimpses last season to show there could be a player there and if it wasn't for his poor performance in the final, there wouldn't be nearly the level of contempt. If his confidence is wrecked now and he is utter bobbins we'll be back in the market in January.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #26830: Jul 29, 2016 08:25:34 pm
      I think Klopp can find a decent player in the Moreno mix up. He has the pace to attack and recover, he just needs to be calmer and more clinical in his defending. I'm sure all the coaching staff are aware of that, and will be working on him, also working on his final ball.
      As for some of the sideways and backwards passes, he's so F***ing quick, he often can't cross the final ball, because all our players are 15 yards behind him. He just needs to learn to use his pace to our advantage.
      Not saying we don't need cover at LB, but he's not the worst i've seen.
      Milner can cover, but we will need to reshape the back line for him, due to his lack of pace.
      Only my opinion though.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #26831: Jul 29, 2016 11:20:37 pm
      I think Klopp can find a decent player in the Moreno mix up. He has the pace to attack and recover, he just needs to be calmer and more clinical in his defending. I'm sure all the coaching staff are aware of that, and will be working on him, also working on his final ball.
      As for some of the sideways and backwards passes, he's so f**king quick, he often can't cross the final ball, because all our players are 15 yards behind him. He just needs to learn to use his pace to our advantage.
      Not saying we don't need cover at LB, but he's not the worst i've seen.
      Milner can cover, but we will need to reshape the back line for him, due to his lack of pace.
      Only my opinion though.

Are you high?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #26832: Jul 30, 2016 08:45:55 am
      Just wondered mate you said you trust all managers to do the right thing for LFC, did you include Hodgson in your thoughts??
      :laugh:

Nah mate... read it again: I said I trusted them all to do what they  believe is best for Liverpool Billy. Whether their best is good enough or their belief in themselves is unfounded is a whole different matter and open for debate.   ;)

** For example and for illustration purposes only - It might transpire that Jürgen really rates Moreno and/or Migs. He believes they are his best options and by default; in picking them, Jürgen truly believes he is doing what's right for the team. I do not believe he is picking them because he wants the team to fail.

I trust all managers in that respect... what about you Billy; do you, hand on heart, believe that Hodgson actually picked his teams in the hope that they would be beaten to harm Liverpool?

Could it be that he just overestimated his own abilities; that his belief in himself was misplaced [delusional]?  :confused-smiley-013:

« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2016 08:57:05 am by bad boy bubby »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #26833: Jul 30, 2016 09:28:28 am
      Maybe he sees Milner as the answer at LB? Stick Henderson down for RB and we might not have solved our defensive problems but our midfield looks a lot better :)

:D

Classic Saint that!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #26834: Jul 30, 2016 01:02:05 pm
      :laugh:

Nah mate... read it again: I said I trusted them all to do what they  believe is best for Liverpool Billy. Whether their best is good enough or their belief in themselves is unfounded is a whole different matter and open for debate.   ;)

** For example and for illustration purposes only - It might transpire that Jürgen really rates Moreno and/or Migs. He believes they are his best options and by default; in picking them, Jürgen truly believes he is doing what's right for the team. I do not believe he is picking them because he wants the team to fail.

I trust all managers in that respect... what about you Billy; do you, hand on heart, believe that Hodgson actually picked his teams in the hope that they would be beaten to harm Liverpool?

Could it be that he just overestimated his own abilities; that his belief in himself was misplaced [delusional]?  :confused-smiley-013:

Fairy muff mate, when you put it like that it's clearer, and yep I suppose Woy didn't want us to lose either, but he was delusional imho , I do agree that any side he has managed he'd have done so in the belief he was doing the right thing in his mind, the same could apply to any manager at any club I suppose, at the end of the day tho, you or I having never been in or are ever likely to be in such a stressful environment will ever fully understand exactly what goes through ones mind when under such pressures,
      We can only surmise how things should be or hope it to be the right thing at the time.

YNWA

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #26835: Jul 30, 2016 01:17:34 pm
      I do agree that any side he has managed he'd have done so in the belief he was doing the right thing in his mind, the same could apply to any manager at any club I suppose
      Exactly.

None of our managers set out to get poor results.

We can doubt and debate many things - transfers; team formation and selection but (in my opinion) we shouldn't doubt that they are doing what they believe is right. 

I think the trick (if you can call it that) is not to paint oneself into a corner by demanding from others what you don't give yourself - for e.g. "It's not okay for you to question Jürgen's transfers but it will be and always has been, perfectly acceptable for me to question his selection of player X, Y or Z":-\

I digress... back on topic - I won't be sweating on anymore arrivals; even if we sell more players. If Benteke is sold for £32m say, that would bring this season's sales total to more than the £75m Brendan, reportedly, got for Luis... nevermind all that sponsorship we read about all the F***ing time or the enhanced T.V. money.

In the absence of those huge sums being spent on players I hope it's used to help make the experience, for ordinary matchday fans, a bit less expensive.
      « Last Edit: Jul 30, 2016 01:37:14 pm by bad boy bubby »
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #26836: Jul 30, 2016 01:42:16 pm
      As a said before our first line of business in the transfer window should have been a LB. Then Keeper

There are some real decent left Backs out there that would not back the bank, yet anyone of these would offer more stability in the back line than Moreno… Here are a few. Include some you tube video (not that it mean jack)

Christian Ansakdi (29 Argentinean) Zenit St. Petersburg

This tough tackling fullback continues to fly under the radar because he plays in Russia. The versatile defender can play on either flank, but has the discipline, timing and balance of a central defender with the attacking prowess of a wing-back.
      He has tremendous acceleration and speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8mXhMf8h9w

Yuto Nagatomo (29 Japanese) Inter Milan

He can play on either flank as part of a four-man back line, on either side of the midfield, and even on the wings of a three-man line.
      The Inter man has incredible stamina, unbelievable pace, and tremendous positioning.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXF9I7wayyA

Domenico Criscito (29 Italian) Zenit St. Petersburg

Zenit's left back is one of the more underrated defenders in Europe. Unfortunately, he missed out on a chance to play in this summer's Euros which would surely have helped his reputation abroad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pVcd589a8E

Jefferson Montero (26 Ecuadorian) Swansea
      LB/RB/LW Has pace speed and can tackle. And Premier League proven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy7k4wWDkyQ
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #26837: Jul 30, 2016 03:30:30 pm
      As a said before our first line of business in the transfer window should have been a LB. Then Keeper

There are some real decent left Backs out there that would not back the bank, yet anyone of these would offer more stability in the back line than Moreno… Here are a few. Include some you tube video (not that it mean jack)

Are you serious? Might want to switch off your console mate.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #26838: Jul 30, 2016 05:14:08 pm

This tough tackling fullback continues to fly under the radar because he plays in Russia. The versatile defender can play on either flank, but has the discipline, timing and balance of a central defender with the attacking prowess of a wing-back.
      He has tremendous acceleration and speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8mXhMf8h9w

He can play on either flank as part of a four-man back line, on either side of the midfield, and even on the wings of a three-man line.
      The Inter man has incredible stamina, unbelievable pace, and tremendous positioning.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXF9I7wayyA

Zenit's left back is one of the more underrated defenders in Europe. Unfortunately, he missed out on a chance to play in this summer's Euros which would surely have helped his reputation abroad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pVcd589a8E

LB/RB/LW Has pace speed and can tackle. And Premier League proven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy7k4wWDkyQ

All average.

Jonas Hector is the only left back we should be looking at.

Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,693 posts | 892 
      Reply #26839: Jul 30, 2016 05:19:55 pm
      Are you serious? Might want to switch off your console mate.

Why? There are some good suggestions there. At least he is doing something rather then criticizing other people, which is a easy thing to do.

Why don't you want us to sign them to replace Moreno? Have you seen any of them play in a live game?
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #26840: Jul 30, 2016 07:02:10 pm
      Why? There are some good suggestions there. At least he is doing something rather then criticizing other people, which is a easy thing to do.

Why don't you want us to sign them to replace Moreno? Have you seen any of them play in a live game?

The top 3 are all very good players. Criscito is especially good, I think. Despite OP saying they wouldn't cost the world, they would command a high transfer fee and very high wages.  Also, all three are 29. The modern fullback is possibly the most physically demanding position. You don't see many fullbacks in the modern game maintain high standards over 30. Would be lucky to get 3 good seasons out of them. Probably get two, if they could adapt quickly

So are they worth it? If we had Man City or Chelsea money then sure, they'd be worth it for a season or two. But we don't. It'd be a huge investment, and also, if we're being fair, if they were up for sale they'd probably all end up either at CL clubs or at clubs willing to pay the sort of ridiculous money which is why two of them play in Russia rather than in one of the big 3 or 4 leagues.

Last option I don't consider an upgrade. Moreno's criticism has gone completely OTT, largely because he got blamed for Sevilla loss.

Since when is posting on a fan board considered doing something?

It's only easy to criticize bad ideas...

Quick Reply