Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 494466 times
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #115: Jan 06, 2013 11:41:17 pm
      He was a bit inconsistent. But him, Suarez and Sterling are gonna cause mayhem after seeing some of what he can do, even if he's still coming back to fitness. Looking forward to our match against the manure. =]

Glad he's opened his account! Keep it up!

Oh, did anybody else think he was taller?? I looked for his height in the internet and it said 1.88m. During the game he looked about Shelvey's height, maybe shorter.

1.88M is tall, so I'm not sure what your point is. Sturridge is the same height as me.
      luciano-lfc
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #116: Jan 07, 2013 12:24:25 am
      1.88M is tall, so I'm not sure what your point is. Sturridge is the same height as me.

My point was that he looked shorter than 1.88 in the game. I should have written it like this:
      I looked for his height in the internet and it said 1.88m. But during the game he looked about Shelvey's height, maybe shorter.

I just went to the offal, and it says 1.83m there, the same as Shelvey. I'd say that's about right, looking at that gif of his celebration above.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #117: Jan 07, 2013 12:35:29 am
      My point was that he looked shorter than 1.88 in the game. I should have written it like this:
      I looked for his height in the internet and it said 1.88m. But during the game he looked about Shelvey's height, maybe shorter.

I just went to the offal, and it says 1.83m there, the same as Shelvey. I'd say that's about right, looking at that gif of his celebration above.

I follow you now.  :gt-happyup:
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #118: Jan 07, 2013 12:37:45 am
      Nice to get off the mark with his first goal on his debut.

TBH I won't mind seeing that celebration if it means he is scoring :)
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #119: Jan 07, 2013 12:49:16 am
      Money well spent i think , it was his first time playing with the team and didn't make many mistakes . Just imagine how good he'll be when he's fully aware of the players around him . I have a good feeling about him and i don't often get it .
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #120: Jan 07, 2013 01:18:43 am
      I'll be honest and after 10 minutes I was like 'I love him!', then after his awful miss I was like 'Oh God, I've to get used to this now, I hate him!'.

Overall good shift for his first game and getting used to the players. Seemed to have a good symmetry with Shelvey. Have they played together before for the U21's?
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #121: Jan 07, 2013 04:05:33 am
      Very promising - well taken goal (with his weaker foot?).  Always good to get a goal in your first game, takes the pressure off.  Thought he did very well considering he has not played for some time and never played with us at all.  Movement wise we could soon have a front three that are very difficult to play against.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #122: Jan 07, 2013 04:22:44 am
      Was well pleased with Sturridge today, glad he got his goal. Finally we have a lad with pace!

He should have scored that second chance I thought, he tried to be too fancy but thankfully he has got it out of his system and next time he's one on one so close to the keeper he won't make the same mistake twice... hopefully
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,682 posts | 3702 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #123: Jan 07, 2013 09:20:45 am
      Was well pleased with Sturridge today, glad he got his goal. Finally we have a lad with pace!

He should have scored that second chance I thought, he tried to be too fancy but thankfully he has got it out of his system and next time he's one on one so close to the keeper he won't make the same mistake twice... hopefully
      No, he own't because Brendan will see the replay and analyse it and then he will give Daniel some instructions.

I believe that Sturridge is better when he act instinctively rather thinking what to do.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6365 
      Reply #124: Jan 07, 2013 04:02:51 pm
      Didn't see the match but just watched a video of his highlights. From that it appeared he had some good movement and some good passes, made some good dribbles as well. My personal opinion is once he's up to match fitness and gets some time to get used to his teammates tendencies he's going to be immense for us but time will tell. Glad to have him here.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #125: Jan 07, 2013 09:22:58 pm
      Nice to get off the mark with his first goal on his debut.

TBH I won't mind seeing that celebration if it means he is scoring :)

Same for me. He can do what he likes if he's scoring regularly.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #126: Jan 08, 2013 12:14:50 am
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #127: Jan 08, 2013 05:43:15 am

He has moves H2H, in fact after 15 minutes of play I said to myself that behind Luis the only other player that is tricky like that would be this fella; all that and he's no where close to being fit.

Suarez, Sturidge....with either Borinin/Sterling in the front 3 will simply terrorize defenders.

This might be a terrific foil to Luis.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #128: Jan 08, 2013 08:40:01 am
      Just watching the match again.  You know what I notice about Sturridge.  Every team he got knocked down, he bounced back up right away.  None of this rolling around on the floor, no moaning, no slow getting up with a frown.  Even on his goal.  He got knocked on his backside, popped right back up, and was off on another run.  Fantastic.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #129: Jan 08, 2013 02:25:21 pm
      Very much looking forward o seeing a fully fit and in form Sturridge play for us. I really think he can have an instant impact in our season. He might not be a world beater but it doesn't take a world beater to improve our current attacking options. Gonna be interesting to see who gets dropped to accommodate him, especially with Borini coming back soon. Hopefully Downing.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #130: Jan 08, 2013 03:49:22 pm
      Liverpool: There's no bigger club in Premier League - Sturridge
      Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge says there is no bigger club than Liverpool in the Premier League, ahead of Sunday's game against Manchester United.

The 23-year-old striker signed for the Reds on 2 January from Chelsea and has also played for current champions Manchester City.

"It is the biggest club I have ever played for," Sturridge told Liverpool's official website. 

"In the Premier League, there is no bigger club than Liverpool."

Liverpool and United are the two most decorated clubs in the top flight.

In terms of league titles, United have 19 compared to Liverpool's 18, while the Merseysiders have five European Cup wins to the Old Trafford side's three.

Sturridge scored on his Liverpool debut as his new side beat Mansfield in the FA Cup and is grateful to Reds boss Brendan Rodgers for signing him.

"I thank the boss for giving me an opportunity to play for a club like this and I thank God for making it possible," added Sturridge.

"For the manager to pay money for me and to have faith in me and show everybody around the world that he is prepared to take a chance on me, I don't think I'll ever be able to repay him for that.

"As a young player, when you play for big clubs you can sometimes get caught up in it and you never get another opportunity to play for another big club.

"So I'm grateful the manager has given me this chance and that he believes in me. I'm just glad to be here."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20948372
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #131: Jan 08, 2013 04:28:00 pm
      Ok, Daniel. Ease up buddy.

Appreciate the sentiment but let's not go crazy.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #132: Jan 08, 2013 06:58:58 pm
      United fans are in a fury over these comments - well played Danny boy. ;)

Think the BBC comments section on this article might be about to catch fire!
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #133: Jan 08, 2013 07:02:18 pm
      United fans are in a fury over these comments - well played Danny boy. ;)

Think the BBC comments section on this article might be about to catch fire!

:laugh:

There's no might about it.  :f_whistle:
      StrikingMidfield
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #134: Jan 08, 2013 09:14:18 pm
      Just watching the match again.  You know what I notice about Sturridge.  Every team he got knocked down, he bounced back up right away.  None of this rolling around on the floor, no moaning, no slow getting up with a frown.  Even on his goal.  He got knocked on his backside, popped right back up, and was off on another run.  Fantastic.
      Noticed the same thing, refreshing thing to see.

Also I'm sure Chelsea fans love seeing this. Actually I've looked at a few forums for other Premier League sides, seems this article hasn't earned him many friends  :lmao:

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/i-m-at-the-biggest-club-in-england
      « Last Edit: Jan 09, 2013 01:06:15 pm by JD »
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #135: Jan 09, 2013 03:05:56 am
      "It is the biggest club I have ever played for," Sturridge told Liverpool's official website.

can't argue with that..

"In the Premier League, there is no bigger club than Liverpool."

Pretty spot on there...

"I thank the boss for giving me an opportunity to play for a club like this and I thank God for making it possible," added Sturridge.

Ahh well now you've opened a can of worms! :P
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #136: Jan 09, 2013 03:31:00 pm
      Plenty of people making the case for him to start on Sunday and I understand and see why. Personally I don't think he's ready and he gives us a great threat coming off the bench when there's tied legs out there. The main issue surrounding him however is if he (and ultimately when he does) start the match who goes wide him or Suarez?

The general consensus is that Luis is banging in the goals from the central position and that we shouldn't mess with that. And I am inclined to agree with that. But I think there is an argument to be made for Daniel. He's not exactly a small lad is he? And he has some strength to him. All season we've seen a lot of aimless crosses go into the box and go over everyone's head or be easily cleared by a defender. Could Sturridge be the man that gets on the end of them and takes the chances we are creating?

I'm not saying that because the lad looks like he could stick his head on a ball we should throw him up top... that's just Deja Vu. But as well as having the ability to get onto them crosses he also plays off the shoulder of the defenders and has pace to burn.

The ideal situation for me would be an interchanging front 3 when Borini is back. The back four won't know who to pick up and will fall into a very rigid shape, something I think our 3 would relish playing against. However when Sturridge is out wide something else I'd like to see from him is a few darting runs to the post when the crosses are going in. He'll get ample opportunities to score if he does and even if it doesn't come off for him, it's another player in the box on the attack for us. Something else we've been criminally lacking at times.

Not trying to pigeon hole him as our "big man" up top. Just an aspect of his game I didn't think about when he signed.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #137: Jan 13, 2013 03:41:14 pm
      Looks like a promising player. Finally Suarez had some one to share the burden of scoring and attacking.

Quick Reply