Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 498214 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #1380: Jul 12, 2014 06:53:44 pm
      Seriously, Sturridge has completely flown under the radar for like a year-and-a-half now. One of the best strikers in the league and people seem to have forgotten that he was the second-leading goalscorer in the league last season, all the while coping with injuries. If we can keep him fit for a whole season, we're looking at 40 goals in all competitions. He's that good.

Agree. The variety of goals he scores is immense as well. A wonderful player and person to have at the club.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #1381: Jul 12, 2014 08:01:11 pm
      I think the thing he was missing was confidence and that was because Luis always stole the headlines but this kid is the most natural finisher I have seen since God himself wore the shirt.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1382: Jul 12, 2014 09:09:46 pm
      Seriously, Sturridge has completely flown under the radar for like a year-and-a-half now. One of the best strikers in the league and people seem to have forgotten that he was the second-leading goalscorer in the league last season, all the while coping with injuries. If we can keep him fit for a whole season, we're looking at 40 goals in all competitions. He's that good.

Totally agree mate.  He's so underrated by so many people which I quite like really.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #1383: Jul 13, 2014 01:18:30 am
      He's a 20+goal scorer and he has a chance this season coming to show exactly whats on offer now he's other half is gone . I think he'll be more clinical and will relish the challenge in front of him .
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #1384: Jul 17, 2014 09:21:17 pm
      This guy is the man, he's amazing.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1385: Jul 17, 2014 10:22:05 pm
      They were just showing all of his goals since he has been here on lfctv.

Conclusion?

We have a world class striker.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1386: Jul 18, 2014 06:50:40 am
      He's a 20+goal scorer and he has a chance this season coming to show exactly whats on offer now he's other half is gone . I think he'll be more clinical and will relish the challenge in front of him .

I hope so mate, my only worry is that without the distraction of Suarez, defenders will be able to concentrate a little more on Danny.  To be fair he seemed to score easily enough before when Suarez was missing but I think a lot will depend on whether he has a strike partner or not (and who it is !)   
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1387: Jul 24, 2014 04:42:24 am
      He did a 5 minute interview after the game for NBC, never really had a chance to listen to him outside of post-match, MOM interviews.

He comes off to me as a well spoken, intelligent, caring and genuinely nice fella who is very very happy playing for Liverpool Football Club
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #1388: Jul 24, 2014 03:34:22 pm
      He did a 5 minute interview after the game for NBC, never really had a chance to listen to him outside of post-match, MOM interviews.

He comes off to me as a well spoken, intelligent, caring and genuinely nice fella who is very very happy playing for Liverpool Football Club

Any links to that..?
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #1389: Jul 24, 2014 03:35:44 pm
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #1390: Jul 25, 2014 12:02:58 pm

Under who's radar may I ask?

From what I remember, he was never short of being praised for his incredible performances here at LFC. I think he's gone under the radar since Luis left, but once the new season starts we'll be raving on about him like we always have
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1391: Jul 25, 2014 05:05:44 pm
      Under who's radar may I ask?

From what I remember, he was never short of being praised for his incredible performances here at LFC. I think he's gone under the radar since Luis left, but once the new season starts we'll be raving on about him like we always have

You had people like federer looking to replace him in the starting XI, for example. (nothing against fed, btw)

And just generally speaking, if you look at more neutral media and such, all the talk was always about Suarez's individual brilliance. Sturridge only got mentioned as part of SAS despite the fact that he was putting up better numbers than Aguero.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,130 posts | 455 
      Reply #1392: Jul 26, 2014 04:58:22 am
      The only thing that worries me about Sturridge is his injury record. Now that Suarez has gone.  Some of the new signing may give me confidence but until they settle we really need to hope Sturridge doesn't get injured.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #1393: Jul 26, 2014 09:36:32 am
      The only thing that worries me about Sturridge is his injury record. Now that Suarez has gone.  Some of the new signing may give me confidence but until they settle we really need to hope Sturridge doesn't get injured.

This is why it's important to buy a top top forward. He doesn't have to be a striker like Luis was, but he needs to be good enough to make a significant impact. Someone like Marco Reus (said no one ever) could do a decent job. He'd be a first XI player but if Danny were to get injured we'd still have that threat in attack. If we were not to get Reus, instead we'd be relying too much on the likes of Sterling, Remy, Markovic to do the attacking work in front of goal which I feel may be too big an ask.

If Sturridge gets injured, which he will, then we'd need someone else equally if not better than he to take over from there. Marco Reus is the man.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,827 posts | 2457 
      Reply #1394: Jul 26, 2014 10:50:13 am
      http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/daniel-sturridge-jordan-henderson-work-3916461

Danny and Jordan working two jobs times are tough working under FSG   :P
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1395: Jul 28, 2014 06:22:50 pm
      My slight worry with Sturridge from yesterday, is that the elevation to being the "main man" may end up bringing to the fore some of the less desirable sides to his football character. There was never a question him  getting above his station last season, and if the two up top thing didn't actually work there was never going to be a debate about who was going to miss out. Perhaps because of that Danny was excellent all season, and the so called bad attitude which some idiots like me alluded to pre signing never surfaced. In short he was brilliant, and had it not been for Suarez's remarkable goals tally he would have been widely recognised as such. Yesterday though I noticed an even more single minded approach when he had an opportunity, sometimes even a reluctance to close down with gusto or to make runs to open up space for others. My guess is before the season is old Brendan will be having proper words with him about it. His attitude remains the only barrier to him becoming one of the best strikers in Europe.   
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1396: Jul 28, 2014 06:29:00 pm
      My slight worry with Sturridge from yesterday, is that the elevation to being the "main man" may end up bringing to the fore some of the less desirable sides to his football character. There was never a question him  getting above his station last season, and if the two up top thing didn't actually work there was never going to be a debate about who was going to miss out. Perhaps because of that Danny was excellent all season, and the so called bad attitude which some idiots like me alluded to pre signing never surfaced. In short he was brilliant, and had it not been for Suarez's remarkable goals tally he would have been widely recognised as such. Yesterday though I noticed an even more single minded approach when he had an opportunity, sometimes even a reluctance to close down with gusto or to make runs to open up space for others. My guess is before the season is old Brendan will be having proper words with him about it. His attitude remains the only barrier to him becoming one of the best strikers in Europe.   

This is why i feel we need another striker in to help him. He is not the type of player to close down every loose ball as Suarez was and he isn't going to be able to be always on the move like Suarez, therefore we need a player who can help contribute such attributes. Another striker who can ease the workload off him as i don't feel Sturridge will be as prolific as a lone striker.
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #1397: Jul 31, 2014 02:52:15 am
      I think he should have just broke into the dance after he blew that penalty into the stands.  ;D
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      Reply #1398: Aug 01, 2014 12:59:46 pm
      I am most likely being stupid and hope that i am wrong, but i worry for Sturridge already. Pre mature it may be, from what i have seen in pre-season is that he is trying to do everything himself and not including others in his play and it's not working.

I don't want him to play as if he has a chip on his shoulder, his a confidence player and at the moment his confidence off the field seems sky high but on the field not so much. For him to be a prolific striker he needs to be on the move and passing with his team mates, last season he needed Suarez there was no doubt, Suarez helped take the weight of his shoulders as did he for Suarez. But with that weight being put souley back on him i am not sure he will perform as well.

I guess what i am trying to say is for him to flourish again, he needs to trust Sterling, Coutinho, Markovic etc to make the right runs and passes to allow pressure of him as Suarez allowed, that way he won't be trying the impossible by himself running into a brick wall.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1399: Aug 01, 2014 01:11:55 pm
      I am most likely being stupid and hope that i am wrong, but i worry for Sturridge already. Pre mature it may be, from what i have seen in pre-season is that he is trying to do everything himself and not including others in his play and it's not working.

I don't want him to play as if he has a chip on his shoulder, his a confidence player and at the moment his confidence off the field seems sky high but on the field not so much. For him to be a prolific striker he needs to be on the move and passing with his team mates, last season he needed Suarez there was no doubt, Suarez helped take the weight of his shoulders as did he for Suarez. But with that weight being put souley back on him i am not sure he will perform as well.

I guess what i am trying to say is for him to flourish again, he needs to trust Sterling, Coutinho, Markovic etc to make the right runs and passes to allow pressure of him as Suarez allowed, that way he won't be trying the impossible by himself running into a brick wall.

We started last season without Suarez and Sturridge stepped up.
      Helped that we kept three clean sheets. It's not all about scoring goals.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      Reply #1400: Aug 01, 2014 01:16:02 pm
      We started last season without Suarez and Sturridge stepped up.
      Helped that we kept three clean sheets. It's not all about scoring goals.

He stepped up indeed, i was as happy as anyone when he did. But he knew he had to make that impact and he relished the chance of being the main man ahead of Suarez while he was out but once Suarez was back it showed and Sturridge went onto play even better.

I am just not sure knowing that Suarez isn't coming will have the same impact on Sturridge as his ban did because he got so used to Suarez doing all the hard work to allow space for Sturridge's runs and goals. Defenders will be a lot more focused on Sturridge than ever before in his Liverpool career and i feel he won't be able to handle it up top on his own.

I hope i am wrong, i just feel he will be stronger with a player alongside him or two players either side of him up top.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1401: Aug 01, 2014 01:21:54 pm
      He stepped up indeed, i was as happy as anyone when he did. But he knew he had to make that impact and he relished the chance of being the main man ahead of Suarez while he was out but once Suarez was back it showed and Sturridge went onto play even better.

I am just not sure knowing that Suarez isn't coming will have the same impact on Sturridge as his ban did because he got so used to Suarez doing all the hard work to allow space for Sturridge's runs and goals. Defenders will be a lot more focused on Sturridge than ever before in his Liverpool career and i feel he won't be able to handle it up top on his own.

I hope i am wrong, i just feel he will be stronger with a player alongside him or two players either side of him up top.

It's really just the difference between playing with 1 up top instead of 2.
      We played a 4-4-2 diamond last season, with the best strikeforce in the league.
      Half of that is gone. We need to replace it, or change our system.
      So far our signings have indicated a change of system.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      Reply #1402: Aug 01, 2014 01:25:03 pm
      It's really just the difference between playing with 1 up top instead of 2.
      We played a 4-4-2 diamond last season, with the best strikeforce in the league.
      Half of that is gone. We need to replace it, or change our system.
      So far our signings have indicated a change of system.

And you reckon Sturridge will be up for the change in system?

I personally feel Sterling could go on to outshine him this season in an attacking sense.

Quick Reply