Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 493555 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #3565: Oct 01, 2016 12:03:53 pm
      3 years ago he was matching Suarez goal for goal, 3 years later he's on the bench in Wales. Where did it go wrong?

Injuries mate.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,866 posts | 165 
      Reply #3566: Oct 01, 2016 03:30:17 pm
      Still seems a yard short and trying to be fancy instead of the simple pass, Origi looked more threatening.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #3567: Oct 02, 2016 12:19:10 am
      I know he wasn't great today, but it's worth mentioning that we played better as a team while he was on the pitch than we did before he came on.  We were-1 before he came on, and +2 with him on.  Make of that whatever you want ;)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #3568: Oct 02, 2016 12:48:22 am
      I know he wasn't great today, but it's worth mentioning that we played better as a team while he was on the pitch than we did before he came on.  We were-1 before he came on, and +2 with him on.  Make of that whatever you want ;)

Just playing devils advocate you can't say that had Danny not come on we would not have bettered the 2-1 score line?

harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #3569: Oct 02, 2016 01:05:12 am
      Just playing devils advocate you can't say that had Danny not come on we would not have bettered the 2-1 score line?

That's just speculation.  The facts are -1 without, and +2 with ;)

In all seriousness, it is too small a sample to draw any conclusions from.  Just thought it was worth mentioning :)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #3570: Oct 02, 2016 01:08:56 am
      That's just speculation.  The facts are -1 without, and +2 with ;)

In all seriousness, it is too small a sample to draw any conclusions from.  Just thought it was worth mentioning :)

In which case could also mention that Daniels lack of chemistry with the forward line meant we were a lot less fluid and hence effective.

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,532 posts | 3903 
      Reply #3571: Oct 02, 2016 11:12:29 am
      In which case could also mention that Daniels lack of chemistry with the forward line meant we were a lot less fluid and hence effective.

I thought his movement was excellent yesterday. He found himself in loads of goalscoring positions and never received the pass.

We are better with him in the team.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,472 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #3572: Oct 04, 2016 06:58:17 am
      He doesn't have an attitude problem, he has a severe case of RBF aka Resting bi*ch Face.

:D
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #3573: Oct 04, 2016 07:53:01 am

Spot on Shabs,I get the feeling that this could be his last season with us and that is sad for a player who has so much talent.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #3574: Oct 04, 2016 10:16:52 am
      Spot on Shabs,I get the feeling that this could be his last season with us and that is sad for a player who has so much talent.

thing is he's actually been fit for the majority of Klopp's reign and at no point can you say he looked like a fit in his style of play, I can barely think of a 90 mins he looked at it...maybe Vilareal home leg but you're scratching the barrel. Ultimatelty if he's not giving what Klopp is looking for then time to go (ideally to the continent) - I think Origi and Ings are better fits than Danny just now which is a shame as he is a real talent
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #3575: Oct 04, 2016 07:57:09 pm
      thing is he's actually been fit for the majority of Klopp's reign and at no point can you say he looked like a fit in his style of play, I can barely think of a 90 mins he looked at it...maybe Vilareal home leg but you're scratching the barrel. Ultimatelty if he's not giving what Klopp is looking for then time to go (ideally to the continent) - I think Origi and Ings are better fits than Danny just now which is a shame as he is a real talent

Agree mate. 

A player I think Klopp would love is Diego Costa.  I personally can't stand the f**ker, but I think he'd take to Klopp's tactical plan like a duck to water....
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,479 posts | 231 
      Reply #3576: Oct 07, 2016 06:50:40 pm
      Agree mate. 

A player I think Klopp would love is Diego Costa.  I personally can't stand the f**ker, but I think he'd take to Klopp's tactical plan like a duck to water....

There's is an even better player. Some guy called Luis Suarez

Scottbot

• 9,592 posts | 2153 
      Reply #3577: Oct 07, 2016 09:55:33 pm

I noticed that they dropped off once Danny came on, I don't know if it was a conscious that no but Swansea had played a very high line and did to us what we do to others in that opening 35 mins. I got the impression that having Studge and Mane to worry about saw them drop a bit deeper and suddenly had that bit of time and space to play. Studge hasn't been on top form but I'm certain a goal or two will straighten him out. Either way you can't knock the competition for places it's great to see.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #3578: Oct 08, 2016 04:08:27 am
      There's is an even better player. Some guy called Luis Suarez

What i was thinking! If ever there was a perfect fit it'd be Luis coming back home.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #3579: Oct 08, 2016 09:25:11 am
      What i was thinking! If ever there was a perfect fit it'd be Luis coming back home.

I read in the week Barca want him on a new deal by the end of the year to take him up to Neymars salary :-(
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3580: Oct 08, 2016 04:17:47 pm
      Starting for England tonight, fill your boots lad.

Sorry Clint  ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #3581: Oct 08, 2016 04:47:48 pm
      I read in the week Barca want him on a new deal by the end of the year to take him up to Neymars salary :-(

There's still hope he rejects it and we swoop in!

Maybe? No? Ok... :(
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,532 posts | 3903 
      Reply #3582: Oct 08, 2016 05:31:07 pm
      Get him back in the first 11, amazing goal!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #3583: Oct 16, 2016 08:00:37 pm

Watching Daniel Sturridge perform his critically panned one-man show against Slovenia on Tuesday, it was impossible not to picture his increasingly exasperated England team-mates as Alan Partridge in the car park. Dan! Dan! Dan! Over here! Look! I’m unmarked! Dan! Give me the ball! Dan! Don’t shoot! Dan! Stop trying to dribble past four defenders! Pass it! Pass it here! I’m in a much better position than you! Dan! Dan?

Maybe Sturridge had a point, his selfishness a way of passing comment on his fellow attackers. Dele Alli managed one neat nutmeg but little of any significance. Jesse Lingard, ever the polite guest, endeared himself to the locals by giving Jan Oblak some catching practice with his crosses. It was Theo Walcott who was unable to find his way back to the pitch after one impressively pacy run down a dead-end too many. Andros Townsend came on and had a slightly dangerous shot from long range before disappearing from view and there was an encouraging cameo from promising young whippersnapper Wayne Rooney, who looked like one for the future.

In that context picking out Sturridge seems unfair. Yet for all that it was a night of collective ineptitude, he still managed to stand apart, out on his own, a brilliantly gifted footballer but an individualist who cannot help but undermine himself with his apparent refusal to accept it is a team game.
      A tragic aroma hangs over him as he looks increasingly lost and alone and sad on the pitch.

Ryan Giggs, a pundit on the game for ITV, did not hold back when asked for his assessment. Recalling he played alongside him for Great Britain at London 2012, Giggs praised Sturridge’s touch, speed and awareness, saying he possesses all the necessary attributes to become a top player.

Everything, that is, apart from the ability to make the right decision in the final third.

Fair though it is to wonder if Sturridge’s history of injury problems has delayed the maturation process, those with his best interests at heart must hope Giggs’s observations hit a nerve with a footballer who can no longer be spoken of in terms of potential. Sturridge is 27, supposedly approaching his peak.

Quick, inventive and capable of making it seem as though the ball is glued to his left foot, he is a forward with the enviable skill of surprising goalkeepers by shooting early with no backlift, as Sevilla discovered with that outrageous stabbed finish in the Europa League final.

Sturridge also scored Liverpool’s decisive goal in the Europa League semi-final win over Villarreal, whose defenders were unable to contain him at Anfield in May.
      Resist the urge to write him off as another example of an overhyped and underskilled English player.
      Not only is it a cliche, it ignores reality.
      Sturridge can play. He has scored a goal against Italy at a World Cup. He provided a rare moment of English quality in France with that snappy winner against Wales. Alongside Luis Suárez, he almost took Liverpool to the title in 2014. Roy Hodgson may have given us Harry Kane, corner-taker extraordinaire, but he was right when he said Sturridge is England’s most naturally talented striker.

It is not enough in a serious team and unlikely to be enough for Jürgen Klopp without concerted improvement, just as Roberto Di Matteo deemed there was no place for Sturridge in the Chelsea side who ground their way to the Champions League in 2012.

There is a temptation to depict Sturridge’s tunnel-vision affliction as all that is wrong with English footballers and their struggle to think coherently on the international stage. Something happens to them when they put on that shirt. Eric Dier does not play blind passes for Tottenham Hotspur. Walcott has been one of Arsenal’s best players this season. Jordan Henderson has been assured for Liverpool.

These are players rated respectively by Mauricio Pochettino, Arsène Wenger and Klopp, all of which boosts the theory that if Jeremy Paxman had been forced to wear an England shirt during his Newsnight pomp, he would have been reduced to asking politicians about their favourite crisp flavour. Lounging around at Casa St James, Sam Allardyce must have raised a pint of wine to the Daily Telegraph’s entrapment team, grateful the responsibility for eradicating this mental block belongs to Gareth Southgate now.

But Sturridge’s slump goes deeper than England’s loss of composure in pressure moments.
      Too often, this is how it is for club and country, and there are times when we are watching a player who is yet to realise he is crying out for help.

The infamous Sturridge scowl, unveiled when Klopp brought on Divock Origi before him against Tottenham in August, suggests he has not understood why this is happening, why his mooching brand of Sturridgeball (one man’s quest to turn a football match into a 90-minute appreciation of Daniel Sturridge’s genius) is so incompatible with Liverpool’s pressing, scurrying, interchangeable front three.

There have admittedly been pleasing signs of progress, hints Klopp may be getting through to Sturridge, whose lovely backheeled assist to set up Sadio Mané against Leicester City last month was a step in the right direction. Yet his overindulgence against Slovenia heightened the impression of a player craving attention from his manager, like a precocious child trying to impress his bored teacher by reciting the alphabet backwards after being asked to name a vowel.

In the same way we are programmed to find that child the most annoying thing in the world, Sturridge needs to stop overcomplicating everything, let it flow naturally and remember no one likes a ball hog.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/oct/14/daniel-sturridge-liverpool-england-tunnel-vision
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3584: Oct 16, 2016 08:39:57 pm
      Giggs has some cheek questioning Sturridge in the final third when that pathetic excuse of a footballer (Jessica Lingard) plays for his old club.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,505 posts | 709 
      Reply #3585: Oct 17, 2016 09:32:37 pm
      He just needs a run of games. He's been in and out of both teams.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #3586: Oct 17, 2016 11:02:33 pm
      Confirmed Firmino is our No1 striker.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #3587: Oct 18, 2016 12:27:51 am
      Sturridge was very poor today, and while he hasn't been neither great nor bad, I do think that Ings and Origi could potentially offer a lot more considering they seem more suited to the pressing game of Klopp.

We really need 11 players to perform to win against big sides and unfortunately Sturridge, and particularly Can, were not at the races today, causing an imbalance to the team.

With a fully fit Wijnaldum and Lallana, I really think we would have nicked this game.

Quick Reply