Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 494992 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #3910: Jan 17, 2017 06:59:21 am
      We've got to trust what the manager sees in training day in, day out.

For me, although the two are totally different players, this is the Benteke situation all over again.

He just doesn't fit in with what Klopp wants his forwards to do.

I'll be very surprised if he is still a Liverpool player come the start of next season.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,241 posts | 2817 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #3911: Jan 17, 2017 09:42:27 am
      Do we want someone who can press all day or someone who knows how to finish chances off? I know what id go for
      Kopite78
      Reply #3912: Jan 17, 2017 09:55:56 am
      Do we want someone who can press all day or someone who knows how to finish chances off? I know what id go for

I'll be honest Brian I really like Sturridge but what you say it'd not as simple as that, it's how any certain manager sees their team playing

I don't think with Klopp it's as simple as just Firmino presses and Sturridge doesn't,  I genuinely think he believes that Firmino has a better touch, is more intelligent in his movement, has more awareness of what's going on around him in terms of his teammates

If it was on finishing I don't think there would be a question mark but I don't think it is

I think he thinks that when Firmino, Mane and Coutinho are the front three they work and compliment each other perfectly

Firmino I think thinks of the team first whereas Daniel (as a poacher and natural goalscorer) thinks of himself first

Also and I think this is key to it, Klopp likes to get his players on the training pitch, he talks of how many training sessions they have and thats not just simple fitness it's working through step by step by step on the system and the approach and since he's been here Daniel just hasn't got on the training pitch enough to work work work.. if he had I believe Sturridge is a smart enough footballer to do what Firmino does, but he misses a lot of sessions and because of that Bobby is ahead of him in Klopp's mind.
      I don't think Klopp is the type to work all week and then drop a player into the 11 who hasn't trained as much. Say, Bobby you've been great in training,  you get what we want and are working to but you're on the bench and and bringing this lad in who hasn't worked on the shape and approach all week

I'm sure though Firmino has been involved (goals or assists) in more goals than anyone else in the squad in the last calendar year?  That was right until recent weeks I'm sure. Shouldn't really have changed with Mane only being here since August and Phil's injury

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3913: Jan 17, 2017 10:01:31 am

This is the crux I think Brian, without the press we wouldn't be creating, nor scoring so many goals and we'd also be leaving ourselves exposed in defense.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3914: Jan 17, 2017 10:28:54 am

Given the choice I'd take someone who presses. Even if Bobby never scored again he still gives more to the team than Sturridge and lets also realise that Daniel has hardly been prolific in the last few appearances he's had. If Daniel was in top top form then I completely agree about sending him on for the last 10-20 minutes but he isn't and I'd guess he isn't in training either, hence why Klopp doesn't deploy him. One thing is for sure, if we had a Costa or Suarez type player we would be setting all kinds of scoring records, but I still have faith that Bobby will get his mojo back and start slotting in the goals.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #3915: Jan 17, 2017 10:40:13 am

It's because of our high pressing game that Manc's had to resort to long ball tactics, we suffocated them..

I'd take a player that can press & cause problems for the opponents defence to create chances for our midfielders to chip on with the goals..
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #3916: Jan 17, 2017 10:50:58 am
      I'll be honest Brian I really like Sturridge but what you say it'd not as simple as that, it's how any certain manager sees their team playing

I don't think with Klopp it's as simple as just Firmino presses and Sturridge doesn't,  I genuinely think he believes that Firmino has a better touch, is more intelligent in his movement, has more awareness of what's going on around him in terms of his teammates

If it was on finishing I don't think there would be a question mark but I don't think it is

I think he thinks that when Firmino, Mane and Coutinho are the front three they work and compliment each other perfectly

Firmino I think thinks of the team first whereas Daniel (as a poacher and natural goalscorer) thinks of himself first

Also and I think this is key to it, Klopp likes to get his players on the training pitch, he talks of how many training sessions they have and thats not just simple fitness it's working through step by step by step on the system and the approach and since he's been here Daniel just hasn't got on the training pitch enough to work work work.. if he had I believe Sturridge is a smart enough footballer to do what Firmino does, but he misses a lot of sessions and because of that Bobby is ahead of him in Klopp's mind.
      I don't think Klopp is the type to work all week and then drop a player into the 11 who hasn't trained as much. Say, Bobby you've been great in training,  you get what we want and are working to but you're on the bench and and bringing this lad in who hasn't worked on the shape and approach all week

I'm sure though Firmino has been involved (goals or assists) in more goals than anyone else in the squad in the last calendar year?  That was right until recent weeks I'm sure. Shouldn't really have changed with Mane only being here since August and Phil's injury

All correct mate.

I'd also add the thing that people seem to not give Bobby credit for enough and that is that he creates a boat load of chances with his play, something that Sturridge does for himself but rarely for others.

Now fair play to Payet that's truly incredible but when you add up everything else that Firmino brings to the side then that is outstanding. It's fair to say that his goal return has dropped quite badly, not helped of course by switching out to the left. Now if we were arguing which player would score more goals in the side I doubt you'd find anyone suggesting Bobby would out score Studge but on balance I don't think it's even close who brings more to the side in this current system.

One thing I would say is that I think a Firmino / Sturridge partnership up top would work well, even in a 5-3-1-1 they'd work well together but in a 4-3-3 then Firmino is simply the better answer. If you wish to try to get someone into the side like Origi then I don't think you get nearly enough out of Sturridge to ever consider him from the sides, he's central or nowhere in my book.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,241 posts | 2817 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #3917: Jan 17, 2017 01:12:33 pm
      Lads and lady, I fully respect and appreciate your comments. I love the pressing game but can we really afford to say lets leave out a top class finisher because he's not great at pressing?

If the other 9 players are great at pressing is that not enough? If Sturrdge was on the pitch on Sunday and got the ball where Firmino and Gini got it aren't we celebrating 3 points? And isn't that the point of the game, win? Add the fact that with utd chasing the game wouldn't it have been better for us to have an outlet like Sturridge to worry there back 4?

Goals win games and hes by far and away our best finisher. Id forgive the lack of pressing for finishing
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #3918: Jan 17, 2017 01:23:20 pm
      It's because of our high pressing game that Manc's had to resort to long ball tactics, we suffocated them..

I'd take a player that can press & cause problems for the opponents defence to create chances for our midfielders to chip on with the goals..

So we have no answer to the long ball?
      The simplest tactic when the opposition has run out of ideas.

Our goalie is voted overwhelmingly MOTM.
      You must have to remove the blindfold at some point.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3919: Jan 17, 2017 01:32:24 pm
      Lads and lady, I fully respect and appreciate your comments. I love the pressing game but can we really afford to say lets leave out a top class finisher because he's not great at pressing?

If the other 9 players are great at pressing is that not enough? If Sturrdge was on the pitch on Sunday and got the ball where Firmino and Gini got it aren't we celebrating 3 points? And isn't that the point of the game, win? Add the fact that with utd chasing the game wouldn't it have been better for us to have an outlet like Sturridge to worry there back 4?

Goals win games and hes by far and away our best finisher. Id forgive the lack of pressing for finishing

I agree mate if we had the same Sturridge of 2013/14 but we don't and the "if" in the bolded bit is part of the problem with him now. 

How many times, when he has played this season, has he got himself into those positions?  How many times have you seen him playing on the shoulder of defenders ready for a through ball?  How many times has he given up chasing a through ball, or not even tried because he hasn't got that pace any more?

He's a great striker, no doubt about it, he's been one of our best in terms of goals per minutes played but for whatever reason he's not the player he was and he stops us playing to our best when he's on the pitch.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #3920: Jan 17, 2017 01:45:07 pm
      I don't know why Sturridge can't play WITH  Firmino in as well. I don't think it has to be one or the other. Didn't Origi start the other night with Firmino? So give Sturridge a chance with him for a full game (or most of it). Origi presses well most of the game, but he's no where near the finisher Danny is.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #3921: Jan 17, 2017 01:59:12 pm
      I agree mate if we had the same Sturridge of 2013/14 but we don't and the "if" in the bolded bit is part of the problem with him now. 

How many times, when he has played this season, has he got himself into those positions?  How many times have you seen him playing on the shoulder of defenders ready for a through ball?  How many times has he given up chasing a through ball, or not even tried because he hasn't got that pace any more?

He's a great striker, no doubt about it, he's been one of our best in terms of goals per minutes played but for whatever reason he's not the player he was and he stops us playing to our best when he's on the pitch.

100% spot on Debs.

Bobby takes the criticism for missing the chance but it was hardly a gimme and the run in behind Cou was sublime. Of course the pass was also exquisite but the run often makes the pass and it's why in many ways we look so much better with Bobby in the middle as oppose to our other options. Origi doesn't have intelligent movement yet, he can learn it and he certainly runs the channels but intricate openings are much fewer when he's around than they are with Bobby. Sturridge's movement this season has been more in terms of dropping deeper and that again is a hint towards how much he's lost his pace.

Stick Sturridge in the position of Bobby and I don't think he scores either, it would be on his right foot and it is against the best keeper in the league. I think he's much more likely to have scored the chances that fell to Wijnaldum and I believe Bobby or Cou, even Lallana would have slotted those chances away.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,547 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3922: Jan 17, 2017 08:42:43 pm
      Bobby takes the criticism for missing the chance but it was hardly a gimme and the run in behind Cou was sublime.

Stick Sturridge in the position of Bobby and I don't think he scores either, it would be on his right foot and it is against the best keeper in the league.

There's two side to this, no doubt.

But Firmino's finishing/chance taking has been poor recently, can't recall last goal. It wasn't a gimme, but it was another poor effort from a scoring opportunity.

And w.r.t. trickery and guile in and around the box, I don't think there's much between the two lads, maybe Studge shades that too.

And who knows what Studge would've done in that position.  One thing can say though - I know WHO I'd have wanted in that position trying to score that one.

But,  I guess this is where someone comes back and says 'right, but look at the overall contribution,  and without the pressing, we wouldn't have had the chance in first place' ... :)
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #3923: Jan 18, 2017 12:28:32 am
      Pace is not everything; Sturridge out of all our forward players has the best movement and striker's instinct in our team. Yes, he doesn't battle and is clearly physically soft in that department, and probably lacks the stamina and willingness to hastle defenders - these are the only attributes Bobby has over Sturridge. And it's clear Klopp prefers him for these reasons alone.

Players like Fowler (another player who wasn't blessed with blistering pace), Owen, and Rush even would often play on the periphery of a game, sometimes you wouldn't even notice they were playing until they literally popped up from nowhere in a game to score an important goal. That's what prolific strikers can do, and Sturridge is in this ilk of natural born finishers - his record is testament of that. We don't have anybody in the team who has this instinctive trait and using Sturridge in a game like Sunday can be the difference getting you 1 point or 3.

I've resigned myself to the fact he's surplus to requirements here due to the way he's been used and that for me isn't a ringing endorsement on Jürgen, who has arguably one of the best strikers in the league and cannot get more out of him, or use him to better effect. It's in fact, a F***ing tragedy that he's being wasted.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #3924: Jan 18, 2017 12:39:06 am
      getting rid of him now or in the summer would be silly - unless we clearly get someone top draw (which is very unlikely) we would simply strengthening another team whist selling our best finisher.

Origi simply doesnt have the required quality and other than Firmino we dont have any clear others.

we just have to try and fit him in and realise that he will be missing through injury for more time than some others
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,148 posts | 258 
      Reply #3925: Jan 18, 2017 02:54:42 pm
      IMO, Sturridge lacks in training with his teammates mainly due to his almost always injury is the biggest obstruction of him to play to his potential.
      We all know Klopp's system built on the 'work as a unit' throughout the team so it's no surprise Sturridge lacks of understanding with teammates make Klopp reluctant to put him straight into the team.
      And definitely sometimes Sturridge refuse to sprint to the through ball (for whatever the reason) don't help as that could frustrate teammates who work hard to create such a chances, and of course frustrate Klopp.

Training and game time with his teammates is vital to Sturridge's future at Liverpool, problem is I don't see he will get it if look back at his injury record.     
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3926: Jan 21, 2017 03:56:56 pm
      Find another club lad.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3927: Jan 21, 2017 11:51:16 pm
      Honestly can't remember him touching the ball.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,547 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3928: Jan 25, 2017 10:27:15 pm
      Had two decent chances, neither easy, but would have hoped he'd do better with them.
      Problem for him is that he's under pressure to score every time he comes back in, so much is expected, people want him to take his chance when he gets it - but when you're short of match fitness and sharpness, it's not so straightforward.
      At least Klopp gave him a full match, will see if he sticks with him as a starter in more upcoming games..
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #3929: Jan 25, 2017 10:37:19 pm
      Be amazed if he starts next season with us.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #3930: Jan 25, 2017 10:40:52 pm
      Be amazed if he starts next season with us.

Don't think he'll be here mate and don't think we'll get anywhere near the fancy numbers we might have in the summer gone when so many were saying it was a stupid idea to let him go.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #3931: Jan 25, 2017 10:50:55 pm
      Don't think he'll be here mate and don't think we'll get anywhere near the fancy numbers we might have in the summer gone when so many were saying it was a stupid idea to let him go.

He ain't going to any top club either playing as he has been.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #3932: Jan 25, 2017 10:53:12 pm
      He ain't going to any top club either playing as he has been.

Spot on Si. Injuries have finally caught up with him and it's a shame because if this lad didn't get the injuries he's had he could have been phenomenal. Also sad thing is I still think he could play well, he just needs to realise that he doesn't have to be selfish because the passes he can hit when he stops thinking of himself are sublime.

I doubt we'll see him change that side of his game though because for Studge it's a little too much about Studge and in truth probably always has been. (In his defence that is a trait of a lot of top strikers)

Quick Reply