Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 494619 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #2461: Nov 28, 2015 06:44:10 am
      Sturridge's agent is in a tricky spot. He can hardly storm into Jurgens office and demand a retraction otherwise his client won't play for us anymore can he?

He is not playing for us now Mick and has not done so for quite a while. The sad part is we are stuck with Sturridge even if he does not play and in the meantime he is well paid.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,147 posts | 257 
      Reply #2462: Nov 28, 2015 08:03:01 am
      Anyone please call this man

Seriously, I really hope Sturridge take Klopp's word seriously and start to resurrect his career. Ability side he's too good talent to dismiss but I too believe his mentality need a correction, and if he not proof himself to do so I think Klopp will not waste with him anymore.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,209 posts | 1213 
      Reply #2463: Nov 28, 2015 08:43:05 am
      Remember Rafa saying something similar about Agger and some said he was calling him a pussy haha

I think it's difficult to judge because you aren't the one injured ultimately but I think it's always worth asking how much you can push it, especially with all the painkillers they must have available to them.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2464: Nov 28, 2015 08:58:29 am
      Just added to my previous post from yesterday  about real men like Gerry Byrne who played 87 minutes of the 1965 Cup Final for the Reds with a broken collar bone.

Or Bert Trautmann who played the 56 Final for City with a broken neck.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #2465: Nov 28, 2015 09:57:54 am
      Just added to my previous post from yesterday  about real men like Gerry Byrne who played 87 minutes of the 1965 Cup Final for the Reds with a broken collar bone.

Or Bert Trautmann who played the 56 Final for City with a broken neck.

The younger lads on this forum will read your post Skip and put it down to exaggeration or vagueness of memory, one cretin from Oz would have you believe everyone over 60 is senile and not worth the attention, irrespective the likes of Studge can a turn a foot in training and declare themselves unfit ''for precautionary measures''.

Some players are committed to the cause and will fight for the club with every last breathe in their body, the ''precautionary measures'' crew are not included. 

Put up Studge or F**k off.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3404 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2466: Nov 28, 2015 10:17:31 am
      He can't storm into Jürgen's office and do sh*t, the lad's earning big money for doing nothing. His agent should be kissing the club's arse.

if he tried to storm into his office he would probably stub his toe and be out for six months
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2467: Nov 28, 2015 10:28:54 am
      Of course it's a massive downer for the Club and Daniel that he seems unable to overcome these recent injuries and in a way I can understand why some feel now that he's just not worth keeping if he's rarely available. 

If he was a just a squad player that only played as cover then it's logical to consider selling him/giving him away to whoever would take him but he isn't a bit part player when he's fit, he's a regular starter, a 20 to 30 goals a season striker and bordering on world class.  The type of player we've been crying out for and one that would cost us too much money to buy.

He may well never recover and maybe at some stage he will decide for himself, like his Uncle before him, that his playing days at this or any level are over and early retirement from the game is his only option but until that time arrives he's still a Liverpool player and one that we all hope will help us to win plenty of trophies in the future.

Like Jürgen has said, it takes time to fully recover from and regain the same fitness levels after such a long layoff and niggles are bound to happen along the way.  Patience is required from the Club and the fans to see if he ever does before flushing such a talent down the lav.

The comparisons to players from the 50s, 60s, 70s etc playing with broken bones and other such stuff are a bit silly as those players, despite being heroes and winning everything also only cost pennies and were therefore easier to throw away and replace when totally broken.  Modern day players may seem fragile but they are also multi million pound assets that can't and shouldn't be discarded as they won't ever be replaceable, unless the Club has a bottomless pit of money, which we don't.

I'm happy to wait it out, we aren't desperate for him to be playing and by being patient to allow him time to fully recover he might well lift the Premier League Trophy just like Van Persie did  ;D
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #2468: Nov 28, 2015 10:55:49 am
      I'm happy to wait it out, we aren't desperate for him to be playing and by being patient to allow him time to fully recover he might well lift the Premier League Trophy just like Van Persie did

With a man utd shirt on? :)

Good post Debs, I agree he should be given time, he is just too good to be moved on without doing everything possible (including showing patience ) to save his career with us.

The problem is deciding when enough is enough and he should be moved on... but I don't think we have reached that point just yet.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2469: Nov 28, 2015 11:04:51 am
      With a man utd shirt on? :)

Good post Debs, I agree he should be given time, he is just too good to be moved on without doing everything possible (including showing patience ) to save his career with us.

The problem is deciding when enough is enough and he should be moved on... but I don't think we have reached that point just yet.

I suppose the decision, if it's ever made, will be between the medics, the Manager and the player mate.  We've had a few over the years, Rob Jones springs to mind and although not our player at the time Neil Mellor is another.  The players aren't so daft that if the medics ever do say enough is enough, I'm sure Daniel will heed their advice and I think we're a fair way off that time too.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2470: Nov 28, 2015 11:55:24 am
      Couldn't the boss just pick and start him anyway?  :-\

If it's just pain and not serious pain of course - just saying like.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,147 posts | 257 
      Reply #2471: Nov 28, 2015 12:45:21 pm
      Couldn't the boss just pick and start him anyway?  :-\

If it's just pain and not serious pain of course - just saying like.
      IMO if Sturridge persist he's not ready I think no one will force him to play.

I remember read somewhere Rafa angry about club medical team lie him about Torres's injury so force him to play when he still not recover well enough resulting destroy his career. If it's true then I'm surprised Torres never complain and keep playing while Sturridge keep do the completely opposite.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2472: Nov 28, 2015 12:57:42 pm
      R I P  Gerry Byrne.

Yes. Its in the right thread.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2473: Nov 28, 2015 02:02:45 pm
      Unless I see a player on crutches they are not really injured!! :-) In all seriousness the Sturridge saga is getting very tedious now, lets get him fit, wrap him in cotton wool and sell him to the highest bidder.

We might sell him for medical research but not as a footballer
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2474: Nov 28, 2015 03:21:33 pm
      If I understand right this foot knock is very minor... if he's unavailable tomorrow it's going to send a massive message that he isn't determined. I'm wondering how much different this is from city's tevez saga where they didn't pay him because of contract breach.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #2475: Nov 28, 2015 04:46:58 pm
      R I P  Gerry Byrne.

Yes. Its in the right thread.

Correct mate it is the anniversary of his passing, RIP Gerry Byrne.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #2476: Nov 28, 2015 07:38:45 pm
      Waste of money. Was only prepared to play through pain when Suarez was around.

Anyone not committed to the cause needs to leave ASAP and we should start with DS. Get rid.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2477: Nov 28, 2015 07:59:48 pm
      If Sturridge is not looking at the premier league table realising a win tomorrow could put us 6 points off top and he's not chomping at the bit to play, then he has no right to wear the Liverpool Shirt.
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #2478: Nov 28, 2015 09:47:06 pm
      I actually love that this has come to light about Sturridge and his never ending injury saga.
      I don't even groan anymore when I hear of his latest setback, I fully expect it. I'm sure it may be painful but he's got to battle through it because we are in a really good position to climb the table. Should we string a few wins in a row, it'll build such good momentum to even possibly challenge for the title in the second half of the season.

He will not be able to pull the wool over the no-nonsense approach of Klopp and his medicos. There must be credence to all of this if the gaffer has doubts.

This all reminds me of the famous 'sicknotes', Redknapp, Anderton, Kewell and Van Persie.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #2479: Nov 29, 2015 04:25:25 am
      "you have to learn what is serious pain and what is pain"

I think Klopp was actually talking to all of you guys and not Sturridge. :D serious pain is not Sturridge's setbacks or not having Henderson available, that is only pain and we should not even glorify it yet for some reason people keep talking about Sturridge. I know it's a hot topic in the media which most Liverpool fans still lap up but I wish people actually listened to our manager for once, as in listen to his words and live by them, instead of acknowledging how brilliant he is but then going about your normal routine. He begged us to stop thinking about and going on about the injured players and putting them on pedestals and just focusing on what's important which is who is playing for Liverpool right now. all the excuse business comes from the Rodgers era of lowering expectations. I loved how Klopp treated our Captain Henderson as just another player, even said he was a bit too enthusiastic and implied he should just chill because he is important and his time is coming... Sturridge is important but not so important that people have to get angry about him and make stupid ultimatums from their armchairs like "if he isn't on the bench this weekend, sell" ;D we should all just calm down and start enjoying football and stop thinking about all the sh*t outside the football. Just like Klopp said when he first got here. we don't even NEED Sturridge right now but people are so brainwashed by all the articles about him, because it's a selling topic, that they're getting mad just thinking about the lad! this is the most unhealthy attitude and it will only lead to everyone universally turning on the guy just for having injury problems which were probably caused by our own f**king regime. you as 'supporters' aren't even giving him the time Klopp said he wants players to have in training, that's how impatient (brainwashed!) people are!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2480: Nov 29, 2015 10:09:21 am
      Sturridge is important but not so important that people have to get angry about him and make stupid ultimatums from their armchairs like "if he isn't on the bench this weekend, sell"
      Great point, well made but it'll fall on deaf ears.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #2481: Nov 29, 2015 11:27:05 am
      Apparently this latest injury came about after a shooting session in training and he was complaining of pain after this session. For me it would have to be get some tougher boots son and suck it up. If you cant kick a ball go play Rugby or something. This has got to be a mental thing with him. Go see a syke or something son and get over it.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2482: Nov 29, 2015 11:47:45 am
      "you have to learn what is serious pain and what is pain"

I think Klopp was actually talking to all of you guys and not Sturridge. :D serious pain is not Sturridge's setbacks or not having Henderson available, that is only pain and we should not even glorify it yet for some reason people keep talking about Sturridge. I know it's a hot topic in the media which most Liverpool fans still lap up but I wish people actually listened to our manager for once, as in listen to his words and live by them, instead of acknowledging how brilliant he is but then going about your normal routine. He begged us to stop thinking about and going on about the injured players and putting them on pedestals and just focusing on what's important which is who is playing for Liverpool right now. all the excuse business comes from the Rodgers era of lowering expectations. I loved how Klopp treated our Captain Henderson as just another player, even said he was a bit too enthusiastic and implied he should just chill because he is important and his time is coming... Sturridge is important but not so important that people have to get angry about him and make stupid ultimatums from their armchairs like "if he isn't on the bench this weekend, sell" ;D we should all just calm down and start enjoying football and stop thinking about all the sh*t outside the football. Just like Klopp said when he first got here. we don't even NEED Sturridge right now but people are so brainwashed by all the articles about him, because it's a selling topic, that they're getting mad just thinking about the lad! this is the most unhealthy attitude and it will only lead to everyone universally turning on the guy just for having injury problems which were probably caused by our own f**king regime. you as 'supporters' aren't even giving him the time Klopp said he wants players to have in training, that's how impatient (brainwashed!) people are!
      I respect that you have a unique way of looking at the situation, but I personally believe Klopp meant that Sturridge needs to toughen up if he is to continue at Liverpool. It's a fair warning to be honest,  it's debatable if it is right to be made public but considering the fans frustration with the player then maybe he's made the right choice. I think you're trying to view this from another angle to clear Sturridge from the attention but it's awfully philosophical in an area that only needs simplicity.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,040 posts | 336 
      Reply #2483: Nov 29, 2015 12:59:41 pm
      We all want to see Sturridge back and firing, but the fact is none of us has a clue about the lad's injury, it's effect or how it might restrict him.

Klopp's words are being interpreted differently by different people, they're completely non-committal, and no-one really knows what he's thinking either.

A lot of this seems to stem from the anecdote in Stevie G's book about him persuading Daniel to play when the lad was reluctant.  So now we're experts on the lad's character (or lack of)?

Comparisons with Gerry Byrne (in spite of his heroic efforts in '65) seem irrelevant - different sort of injury (he could still run, pass, cross, shoot albeit in pain), different era (no subs, small squads, players not the massive financial assets they are now), different levels of athleticicsm expected, end of the season, none of the current focus on performance levels.

Also, if you were Klopp, would you risk picking your top striker against his wishes when he has a foot injury in a Prem game against Swansea at this point in the season, when Benteke is firing and Firmino's just helped destroy CFC and MCFC?  I wouldn't.

The only person who knows whether D Sturridge is fit and capable of playing to the standard he needs to at any point in time is D.Sturridge.  Even the medical staff will be basing a huge degree of their decision-making on what D Sturridge tells them about how he feels.

Maybe the lad does have a genuine concern about coming back when not fully fit.  I would have, too, given what he's been through.

This is the kid whose goals helped take us to the brink of the title 18 months ago.  Get him back when he's good and ready and he might just do it again.
      Some of us on here have short memories.

Quick Reply