Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Steve McManaman: How good was he?

Read 9667 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Steve McManaman: How good was he?
      Jan 26, 2013 03:16:17 pm
      If Steve McManaman had not have left the club on a bosman, which is to this day unforgiveable to a lot of reds, how highly would he be regarded in our all time list?

Any list you can find in relation to our best players will not contain his name. Surely down to the reason stated above. If that had not happenned, or if it had been forgiven, would McManaman go down as one of greats and would he be listed in the same bracket as say Stevie for example?

Lets be honest the boy was a magician. Only Giggs could possibily claim to match him as the nest winger of the 90s. He chipped in with more then his share of goals. He won us the league cup ata time we needed something to stabalise us.

Hewas thrown in at the deepend under Souness to a team full of players either past it or not good enough to be there and to be far he carried it well, Barnesy suffered a lot of injureis at that time and Macca stepped in and done a good job covering him.

Picture him in Rafa's team or imagine having him there now in place of Downing.for example!

His ability to dribble by people was second to nonehis stamina was frightening. Top top player for me and no shame on my behalf saying hes easily one of the best ive ever seen in red.

But how highly do you rate him?
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Steve McManaman: How good was he?
      Reply #1: Jan 26, 2013 04:47:48 pm
      Without doubt, one of our all time greats. The only reason he's not considered a legend is, as you say, due to the manner in which he left. We could definitely use a player of his skill right about now. If he'd played in Rafa's team, we may well have won the league under him. He was always short on a player of Macca's ability in that position.
      Salavaria
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 381 posts | 41 
      Reply #2: Jan 26, 2013 05:08:47 pm
      I was a big fan of his. Scored some belters, including a first time volley over Seaman against the Arse and a breathtaking, last gasp solo goal away at Celtic in the first leg of the UEFA Cup QF in 98, which in effect put us in the semi.

Steve McManaman Solo Goal
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #3: Jan 26, 2013 05:19:18 pm
      It wasn't solely down to the leaving, it was the year before he left as well when he couldn't be arsed putting in the effort for the club and that's unforgivable from any Liverpool player.

Growing up in the 90s, he was one of the best players we had and was outstanding on a number of occasions. The reason why I don't think he's ever considered to be one of the best is because he was a winger and therefore the competition he's up against is Peter Thompson, Stevie Heighway, Barnes, Callaghan, Case. And for all of Macca's talent, he wasn't on a par with those I've just mentioned.

A great player on his day but for the final twelve months of his Liverpool career, he didn't have too many days to look back on with much joy and that's why he isn't on a par with the five names I listed. Even in their final years, they were still performing to an exceptional standard - Macca didn't because he knew he was F***ing off.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #4: Jan 26, 2013 05:22:52 pm
      During his time at Anfield he was really at the top of his game of that there is no dispute.
      Some off field issues led to his reputation being soiled but in his day Steve McManaman was a force to be reckoned with
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #5: Jan 26, 2013 06:00:24 pm
      I was a big fan of his. Scored some belters, including a first time volley over Seaman against the Arse and a breathtaking, last gasp solo goal away at Celtic in the first leg of the UEFA Cup QF in 98, which in effect put us in the semi.

Steve McManaman Solo Goal

If Rooney scored a goal like that now, people would never stop singing his praises.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #6: Jan 26, 2013 06:32:45 pm
      One of the most direct players I've ever seen, Macca would have a go at running at anyone who he came up against he was that confident in his own ability.

I rated him very highly in his day and he was probably the most influential player at the club at the time, just about everything good we done went through Macca.

If he hadn't left in the manner he did he'd be revered as highly as Fowler without doubt in my opinion.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #7: Jan 26, 2013 06:34:09 pm
      He scored that sublime volley against the bar codes too.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #8: Jan 26, 2013 06:43:09 pm
      It wasn't solely down to the leaving, it was the year before he left as well when he couldn't be arsed putting in the effort for the club and that's unforgivable from any Liverpool player.

Growing up in the 90s, he was one of the best players we had and was outstanding on a number of occasions. The reason why I don't think he's ever considered to be one of the best is because he was a winger and therefore the competition he's up against is Peter Thompson, Stevie Heighway, Barnes, Callaghan, Case. And for all of Macca's talent, he wasn't on a par with those I've just mentioned.

A great player on his day but for the final twelve months of his Liverpool career, he didn't have too many days to look back on with much joy and that's why he isn't on a par with the five names I listed. Even in their final years, they were still performing to an exceptional standard - Macca didn't because he knew he was f**king off.

Agree completely especially the opening paragraph.

He knew what he was going to do and he did much of the skiving as he didn't want to get injured.
      He wouldn't even think of going near 50/50s

Thing was .. it became a habit.
      I watched him in Spain when he played for Madrid.

Yes he can claim he scored a few crackers but he may as well have been walking round the pitch with a ciggie in his hand.
      He was shameful , he was lazy , he was disgraceful and embarrassing as a Brit.

He would still sit on his boat down at Puerto Banus and give a load of bullshit to Marca and all the other Spanish media.
      The Spice-Boy bit just went to his head....and his Spanish .....was Scouse Spanglish !
      Compared to one of my heros in the Madrid team  ..... Roberto Carlos ....... McManaman was sh*te.

This and his last year at Anfield overshadowed anything he did before and quite frankly I cant stand him as a pundit.

Give me God anyday. At least he has humility.... and Robbie wasn't originally a BlueNose.

Like Owen. Macca could have been a club legend . He wont be. Never.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #9: Jan 26, 2013 06:50:29 pm
       I totally agree with the sentiments expressed by DLS and eurored,good honest assessments.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10: Jan 26, 2013 07:27:55 pm
      Could have been a great but sullied his name by the manner in which he left.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #11: Jan 27, 2013 11:32:18 am
      Being a Liverpudlian, the way he left the club was unforgiveable, for me he sums up all that is bad about the game. Player power, wages, F**k everyone else.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #12: Jan 27, 2013 11:39:30 am
      Could have, would have ,and  should have ,but never will after his last season antics, great when the going was good but went missing too many times,plus like DLS pointed out if we have to compare him to Digger then there really is no contest.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #13: Jan 27, 2013 11:40:26 am
      He did what everyone nowadays is doing looking after number 1.

But back to the thread technically he was Yesterdays Ronaldo
      fhands123
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 350 posts | 11 
      Reply #14: Jan 27, 2013 11:51:19 am
      He was sick, shame he left really. But at the time who can blame him? His injuries really held him back a bit I think, didn't they?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #15: Jan 27, 2013 12:32:31 pm
      I thought Steve McManaman was an absolute joy to watch and the type of player that somebody who didn't really like football would take notice of.

Was one of a kind but unfortunately he was a greedy little b***ard aswell. He seems to have developed that Cilla Black type scouse accent aswell.

Still the best of friends with Robbie so he's probably alright as a person but tainted his place in Liverpool Football Club folklore with that last season and with the way in which he fu**ed us over with his move.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #16: Jan 27, 2013 01:04:12 pm
      Loving it lads pure honesty coming out.

I reckon had he stayed here for his career or had not done a bosman the way he did he would possibly only come behind Barnsey and the great Ian Callaghan as our finest winger and quite possibily on our top 10 all time list.

Plain to see his bib is well and truly dirtied akin to Souness and Keegan
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #17: Jan 27, 2013 01:10:59 pm

I reckon had he stayed here for his career or had not done a bosman the way he did he would possibly only come behind Barnsey and the great Ian Callaghan as our finest winger and quite possibily on our top 10 all time list.

Good comparison Brian, they all soiled their boots with the supporters.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #18: Jan 27, 2013 02:19:15 pm
      Tallent wise, he was up there with the best, able to turn a game with one mind blowing, weaving dribble.  As an individual he lacked morals. He turned out to be very self centred and a big dissapointment as an ex Red. He will never be held in the same esteem as any of his fellow team mates due to his ultimate betrayal.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #19: Jan 27, 2013 02:31:13 pm

I think he'd be more than that, to be honest. It think he'd be widely considered one of the EPL's all time greats, not simply Liverpool's.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #20: Jan 27, 2013 03:03:57 pm
      As much as I loved the way he played I personally didn't feel the end product was there often enough, and I probably went to all his home games and a good few away, but I seem to be in a minority with that.

He certainly left under a cloud, but he was also pissed off during a winter transfer window when we tried to sell him to Barca(?) and he was never the same after that.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #21: Jan 27, 2013 08:17:49 pm
      Steve Mac was a superb player one of the best wingers we have ever had never mind produced.
      However as said above he was a total fukin spice boy & i for one was made up when he did one (On a Free).

Great player
      tw*t
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #22: Jan 28, 2013 12:27:15 am
      One of the most direct players I've ever seen, Macca would have a go at running at anyone who he came up against he was that confident in his own ability.

I rated him very highly in his day and he was probably the most influential player at the club at the time, just about everything good we done went through Macca.

If he hadn't left in the manner he did he'd be revered as highly as Fowler without doubt in my opinion.

Agreed. Fowler also states that Macca is probably the best he's ever played with too

Quick Reply