Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Steve McManaman: How good was he?

Read 9669 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Steve McManaman: How good was he?
      Reply #23: Jan 28, 2013 08:17:14 pm
      Absolutely awesome, one of the better wingers I've had the pleasure to watch live, still guts me now to think how he left.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #24: Jan 28, 2013 08:54:44 pm
      He was absolute class that's for sure. Shame he was a tw*t and it showed by the way he left the club.

It doesn't help that Barnes is my favourite Liverpool player of all time though! :D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #25: Jan 28, 2013 09:49:47 pm
      Plain to see his bib is well and truly dirtied akin to Souness and Keegan

I wouldn't say they are in the same bracket as McManaman even if Keegan did get a bit of stick from the fans during his final season.

Both those men still gave us their all during their final year. Souness, captaining us to the European Cup in 84 and Keegan scoring 20 goals before he moved onto Hamburg in 77. Their reputations among Liverpool fans have been "dirtied" for other reasons - Keegan for constantly putting Liverpool down at every given opportunity since he returned to England and Souness simply for his managerial reign at Anfield.

Plus both Keegan and Souness went for reasonable transfer fees for the time which allowed us to replace them with Dalglish and Molby respectively. McManaman left for F**k all and didn't give us anything towards finding his replacement.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #26: Jan 29, 2013 02:53:43 am
      As some one said before, the Celtic game.
      Excellent and don't he score one similar just before or just after?
      I think he was magical at times and on other occasions he wasn't really in the game.
      Shame about his leaving in the manner he did but regardless one of my favorite players of the 90s and hope others who are younger do some research rather than listen to bitter opinion.
      Lovely player on the ball and scored he fair measure of cracking goals and in big games too.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #27: Jun 11, 2014 12:10:24 am
      Possibly the best contribution at Real Madrid from the English League until maybe Gareth Bale now?
      Gabri
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts | 26 
      Reply #28: Jun 11, 2014 07:46:56 am
      my favorite player back then. I really loved those sprints with the ball...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #29: Jun 11, 2014 12:00:20 pm
      Couldn't finish his dinner! Was never truly sold on him and wouldn't get anywhere near our greatest ever XI. That was proven when Barcelona decided Rivaldo was a better buy!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #30: Jun 11, 2014 12:03:58 pm
      Couldn't finish his dinner! Was never truly sold on him and wouldn't get anywhere near our greatest ever XI. That was proven when Barcelona decided Rivaldo was a better buy!

I agree HR.

I've never really got 'attached' to McMananaman the same as I have for some of our other players and although he was a very good player he is some way short of our very best.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #31: Jun 11, 2014 01:04:36 pm
      I thought he was a superb player and probably the best winger I've actually seen play for the club. The way he left left a bad taste in the mouth though.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #32: Jun 11, 2014 03:04:45 pm
      I don't care how good he was, but the guy was here in the accreditation centre I'm working in during the World Cup but I couldn't see him as I was in a meeting with FIFA :( Gutted about that.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #33: Jun 11, 2014 03:32:02 pm
      Cracking player. The best player I ever saw at transition. The number of 30 to 40 yard runs he used to make in a game was amazing. Couldn't finish (yet scored amazing goals), couldn't cross but was a wonderful passer and made an incredible amount of assists for Robbie when they were both on top of their game.

Like most of the so called spice boys never quite reached the heights he should have, but one of the few players to go on to achieve more with another club after leaving us.

Would have improved almost any Liverpool side, and especially over the last 10 years or so a player who could have taken us to another level.   
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #34: Jun 11, 2014 04:45:35 pm
      What a career he had, what a superb player. Vastly underrated in British circles especially considering what he achieved at Real Madrid.
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #35: Jun 21, 2014 10:19:53 pm
      On the pitch?  a Legend
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #36: Jun 22, 2014 08:42:00 am
      Steve McManaman was part of the reason I started supporting Liverpool. In the era when it was Man Utd or nothing in English football I loved Steve McManaman and Robbie Fowler (McManaman particularly) and was at Parkhead on a cold August night when he ran the length of the field and scored a last minute equaliser in a UEFA cup tie. Supporting Celtic at the time I didn't know whether to be happy or sad but what a goal and what a player
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #37: Jun 22, 2014 03:19:34 pm
      Great player, and had so much ability. But a legend he certainly ain't.

Though it's the whole Spice Boys thing isn't it? That has to be one of the most embarrassing episodes in Liverpool's history. We had young lads from the youth system, and players who were brought into the club, who all suddenly felt they were fashionable and more important than opposition players because they were playing for the great Liverpool FC. Liverpool's glory years as the best team in the world was still recent memory back in the mid 90s, so it's obvious these players all thought they were big time charlies in line with the legends of our league and European winning sides.

I don't think Robbie Fowler was innocent in all of this either - he wasn't the worst offender, but the lack of professionalism by Liverpool players in the 90s was astonishing. If I saw the team now walking out onto the field at a cup final wearing cream suits, I'd make sure they'd all be blood soaked by time I'd finished with them. They had all the tools at their disposal, and they wasted all that potential. If any team summed up the prima donnas and overpaid playboys that the general public connotate with footballers today, then that Liverpool side in the mid 90s epitomised it.

Ironically enough, they couldn't be further opposites from being in a league with the likes of Barnes, Rush, Dalglish, Heighway, St John, Thompson, Hansen, etc.... (I could go on for ever and ever).

I expect every Liverpool player to run through brick walls and shed blood, sweat and tears for the club, just like how all our legends did it. If anything set back Liverpool so far back, it was the majority of those arrogant bell ends that apparently 'represented' this club. Sickening.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #38: Jun 22, 2014 03:27:20 pm
      He did the business but outlived his usefulness, legend? not even a contender and frankly an insult to those that rightfully claim that plaudit.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #39: Jun 22, 2014 03:36:20 pm
      He did the business but outlived his usefulness, legend? not even a contender and frankly an insult to those that rightfully claim that plaudit.

Agree.

Very good player but way off legendary status for me.
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #40: Jun 22, 2014 08:45:18 pm
      Favourite Liverpool player. That goal against Celtic
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #41: Jun 23, 2014 02:36:08 pm
      He was my favorite player when I was young, he is a legend in my eyes for that reason alone though I do understand where most of the people are coming from explaining why they wouldn't put him up there with the greats of the club
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #42: Jun 23, 2014 07:40:01 pm
      He was good but not up there with the greats.
      Great ability and skill but could go missing in games waving play on and pissing about with his hair most of the time.
      Good but not that good .
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #43: Jun 23, 2014 10:10:06 pm
      He was good but not up there with the greats.
      Great ability and skill but could go missing in games waving play on and pissing about with his hair most of the time.
      Good but not that good .

I'm with you, good but not great

fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #44: Jun 24, 2014 01:39:51 pm
      Erm he was great and if we had someone like him now, we'd be sorted.
      He was better than good; he was supremely talented, one of my fave Liverpool players ever.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #45: Jun 24, 2014 01:52:41 pm
      Erm he was great and if we had someone like him now, we'd be sorted.
      He was better than good; he was supremely talented, one of my fave Liverpool players ever.

You never got to see John Barnes in the flesh then! John Barnes was the real deal, sadly imo McManaman wasn't good enough to lace Barnesy's boots.

Sterling's already a better player, has proper pace and a better shot, so I don't know where McManaman would fit into our current team.

Quick Reply