Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 399014 times
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Re: Philippe Coutinho Player Thread
      Reply #1035: Apr 13, 2014 04:22:59 pm
      Some tasty passing, crunching tackles and a very memorable goal, possibly the most vital league goal for almost a quarter of a century.

Stepped up today, joint MOTM for me with Sterling.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1036: Apr 13, 2014 04:30:45 pm
      Have I mentioned I love the lad?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1037: Apr 13, 2014 04:38:44 pm
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #1038: Apr 13, 2014 04:42:49 pm
      Never seen him play at that intensity before, absolutely brilliant.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1039: Apr 13, 2014 04:44:11 pm
      His greatest performance yet in a red shirt. Sublime, tough in the tackle, constantly probing, great goal - 10/10. If he can't go to the World Cup then no one should.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1040: Apr 13, 2014 04:45:37 pm

Been staring at this for five minutes smiling. Brilliant.
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #1041: Apr 13, 2014 04:53:09 pm
      Coutinho is 21

At the same age Zidane was playing for Bordeaux I believe, and Ronaldinho for Paris St Germain both still developing at the time

Coutinho will become an immense player in a few seasons months....

needed to update my earlier prediction ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1042: Apr 13, 2014 06:52:38 pm
      Fantastic today and has always been a favourite of mine.

Joy to watch with and without the ball.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #1043: Apr 13, 2014 08:02:19 pm
      Absolutely loved his work rate and tenacity off the ball today, especially in that first half as it isn't something you associate with Coutinho. If he doesn't got the World Cup then Brazil had better when it because there will be no excuses for not taking this kid.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1044: Apr 13, 2014 08:11:37 pm
      I thought his first half performance was outstanding.Never seen him being so aggressive and his tackling was brilliant.What a player
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1045: Apr 13, 2014 08:43:04 pm
      Great game today and so glad he got his goal, the winning goal too.  Will stand him in good stead for the remaining games that little confidence boost.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1046: Apr 13, 2014 09:32:56 pm
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #1047: Apr 13, 2014 09:53:40 pm
      When he first joined, I didn't know what to expect. Would Philippe be too lightweight? Too timid? Would he have the necessary vision and execution required to feed our (at the time) significantly depleted strike force?

In his first full game (versus Swansea I believe) he showed glimpses of hunger, fight determination and some amazing through balls. But this was clearly just a boy who wanted to impress his new team, right? Wrong. Oh so very wrong.

Coutinho was bought by Internazionale aged 16. He wasn't really given much of a chance until Rafa stepped in and helped develop this young man into the talent we see today. Inter fans were convinced that this guy could be the future of their great club - and with good reason. Their hope turned to despair as the higher ups there decided to sell Cou to us for pittance (in today's market anyway).

So for me to say that he was just aiming to impress his new team is completely wrong. This lad is always aiming to impress. We seen that with his performances towards the back-end of last season when he comprehensively destroyed Newcastle's backline with a single pass on many an occasion. When he threatened to run riot and dismantle any opposition defence that dared stand in our way. Cou also scored our last goal of the 12/13 season with Suarez absent. A daisy cutter from 25 yards out straight into the bottom corner.

Then came 13/14, people saying he would suffer from second-season syndrome. There were doubters, if course, there always would be. But why, I'd ask, would you doubt this young man when his quality is there for all to see? "Goals" , they'd reply, "You rely too much on Suarez and Sturridge. They rely on Coutinho's service. Teams will just mark him out."

Well, you can't really argue with that... except we did. On the pitch. We were top after three games without Suarez, Coutinho was as menacing as ever, and Dan was banging them in for fun. Then Swansea... oh Swansea, what did you do to our little magician? Ashley Williams decides the time is right to try and take him out of service. We draw the game, lacking the influence of our star man throughout the latter part of the game. What would we do without Cou? How would our season end up?

Suddenly a talent that people were so uncertain about upon arrival had turned into an integral part of our team. Now of course, our season didn't end up suffering due to Hendo stepping it up massively, Gerrard playing the right passes and Suarez hitting an incredible purple patch. But we were all looking forward to Cou's return nonetheless.

Except it was underwhelming to have him back. The little magician who once terrorised defences was now looking very laboured, very nervous, very... uninterested. The Coutinho who joined Liverpool did indeed appear to be suffering from second-season syndrome after all. Maybe the pace of this League was too much for him, and eventually caught up?

Nah.

Doomsayers, naysayers, they all stuck their oar in, offered their opinion, one that nobody asked for. Coutinho was finished, Coutinho was finally being marked out, Coutinho wasn't contributing anything.

Then came Arsenal. Torn to shreds. Then Fulham. The same thing. Then Sunderland, Spurs and most recently Man City. All MASSIVE games. All teams with huge amounts to play for. All falling victim to the Coutinho sword.

So people can say as they wish, but it would be unwise to underestimate our little magician, because you will be doing so at your own peril.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1048: Apr 13, 2014 10:25:44 pm
      I predict goals from him now on the run in, at least 4.

Ahem
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1049: Apr 13, 2014 10:41:37 pm

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back Brian ;D
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #1050: Apr 14, 2014 01:16:04 am
      Some tasty passing, crunching tackles and a very memorable goal, possibly the most vital league goal for almost a quarter of a century.

Stepped up today, joint MOTM for me with Sterling.

Couthinho has really stepped up the defensive aspect of his game.  He harassed the City midfielders all game long and it is this development that I believe has put him up with the best in the league now.  He always had the silky skill and the ability to pick a pass, but his game is more well rounded now and he is still only 21!!  He's going to be a superstar in the very near future!!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1051: Apr 14, 2014 02:54:06 am
      Amazing today in every facet of the game. It's sort of getting lost in the drama of the game, but the technique by Coutinho on his goal was superb. Made that look waaaaay easier than it was!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1052: Apr 14, 2014 04:31:33 am
      If only he had stamina to last 90 minutes. Poor lad was buggered after 55 minutes.

Immense. Watching the game again and he was IMMENSE. Really can split him and Raheem for the motm.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,709 posts | 162 
      Reply #1053: Apr 14, 2014 02:01:34 pm
      I thought he was awesome yesterday especially first half. He never let City settle. He reminded me of Masch the way he got stuck in. MOTM for me. Great goal.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1054: Apr 14, 2014 02:02:40 pm
      Brilliant all round display from the little Brazillian.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #1055: Apr 14, 2014 02:36:00 pm
      Really can split him and Raheem for the motm.

I voted for Coutinho based on the work he did on the defensive side of the ball.  Both of them scored beautiful goals, but Coutinho was an absolute menace on the defensive side!!
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #1056: Apr 14, 2014 09:25:26 pm
      Thought he was superb. He played far better than Suarez or Sturridge and in truth, it looked like he handled the occasion far better and just played his game.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1057: Apr 14, 2014 09:29:21 pm
      Was an awesome finish from Cou yesterday. Wasn't afraid to put his foot in and got my vote although I would have voted for him and little Raheem if I could have done.

Quick Reply