Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 399003 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho Player Thread
      Reply #1150: Aug 08, 2014 06:22:12 pm
      I am not entirely sure how we accomodate Coutinho into our squad with the players we have signed. I don't think he has any defensive qualities so he needs to be an attacking midfielder or a winger perhaps we will see..

Sturridge
                        Sterling           Coutinho

Or Coutinho could be played as AM.

Sturridge
                       Sterling        Markovic or Lallana

Coutinho
                         Can             Hendo.

Or perhaps we might see

Sturridge

Sterling           Coutinho        Lallana

Hendo     Can

Manq   Sakho Lovren  Moreno

Mignolet

So we deploy him behind the striker? on the wing or as an attacking midfielder?
      « Last Edit: Aug 08, 2014 06:32:21 pm by Ribapuru »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1151: Aug 08, 2014 06:22:45 pm
      Think Phil is going to be awesome this season.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1152: Aug 08, 2014 06:30:15 pm
      Needs his curly locks back, since he got that new cut his brilliance hasn't been the same.

Hendo forgot about playing with his hair and bang started performing, now Coutinho has to let his curly locks loose :f_tongueincheek:
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #1153: Aug 08, 2014 08:46:28 pm
      We need a clause in his new contract that Real Madrid or Barcelona are to be given a big TWO FINGERS if they come sniffing around, as they inevitably will if Coutinho keeps improving.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1154: Aug 09, 2014 10:42:17 pm
      Coutinho's coming of age.
      Full excerpts from an amazingly insightful and emotional interview of our little magician, on RƔdio Tupi today.

Presenter welcomed Phil Coutinho to the show addressing him as the " little darling of Vasco da Gama" (his former Rio-based club).

Q: Last time you were on this show you were in Milan, you mentioned homesickness...
      Coutinho: Liverpool is home. I like a quiet life.

Presenter interrupts: Not your comrades, then?
      Coutinho: I am no one to comment. I can only speak for myself. Family and Football is all.

Q: Tell me of life at 'home' in Inglaterra (England).
      Coutinho: It's a haven. Fans are kind. I have good friends here. My family is happy.
      Coutinho: My family is tight. We sit together after every game and see my videos, they often notice things I miss - they help me to improve.

Bellos: Speaking of improvement, I see you're not that mild-mannered boy on the pitch anymore?
      Coutinho: I owe thanks to BrendaƵ (Brendan Rodgers) for that.
      Coutinho: After Wigan away, where I didn't stop fighting - Brendan called me to office and told me he's sure I can be a 'volantƩ' or a no. 8.

Bellos (interrupts): But, that isn't your natural game?
      Coutinho: A number 8 role? Why not? I'm only a boy. Brendan showed me I can learn.
      Coutinho: BrendaƵ said before Everton at Anfield, "do you have the fire?" Before Arsenal he told me to not give them peace. I gave no peace.

Bellos: Your build, is it suited?
      Coutinho: It will be. I'm working closely with mi amigo Pedro Philippou (trainer) and (Ryland) Morgans.
      Coutinho: I look at my teammates too. I work with Joe (Allen) sometimes to see how he uses his body to protect the ball. He's amazing at it.

Bellos: What about theory?
      Coutinho: DVDs. BrendaƵ has given me DVDs of Valderrama, Valeron, Rui Costa, Francescoli to study for holidays.

Bellos (laughs): No Brazilian to study on your DVDs roster?
      Coutinho: No. I've been doing that since I was 9. My uncle's VCR was my Bible.

Presenter (interrupts): Exclusion from SeleĆ§Ć£o? How..
      Coutinho: Anger. Not because I'm selfish, but because I could have offered something.

Bellos: What now?
      Coutinho: I'm going to use this anger and push myself to my limits. I saw how Luisito (SuƔrez) was a maniac in training.
      Coutinho: At this point, my body and mind feel like clay. I will mold it the way I envision, and I will use my fire to make them harder.

Coutinho labels the goals 'Luisito' SuƔrez used to pull in traning as "loco" and "tongue-biting". You won't find a better translation, haha!

That's all folks. He is asked to speculate about his position under Dunga and how he sees the SeleĆ§Ć£o moving on. Nothing pertinent.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=780412178675612

I can see him as a Midfield General #10, but not in a deeper role as a #8.

Great interview too!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1155: Aug 10, 2014 12:01:58 am
      Big season for the lad, could be the season he truly flourishes with us.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1156: Aug 10, 2014 02:41:53 pm
      10 year contract.

Ā£100m clause.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #1157: Aug 10, 2014 02:47:07 pm
      Everything come together for the lad today, his passing, his dribbles and best of all his finishing.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1158: Aug 10, 2014 02:51:23 pm
      The clause thing is a very valid point and one which came up last year. Sturridge and Sterling are others who ought to be getting big pay rises and huge buyout clauses before too much longer.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #1159: Aug 10, 2014 04:49:39 pm
      That back Flick pass was out of this world.Seems like him being overlooked for the WC squad has turned the little magician on and has taken his game to the next level.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1160: Aug 10, 2014 05:08:19 pm
      Was incredible, if he continues to build on that performance then the lad will be in for a very good season!
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #1161: Aug 10, 2014 06:08:40 pm
      What a player!!!!
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #1162: Aug 10, 2014 07:08:19 pm
      Beggars belief he didn't even make that Brazil squad doesn't it! All the better for him that he didn't go because the rest of them will carry the scars for life. He has been a cut above the rest throughout this pre-season for me and nosing that we have this lad and Sterling about to blossom as players at the same time is VERY encouraging.

Agree. On the contract and the clause, stick a Foookin huge great big fee on this lad because you can guarantee the big 2 in Spain will be sniffing around by the end of the season.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #1163: Aug 10, 2014 07:13:39 pm
      Brendan mentioned no.10  (CAM) was his favorite position in his post match interview and it really showed.

He was so comfortable on the ball and always looked a threat when on it, think we waste him somewhat on the left hand side and Sterling is better suited for that position.

Could be a real menace for us this season.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #1164: Aug 11, 2014 06:43:25 am
      I'm still in awe of the lad. He is just magical to watch. The partnership he is forming with Sterling looks amazing, if they can continue that into the season it will be "Luis who?" before long.

I genuinely think being overlooked for the World Cup squad is the best thing that could have happened to Coutinho. He had is best season in his career to date last year and still got overlooked. Now he's fit and with a burning sense of injustice to prove everyone wrong. If we can help channel that in a positive way, as we have in pre season, then he will be an animal this year.

I would imagine Brendan will have had a word with him and told him he can step up in Suarez' absence. And if he can improve his finishing (He's 22, he has all the time in the world) then I have no doubt he will.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1165: Aug 11, 2014 08:22:32 am
      Wowfuckingwee. What a sublime player we have on our hands.

Note:  F**k YOU Barca and F**k you Real Madrid. He's ours and I agree with Crouchie. 10 year contract with a buyout clause of 100 million pounds.

When he went off we just didn't look as exciting if I'm being honest.

We deffo need to get Suso and Lallana upto or near Phillipe's output because we looked a bit unimaginative without him on the pitch and we know he ain't going to be able to play every minute of every game this season.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #1166: Aug 11, 2014 11:07:46 am
      I think of Coutinho, the player he is. And also the player I would like him to be.

Ofcourse, much of what he did vs Dortmund was pure wizardry. A joy to much.
      But likewise, one or two of his shots were rather a disappointment.

Some of his wizardry is comparable to pretty much any player in the World. But ofcourse his shooting really holds him back a little at this stage. If he had the shots to match the short/intermed passing and little shuffles, then he could be one of the World's GREAT players.

I wonder if he should bulk up a little over the next yr or two. Its interesting to see how players like Aguero, Shaqiri, Sanchez etc carry a bit of muscle on what are pretty small frames. This could certainly help with his shooting, his pace, and ability to hold the ball.

He also seemed to flourish with two fast players ahead - Sterling and Sturridge. And with 3 physical working midfieders behind -  Gerrard, Caan, Hendo.

When I saw Allen and Cou in the same team, I always felt a little uncomfortable.

To me, its often things like pace, fitness, strength and shooting that separate good players (think Luis Garcia, Smicer, Benayoun) and top, top ones.

It will be interesting to see how he develops.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #1167: Aug 11, 2014 11:51:30 am
      I think he has actually filled out a little over the summer. What I'd like to see is him work on his clinical side in front of goal. He doesn't seem natural when he has the goal to shoot at. Power certainly isn't his issue, but more so rushing the shoot which then appears weak. Same goes for Sterling when he was one on one with that defender. He side footed the shot straight at him. If I was Sterling I'd be looking to knock that ball to the side so that I could prepare a powerful shot across goal or at least look to open my body a little so that I have an extra angle.

Both are only 19 and 22 though. Shooting isn't the easy skill everyone makes it out to be.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1168: Aug 11, 2014 12:18:50 pm
      Dream of a footballer when he's on form.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1169: Aug 11, 2014 12:26:50 pm
      He must practice his passing in his sleep.

I self-pleasured to gifs of his assist for the first goal. It was that good!
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #1170: Aug 11, 2014 02:22:36 pm
      He must practice his passing in his sleep.

I self-pleasured to gifs of his assist for the first goal. It was that good!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Can't decide whether he's a magician or an artist - possibly some perfect combination of both. When he's on his game, he's absolutely brilliant to watch. Unleashed Sterling and Sturridge beautifully countless times.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1171: Aug 11, 2014 02:45:16 pm
      Do you remember how we sold Torres and thought he couldn't be replaced? Then Suarez came in and we ran out of superlatives to praise him. I feel like Coutinho is poised for the same. The guy is a magician. If he added some better finishing to his game..... speechless.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #1172: Aug 11, 2014 04:10:15 pm
      :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Can't decide whether he's a magician or an artist - possibly some perfect combination of both. When he's on his game, he's absolutely brilliant to watch. Unleashed Sterling and Sturridge beautifully countless times.

Those through balls/weighted passes were a F***ing joy to behold, the lad should wear one of those pointy hats with stars on cause he's the nearest thing to a magician in footy boots.

« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2014 09:06:29 pm by stuey »

Quick Reply