Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 401221 times
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho Player Thread
      Reply #1219: Sep 16, 2014 10:23:37 pm
      His form is worrying. We need him to get back on track as we are struggeling without his creativity.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,892 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1220: Sep 16, 2014 10:27:53 pm
      I'd drop him and have this. 

Gerrard

Hendo       Lallana

Sterling

Balotelli   Borini
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1221: Sep 16, 2014 10:40:45 pm
      Really has been shocking so far after his bright pre season can't seem to do the basics at the moment.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1222: Sep 16, 2014 10:51:19 pm
      sh*te, utter sh*te tonight and possibly the worst he has played. Struggled to even complete a simple pass and just constantly got tackled.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,674 posts | 6685 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1223: Sep 17, 2014 12:11:37 am
      Outside the box thinking but.....Could Flanno play a role there???

That's way out of the box mate ;)

I think it has to be Raheem or Suso and that's about it or those two options until Can comes back.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #1224: Sep 17, 2014 01:19:53 am
      The little fella needs bringing back down to earth - with a bang. I think all of this adulation shown to him aswell as the Brazil call-ups have gone to his head. When will he learn about consistency? I'd drop him and give Suso a go. Talking of him - he couldn't wait to get down the tunnel at the end of the match and he looked like he had a right cob-on too!

adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #1225: Sep 17, 2014 02:15:32 am
      The issue for him these are the games for him to show BR he deserves to start and he really hasn't done much in the last couple starts. There are a number of players coming back within the next couple weeks and even with the more fixtures if the likes of Lallana, Markovic or Allen show more he could be sitting on the bench.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #1226: Sep 17, 2014 02:23:10 am
      I think he is trying to do way too much. It seems as if he thinks he has the club on his shoulders and he must carry them every game. Whenever he gets the ball he tries to be fancy and find that killer pass every single time. Sometimes it is just best to just lay the ball off and make a run rather than trying to force it.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,143 posts | 257 
      Reply #1227: Sep 17, 2014 08:08:57 am
      No question he's a magician, i think this little spell will remind him he has a long way to go though. Consistency has been his main problem.

He'll back, improved, soon.
      I think so mate.

Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #1228: Sep 17, 2014 09:39:30 am
      Amazing how much can change in just 1 month.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,790 posts | 2446 
      Reply #1229: Sep 17, 2014 02:51:15 pm
      Get it together Cou or you will start finding yourself on the bench more often than not.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #1230: Sep 17, 2014 03:18:40 pm
      I wonder how many here prefer Suso to Coutinho.

I wonder about Coutinho+ the Lallana money to allow a REALLY good player.
      Maybe Coutinho would flourish more on the Continent.

He's one of those thats looked so much better when given time and space - just see pre-season. Or see someone like (yuk!) Joe Cole when he played at a lower level.

There are other factors working against Coutinho here. Most notably a very new look team.
      But he does have weaknesses regardless of this.

It reminds me of the sales of players like Souness and Torres in the past. Sometimes a top player makes other players look better. And when the star is gone, the remaining players struggle to adapt.

So much for the idea that Coutinho would step up with Luis gone. Its actually been that opposite so far.

His trickery and pretty skills can be terrific. But even in the lower leagues you'll see players with flicks and tricks and the odd sublime pass. But its no good if the physical side and the end result arent there enough.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #1231: Sep 17, 2014 03:47:10 pm

He's one of those thats looked so much better when given time and space - just see pre-season. Or see someone like (yuk!) Joe Cole when he played at a lower level.

There are other factors working against Coutinho here. Most notably a very new look team.

It reminds me of the sales of players like Souness and Torres in the past. Sometimes a top player makes other players look better. And when the star is gone, the remaining players struggle to adapt.

So much for the idea that Coutinho would step up with Luis gone. Its actually been that opposite so far.

His trickery and pretty skills can be terrific. But even in the lower leagues you'll see players with flicks and tricks and the odd sublime pass. But its no good if the physical side and the end result arent there enough.

Its only a few games into the season and you are talking about selling him and Lallana? And even when Lallana has played only twice after he had been out several months and Cou has been fantastic for us in past seasons?

My oh my the pessimism is strong with this one.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #1232: Sep 17, 2014 04:19:03 pm
      Its only a few games into the season and you are talking about selling him and Lallana? And even when Lallana has played only twice after he had been out several months and Cou has been fantastic for us in past seasons?

My oh my the pessimism is strong with this one.

Not only that but, as usual, the debate centres around how much we spend on a player.

Just imagine if we spent the Coutinho+Lallana money on a Fellaini -  AP would be over the moon.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #1233: Sep 17, 2014 04:33:08 pm

No that wasn't what I was inferring. What I'm saying is that if you buy lots of "good" players, you end up with a "good" team. And if you buy top, top players.. you get a top team.
      To me, "good teams" are top 8. And top teams are top 3/4 or better. So its relevant to what *some* clubs may have done instead of what was actually done.

I absolutely love to WATCH an on form Coutinho. I'd love for him to become a top player. But to be a top player, he has to add certain things to his game.
      And whether he does *might* have an effect on our future standing. Because if we fail to get top 4, we could see some substantial backward development at the club.

I was never a big Lallana fan, but again.. 25m got a "good" player. But perhaps we need more than a "good" player to sustain last season's performance.

And as for selling players early on, no I've always advocated steady evolution. Atleast with the more quality players. And continuity is something we *have* lost in recent times.

And PS Hollywood, stick to Grid-Rounders or whatever its called, eh. You're rather lost with our English soccerball!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1234: Sep 17, 2014 05:38:19 pm

Ok

Him and Lallana we're bought years apart so saving the money in them is a ridiculous comment.

He looks better with time and space... So does everyone

He's playing very similar to last season I don't see Suarez leaving being a huge difference to him competed to others. He's still not accurate enough for me with both passing and shooting but I wouldn't call it a sell now crisis

skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,143 posts | 257 
      Reply #1235: Sep 18, 2014 09:06:53 am
      IMO currently Coutinho need better player(s) in front of him. In better player(s) I means better quality such as Luis, and better understanding between them (that's less worry as it could improved by time they play together).

Sturridge-Balotelli given more playing time will be OK I think we just have to be patient. What I want to see is during Sturridge unavailable I want Raheem to play alongside Balotelli. Two fast and clever players up front definitely benefit our creative players like Coutinho as he have more options to pass, more space and time as opponent have to follow our frontmen etc. Besides this, the soon we improve the defensive through the middle (gk-cbs-dm) the better as our both fbs and cm also have to stay high up the pitch that offer even more options in our attacking.     
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1236: Sep 18, 2014 09:19:41 am
      IMO currently Coutinho need better player(s) in front of him. In better player(s) I means better quality such as Luis, and better understanding between them (that's less worry as it could improved by time they play together).

Sturridge-Balotelli given more playing time will be OK I think we just have to be patient. What I want to see is during Sturridge unavailable I want Raheem to play alongside Balotelli. Two fast and clever players up front definitely benefit our creative players like Coutinho as he have more options to pass, more space and time as opponent have to follow our frontmen etc. Besides this, the soon we improve the defensive through the middle (gk-cbs-dm) the better as our both fbs and cm also have to stay high up the pitch that offer even more options in our attacking.     

Why not if there is no options up front for Coutinho keep hold of the ball instead of forcing a impossible pass. He needs to learn patience.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #1237: Sep 18, 2014 09:30:30 am
      Ok

Him and Lallana we're bought years apart so saving the money in them is a ridiculous comment.

He looks better with time and space... So does everyone

He's playing very similar to last season I don't see Suarez leaving being a huge difference to him competed to others. He's still not accurate enough for me with both passing and shooting but I wouldn't call it a sell now crisis

Nobody's said "sell now".
      I'm simply comparing the purchase of two "good" players vs one very good player, if we are spending the same amount.

A "good" player can give us bits of entertainment. But good players alone won't get us silverware or Champs Lge football, IMO. Ultimately it boils down to the fact that u can only put 11 on the pitch, and that its moments of magic than win tight games.

Its interesting to look at the transfermarket.de site. Ofcourse much of it can be taken with a pinch of salt. But its interesting to look how our players are valued vs our rivals players. Sometimes, I think we are over-optimistic about our own players.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1238: Sep 18, 2014 09:57:47 am
      IMO currently Coutinho need better player(s) in front of him. In better player(s) I means better quality such as Luis
      You've touched on a very good point skol (although "better", maybe isn't the right adjective): players with more movement or players who play 'off the shoulder' might be more apt.

Philippe is a fine player, creative and cultured but when his options for an attacking pass is to the feet of a striker who drops deep, plays with his back to goal and is therefore invariably marked by two defenders; he's bound to look less effective than before.

Yeah he then has the option of holding on to the ball and 'circulating' it [sterile circulation; isn't that what it's called?] in a nice, safe but ultimately ineffective piece of 'football' but... then you could argue that his creativity too becomes stifled. He becomes another Allen or Lucas and we end up very patient but 'sterile'. The clue is in the name. Remember how far 'sterile circulation' got us pre Couts and Danny?

If you watched Barcelona in their pomp Iniesta and Xavi probed and probed with through balls to players running off the shoulder; not every ball came off but they weren't afraid to try again and it eventually led to a goal.

Couts will flourish again (he's too good not to), when he's got Danny back and Raheem plays in front of him. In my opinion, of course.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,143 posts | 257 
      Reply #1239: Sep 18, 2014 02:29:28 pm
      Why not if there is no options up front for Coutinho keep hold of the ball instead of forcing a impossible pass. He needs to learn patience.

Agree about 'he needs to learn patience' mate, but he's not experience enough for now and if I'm in his position (creative attacking midfielder who responsible to make thing happen from nothing) I still do the same (try risky pass instead of Allen trademark pass :D)

Oh and you may need the like of Huth or Senderos permit to keep hold of the ball in Premier League (that's a joke mate :D)

You've touched on a very good point skol (although "better", maybe isn't the right adjective): players with more movement or players who play 'off the shoulder' might be more apt.

Philippe is a fine player, creative and cultured but when his options for an attacking pass is to the feet of a striker who drops deep, plays with his back to goal and is therefore invariably marked by two defenders; he's bound to look less effective than before.

Yeah he then has the option of holding on to the ball and 'circulating' it [sterile circulation; isn't that what it's called?] in a nice, safe but ultimately ineffective piece of 'football' but... then you could argue that his creativity too becomes stifled. He becomes another Allen or Lucas and we end up very patient but 'sterile'. The clue is in the name. Remember how far 'sterile circulation' got us pre Couts and Danny?

If you watched Barcelona in their pomp Iniesta and Xavi probed and probed with through balls to players running off the shoulder; not every ball came off but they weren't afraid to try again and it eventually led to a goal.

Couts will flourish again (he's too good not to), when he's got Danny back and Raheem plays in front of him. In my opinion, of course.

Thank you bbb mate :D

It's what my thought exactly that Coutinho don't want to do the safe but ineffective pass and your right if he do so people surely can't wait to call for his head, poor boy :(

Hopefully BR patient enough and nurture  him to be a better player.   

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1240: Sep 18, 2014 02:38:30 pm
      He's another slow starter is all.
      BR has instructed him to play higher risk passes in the final third (last season he said this), so that's what he does.
      It looks great when it comes off, not so great when it doesn't.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,892 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1241: Sep 18, 2014 03:07:02 pm
      Coutinho is forcing his game again we saw it at points last season too. His rushing on the ball and scuffing his shots.

For me Sterling starts ahead of him in the No.10 role and until he can dislodge Raheem I think he should start from the bench unless we are rotating players.

He will come good but just playing him for the sake of it when his off form won't help either us or him.

Quick Reply