Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 399074 times
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho Player Thread
      Reply #1242: Sep 18, 2014 03:23:51 pm
      If we have Sterling and Sturridge ahead of him, the big question is whether we play Balotelli or not.

If we did that would mean the aged Gerrard and Henderson in mf with Coutinho.

I think we could lack quite a bit of movement and bite if that was the front 6.

Its not easy to make too many concessions for Coutinho if he still only plays "ok" or "good".
      What we might gain in one area, we might lose more in another.

I see Coutinho, atleast on current form, as "part of the squad". The team is finding its feet currently, and it remains to be seen what his role is in all of it.

Personally, I'd have liked to have seen how Can could have done, but his injury precludes that for a while. Sometimes I think that if you are stronger defensively as a team, he can also become more of a threat in the forward areas. And ofcourse the def side is not a Coutinho strength.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1243: Sep 18, 2014 05:56:24 pm
      I think the last time I saw someone have as ineffective a game in a Liverpool shirt as Phillipe the other night, it was Raheem Sterling before we played Spurs. Then, as we all said he'd become "too big for his boots" and that he should be "loaned out sharpish" Brendan stuck with him and the rest is history. I hope he does the same for Coutinho in what for the Brazilian is the first major blip in his Liverpool form. I agree with what the manager said in his presser, there are no worries for this lad, he's a wonderful little player.

If it were me I'd be telling him to get himself ahead of the ball in the final third a bit more, come out of the number 10 pocket and have an impact on the game by getting inside the box occasionally. He's done it before like he did at Man City last season, and I'd like to see him ask more of a question in that way. In possession I'd look to him to be a little more conservative, to play the continuation pass more often. As it is though, I love him as a footballer.   

bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1244: Sep 18, 2014 09:53:34 pm
      No doubt, will be important player for us again this season. But out of sorts just now, so would rest him on Sat.
      LFC Dynamo
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #1245: Sep 19, 2014 08:28:34 pm
      Truly excellent player, can become an LFC legend, I just hope a club like Bayern, RM or Barca come in for him in a few years time.

Give him a new contract ASAP!
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #1246: Sep 19, 2014 08:41:24 pm
      Truly excellent player, can become an LFC legend, I just hope a club like Bayern, RM or Barca come in for him in a few years time.

Give him a new contract ASAP!

He has done nothng this season to deserve a new contract. We must be objective. He has done nothing so far and has been average at best.

I'm nt saying he is not a good player, we all know how good he can be but so far he has been average.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #1247: Sep 19, 2014 08:59:02 pm
      If Coutinho gets the confidence to run at defences like we know he can,  we'll be creaming over him again.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1248: Sep 27, 2014 04:23:58 pm
      Looked good when he came on, hopefully he can continue this.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #1249: Oct 01, 2014 11:44:35 pm
      What has actually happened to Coutinho? When he first signed for us in January 2013, the kid was absolutely unplayable. He was nearly impossible to tackle, would take on opponents without the fear, would play some of the most audacious passes like that one against Fulham with the outside of his boot. The boy was only 20 at the time but everything he produced was like a breath of fresh air.

13/14 season arrived and his performances, personally, I would describe as inconsistent. Had some fantastic games but also had some poor games. Looked lightweight, didn't attack his opponents like before and had a habit for trying to force the play. Ended up being very wasteful and frustrating to watch. Has been that way since.

A lack of talent isn't this boys problem.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1250: Oct 02, 2014 12:04:40 am
      What has actually happened to Coutinho? When he first signed for us in January 2013, the kid was absolutely unplayable. He was nearly impossible to tackle, would take on opponents without the fear, would play some of the most audacious passes like that one against Fulham with the outside of his boot. The boy was only 20 at the time but everything he produced was like a breath of fresh air.

13/14 season arrived and his performances, personally, I would describe as inconsistent. Had some fantastic games but also had some poor games. Looked lightweight, didn't attack his opponents like before and had a habit for trying to force the play. Ended up being very wasteful and frustrating to watch. Has been that way since.

You could describe his performance for Raheem and Hendo to a degree.

Something systemically wrong within the team .
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1251: Oct 02, 2014 12:04:51 am

I really think he needs runners in front of him, not rigid wide players and target man. Also, having 2 sitting midfielders that are average in short passing department doesn't help. Many occasions tonight where I saw him drop deep but only to be bypassed by long balls.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1252: Oct 02, 2014 12:07:20 am
      I really think he needs runners in front of him, not rigid wide players and target man. Also, having 2 sitting midfielders that are average in short passing department doesn't help. Many occasions tonight where I saw him drop deep but only to be bypassed by long balls.

Too be fair he has been pretty average in everything he has done this season from passing, pressing to retaining recycling the ball. Still looking for the killer ball.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1253: Oct 02, 2014 12:13:11 am
      Too be fair he has been pretty average in everything he has done this season from passing, pressing to retaining recycling the ball. Still looking for the killer ball.

I agree, but I feel he needs players like Lucas(short passing), Borini and Sturridge (runners) with him for us to see him become the player we all know he can be.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #1254: Oct 02, 2014 12:30:32 am
      He's fantastic.

For the 1 game in 10 he decides to show up.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1255: Oct 02, 2014 12:35:16 am
      Peaked in pre season.

Shame.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1256: Oct 02, 2014 09:04:44 am
      Anyone see him when he was subbed? Came to the bench, did the sign of the Cross, looked up to the skys and walked off, right past BR. BR turned around and gave him the death stare, like "no handshake, what the F**k is up your arse"?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #1257: Oct 02, 2014 09:44:47 am
      Anyone see him when he was subbed? Came to the bench, did the sign of the Cross, looked up to the skys and walked off, right past BR. BR turned around and gave him the death stare, like "no handshake, what the F**k is up your arse"?

Saw that mate, somebody there was well F***ing pissed off.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #1258: Oct 02, 2014 09:49:19 am
      I don't think he is the root cause of his bad performances. As one poster mentioned, we see,ed to bypass him time and again with long balls up field.

I think Rodgers has lost the respect from a number of players. This attitude first displayed by Sakho and now Coutinho. It's not as if we are winning either.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #1259: Oct 02, 2014 09:50:37 am
      Saw that mate, somebody there was well f**king pissed off.

Agreed mate. I can understand Phillipe's frustration, he put in a decent okish shift, Marcovic did absolutely nothing to deserve staying on the pitch ahead of Couts.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1260: Oct 02, 2014 09:52:35 am
      Agreed mate. I can understand Phillipe's frustration, he put in a decent okish shift, Marcovic did absolutely nothing to deserve staying on the pitch ahead of Couts.

im not sure Red they were both less than average if im being kind.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #1261: Oct 02, 2014 09:54:26 am
      im not sure Red they were both less than average if im being kind.

That's why I said okish HS, if I had to give either a rating, I'd lean more towards Phillipe getting the votes.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #1262: Oct 02, 2014 10:10:49 am
      That's why I said okish HS, if I had to give either a rating, I'd lean more towards Phillipe getting the votes.

It was a case of who was less F***ing awful with the whole team bud, Markovic apart from achieving F**k all was a cause for concern everytime his foot contacted the ball.
      Coutinho less of a concern although it has to be said he does need the well oiled set up to shine and last night was light years from that mechanism.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1263: Oct 02, 2014 10:15:28 am
      I think he is coming back into a little form. I'd still like to see him come in much deeper for the ball though and be our go to tick-tock continuation player, much as many claimed Lucas was for many years. Lets get that pass completion rate up into the high nineties nd get Phillipe dictating the play once it's inside the centre circle. He should think more Xavi than Aimar, THEN we'll see the real Coutinho IMHO.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #1264: Oct 02, 2014 11:42:53 am
      It was a case of who was less f**king awful with the whole team bud, Markovic apart from achieving f**k all was a cause for concern everytime his foot contacted the ball.
      Coutinho less of a concern although it has to be said he does need the well oiled set up to shine and last night was light years from that mechanism.

Agree mate. Couts would have got a 2 maybe 3 if I'm being generous and Marcovic a big fat 0.

Quick Reply