Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 402420 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho Player Thread
      Reply #1380: Jan 21, 2015 10:27:42 am
      Just a bit too honest. One of the reasons Hazard is so difficult to play against (and the same was true with Suarez to be fair) is that if you get the tackle even 1% wrong they go over and win the free kick/penalty. Phillipe by and large stays on his feet unless he is blocked (when often he doesn't get the free kick bizarrely). He needs to win a few penalties and free kicks to make them scared of challenging him, THEN we'll see "end product" in abundance.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1381: Jan 24, 2015 10:17:08 pm
      This is where I question hin slightly. It was his game today to unlock Bolton and for all his nice play it never really happened for him today.

For all his talent other number 10s at other clubs such as Eriksen, Silva, Oscar etc are in my opinion having more impact on their respective teams in terms of quality of chances created, goals and assists.

Great talent, but still waiting for him to become a consistent match winner for us.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #1382: Jan 24, 2015 10:29:37 pm
      This is where I question hin slightly. It was his game today to unlock Bolton and for all his nice play it never really happened for him today.

For all his talent other number 10s at other clubs such as Eriksen, Silva, Oscar etc are in my opinion having more impact on their respective teams in terms of quality of chances created, goals and assists.

Great talent, but still waiting for him to become a consistent match winner for us.

I think part of the "problem" is that very few others operate on the same wavelength as Philippe. Suarez did.... I think Studge does, but we haven't got to see much of him this year. Beyond those two, I think Lallana is really the only player who really works well with Coutinho....
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #1383: Jan 24, 2015 11:44:06 pm
      I think part of the "problem" is that very few others operate on the same wavelength as Philippe. Suarez did.... I think Studge does, but we haven't got to see much of him this year. Beyond those two, I think Lallana is really the only player who really works well with Coutinho....

He has a habit of forcing the play sometimes which means making passes which are never on. Luckily they are becoming the rarity than the norm.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #1384: Jan 25, 2015 01:18:55 am

He unlocked Bolton a great deal, the problem is Sterling doesn't have the anticipation that Suarez did (and Sturridge does). So many times you saw Sterling chasing a ball that you know Suarez would have already been on the end of.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1385: Jan 25, 2015 05:19:22 am
      Where are his shooting boots?

He really needs to start finishing his classy work. It's getting very frustrating. We have a little Magician on our hands but he can't seem to find the back of the net.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #1386: Jan 25, 2015 06:16:46 pm
      I know this is gonna sound kinda weird but I think Coutinho actually has a technique problem when striking the ball which is why he scuffs so many of his shots. If you look at some of his shots he makes contact with the ball more on the inside of his foot when he should be hitting more in the area of his laces.

I only noticed it because it was an issue I always had growing up.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1387: Jan 25, 2015 07:25:06 pm
      I know this is gonna sound kinda weird but I think Coutinho actually has a technique problem when striking the ball which is why he scuffs so many of his shots. If you look at some of his shots he makes contact with the ball more on the inside of his foot when he should be hitting more in the area of his laces.

I only noticed it because it was an issue I always had growing up.

Nothing weird about it at all mate. He forces it too much, like in golf where your head moves first, it's similar to what Phil does when taking on a shot.

Just finessing the shot would serve him so much better. Granted sometimes it will float into the keeper's hands but sometimes he will also score cracking goals. For that to be even more effective if he just waited to get closer in us and him would be much better off.

Keep developing the partnership with Raheem and throw Studge in there though and our goals per game will go up massively. Still doesn't change the fact that it should be something being worked on to maximise what we get out of a very, very talented player.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1388: Jan 25, 2015 08:08:59 pm
      I think we will just have to accept that the little fella is not the greatest striker of a football and appreciate everything else he brings to the team. I would argue he is possibly playing his best football in a red shirt at the moment since his move to a more central position (or at least he is popping up there a lot more) in this formation. Had Studge been in the side these past 10 games I suspect the little Brazilians assist tally would be through the roof.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1389: Jan 25, 2015 10:59:06 pm
      Could be a 20 goal a season player if he sorts his bloody shooting out!!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #1390: Jan 26, 2015 02:13:17 am
      To be frank couldn't give a sh*t about his goal scoring.  In fact he adds goals to his games and them 2 Spanish teams will be like flies on sh*t.   Come to think about it rather have him creating chances and controlling games, scaring the sh*t out of teams for the next decade.  Instead of a could couple of seasons and them pests coming and turning his head round.  And probably getting their prey.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1391: Jan 26, 2015 10:29:58 am
      great game was unlucky to not pull off some of the passes he attempted and his shots towards goal on target so he's improving and is still young, when Sturridge is back he will have better options to pass and will start getting more assists.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1392: Jan 29, 2015 01:11:48 pm
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #1393: Jan 29, 2015 01:17:07 pm
      Only 22, kids going to be an absolute star for us within a couple years. Even more so than now.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1394: Jan 29, 2015 01:31:09 pm
      seriously why are FSG taking so long to sort out talent like this,make him an offer of a new deal his agent looks at it and comes back with an improved asking price... pay it done move on
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #1395: Jan 29, 2015 01:36:16 pm
      seriously why are FSG taking so long to sort out talent like this,make him an offer of a new deal his agent looks at it and comes back with an improved asking price... pay it done move on

Totally agree! There are a number of players who need their contracts renewing and Coutinho, IMO, should be a priority along with Sterling. Two young lads with amazing potentials, yet we continue to hesitate. It's as if we want a club full of 20 year olds on no more than 20-30k per week (Markovic, Can).
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1396: Jan 29, 2015 01:42:44 pm
      Totally agree! There are a number of players who need their contracts renewing and Coutinho, IMO, should be a priority along with Sterling. Two young lads with amazing potentials, yet we continue to hesitate. It's as if we want a club full of 20 year olds on no more than 20-30k per week (Markovic, Can).
      youth is great but we need experiance, so give these two lads new deals this week before the west ham game and tie them for the next 5yrs,
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1397: Jan 31, 2015 05:33:22 pm
      There we go, directly affecting the game today with two assists. Time to get his numbers up now with the pace of Sturridge and Sterling running off him.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1398: Jan 31, 2015 05:38:45 pm
      Magisterial. The only word to describe Coutinho's passing is magisterial. Both assists were weighted perfectly. So suited to having a pacey outlet up top, whether that's Sterling or now the returning Sturridge. Have the feeling Coutinho's going to have a boss second half.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1399: Jan 31, 2015 06:20:54 pm
      This kid would be the complete player if only he could finish consistently. That one two with Sterling was magic, the cut inside all he needed to do was put the ball to the far side of the net.

I say this because I think he'd be a better player than the likes of Hazard and Silva if he could just finish more often.

Brilliant player though and hope he keeps up this form.
      jtrollip
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 192 posts |
      Reply #1400: Jan 31, 2015 11:45:26 pm
      His finishing does seem to be improving though. No longer skying them and now they're mainly on target at good pace, just needs a bit more improvement and he'll be grand.

Having said that, he was immense
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #1401: Jan 31, 2015 11:55:57 pm
      Coutinho is 21

At the same age Zidane was playing for Bordeaux I believe, and Ronaldinho for Paris St Germain both still developing at the time

Coutinho will become an immense player in a few seasons.....

said it before and i'll say it again...
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1402: Jan 31, 2015 11:58:13 pm
      Sturridge being back should see him rack up even more assists now

Quick Reply