Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 402052 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho Player Thread
      Reply #1886: Nov 21, 2015 09:20:33 pm
       looks like he believes in hinself again and today City had no answer to his skill
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1887: Nov 22, 2015 12:23:47 am
      Apparently cramp in his hamstring so hopefully not too serious.

Nice mate, feared the worst but you've just brightened my day even more.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #1888: Nov 22, 2015 12:45:03 pm
      Nice mate, feared the worst but you've just brightened my day even more.

Same as mate, when Coutinho stays down it's time to worry.
      He was the object of some fierce challenges yesterday and to come off with just cramp is a big let-off, looks like those fragile Philippe days are a thing of the past
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      Reply #1889: Nov 22, 2015 07:44:18 pm
      Same as mate, when Coutinho stays down it's time to worry.
      He was the object of some fierce challenges yesterday and to come off with just cramp is a big let-off, looks like those fragile Philippe days are a thing of the past

Let's hope so bud, he's integral to us and now he's linking up with Firmino so beautifully, gives us a whole new dimesnion.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #1890: Nov 23, 2015 10:32:27 pm
      @pjoyceexpress: Philippe Coutinho injury not serious. Had scan, minor hamstring strain. Not ruled out for Swansea on Sunday as yet.
      marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Reply #1891: Nov 24, 2015 12:54:17 pm
      The more he dazzles, the more he scores, the more nervous I get that Barca will come calling. Hopefully we can make him happy enough here to stay.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1892: Nov 24, 2015 01:41:55 pm
      I was worried about him earlier this season he just wasnt himself but these last few games he has really been a joy to watch and seeing a player of his ability chase back to the halfway line to tackle the  fullback and go on to create a goal shows DESIRE.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1893: Nov 24, 2015 02:53:15 pm
      dont risk him for at home V Swansea if he's not 100% start with Benteke drop firmino back and put lallana in the coutinho role
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1894: Dec 02, 2015 10:43:59 am
      MODERN FOOTBALL HAS CREATED A PURGATORY. A place where players that fail to live up to their initial hype are consigned to. The lines between star and potential star are becoming increasingly blurred, meaning fans and clubs alike are impatient. They demand an instant impact and if you don’t deliver it’s a missed opportunity for the player, not the club. One player on the verge of escaping his personal limbo is Liverpool’s Philippe Coutinho.

Philippe Coutinho Correia, the third, and youngest, son of José Carlos, was born on June 12, 1992, in Rio de Janiero and raised in the district of Rocha. A collection of small industrial warehouses was his humble childhood home.

It was in this area that the future Brazil international learnt his craft. The concrete football pitch close by was his canvas and his elder brothers his inspiration; he would go on to express himself in that concrete jungle.

Futsal was his game of choice and it wasn’t long before Philippe was getting the better of his elder brothers, Cristiano and Leandro. It also wasn’t long before clubs started taking note and he was asked to attend a trial for Vasco da Gama. It’s hard to imagine it now – the Liverpool number 10 often makes himself at home in some of England’s biggest stadiums – but on his first day he wouldn’t leave his father’s side and cried due to extreme shyness.

Recalling his futsal years, Coutinho said: “I played futsal from the age of six. Then when I was seven I went to Vasco da Gama, I was playing futsal until I was 11 before I moved to the big pitch. This is where I learned my skills. When you play futsal, it is more technical and much quicker. The place where you play is much smaller and the pace quicker so you need to be a highly technical player to succeed. It helps me adapt quicker.”

The futsal videos of a young Coutinho – ‘Philippinho’ as he was called back then – can be found on YouTube, with the curly haired maestro still using the same tricks when he plays now as he did back then. He’s a contortionist with the ball at his feet and a joy to watch. The twinkle in his eye and the cheeky smile he flashes after scoring is something Liverpool fans have become accustomed to.

Coming through the youth ranks at Vasco he often crossed paths with another Brazilian starlet, Neymar. At the time the talk was about which of these two talented youngsters would be the best. The were likened to Robinho and Diego, two players that had some years earlier come through the ranks at Santos. Coutinho’s Vasco defeated Neymar’s Santos in the under-17 Copa do Brasil in 2008 and his star was on rapid ascent.

Unsurprisingly with a profound South American talent, a move to Europe was just around the corner. Many clubs showed an interest but it was Italian side Inter Milan who took the calculated risk and paid Vasco da Gama €4 million for the services of Brazil’s next big thing.

After just a few training sessions with Inter, manager at the time Rafa Benítez declared Coutinho would be “the club’s future”. Many will be familiar with the Inter-Tottenham Hotspur 4-3 match, it’s forever associated with Gareth Bale announcing himself to the world, but it was Inter Milan’s number 29 who impressed the football purists. The diminutive Brazilian played a part in two of the four Inter goals while playing on the left of a 4-2-3-1. A bright start at Inter soon faded, however; a mixture of injuries and the sacking of Benítez meant Coutinho finished the season out of the team.

After failing to establish himself in the first half of 2011-12, Inter allowed Coutinho to be loaned to Spanish side Espanyol, who at the time had future Southampton and Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino at the helm. The loan deal was the revival Coutinho’s stagnating career needed.

A return of five goals in 16 appearances – and one of the goals of the season against Rayo Vallecano – led to Espanyol wanting to extend the loan but Inter were convinced of his quality once again and welcomed him back with open arms. Diego Milito, Inter’s leading marksman at the time, commented how “[Coutinho’s] time in Spain changed him for the better”. First team football will do that to a player. The first half of the next season he made 19 appearances for the side, just one shy of the total number he made in the entirety of 2010-11.

In a bizarre twist he was sold to Liverpool in January 2013 for £8 million – many Nerazzurri fans questioning the wisdom of letting their best young talent leave on the cheap. The fee was too tempting, however, for the Inter Milan owners, who had grown tired of waiting to reap their rewards.

Later, Inter Milan director Piero Ausilio noted his regret at letting Coutinho leave: “He was just 18 when he arrived at the club from Vasco. Then came [Rafa] Benítez and the expectations were very high. Rafa had used him on the flanks in a 4-2-3-1 formation but he was not playing much so we decided to sell him. I would like young players to grow and succeed here; when I see them play for other clubs, it makes me sad.”

Inter’s loss was Liverpool’s gain. The mercurial mop-headed number 10 made himself at home in the Liverpool line-up, hitting it off instantly with Luis Suárez and Daniel Sturridge. Originally playing on the left of a 4-2-3-1 – like he had at Inter – his partnership with the latter blossomed in the absence of the former and he was instrumental in Liverpool’s emphatic end to the 2012-13 season.
      https://twitter.com/thesefootytimes/status/671064222625882112
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1895: Dec 02, 2015 11:32:53 am
      MODERN FOOTBALL HAS CREATED A PURGATORY. A place where players that fail to live up to their initial hype are consigned to. The lines between star and potential star are becoming increasingly blurred, meaning fans and clubs alike are impatient. They demand an instant impact and if you don’t deliver it’s a missed opportunity for the player, not the club. One player on the verge of escaping his personal limbo is Liverpool’s Philippe Coutinho.

Philippe Coutinho Correia, the third, and youngest, son of José Carlos, was born on June 12, 1992, in Rio de Janiero and raised in the district of Rocha. A collection of small industrial warehouses was his humble childhood home.

It was in this area that the future Brazil international learnt his craft. The concrete football pitch close by was his canvas and his elder brothers his inspiration; he would go on to express himself in that concrete jungle.

Futsal was his game of choice and it wasn’t long before Philippe was getting the better of his elder brothers, Cristiano and Leandro. It also wasn’t long before clubs started taking note and he was asked to attend a trial for Vasco da Gama. It’s hard to imagine it now – the Liverpool number 10 often makes himself at home in some of England’s biggest stadiums – but on his first day he wouldn’t leave his father’s side and cried due to extreme shyness.

Recalling his futsal years, Coutinho said: “I played futsal from the age of six. Then when I was seven I went to Vasco da Gama, I was playing futsal until I was 11 before I moved to the big pitch. This is where I learned my skills. When you play futsal, it is more technical and much quicker. The place where you play is much smaller and the pace quicker so you need to be a highly technical player to succeed. It helps me adapt quicker.”

The futsal videos of a young Coutinho – ‘Philippinho’ as he was called back then – can be found on YouTube, with the curly haired maestro still using the same tricks when he plays now as he did back then. He’s a contortionist with the ball at his feet and a joy to watch. The twinkle in his eye and the cheeky smile he flashes after scoring is something Liverpool fans have become accustomed to.

Coming through the youth ranks at Vasco he often crossed paths with another Brazilian starlet, Neymar. At the time the talk was about which of these two talented youngsters would be the best. The were likened to Robinho and Diego, two players that had some years earlier come through the ranks at Santos. Coutinho’s Vasco defeated Neymar’s Santos in the under-17 Copa do Brasil in 2008 and his star was on rapid ascent.

Unsurprisingly with a profound South American talent, a move to Europe was just around the corner. Many clubs showed an interest but it was Italian side Inter Milan who took the calculated risk and paid Vasco da Gama €4 million for the services of Brazil’s next big thing.

After just a few training sessions with Inter, manager at the time Rafa Benítez declared Coutinho would be “the club’s future”. Many will be familiar with the Inter-Tottenham Hotspur 4-3 match, it’s forever associated with Gareth Bale announcing himself to the world, but it was Inter Milan’s number 29 who impressed the football purists. The diminutive Brazilian played a part in two of the four Inter goals while playing on the left of a 4-2-3-1. A bright start at Inter soon faded, however; a mixture of injuries and the sacking of Benítez meant Coutinho finished the season out of the team.

After failing to establish himself in the first half of 2011-12, Inter allowed Coutinho to be loaned to Spanish side Espanyol, who at the time had future Southampton and Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino at the helm. The loan deal was the revival Coutinho’s stagnating career needed.

A return of five goals in 16 appearances – and one of the goals of the season against Rayo Vallecano – led to Espanyol wanting to extend the loan but Inter were convinced of his quality once again and welcomed him back with open arms. Diego Milito, Inter’s leading marksman at the time, commented how “[Coutinho’s] time in Spain changed him for the better”. First team football will do that to a player. The first half of the next season he made 19 appearances for the side, just one shy of the total number he made in the entirety of 2010-11.

In a bizarre twist he was sold to Liverpool in January 2013 for £8 million – many Nerazzurri fans questioning the wisdom of letting their best young talent leave on the cheap. The fee was too tempting, however, for the Inter Milan owners, who had grown tired of waiting to reap their rewards.

Later, Inter Milan director Piero Ausilio noted his regret at letting Coutinho leave: “He was just 18 when he arrived at the club from Vasco. Then came [Rafa] Benítez and the expectations were very high. Rafa had used him on the flanks in a 4-2-3-1 formation but he was not playing much so we decided to sell him. I would like young players to grow and succeed here; when I see them play for other clubs, it makes me sad.”

Inter’s loss was Liverpool’s gain. The mercurial mop-headed number 10 made himself at home in the Liverpool line-up, hitting it off instantly with Luis Suárez and Daniel Sturridge. Originally playing on the left of a 4-2-3-1 – like he had at Inter – his partnership with the latter blossomed in the absence of the former and he was instrumental in Liverpool’s emphatic end to the 2012-13 season.
      https://twitter.com/thesefootytimes/status/671064222625882112

How I'd love that to be our kit in the image.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1896: Dec 02, 2015 05:06:17 pm
      Is it just me or has he stopped shooting from anywhere on the pitch virtually every time he gets the ball? I remember as it was coming to the end of Rodgers' time, Coutinho was having so many piss poor shots constantly but he seems to have cut that out now, maybe Klopp had a word with him about it because he has definitely upped his game.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #1897: Dec 03, 2015 01:41:28 am
      Is it just me or has he stopped shooting from anywhere on the pitch virtually every time he gets the ball? I remember as it was coming to the end of Rodgers' time, Coutinho was having so many piss poor shots constantly but he seems to have cut that out now, maybe Klopp had a word with him about it because he has definitely upped his game.

Probably because the team was piss during the final months of BR's tenure that the only shots we were registering were Phil's hopeful long shots.....
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,209 posts | 2799 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1898: Dec 21, 2015 01:30:50 pm
      needs a kick up the hole sharpish
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      Reply #1899: Dec 22, 2015 07:38:05 pm
      Keeps hitting his long shots but straight at the keeper.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,543 posts | 1666 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1900: Dec 30, 2015 10:11:06 pm
      Thought he did well in the 1st half. But faded badly in 2nd. Not sure if this is just a bad patch, but Cou's influence on games is not what it was. Would hope for more from a guy with his ability. Some pretty wayward shooting too on the night. Not sure if it's the way Klopp has us playing, but the little fella doesn't seem quite himself. Hopefully will hit a vein of better form soon.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1901: Dec 30, 2015 10:13:38 pm
      To be fair to him, he's come in for a lot of criticism but I actually thought he ran himself ragged in terms of tracking and covering. It might be his default when he's under pressure to shoot, needs to get out of it, pass the bloody ball Cou, you're truly world class when you do.

That no look back-heel to Benteke was outstanding, even caught Benteke by surprise.

Think he should drop deeper and just be a possession based player who plays the incisive passes, sticking him up top is asking for him to shoot to often. When he receives it deeper he takes people on, he pulls the strings and we get so much more out of him.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #1902: Dec 30, 2015 10:23:23 pm

He scored a couple of long range shots Earler in the season and suddenly it's all he does. Must be one of the worst players in the league for shots from outside the box and failing to find the target.

He really needs to be more consistent and far smarter in the way he plays the game if he wants to be considered top class like we all know he's capable of.

He puts in a few match winning performances then disappears for games on end.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1903: Dec 30, 2015 10:26:45 pm

He scored a couple of long range shots Earler in the season and suddenly it's all he does. Must be one of the worst players in the league for shots from outside the box and failing to find the target.

He really needs to be more consistent and far smarter in the way he plays the game if he wants to be considered top class like we all know he's capable of.

He puts in a few match winning performances then disappears for games on end.

Agree, said last year that he needed to model his game more on David Silva than someone who shoots as often as he does and then for a time this looked like poor advice but only for a short period, now he's back to the erratic again. Of course the odd one will go in here and there but he needs to know, maybe a bit like Xavi when to shoot and when to pass. Only shoot when it is the right option, it's a tough lesson to learn because you always believe with the right strike you can score, but a lesson in probabilities wouldn't go a miss (not talking sitting him down for a maths class here).

Decision making, one of the absolute toughest things for a footballer to learn and apply. If Cou could master it he would become an incredible talent, right now he's still just that potential.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #1904: Dec 30, 2015 10:31:44 pm
      Agree, said last year that he needed to model his game more on David Silva than someone who shoots as often as he does and then for a time this looked like poor advice but only for a short period, now he's back to the erratic again. Of course the odd one will go in here and there but he needs to know, maybe a bit like Xavi when to shoot and when to pass. Only shoot when it is the right option, it's a tough lesson to learn because you always believe with the right strike you can score, but a lesson in probabilities wouldn't go a miss (not talking sitting him down for a maths class here).

Decision making, one of the absolute toughest things for a footballer to learn and apply. If Cou could master it he would become an incredible talent, right now he's still just that potential.

I agree with all you say, I think all of us have gone overboard with Couts being world class when he is so inconsistent, seems like he has been on the forum and starting to believe his own hype!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,222 posts | 4919 
      Reply #1905: Dec 30, 2015 10:33:56 pm
      If I was JĂŒrgen I'd fine him every time he hits that shot he always does when he cuts inside.

Can't work out if he's going though one of his lulls, doesn't quite fit with what JĂŒrgen wants or if we simply over rate him and he's not as good as we think he is.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1906: Dec 30, 2015 10:35:05 pm
      If I was JĂŒrgen is fine him every time he hits that shot he always does when he cuts inside.

Getting a bit like watching Glen Johnson, it's beyond predictable now.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1907: Dec 30, 2015 10:43:25 pm
      Short memories on here whilst he was far from brilliant against Sunderland he does not deserve the criticism some have been giving him.

I thought he was outstanding against Leicester a few days ago created space and chances for himself and was genuinely a danger in that game. His ability to find space for himself is incredible.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #1908: Dec 30, 2015 10:52:49 pm
      Short memories on here whilst he was far from brilliant against Sunderland he does not deserve the criticism some have been giving him.

I thought he was outstanding against Leicester a few days ago created space and chances for himself and was genuinely a danger in that game. His ability to find space for himself is incredible.

A great player in that situation looks up and makes a great pass if not recycles play keeping the pressure on the opposition. Of course on the odd occasion you take a pop shot but not every time and oconsequently coughing up possession in the opposition half which has been hard worked at achieving.

Quick Reply