Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 402034 times
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Re: Philippe Coutinho Player Thread
      Reply #2116: Aug 08, 2016 03:34:10 pm
      I want to see coutinho step up to the next level now, he's not really progressed much since he first joined.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #2117: Aug 08, 2016 07:50:29 pm
      I think he can excel in ANY of the roles highlighted in this thread. In my opinion some of the inconsistency has more to do with the supporting cast rather than the player himself. I like him in a 10 shirt but I think he can also be very effective from an inside left position or playing deeper in an 8 shirt. Since Suarez departure, the loss of Sterling and the injuries to Studge (and the time it has taken him to get back to fitness) I think it has all fallen on Coutinho. Put him in a side with other skilful players, surround him with some pace and a couple of players who like to run in behind and we'll see the best of him. He has games when we has 6-7 pot shots at goal from all over the place BUT I dare say that is because he feels like he needs to take those shots, particularly when he has been playing with statuesque forwards like Balotelli and Benteke the past couple of seasons.

He will be better this season. Mane will stretch the pitch with his pace and skill and Studge looks like he might have regained some of the pace (and willingness) to play on the shoulder again in 2016-17. I think the little magician will have that little bit more room to play his game this season and I would expect to see his assists count to go up and his shot counter to reduce some what.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #2118: Aug 08, 2016 07:51:56 pm
      I want to see coutinho step up to the next level now, he's not really progressed much since he first joined.

Not sure if you are serious... His improvement from Inter has been nothing short of incredible - what more do you want from him, bearing in mind he is only 24 still...
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #2119: Aug 08, 2016 08:04:30 pm
      Not sure if you are serious... His improvement from Inter has been nothing short of incredible - what more do you want from him, bearing in mind he is only 24 still...

Agreed, that was a ridiculous statement.

24 is the perfect age to show what he can do now. I'm expecting big things
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #2120: Aug 15, 2016 11:24:43 am
      Top scorer in the League.

Only player to score twice on the opening day.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2121: Aug 15, 2016 11:26:35 am
      Still our little magician.

Get him into a game and we improve three-fold.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,312 posts | 6377 
      Reply #2122: Aug 15, 2016 12:43:34 pm
      Guess he doesn't need preseason (other than fitness).

Can't afford to leave him out when he produces magic like he did.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #2123: Aug 15, 2016 04:14:56 pm
      Coutinho's free kick was stunning! He made such a great little run for his second too.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #2124: Aug 15, 2016 04:21:17 pm
      Has to be played as a CAM for me. Even if it means dropping Firmino. If we lined up like so we'd be so dangerous against anyone:

Sturridge
                 Origi     Coutinho     Mane

Either that or play Firmino out on the left? Phil has to be in the centre for me.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2125: Aug 17, 2016 10:54:39 am
      Both Phil and Firmino are likely to be called up for the Brazil squad in September.

Well done to both of them if the rumours are true.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #2126: Aug 23, 2016 05:51:53 pm
      I genuinely think that the inconsistency still in his game is the reason that Real or Barca haven't made a move for him yet. There is no denying that he is world class, and that may be part of the issue, at times he may well get the ball, look around and think "I don't fancy these lads to get us out of this" and take a pot shot... repeatedly. But I think if he can find a way to unlock those situations with something else, some of his magic, then the big money will come knocking. I don't like making the comparison too much but it's the way it went with Suarez, the talent was always there, in his early years at the club we seen it in flashes, in his last season we seen it every week.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2127: Sep 04, 2016 02:39:22 am
      Club have made arrangements to get Coutinho back from South American qualifiers close to a day earlier by arranging special flights for Phil. Brazil play on Tuesday in Manaus, which is on the edge of the Amazon Rain Forest.
      Arlen Correa
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 125 posts | 37 
      Reply #2128: Sep 07, 2016 11:04:27 pm
      Great cameo against Colombia; changed the game, made the assist to Neymar victory goal, could have scored twice, the crowd was screaming his name; but the coach Tite said that "he plays on the same position as Neymar"  :mad:..
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,543 posts | 1666 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2129: Sep 16, 2016 07:46:13 pm
      How many times has Cou been the difference in tight games. Hopefully he's coming in fresh and in form and can have the influence on the game that he's capable of.  Cmon Phil, dig another one out of the bag for us...
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2130: Sep 16, 2016 10:58:47 pm
      Opened his assists account for the season
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2131: Sep 17, 2016 12:05:01 am
      Thought he was the poorest outfield player for us, but he has the ability/awareness to conjure moments of magic that'll lead to goal chances, regardless of whether he's playing good or not.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2132: Sep 17, 2016 12:08:31 am
      Thought he was the poorest outfield player for us, but he has the ability/awareness to conjure moments of magic that'll lead to goal chances, regardless of whether he's playing good or not.

Thought he played well enough and was better than Sturridge and Origi for sure. Was linking some good bits of play and thought he was good defensively too because he was tracking back and winning the ball. Something I noticed though, more so in the second half, when we would have bit of a break, there was a fair few times when he was in loads of space in a good position on the edge of the box but the player on the ball either didn't pick their head up and see him or picked the wrong pass.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2133: Sep 17, 2016 12:13:46 am
      Thought he played well enough and was better than Sturridge and Origi for sure.

Oh yeah, I forgot about those 2!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2134: Sep 17, 2016 01:54:36 am
      As poor as Chelsea's defence was for Lovren's goal that whipped cross in from such a long way out was F***ing superb.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #2135: Sep 20, 2016 07:03:23 pm
      I thought he was pretty quiet against Chelsea apart from his assist...apparently not :-

https://twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/776910547002527744
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2136: Sep 25, 2016 01:52:57 pm
      Remember those rent boys who said that Oscar was a better player than Coutinho.

Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #2137: Sep 25, 2016 03:25:27 pm
      Get this boy on a new improved contract, coming through as one of the best in the league
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2138: Sep 25, 2016 04:26:44 pm
      Get this boy on a new improved contract, coming through as one of the best in the league

Really liked him in a more central position.

Not sure many teams will allow him the space afforded to both he and Milner but he used it expertly.

Quick Reply