Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 402150 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho Player Thread
      Reply #1541: Mar 03, 2015 07:02:24 am
      He is a special talent this lad, a pleasure to watch, no doubt we will have the usual rogue clubs sniffing around hoping to sign him.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #1542: Mar 03, 2015 11:54:48 am
      When I think about Cou I wonder:-
      What player is he?
      What player do I want him to be?
      What can he become?
      What WILL he become?

Its all a bit of a mystery. In Spain and Italy he was known for long range shooting, and hailed as a
      "better dribbler than Suarez" when he arrived here.

When he arrived he looked good, but certainly not known for shooting, or ofcourse being a better dribbler than Suarez.

So I wonder how much can/will his shooting, strength and dribbling at pace develop.
      Ofcourse he's refinding his shooting boots. He's still a little light, but improving. And he's also playing more of a number 10 than a blasting down the wing at pace type winger.

So I wonder, will he become a Silva/Modric/Oscar type playmaker ( ie substantially better version of Smicer, Benayoun etc) Or can he enhance another aspect to his game that you can see he naturally loves, but isn't the finished article yet. By that, I mean, can he develop runs to go with the vision. Robben was one player who seemed to develop that aspect in later years. Now I'm sure Cou will always be different to Robben, it would really be the icing on the cake to see Cou bursting from deep, dribbling at pace, then shooting or laying the final ball. Watching his vids in Spain would give an indicator of that side of his game. He showed some incredible skills in that way.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #1543: Mar 03, 2015 12:02:17 pm
      Much of it will depend on how he is used. Last season he was the "4th forward" ie deeper than Sterling, Suarez AND STurridge. So that meant he had to go deep, get stuck in etc.
      Which meant he couldn't do as much eyecatching stuff.

Ultimately I wonder what the plan is. To make him faster, stronger and better shooter. Like how Sanchez, Shaqiri and Aguero filled out. (Aguero in phyisque terms is almost unrecognisable from when he first arrived in Europe). Or whether he will always be a lighter, drifting type brain of a player. With elegant touches ontop. There are a fair number of the latter about. I always think Benayoun/Smicer, who could look elegant... or useless. But there are less of the former category ie the ones who can take the knocks, split defences, beat players with the ball and ultimately score from distance or close in, on a regular basis.

EDIT:
      Two interesting links.
      Pochetino apparently comparing him to Ronaldinho and Messi (would be interesting to see the quote in its entirety..)

And Rodgers compares Cou to Kroos and Modric.

So ultimately, its whether he can be a key supporting cast member, or a star in his own right..

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/media-watch/sky-sports-coutinho-can-be-as-good-as-messi

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/pitchside-europe/philippe-coutinho--good-enough-to-play-for-real-madrid-174626214.html
      « Last Edit: Mar 03, 2015 12:17:56 pm by AmericanPlant »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #1544: Mar 03, 2015 12:09:58 pm
      Goal vs Southampton or goal vs City - which was better in terms of overall technique?

Both so so good!

As the guy said you could have a goal of the month using any of his last 3 goals.
      By the way did our man win goal of the month on MOTD?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1545: Mar 03, 2015 01:07:42 pm
      For those that haven't seen it, this is well worth a read...

The making of Philippe Coutinho: How Liverpool’s Brazilian magician blossomed into a Premier League star

By Adam Bate | Twitter @ghostgoal | Last Updated: 03/03/15 6:53am

After his latest stunning strike against Manchester City on Sunday, Adam Bate looks at how Liverpool’s Philippe Coutinho has unleashed his vast potential on the Premier League in 2015…

It’s been quite a start to 2015 for Philippe Coutinho. After agreeing a new five-and-a-half year deal with Liverpool in February, he curled home a last-minute winner in their FA Cup replay against Bolton the very next day. Exactly one month on and there have been further outrageous strikes to help see off both Southampton and Premier League champions Manchester City.

Amid the understandable excitement, it seems extraordinary that Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher was accusing Coutinho of being “unforgivable, lazy and weak” in the wake of a resounding defeat to Manchester United as recently as December. But while that was an uncharacteristic blemish given that Coutinho was already in good form, it also marked a turning point for both player and club.

The subsequent 11 Premier League matches have brought 27 points – six more than the previous 16 – and that drastic improvement has been mirrored by Coutinho’s increased output too. This run has included three Premier League goals and four assists after contributing only a solitary effort, albeit the dramatic winner against Queens Park Rangers, in his 13 appearances prior to that.

As a result, the significance of Brendan Rodgers’ decision to switch formations that month can hardly be overstated. Rodgers used the 3-4-3 system at Anfield for the first time in the 2-2 draw against Arsenal in December with Coutinho operating on the left of a front three. He was arguably man of the match in a game in which he also opened the scoring.

Fluidity of movement
      After struggling to hit it off with lone forward Rickie Lambert when used as a more traditional No.10 in the previous two home games against Stoke and Sunderland, the opportunity to pick up pockets of space in the left channel has been one he’s relished. With the fluidity of movement back in Liverpool’s game, Coutinho has come into his own.

The 22-year-old seems set to be named the club’s official player of the month for a third successive time and that’s in part due to Rodgers’ tweaking. “Our system has been causing teams problems all year,” said Adam Lallana after the win over City. “The manager said keep patient and find the space.” With Raheem Sterling and Daniel Sturridge fit again, there’s been more of it.

Crucially, as Carragher points out, Coutinho has now got the runners to make that space count by providing penetration. “What he's got now is someone who's looking to penetrate and go behind,” said Carragher. “That's affected Steven Gerrard in that deeper role but earlier on in the season I think it affected Coutinho as well. He didn't have the pass on.”

The through-balls are flowing now. He’s made more than twice as many of them as any team-mate and although Sterling has more assists, it’s Coutinho who has created more clear chances. Like his Liverpool colleague, he ranks among the top five dribblers in the Premier League, with a better completion rate than the England man. He’s become a key weapon for his team.

Of course, it takes time to become an overnight success and for Coutinho that hard work has long been a feature of his game. It’s been evident when asked to occupy a deeper role that his enthusiasm for the dirty work is not typical of what might be expected of a player who is ostensibly a Brazilian playmaker with the No 10 on his back.

“What everybody was saying when he came to the Premier League was that perhaps he was too light,” recalls Spanish football expert and boyhood Espanyol fan Guillem Balague. “But I was convinced – and said so at the time – that he was going to be a success. At Espanyol we hadn’t seen a player who would get the ball in the final third and see gaps that nobody else could find.”

Surprising skill-set
      Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino was the man who took him to Espanyol on loan from Inter on the advice of his right-hand man Ramon Planes and the player responded with five goals in 16 appearances as he settled quickly in Barcelona. Even Pochettino admits he was a little surprised by the skill-set of the player he’d acquired.

“Philippe is a Brazilian player and, as it happens with most Brazilians, he has a special magic in his feet,” said Pochettino. “Aside from the magic that he has, he also has an amazing work rate and that makes us doubt whether he fits the mould of a typical Brazilian player or a European one, because his work ethic is outstanding.

“What is important about him is he is a good lad, a good kid - a great, humble person. I do think Coutinho has that same quality that Ronaldinho and Messi have, but he has much to prove yet. What is really clear to me is that Coutinho is a really responsible player - really dedicated and responsible to his own players.”

Perhaps the surprising blend of qualities that Coutinho now possesses can be explained by the fact that the Brazil international has been exposed to Europe’s three major leagues before turning 21. The old mantra that England is physical, Spain is technical and Italy is tactical would suggest he’s had a unique opportunity to learn and it was a Spaniard well-known to Liverpool who helped him mature during his time in Italy.

“I feel I have improved already in terms of understanding the European game,” Coutinho told The Guardian last season. “Rafa Benitez helped me quite a lot with that when I was at Inter. In Brazil, if you play where I do, you are not expected to track back or defend in any way. You are an attacker and that's it. Only technically are you part of a team.

“When I worked with Rafa he changed that mentality straight away. I became more of a team player rather than an individual, saw the game in a different way and was encouraged to move the ball a bit quicker and look for different passes.  I have to say I think I prefer the European style now. You move faster, think more quickly and are involved in the game more.

Spotlight
      After being under the radar for some time – arguably the least heralded player among Liverpool’s front six on their truncated charge towards the title last season – Coutinho now finds himself firmly in the spotlight. Indulging in what Lallana called “his own goal of the month competition” will do that and Rodgers is ambitious enough to now want more from the man he signed two years ago.

“He joined us for £8.5million,” said the Liverpool boss at the weekend. “It’s frightening to know what he could be worth now. He’s a joy to watch and now he’s started scoring goals. He’s a kid who has so much ahead of him in the game. He’s 22 and people forget he came to us at 19. He is a sensational footballer. His technique is at a high high level, so he’s going to score a lot more goals.”

That’s easy to say but can be trickier to do. And yet, what seems apparent is that although it might have felt like Coutinho’s progress has been staccato-like in its nature, this is a quick learner. He’s adapted his approach to succeed in Europe and then developed further to impress in a number of positions in England. If Rodgers wants goals, Coutinho will find a way.

“I always work hard, but of course there are always things to improve and one of them is to score more goals,” he said in mid-February. “I have been working on that and in my position that is important. That is something I should improve.” He promptly went and rattled in a couple of long-range efforts in his next two Premier League games. The rise of Coutinho might not be over yet.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/15117/9740277/the-making-of-philippe-coutinho-how-liverpool8217s-brazilian-magician-blossomed-into-a-premier-league-star

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #1546: Mar 03, 2015 06:55:11 pm
      It was well worth reading, good to see the praise he gives to Rafa for his development.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1547: Mar 03, 2015 08:19:28 pm
      It was well worth reading, good to see the praise he gives to Rafa for his development.

If Rafa was still Inter manager then Coutinho would still be there IMO. It wasn't until Rafa left that Coutinho got less and less game time which is ridiculous considering the performance he put in. It didn't surprise me to see that though about how in Brazil the attack players only attack and don't bother defending, you can sometimes see that side to him.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #1548: Mar 04, 2015 12:49:36 am
      As the guy said you could have a goal of the month using any of his last 3 goals.
      By the way did our man win goal of the month on MOTD?

Yes, with a whopping 71% of the vote.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #1549: Mar 04, 2015 01:04:55 am
      If Rafa was still Inter manager then Coutinho would still be there IMO. It wasn't until Rafa left that Coutinho got less and less game time which is ridiculous considering the performance he put in. It didn't surprise me to see that though about how in Brazil the attack players only attack and don't bother defending, you can sometimes see that side to him.

What do you mean? One of his best attributes is how he's not afraid to mix it up and track back to defend.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #1550: Mar 04, 2015 07:23:52 am
      Yes, with a whopping 71% of the vote.

The cream rises to the top.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1551: Mar 04, 2015 09:52:29 am
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1552: Mar 04, 2015 02:09:21 pm
      So much deservedly praise for him, they are starting to notice him, via media, fans and ex professionals. We've seen it all before, haven't we? Players buckling under pressure and media putting players high on a pedestal only to knock them down If they play bad.

Hope Coutinho takes the praises with a pitch of salt and carries on working on improving his game even more. The pressure of performing on a high consistent level is mounting, but If he wants to truly become world class, he need not be consumed by past performances, keep his feet firming grounded and work harder than ever!

Keep it up, Coutinho <3
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #1553: Mar 04, 2015 02:29:45 pm
      Kid is a joy to watch & a tip of the hat to Rafa for changing Phillipe's game mentality.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1554: Mar 11, 2015 04:32:19 pm
      Was watching a YT vid (1m+ subs) where the presenters ask people to comment, Ozil or Coutinho, and reading the comments, the majority of outsiders say Ozil is better, how Coutinho is only being lauded because of his 2 wonder goals. Some went as far as saying that Ozil contributes little, but what makes him better is that he has moments of class which can change a game, whereas Coutinho doesn't  :o Then you get the odd idiots bringing up stats trying to justify Ozil being better because his stats are better than Coutinho's.

Do people actually watch games or just base their knowledge via YT clips and stats?
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1555: Mar 11, 2015 04:40:51 pm
      lets be honest he's not surrounded by world class and still manages to raise their game by playing killer passes splitting defences so that players have to run into space, Henderson has improve massivly since Coutinho found form again. and once Lallana cerments a place in the team when Gerrard goes them 3 have goals in them and assists for days. Other playes ahead of Coutinho for Brazil are surrounded by some top international players so have more natural options when passing. Couthino has to create them options out of nothing whilst beating players to make the space and is still so young. as his footballing intelligence grows with experiance and age i have no doubt he will be a world class player on the same level as Neymar, Suarez, Reus etc next season will be exciting as he's only getting better.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1556: Mar 11, 2015 04:42:10 pm
      Was watching a YT vid (1m+ subs) where the presenters ask people to comment, Ozil or Coutinho, and reading the comments, the majority of outsiders say Ozil is better, how Coutinho is only being lauded because of his 2 wonder goals. Some went as far as saying that Ozil contributes little, but what makes him better is that he has moments of class which can change a game, whereas Coutinho doesn't  :o Then you get the odd idiots bringing up stats trying to justify Ozil being better because his stats are better than Coutinho's.

Do people actually watch games or just base their knowledge via YT clips and stats?

cognitive dissonance.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #1557: Mar 11, 2015 04:55:25 pm
      lets be honest he's not surrounded by world class and still manages to raise their game by playing killer passes splitting defences so that players have to run into space, Henderson has improve massivly since Coutinho found form again. and once Lallana cerments a place in the team when Gerrard goes them 3 have goals in them and assists for days. Other playes ahead of Coutinho for Brazil are surrounded by some top international players so have more natural options when passing. Couthino has to create them options out of nothing whilst beating players to make the space and is still so young. as his footballing intelligence grows with experiance and age i have no doubt he will be a world class player on the same level as Neymar, Suarez, Reus etc next season will be exciting as he's only getting better.

Remind me which world class players is Ozil surrounded by to make passes - Wellbeck, Giroud?

The player he is contending with in the national team Oscar can't even get in the Chavs first team!
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1558: Mar 13, 2015 12:37:31 pm
      Remind me which world class players is Ozil surrounded by to make passes - Wellbeck, Giroud?

The player he is contending with in the national team Oscar can't even get in the Chavs first team!
      to be fair Carzola is a top player, Giroud is a top player(wouldnt want him at LFC but still a top player) Sanchez is a top player also. My point is Coutinho has grown and not had the best of options this season to pass to and has become even better by finding space, beating players and even pulling off worldies.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1559: Mar 25, 2015 04:19:16 pm
      Look forward to this, should be good.

'Coutinho: Home from Home' exclusive
      25th Mar 2015 - Latest News

Philippe Coutinho is known as 'The Magician' but how much do you know about the man behind the magic? You can learn much more about Liverpool's No.10 in an exclusive new LFCTV documentary this Friday.

'Coutinho: Home from Home' tells the fascinating story of a young Brazilian who has developed into one of the Barclays Premier League's star performers since making the move to Anfield in January 2013.

His sensational form this season has propelled the 22-year-old further into the spotlight and merely strengthened the appreciation for his efforts on the Kop, where an 'O Magico' banner now proudly sits.

Now, in an in-depth interview recorded at his Liverpool home, Coutinho reveals the sacrifices his family has made to support his journey in the game and explains why football is far more than just a job to him.

The Brazil international's wife, Aine, also lets us in on her husband's most annoying habit and a walk in the park uncovers another of the midfielder's passions - his two pugs, Will and Mel.

'Coutinho: Home from Home' features unseen footage of Coutinho in action plus a special appearance by the legendary Pele, making this brand new programme essential viewing for all Liverpool supporters.

The unmissable, hour-long documentary will premiere on LFCTV HD at 8pm GMT on Friday March 27 and be available on demand via LFCTV GO.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #1560: Mar 25, 2015 09:55:19 pm
      He's only 22? Cripes, we've got ourselves a future worldie don't we.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #1561: Mar 25, 2015 09:58:20 pm
      He's only 22? Cripes, we've got ourselves a future worldie don't we.

Or Barca have  :f_tongueincheek:

Matter of time  >:D
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1769 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1562: Mar 27, 2015 08:00:03 am
      did the wee fella get a game for brazil last night ?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #1563: Mar 27, 2015 08:00:51 am
      did the wee fella get a game for brazil last night ?

Unused sub mate

Quick Reply