Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Playstation 4 Information & Discussion

Read 19562 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Playstation 4 Information & Discussion
      Feb 01, 2013 12:06:56 am
      #PlayStation2013

February 20th.

Update:

With the E3 reveal, Sony have confirmed that the Playstation 4:
      - Will be $100 (£68) cheaper than the XBOne
      - Doesn't require itself to connect to the internet every 24 hours
      - DOES play used games. Full stop.
      - Eliminates the load time on your saved game and allows you to immediately return to where you left off by pressing the power button
      - Has background downloading and updating capability that also allows you to immediately play digital titles as they download, or update the system when the hardware is powered off
      - Lets you instantly share images and videos of your favorite gameplay moments on Facebook with a single press of the "share" button on the DualShock 4 controller
      - Can broadcast while you play in real-time through Ustream, allowing friends to comment or jump into your game in new ways
      - Launches 31st December, 2013

« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2013 09:59:27 am by Reslivo »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Playstation 4?
      Reply #1: Feb 01, 2013 12:24:44 am
      F**k sake i have enough expenses.

Will wait until Christmas for it to drop from $4000 to something a bit cheaper.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #2: Feb 01, 2013 12:58:37 am
      F**k sake i have enough expenses.

Will wait until Christmas for it to drop from $4000 to something a bit cheaper.

4000 Australian Dollars? That's about 80 British Pounds, right?  :P
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3: Feb 01, 2013 01:09:58 am
      Interesting. Very interesting. Always placed my loyalties firmly with Sony and not with Microsoft but I can only hope for a better console next time round with the PS4. That said I guess the PS3 was always going to suffer because PS2 was arguably and still probably is the greatest console ever made.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Feb 01, 2013 01:38:40 am
      I probably should have got the X Box last time round.
      GT5 and Blueray the decision makers in the end.

Will take more time on the next console.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #5: Feb 01, 2013 03:05:39 am
      4000 Australian Dollars? That's about 80 British Pounds, right?  :P

Its hard to hear you over the noise of a strong economy down under ;)

Actually, any plans for a new Xbox?
      Bier
      Reply #6: Feb 01, 2013 11:25:55 am
      Its hard to hear you over the noise of a strong economy down under ;)

Actually, any plans for a new Xbox?

Yep, xbox's specifications are supposed to have leaked:

Playstation is rumoured to have the same CPU, however, it's supposed to have 18 cores and use DDR5. Both xbox and playstation are rumoured to come out later this year, probably just before christmas.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #7: Feb 01, 2013 02:10:01 pm
      Rumour is that GTA V release was pushed back to be the first title released on PS4 and Xbox 720
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,438 posts | 1463 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #8: Feb 01, 2013 04:11:44 pm
      Meh, PC master race! xD

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #9: Feb 03, 2013 11:02:22 am
      How much better can a new generation console be?

I am already very satisfied with the PS3 to be honest.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #10: Feb 03, 2013 11:18:31 am

Much better if the software developers make full use of it, something they've rarely done on the PS3. Obviously the graphics will be even more realistic but the biggest difference in games trends to be with the AI levels, for example in FPS games where characters actively hunt you down, unlike the old school games where they only "saw"you if you walked into their direct line of sight.
      I can't wait to see what they do with the Battlefield series.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,438 posts | 1463 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #11: Feb 03, 2013 11:19:34 am

They can be much better!

If you compare them to PC's! I'll be happy with just true 1080p and solid 60fps etc on the new consoles, the games are starting to show the consoles age now, like Call of Duty Black Ops 2, the graphics are so poor on console! And some games are just unplayable.

One cool thing I read thouh yesterday! Apparently the PS4 will have a share button on the controller which will pretty much record your gameplay and post it to YouTube etc Has a 15 minute gameplay memory too so you dont miss anything, thats pretty neat!

edit: This is why I dont believe PC gaming is expensive, My PC will out last 2 generations of consoles, cost me £900 but the games are much cheaper which brings that total cost down overtime.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #12: Feb 03, 2013 02:47:29 pm
      It's not coming out on 20th Feb, that's just when a LOT of information is going to be revealed.

And GTA V wasn't pushed back to accomodate "next-gen" (they're all sh*t compared to PC anyway) consoles. Because its engine was developed for the current-gen.

Yep, xbox's specifications are supposed to have leaked:

Playstation is rumoured to have the same CPU, however, it's supposed to have 18 cores and use DDR5. Both xbox and playstation are rumoured to come out later this year, probably just before christmas.

Roughly the same specs as the PS4. Apart from the fact the PS4 is rumoured to be using an APU, whereas the nextBox is using a discrete GPU.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,480 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #13: Feb 20, 2013 08:44:03 pm
      Rumoured at under £300 on release.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #14: Feb 20, 2013 11:37:35 pm
      Launch event is ongoing right now. Stream is laggy as hell; but there's a good blog here:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/20/liveblog-sony-playstation-4/
      Bier
      Reply #15: Feb 21, 2013 12:07:17 am
      Watching too, Did they show the console yet? I started watching when they showed Killzone, which looked good. Although I'm not blown away by the graphics so far, looks like high end pc games. And infamous, why even show that footage if theyre not going to show any actual gameplay.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #16: Feb 21, 2013 12:20:43 am
      No console yet, only the logo and controller.

This looks amazing.

The Witness first official gameplay trailer.mp4
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #17: Feb 21, 2013 12:56:01 am
      Sony Unveils Next-Gen PlayStation, PS4

As expected, Sony today unveiled the PlayStation 4, which executives said represents a shift from thinking of the PlayStation as a simply "a box or console" to simply the best place to play games.

"PlayStation 4 will unleash imaginations to create next-gen experiences that surpass gamers' wildest expectations, while also allowing developers to explore other business models," Andrew House, president and Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment, said during a launch event in New York City. The PS4 is "founded on a conviction that we must give gamers the kind of multi-dimensional experiences they expect and observe."

The PS4 runs an x86 processor, as well as an enhanced PC GPU. It will have 8GB of high-speed unified memory, as well as system memory backed by local storage.

The new system will come with a revamped controller, known as the DualShock 4. PS4 architect Mark Cerny said Sony has enhanced the feel of the joystick and the trigger button, which provides a "much tighter sense of control over in-game actions." The company also enhanced the rumble capabilities and reduced controller latency.

A few new features have been added to the controller, including a touchpad, share button, headphone jack, and a lightbar for simpler, more friendly identification of players. A second peripheral, meanwhile, is a stereo camera that can sense the depth of objects in front of it.

That Share button will let players broadcast their games to Facebook in real time, said David Perry, CEO and founder of Gaikai, which Sony purchased last year. That will allow your friends to "look over your shoulders virtually and interact," he said. Friends can post comments on your screen, but if you're stuck on a level or need assistance, a friend can actually take over your controller and guide you through a level.

Sony is "building this capability into the PS4 and the PS Network, so your circle of PSN friends will become that much more important," Perry said.

A partnership with Ustream, meanwhile, will allow for multi-casting, so gamers can schedule a set time and broadcast a game live.

On the PS4 interface, Cerny talked up the use of real names. While aliases will still be available for "when anonymity is important," most of the interactions of the PS4 will be done with friends using real names and profile pictures. PS4 is designed to be "seamlessly interconnected" with your social life.

Apps and Web platforms, meanwhile, will allow for PS4 conversations to be carried "far beyond the living room," Cerny said. "Keep in touch with the evolving world of your game regardless of your location."

To that end, the PS4 will allow for remote play on the PS Vita handheld. "Our long-term goal is to make every PS4 title playable on the Vita," Perry said.

Cerny, meanwhile, stressed personalization; the PS4 "can get to know you and bring you closer to the game and other experiences," he said.
      "Our long-term vision to reduce download times of digital games to zero," Cerny said. "If we know enough about you – that game can be loaded and ready to go before you even click the button."

Perry said that PlayStation cloud services will roll out "in phases, but you can be sure that it and the PS4 will change the way we play."

Sony brought a number of game developers onstage at its event to show off upcoming games for the PS4. Cerny actually developed his own game for the console, dubbed Knack. But other games on tap for the PS4 include Evolution Studio's Driveclub, Sucker Punch's InFAMOUS: Second Son, Killzone: Shadow Fall from Guerrilla Games, and The Witness, from the makers of the Braid puzzle game.

Sony's PlayStation is still going on, so stay tuned for all the latest updates, and follow along with PCMag via @PCMagLive.

For more from Chloe, follow her on Twitter @ChloeAlbanesius.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2415671,00.asp
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #18: Feb 21, 2013 12:56:26 am
      Diablo III is coming to the PS3 and PS4! Awesome.
      Bier
      Reply #19: Feb 21, 2013 01:05:38 am
      Well, that was a bit dissapointing overall for me.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #20: Feb 21, 2013 01:07:12 am
      No console. No price. Coming 'Holiday 2013'
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #21: Feb 21, 2013 08:59:19 am
      And GTA V wasn't pushed back to accomodate "next-gen" (they're all sh*t compared to PC anyway) consoles. Because its engine was developed for the current-gen.

Roughly the same specs as the PS4. Apart from the fact the PS4 is rumoured to be using an APU, whereas the nextBox is using a discrete GPU.

I'm eating my words. Here's what I make of the specs:

- CPU: 8-core x86 processor (based on AMD's Piledriver) -- the x86 architecture means it will be easier for developers to utilise its power, rather than the Playstation 3's old "cell" architecture. x86 is made for gaming.

- RAM: 8GB GDDR5 RAM -- Faster than RAM seen in PCs (DDR3), and 16x more RAM than seen in the Playstation 3 (512MB GDDR3). Expect huge multi-tasking potential, and few-to-no frame-drops.

- GPU: Greater than, or equal to, an Nvidia GeForce GTX 660Ti -- The fact that it's using a current-gen capable of 1.84 Tera-flops says it all. PS4 is looking to be competitive with PCs for a looooong time. And with this GPU, it will be.

The PS4 is going to be an extremely advanced machine that's capable of putting PCs on the ropes for at least a few years. Assuming there are no major breakthroughs in GPU/CPU technology.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Playstation 4 Information & Discussion
      Reply #22: Feb 21, 2013 09:20:53 am
      I'm eating my words. Here's what I make of the specs:

- CPU: 8-core x86 processor (based on AMD's Piledriver) -- the x86 architecture means it will be easier for developers to utilise its power, rather than the Playstation 3's old "cell" architecture. x86 is made for gaming.

- RAM: 8GB GDDR5 RAM -- Faster than RAM seen in PCs (DDR3), and 16x more RAM than seen in the Playstation 3 (512MB GDDR3). Expect huge multi-tasking potential, and few-to-no frame-drops.

- GPU: Greater than, or equal to, an Nvidia GeForce GTX 660Ti -- The fact that it's using a current-gen capable of 1.84 Tera-flops says it all. PS4 is looking to be competitive with PCs for a looooong time. And with this GPU, it will be.

The PS4 is going to be an extremely advanced machine that's capable of putting PCs on the ropes for at least a few years. Assuming there are no major breakthroughs in GPU/CPU technology.

Will PCs moving to SSD have any impact?

Quick Reply