Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Playstation 4 Information & Discussion

Read 19561 times
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Re: Playstation 4 Information & Discussion
      Reply #23: Feb 21, 2013 10:16:40 am
      Will PCs moving to SSD have any impact?

SSDs only help with loading times, i.e. Booting up the Operating System, game loading times. They have no real impact on performance.

Plus SSDs are extremely unreliable as of now. The more you write to one, the less reliable it becomes and there's more chance of it becoming corrupt.

I have two in my PC right now, and they've been fine for about a year but I'm not expecting to get much more life out of them.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #24: Feb 21, 2013 10:30:58 am
      SSDs only help with loading times, i.e. Booting up the Operating System, game loading times. They have no real impact on performance.

Plus SSDs are extremely unreliable as of now. The more you write to one, the less reliable it becomes and there's more chance of it becoming corrupt.

I have two in my PC right now, and they've been fine for about a year but I'm not expecting to get much more life out of them.

I'll swerve them so.
      Have most of my work backed up on a 1TB drive anyway but I don't want to increase the need to do so.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #25: Feb 21, 2013 10:40:20 am
      I'll swerve them so.
      Have most of my work backed up on a 1TB drive anyway but I don't want to increase the need to do so.

Usually SSDs are just used for the OS and games, whereas important stuff that you access frequently, i.e. Movies, heavy files, programs are kept on a storage drive.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #26: Feb 21, 2013 10:46:39 am
      Usually SSDs are just used for the OS and games, whereas important stuff that you access frequently, i.e. Movies, heavy files, programs are kept on a storage drive.

Got you now.
      Probably for a different topic anyway.
      Been looking to get a new computer and was wary of the ones with SSDs.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #27: Feb 21, 2013 11:01:36 am

Headset port in the controller.
      Nice!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #28: Feb 21, 2013 11:16:35 am
      Headset port in the controller.
      Nice!

Like the current Xbox or does it do something else?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #29: Feb 21, 2013 10:24:15 pm
      I'm not ready for this ;D I don't know if the time is right, to be honest. I mean, I'm not sure many game developers ever pushed the PS3 to its full capacity. Maybe that's just me and my hardly-ever-having-time-to-play-games thing though.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #30: Feb 21, 2013 10:38:38 pm
      I'm not ready for this ;D I don't know if the time is right, to be honest. I mean, I'm not sure many game developers ever pushed the PS3 to its full capacity. Maybe that's just me and my hardly-ever-having-time-to-play-games thing though.

Nobody could really push the PS3 because of its cell chip, and the architecture it used. It was a very complicated CPU to make games for.

By going back to x86, Sony have killed two birds with one stone:
      1 - They'll be easier to develop games for
      2 - Any games primarily made for PC can be directly transferred over, fully-functional - rather than a limited (poor-quality) port.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #31: Feb 22, 2013 02:44:50 pm
      Nobody could really push the PS3 because of its cell chip, and the architecture it used. It was a very complicated CPU to make games for.

By going back to x86, Sony have killed two birds with one stone:
      1 - They'll be easier to develop games for
      2 - Any games primarily made for PC can be directly transferred over, fully-functional - rather than a limited (poor-quality) port.

I'll take your word for it Res, I don't know much about chipsets and all that. I only hope Konami can develop a football sim as good as PES 5 again :/
      Bier
      Reply #32: Feb 22, 2013 03:20:03 pm
      As a current xbox user I'm thinking I'm leaning more towards the PS4 for my next console. But I heard that for PS3 users, besides the PS4 not being backwards compatible, games acquired on PSN for PS3 can't be transferred to the PS4 either? That would piss me off.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #33: Feb 22, 2013 03:27:08 pm
      games acquired on PSN for PS3 can't be transferred to the PS4 either?

Sony have confirmed that as true.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #34: Feb 22, 2013 03:32:18 pm
      I have zero brand loyalty, having owned a Playstation, N64, Playstation2, Wii and Xbox 360. I'll just go for which I think is best at the time. I don't regret choosing Xbox this time around because it has a great range of games, better online play and games often play at a higher resolution than the technically superior PS3 anyway. The failed HD v blu-ray battle was only a hit initially, now it means very little due to the cost of blu-ray players.
      It's up to you, Sony, wow me! (Then I'll buy one in a couple of years time when I can afford it, haha).

Res, have you heard much about the Steam console? My mate was banging on about it but I'm not too sure where the market is for it. After all, it's mainly PC users that trust Steam the most so I don't see why they'd switch to console gaming.
      Bier
      Reply #35: Feb 22, 2013 04:11:43 pm
      The main thing why I preferred the xbox 360 over the PS3 initially was because xbox live was alot better than PSN. But PSN has matured and xbox live kind of stagnated. Also I much preferred xbox 360's interface over PS3's, but the PS4's looks better from what I could see. And any game publisher will tell you that xbox live arcade has become very hard to get published on and very expensive, and some small gamepublishers are reluctant to patch or update their games because of the cost involved. And this when the PS4 is supposedly going to have a relatively open platform for developers to publish their games on. Guess it depends if Microsoft will continue xbox live as it is, which I kind of expect them to do but hope they wont.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #36: Feb 28, 2013 12:43:01 pm
      On the subject of PS4, Battlefield 4 is going to be a "next-gen" only release.

Latest screenshot:
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #37: Apr 04, 2013 10:07:24 am
      Sony have really impressed me with what they've released so far.

I don't expect it to be released in Europe or Australia until 2014 though.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #38: Apr 04, 2013 10:09:52 am
      On the subject of PS4, Battlefield 4 is going to be a "next-gen" only release.

Latest screenshot:

Ooooh Aliens! About F***ing time.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #39: Jun 13, 2013 10:00:27 am
      OP Updated.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #40: Jun 21, 2013 06:04:59 pm
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #41: Nov 03, 2013 12:34:19 pm
      Soooo...
      A couple of weeks before this is out in the US and less than a month until we can get it in the UK.

What game(s) are you getting with it at release?

Originally I was going to get Battlefield 4 as I'm a fan of the series but I've decided to get that on PC so don't want to pay £50 for a game I've already got on another platform.

With Watchdogs and Drive Club now pushed back, the release title lineup isn't actually that strong (imho).

Assassins Creed : Black Flag LOOKS great but I've fallen for that twice and found the games (AC1 & AC2) to be repetitive and boring beyond the first week of playing.

Killzone : Shadowfall looks like a decent FPS but I've never been a fan of that futuristic style and can't help comparing all shooters to Battlefield.

Call of Duty : Ghosts looks like every other CoD, as you'd expect.

inFamous Second Son looks like it might be more style over substance and could get tiresome quickly.

I'm now tempted to go for FIFA 14. Ok so, like CoD it's just an evolution of a series but I haven't owned one since 11 and the next gen version looks fantastic.

What are your thoughts?
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #42: Nov 08, 2013 01:59:35 am
      I've had my launch PS4 preordered since E3 and am really excited for it. At launch I'll be getting:
      - Watchdogs Assassin's Creed 4. The AC series is one of my favourites and the graphics look great on next-gen.
      - Fifa 14. Well, it's Fifa.
      - COD Ghosts. Not excited at all for this but I want to have something to play online and I sucked at BF3, so it'd be the same for BF4.
      - Extra controller.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #43: Dec 01, 2013 03:04:16 pm
      Soooo... who else has a PS4 then?

My missus pre-ordered me a PS4 + extra controller and I pre-ordered FIFA and they both came on Friday  ;D
      We went shopping yesterday and stood looking at the games when she agreed that I should buy myself Killzone Shadowfall so I don't get bored of FIFA, haha!

Going from FIFA14 demo on the Xbox 360 to this next gen version, the leap is very noticeable. The players move differently and both the look and sound of the crowds is excellent.

Never played a Killzone game before but enjoying this so far. I'm not generally a fan of futuristic FPS games such as Halo but this isn't too daft. Not too sure about the controls though, takes a bit of getting used to. Haven't played multiplayer yet, I'll wait until I'm back at my house where the connection is much quicker.

As for the console, great looking and extremely quiet. Never liked the fiddly PS controllers but I have to say they've done a great job with this one. Probably still prefer the Xbox one for FPS but the gap between them isn't so big now.

My PSN ID is zT_Kiriyama
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #44: Dec 01, 2013 04:07:08 pm
      How much is a PS4 in the UK?
      The price in Brazil is absolutely ridiculous. We know in the US it costs US$400 but here it's R$4.000 (closer to US$2.000)!!!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #45: Dec 01, 2013 04:35:37 pm
      How much is a PS4 in the UK?
      The price in Brazil is absolutely ridiculous. We know in the US it costs US$400 but here it's R$4.000 (closer to US$2.000)!!!

That's insane!
      For the console including a single controller, it equates to around US$570 here.

Quick Reply