Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Jamie Carragher To Retire At The End Of The Season

Read 16379 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Feb 07, 2013 12:48:15 pm
      LFC statement on Jamie Carragher
      Jamie Carragher has today announced that he is to leave Liverpool Football Club at the end of the season and will be retiring from football.

The Reds defender has enjoyed a glittering career at Anfield, having joined the club's youth system aged nine before going on to make his first-team debut in January 1997 against Middlesbrough. He has subsequently made more than 700 senior appearances for Liverpool, winning a host of major honours. He is second only to Ian Callaghan in club's all-time appearance table.

The 35-year-old has made the announcement this week to end speculation surrounding his future.

He will continue to concentrate his efforts on helping Brendan Rodgers' side achieve success in the Barclays Premier League this season and the on-going Europa League campaign.

Carragher said: "This will be my last season at Liverpool and my last as a professional footballer.

"I'm making this announcement now because I don't want the manager or the club to be answering questions on my future when I've already decided what I am going to do.

"I will be fully committed between now and the end of the season to doing the very best for Liverpool Football Club, as I've done my entire career since joining aged just nine-years-old.

"It has been a privilege and an honour to represent this great club for as long as I have and I am immensely proud to have done so and thankful for all the support I have had. There are many memories I want to share and people to thank, but now is not the time for that.

"I won't be making any further comment on this decision until the end of the season; all our focus and concentration should be on achieving the best possible finish in the league this season and trying to win the last remaining trophy we are competing in."

Liverpoolfc.com and LFC TV will be producing a special tribute to Jamie Carragher to be broadcast upon his retirement at the end of the season, featuring an extensive interview with the man himself reflecting on his illustrious career.

Official website

:'(
      « Last Edit: Feb 07, 2013 01:49:48 pm by Bpatel »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1: Feb 07, 2013 12:51:51 pm
      I think it deserves its own topic...

One of the greatest servants in the history of the club, a true legend and one of my heroes.

LFC statement on Jamie Carragher
      Jamie Carragher has today announced that he is to leave Liverpool Football Club at the end of the season and will be retiring from football.

The Reds defender has enjoyed a glittering career at Anfield, having joined the club's youth system aged nine before going on to make his first-team debut in January 1997 against Middlesbrough. He has subsequently made more than 700 senior appearances for Liverpool, winning a host of major honours. He is second only to Ian Callaghan in club's all-time appearance table.

The 35-year-old has made the announcement this week to end speculation surrounding his future.

He will continue to concentrate his efforts on helping Brendan Rodgers' side achieve success in the Barclays Premier League this season and the on-going Europa League campaign.

Carragher said: "This will be my last season at Liverpool and my last as a professional footballer.

"I'm making this announcement now because I don't want the manager or the club to be answering questions on my future when I've already decided what I am going to do.

"I will be fully committed between now and the end of the season to doing the very best for Liverpool Football Club, as I've done my entire career since joining aged just nine-years-old.

"It has been a privilege and an honour to represent this great club for as long as I have and I am immensely proud to have done so and thankful for all the support I have had. There are many memories I want to share and people to thank, but now is not the time for that.

"I won't be making any further comment on this decision until the end of the season; all our focus and concentration should be on achieving the best possible finish in the league this season and trying to win the last remaining trophy we are competing in."

Liverpoolfc.com and LFC TV will be producing a special tribute to Jamie Carragher to be broadcast upon his retirement at the end of the season, featuring an extensive interview with the man himself reflecting on his illustrious career.

Official website
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Re: Jamie Carragher To Retire At The End Of The Season
      Reply #2: Feb 07, 2013 12:52:18 pm
      Sad news.

Terrific player.

Knocked me for six this one.  :O(

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/lfc-statement-on-jamie-carragher
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3: Feb 07, 2013 12:52:45 pm
      Get the coaching badges in Carra.
      Legend.
      « Last Edit: Feb 07, 2013 01:20:37 pm by racerx34 »
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,627 posts | 128 
      Re: Re: Jamie Carragher Player Thread
      Reply #4: Feb 07, 2013 12:54:29 pm
      Credit to Jamie! Always gave everything for this club on and off the pitch!
      True legend!

But....  it is sad :(
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #5: Feb 07, 2013 12:54:37 pm
      LEGEND !!!

YNWA !!!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #6: Feb 07, 2013 12:55:10 pm
      Quite surprised he didn't stay on for another year to be honest.

Will miss the man so much, hope he's back coaching soon.

True legend.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #7: Feb 07, 2013 12:59:22 pm
      Pretty stunned at that, player / coach role seemed to fit perfectly and made so much sense. This doesn't seem to add up to me?!?
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #8: Feb 07, 2013 12:59:54 pm
      Gutted. Still our best defender. Legend YNWA Carra.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #9: Feb 07, 2013 01:01:32 pm
      Get the coaching badges is Carra.
      Legend.

Hope so Racer, really do. Would be crazy to let this kind of experience just walk out the door, what a legend he's been.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #10: Feb 07, 2013 01:04:00 pm
      As the old saying goes  "The apple never fall to farfromthe tree" .I can see Carra being offered somthing at the club, it may have already been offered hence the rash decision! YNWA
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,709 posts | 162 
      Reply #11: Feb 07, 2013 01:04:33 pm
      Living legend. Thanks for everything. Reckon he might just keep his place for the remainder of the season.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #12: Feb 07, 2013 01:05:33 pm
      Gutted that this day has come

One of my all time favourites.
      An utter legend of this football club
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,183 posts | 526 
      • At the end of the storm, thereā€™s a golden sky.
      Reply #13: Feb 07, 2013 01:06:47 pm
      Bit unexpected for me, I am a bit shocked to be honest, I know he is not getting any younger but I thought/hoped that he'll be in the team for at least a year or so, as a back up to the younger lads.

What to say, he is a living legend, a true servant to the club, I am proud and privileged  to have watched him play in the past 13 years in my club, great news that he wants to be involved in the club after he retires.

YNWA Carra
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #14: Feb 07, 2013 01:08:07 pm
      Wow

Really thought he'd give another season and then maybe move to finish is career playing regularly at a lower league team..

Where do ye start what can you say. Hes been our Stevie G at the back for years, while Stevie often got plaudits for his heroics this fella was doing equally as important stuff at the back.

Im really stuck for words right now. Hopefully he gets an instant role in the club be mad to waste his passion and knowledge or worse let another club benefit from it.

Wow
      Sgt_Hard
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts |
      Reply #15: Feb 07, 2013 01:09:33 pm
      Thanks for the memories, Jamie!
      davepolo
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | -1 
      • taught English by AZ, grAmmEr schooL fAiLure
      Reply #16: Feb 07, 2013 01:10:41 pm
      So sad to see him go much needed in dressing room and on pitch.
      Hope to see him given job within the club
      KoPiTee
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 911 posts | 19 
      Reply #17: Feb 07, 2013 01:17:42 pm
      Really sad day to here this news
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #18: Feb 07, 2013 01:22:46 pm
      I will savour every minute I see the great man play, not that I have ever slated him off in any way. I have thought about this with Stevie G's couple of belters the past week or two, he has a couple good seasons left yet I think, but we should cherish these two men and appreciate them while they're here.

Is he leaving LFC, then? As in not immediately steeping into some kind of assistant role? Or is that just an assumed heading?
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #19: Feb 07, 2013 01:25:39 pm
      Fair play to him for bowing out at his time of choosing. A one club legend.

Want him back at Melwood as a coach though as soon as he has had a proper rest and wants to come back to the club
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,183 posts | 526 
      • At the end of the storm, thereā€™s a golden sky.
      Reply #20: Feb 07, 2013 01:26:36 pm
      Freelance journalist ā€@indykaila
      Liverpool Football Club open talks with Jamie Carragher regarding new contract. Jamie Carragher has requested a player/coach role #LFC
      From the player thread.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #21: Feb 07, 2013 01:26:52 pm
      Fair play to him for bowing out at his time of choosing. A one club legend.

Want him back at Melwood as a coach though as soon as he has had a proper rest and wants to come back to the club
      Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #22: Feb 07, 2013 01:27:29 pm
      Really sad news, a true legend and easily deserved to play at least into next season.
      Always put his body on the line for the club, he wont be (if at all) easily replaced.
      Thanks for everything Jamie, and I hope to see you soon in some role at your club. YNWA

Quick Reply