Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Jamie Carragher To Retire At The End Of The Season

Read 16462 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Re: Jamie Carragher To Retire At The End Of The Season
      Reply #115: Feb 10, 2013 03:01:08 pm
      Oh no the Mirror are reporting that the Labour Party want Carra to be there newest recruit

Don't whether this is a joke, but comes from the Labour heartland of Bootle, so not surprised.

If he does go to sky, I imagine he'll be the only pundit with the balls to get into a proper footy argument with Souness!!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #116: Feb 10, 2013 04:56:41 pm
      Gerrard: I wanted another year
      Steven Gerrard already knew that Jamie Carragher was planning to announce his retirement from football at the end of the season – and has revealed the lengths he went to in an effort to change his friend's mind.

The 35-year-old's decision was confirmed on Thursday, signalling the end of a glittering career for the Bootle native at Anfield which has included 723 appearances in a Liverpool jersey.

Reds captain Gerrard admitted that he knew this day was coming and he tried everything in his power to encourage the Liverpool vice-captain to stay a season longer.

"I've known a little bit longer than other people. I've tried just as hard as everyone else to try to keep him going for a bit longer," the skipper told Liverpoolfc.com.

"But we have to respect his decision. He's had a fantastic career and he feels it's the right time to go out, at the end of the season.

"Hopefully there are still some big performances left in him before he goes.

"I could go on for a long time about him. People mention him alongside the likes of Hansen and Lawrenson, the best defenders that this club has ever had.

"For me, if he's not alongside them he's a little bit above them. That's the biggest compliment I can pay him.

"He's a wonderful player - at his peak, for two or three seasons he was one of the best defenders in the world."

Carragher approached his captain about the subject before announcing his retirement - and although the centre-back ultimately stood by his own decision, Gerrard is happy to respect it.

The midfielder added: "He bounced a few things off me, but he's made the decision himself along with his family.

"He's basically taken no notice of what I said because I was trying for him to push on for another year.

"At times this season it has been difficult for him, not being a regular starter - because he has been a starter since he made his debut. I can respect and understand his decision; we're all going to come to that moment in our careers.

"It's sad for me - I'm going to miss him more than anyone. It's going to be different for me, not having him alongside me as a vice-captain. It's tough.

"Everyone knows what we're going to miss on the playing side. Since I made my debut Jamie has been alongside me in the dressing room and been a close mate of mine.

"He has been through the journey with me as well. I've bounced a lot of things off him, highs and lows, and we've come through it all together.

"It's going to be different and no-one is going to miss Jamie more than me."

Carragher's statement arrived at a time when the No.23 has re-established himself in the Liverpool starting line-up, turning in archetypal performances at Arsenal and Manchester City.

Such was the level of his play in those Barclays Premier League fixtures, Gerrard considers them as a perfect microcosm of the defender's career.

"You've seen in his last couple of performances against Arsenal and City, he has brought leadership into the back four," Gerrard concluded.

"He organises, he's a big voice and he's played very well. His last two performances have typified his career. He has come back in, hasn't played much of late and has been one of our best players."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/gerrard-i-wanted-another-year
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #117: Feb 12, 2013 10:13:26 pm
      Top man, went from midfielder, to utility man to world class centre back.  Always 100% and a boss penalty taker to boot.

Thanks Jamie and best of luck with what you choose to do next.  Maybe the club (if they value you) will keep you on in some capacity.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #118: Feb 14, 2013 10:55:39 am
      Liverpool Legend

What i've always loved about Jaime is his unaffected attitude.
      Typical of Jaime is the way he arrives at training most days all the
      other players rock up in there blacked out Panamericas or Cayennes

Jaime gets dropped off by his mate in his Mondeo cab!!
      The man's a trooper i'd have him in the trenches with me anyday..

GOOD LUCK JAIME LAD COME BACK SOON.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #119: Feb 14, 2013 03:34:39 pm
      Carragher will be sadly missed. He became a great Liverpool player through intelligence and hard work. He wasn't born with superb talent as a footballer but like Gary Neville he learned the game, had great character and heart and became a reliable and top quality centre back. He was world class for a few years and proved his quality against the best in the Champions League.

A genuine Liverpool legend I wish had stayed on for another year.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #120: Feb 15, 2013 09:20:21 am
      Sorry Jamie.  With our hectic playing schedule and my job I couldn't drop in to say thanks for all the things you've done and thanks for all the things you've also done for the things that we may not know you have done.

Only good things will be remembered of this noble man with humble background.  Hope its not bye for awhile still and you continue to part of the special boot room.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #121: Feb 15, 2013 05:34:16 pm
      Just wondering Jamie, any chance you fancy becoming a defensive coach? I know a club in red that are in dire need of one - you won't have to travel and there's plenty of work...have a think about and let me know.

Yours sincerely

Brendan
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #122: Feb 18, 2013 12:24:19 am
      He's been fantastic again for us , just wondering would he consider doing a giggs and scholes and come back for another shot .
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #123: Feb 18, 2013 12:44:53 am
      Would rather see Jamie go out with us needing him, rather than just some player that once had it but now it's gone. Befitting of his illustrious career, but leaves us very short handed in defence.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #124: Feb 18, 2013 01:15:22 am
      Would rather see Jamie go out with us needing him, rather than just some player that once had it but now it's gone. Befitting of his illustrious career, but leaves us very short handed in defence.

Absolutely. The true legends always left you wanting that little bit more and boy is that going to be the case with Jamie. I don't doubt that there will be lots of tears come the end of the season.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #125: Feb 18, 2013 08:19:57 am
      Would it be surprise to see him as our Manager within 5 years?
      Probably not..
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #126: Feb 18, 2013 11:25:09 am
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #127: Feb 18, 2013 12:17:36 pm
      Typical Carra, turned down the second pen, I want a 30 yard screamer in his last match.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #128: Feb 22, 2013 04:52:08 pm
      Needs to rethink this
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,184 posts | 527 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #129: Aug 21, 2013 08:37:43 pm
      Few days ago I watched a video on YouTube of our Jamie analyzing the Arsenal - Villa game on Sky Sports together with ratboy. The first time for me since I don't have Sky Sports here and I was pleasantly surprised by him, it was a bit strange seeing him all suited up, working on some weird gadgets and stuff, but he was pretty good, very natural in front of the camera, talking what he best knows, football. He seemed like he enjoyed it and I'm glad for him, as long as he doesn't forget that he has to come back to us one day and be our manager.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #130: Aug 21, 2013 09:43:39 pm
      Few days ago I watched a video on YouTube of our Jamie analyzing the Arsenal - Villa game on Sky Sports together with ratboy. The first time for me since I don't have Sky Sports here and I was pleasantly surprised by him, it was a bit strange seeing him all suited up, working on some weird gadgets and stuff, but he was pretty good, very natural in front of the camera, talking what he best knows, football. He seemed like he enjoyed it and I'm glad for him, as long as he doesn't forget that he has to come back to us one day and be our manager.

I think he and Neville will make a great punditry team. Would rival ITV's great team of Dixon, Keane and Southgate. Just a real shame they work for Sky. Really enjoyed Carra as part of the ITV Euro 2012 team so he'll do just well on Sky.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #131: Aug 23, 2013 07:39:55 am
      Good to see Carra back at Anfield watching the lads against Stoke.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6696 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #132: Oct 10, 2014 01:09:39 pm

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4980 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #133: Oct 10, 2014 04:17:40 pm
      Your at the right place Jamie,  stay a while and coach our defence, your welcome to use the gym at melwood after training   ;D

YNWA
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #134: Oct 10, 2014 05:46:48 pm
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #135: Oct 10, 2014 06:40:22 pm

I have, although not the whole way there  :D
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #136: Oct 10, 2014 09:10:30 pm
      Been guilty in the past driving to an ex's house without thinking but that's a classic by Carra :D
      MsGerrard
      Reply #137: Oct 10, 2014 10:02:16 pm
      kwalitieeee Jamie lad....  ;D ;D

Quick Reply