Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Favourite Live

Read 15974 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,101 posts | 4866 
      Favourite Live
      Feb 14, 2013 11:21:10 pm
      Just a thread for your favourite live performances from bands you like or even songs from bands you don't but just sound better when you've heard them live.

Now I'm sure there will be more explosive, exciting and better ones posted in here, and I might have a few myself, but I wanted to start with the one below.

For me it's the best performance from one of the band's most famous song for a couple of reasons.

The crowd are fantastic, it's my favourite arrangement of the song and better than the recorded version and lastly the emotion shown by Noel at the end.

Enjoy.

Noel Gallagher - Emotional version of Dont Look Back in Anger - Live
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Favourite Live
      Reply #1: Feb 14, 2013 11:55:14 pm
      Ahh great thread si! And I can't argue with your choice of Noel Gallagher. Saw that video a couple of years back and its still the most legendary performance of DLBIA in the life of that song. Strange as it comes right at the end of Oasis's career and not in the usual manic venues they performed across Britain. Saw him perform it in Glasgow last year and it was an immense moment as was his whole show.

I unashamedly enjoy the big moments from an act's live set so for me it's easily the one below. All I Want Is You is a song I like but not as much as Where The Streets Have No Name which I think is the best song I have ever heard live. The way the band segue into Streets is amazing but nothing is more amazing than Bono's stunning vocals! The intro of Where The Streets Have No Name still gives me goosebumps and it's just one of those songs that liberates your spirit!

U2 - All I Want Is You & Where The Streets Have No Name (Live From Slane Castle)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,101 posts | 4866 
      Reply #2: Feb 15, 2013 12:08:08 am
      Great choice FMS.

All I Want Is You was our wedding song so always like that and another I seem to prefer the live versions of. I wanted to go to the Slane U2 concert but didn't get tickets.

You're right about going into Streets. Around 4.59-5.00 in.

Electric.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,101 posts | 4866 
      Reply #3: Feb 15, 2013 12:13:14 am
      Another favourite of mine.

Great band, great song and the Boss.

What more do you need?

The Gaslight Anthem & Bruce Springsteen - The '59 Sound
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #4: Feb 15, 2013 10:50:37 am

Was at that ^^^  Si.  8)

This track (live) is always F***ing awesome and if you ever get the chance to be part of the crowd... you'll get what I mean.

Less Than Jake: All My Best Friends Are Metalheads (LIVE)

And imagine being part of this experience? ...   ;)  :o

fun loving criminals scooby snacks live glastonbury

Best ever.....  :action-smiley-035:

Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #5: Feb 15, 2013 10:59:19 am
      fun loving criminals scooby snacks live glastonbury

Best ever.....  :action-smiley-035:

Saw FLC doing Scooby Snacks back in the day but not at Glasto, it was at Reading. I remember agreeing with my mates that they were far better live than we expected. It helped that they played in the early evening when the sun was beating down and everybody was half-pissed and in holiday mode but it was a great experience. One reason I wish we had camera phones back then was that we ended up dancing to Scooby Snacks in the Bacardi tent... with the band! Surreal and brilliant.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #6: Feb 15, 2013 11:08:04 am
      I remember agreeing with my mates that they were far better live than we expected.
      Without a doubt mate. There are quite a few acts like that in fact... (sound better live than in studio). I can think of quite a few but the thread could get cluttered up real quick.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,101 posts | 4866 
      Reply #7: Feb 15, 2013 11:16:45 am

Jealous mate as I've been looking to see Gaslight for a while now and it just hasn't worked out.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #8: Feb 15, 2013 11:37:20 am
      This is possibly my favorite youtube video ever... from one of the greatest punk rock bands of all time, playing the song of a genius like Bob Marley.

Stiff Little Fingers - Johnny Was (live 1980)

I'm a big fan of this interpretation of "I Spy" from Pulp - Jarvis Cocker is an amazing front man.

Pulp - I Spy

I still can't believe I missed Arcade Fire concert in Rio when they came over... they're boss live! This is one of their best songs, fantastic performance as well.

WAKE UP - THE ARCADE FIRE - GLASTONBURY 2007

Love the next video mainly because of Loz, Ride's drummer. I absolutely love his contribution to Ride's songs, the most underrated drummer of all. The sound of this video actually isn't that good, unfortunately.

Ride - Vapour Trail (Live in Madrid 92')

Marvin Gaye at his very best!

Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On live in Montreux 1980

Van, the man... with The Band! Just couldn't get any better. Gotta love this man's voice and passion singing this brilliant song.

The Last Waltz - Van Morrison - Caravan
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #9: Feb 15, 2013 06:06:16 pm
      Ahh great thread si! And I can't argue with your choice of Noel Gallagher. Saw that video a couple of years back and its still the most legendary performance of DLBIA in the life of that song. Strange as it comes right at the end of Oasis's career and not in the usual manic venues they performed across Britain. Saw him perform it in Glasgow last year and it was an immense moment as was his whole show.

I unashamedly enjoy the big moments from an act's live set so for me it's easily the one below. All I Want Is You is a song I like but not as much as Where The Streets Have No Name which I think is the best song I have ever heard live. The way the band segue into Streets is amazing but nothing is more amazing than Bono's stunning vocals! The intro of Where The Streets Have No Name still gives me goosebumps and it's just one of those songs that liberates your spirit!

U2 - All I Want Is You & Where The Streets Have No Name (Live From Slane Castle)

Glad you posted this up mate, it's my choice too.  As you say Edge's solo intro is just absolutely awesome. 

I've seen U2 live on their last tour but have some of their previous tours on dvd, the Slane Castle one is my favourite.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,101 posts | 4866 
      Reply #10: Feb 15, 2013 06:15:18 pm
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #11: Feb 15, 2013 08:34:55 pm
      Glad you posted this up mate, it's my choice too.  As you say Edge's solo intro is just absolutely awesome. 

I've seen U2 live on their last tour but have some of their previous tours on dvd, the Slane Castle one is my favourite.

I agree debs - Slane Castle is my favourite as well. The first dvd I bought was their Zoo TV Live From Sydney from 1993 and I was absolutely blown away with it. Heard a lot of great things said about that tour and I can see why. It was stunning! Slane Castle is just incredible though. The set list is amazing and the crowd and setting are incredible. Plus it was held on the day of the funeral of Bono's dad so it definitely had that extra personal feel to it.

Like Diego's Arcade Fire choice as well. Saw them in Edinburgh in 2011 and you really got a sense of what a tight knit act they are. Si's choice is brilliant as well. Amazing song.

Si posted Oasis earlier on but I forgot that I absolutely love this performance. Both Gallagher brothers in their element.

Oasis Supersonic (Live at Wembley 2000)
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #12: Feb 15, 2013 08:50:54 pm
      Going to see this guy a week tonight at the famous Glasgow Barrowlands. A blast from my past - a guy and his bands (Friends Again and Love & Money) that I grew up with and some of my early gig going. Love his voice and the pain it conveys - nowhere near cool enough for some of you pups  :lmao:

James Grant & Karen Matheson - I Dont Know You Anymore
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,959 posts | 3943 
      Reply #13: Feb 15, 2013 09:22:32 pm
      REM take some beating as a live band, might be the tech improvements but they compare more than favourably to some of the bands years ago we saw live.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #14: Feb 16, 2013 12:14:21 am

What more do you need?

The Gaslight Anthem & Bruce Springsteen - The '59 Sound

That's so cool! I'm in love with that video. Thank you very much for posting.
      Speke Up Redmen
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 68 posts |
      • I wear a jesters hat in the Kop like a whopper!!
      Reply #15: Feb 16, 2013 01:32:57 am

Quite agree with you that hearing Where The Streets Have No Name live really does give me goosebumps.

When I first saw them on the Vertigo tour in 2005 at Twickenham I thought that version couldn't get any better that was until I saw them in 2009 at Wembley Stadium on the 360o Tour when Bono sang YNWA as the intro leading into the song. My mate looked at me as the song kicked in and said 'you've got tears in your eyes' to which I replied 'really? I wonder why that is' but he knew why. Amazing band live especially in a stadium.

Best indoor live gig and band i've seen though has to be Kasabian especially on there last tour in 2011 at the Echo Arena. The way they perform is brillant and when they finish up with Fire i've honestly never been in a crowd like it before for how the place was bouncing from the foundations upwards. Definately worth seeing if you do get the chance!!!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #16: Feb 16, 2013 02:05:27 am
      I've just changed my opinion about what is the best video on youtube... it's obviously this one:

Springsteen - Lost in the Flood

Wow. Just wow. Seriously. Watch this. Watch all of this. Best performance ever.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,959 posts | 3943 
      Reply #17: Feb 16, 2013 09:50:20 am
      Quite agree with you that hearing Where The Streets Have No Name live really does give me goosebumps.

When I first saw them on the Vertigo tour in 2005 at Twickenham I thought that version couldn't get any better that was until I saw them in 2009 at Wembley Stadium on the 360o Tour when Bono sang YNWA as the intro leading into the song. My mate looked at me as the song kicked in and said 'you've got tears in your eyes' to which I replied 'really? I wonder why that is' but he knew why. Amazing band live especially in a stadium.

Best indoor live gig and band i've seen though has to be Kasabian especially on there last tour in 2011 at the Echo Arena. The way they perform is brillant and when they finish up with Fire i've honestly never been in a crowd like it before for how the place was bouncing from the foundations upwards. Definately worth seeing if you do get the chance!!!

Saw Kasabian last year in Dubai, had to travel miles out of town to some kind of stadium in the desert, the band themselves were top drawer, really excellent performance and as you say they really stir the crowd up.
      Whenever I hear Pink Floyd doing Fearless my hair feels like it's standing up and I get a charge up and down my spine when YNWA breaks out at the end, compliments of the Kop of course.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,101 posts | 4866 
      Reply #18: Feb 16, 2013 10:29:14 am
      That's so cool! I'm in love with that video. Thank you very much for posting.

No problem mate!

Gaslight are a great band if you haven't heard much of them try and check them out.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #19: Feb 16, 2013 01:49:28 pm
      No problem mate!

Gaslight are a great band if you haven't heard much of them try and check them out.

I have heard a bit of them but probably not as much as I should. That's a good shout.

Oh, and people, seriously, go watch that Bruce Springsteen video I posted. That's what I call a real, truly great, f***in awesome performance. So much emotion in his voice; powerful lyrics as well.

In fact, this whole concert (Springsteen @ Hammersmith Odeon in 1975) is absolutely brilliant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwBGSS63B2o
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8428 
      Reply #20: Feb 16, 2013 03:48:29 pm
      I have heard a bit of them but probably not as much as I should. That's a good shout.

Oh, and people, seriously, go watch that Bruce Springsteen video I posted. That's what I call a real, truly great, f***in awesome performance. So much emotion in his voice; powerful lyrics as well.

In fact, this whole concert (Springsteen @ Hammersmith Odeon in 1975) is absolutely brilliant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwBGSS63B2o

Our Ste went to see him earlier this year in Manchester, said he's still F***ing awesome.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #21: Feb 16, 2013 04:40:00 pm
      Our Ste went to see him earlier this year in Manchester, said he's still f**king awesome.

He's coming to Brazil this year, gonna play on Rock in Rio. Haven't got tickets yet but definitely will. Can't wait for that, all videos I watch of him live are truly awesome.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #22: Feb 16, 2013 09:26:54 pm
      Going to see Bruce later this year. Cannot wait. His back catalogue is just incredible. He never lets up in quality.

Quick Reply