Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Help a journalist out - what does YNWA mean to you?

Read 4241 times
      Scott129
      • On Trial
      • Started Topic

• 2 posts |
      Help a journalist out - what does YNWA mean to you?
      Feb 26, 2013 07:14:30 pm
      Hi guys!

My name's Scott McIver and I run a blog about music in football called "Songs Of The Stands".

I'm currently doing a piece about Liverpool F.C. (and "You'll Never Walk Alone") and would love to get some opinions from true fans.

So if it's not too much trouble, can I get you to reply with a sentence of what you think about the song, a favourite memory or anything else you want to share. If you can also give me your first name, age and whereabouts you're from, that would be fantastic as well.

Thanks in advance,

Scott
      « Last Edit: Feb 28, 2013 01:34:43 pm by JD »
      Scott129
      • On Trial
      • Started Topic

• 2 posts |
      Re: Help a journalist out!
      Reply #1: Feb 27, 2013 08:33:29 pm
      Bump. Could really use the help guys!  :)
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,382 posts | 3392 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2: Feb 28, 2013 10:55:58 am
      A song that always brings a lump to my throat as well as goosepimples, whether i'm at home or at the match, to be honest at times when we're one goal up and defending at the song starts I find myself saying 'we haven't won yet' and 'put those F***ing flags and scarfs down'. What i especially love is in a peverse way when the team is losing and the fans still sing the song. My name is neil and i'm 40 and i'm an alcho..oops orry and i'm from Plymouth.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #3: Feb 28, 2013 11:03:22 am
      When I hear it, it's split in to both happy and sad thoughts. It reminds me of the joys of Istanbul, the treble-winning '01 season and the "never say die" attitude. On the other hand, it also brings to mind the tragedies of Hillsborough, Heysel and even Munich.

It's an emotional song, and regardless of the circumstances I'm always proud to sing and hear it - and especially to hear other teams such as Celtic, Twente, Dortmund and Monchengladbach singing it.

Gary, 25, Kent.
      « Last Edit: Feb 28, 2013 11:35:57 am by Reslivo »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8519 
      Re: Help a journalist out - what does YNWA mean to you?
      Reply #4: Feb 28, 2013 02:39:23 pm
      Just YNWA, what about Poor Scouser Tommy or Liverbird Upon MY Chest or even Fields of Anfield Road.

Poor Scouser Tommy and Fields Of Anfield Road are more like our battle hymns compared to YNWA. Although you want to know what YNWA means it means standing together as one, it means pride, as what Res says it also reminds me of simple little things like a whole away end at Newcastle singing in unison after Northumberland police spent the whole F***ing match throwing out Liverpool fans for having the temerity to either swear or god-forbid standing in front of one of the hoardings on the wall. Well after we took a 2-0 nil lead in the Coca-cola cup quarter-final extra time, we spent the last 15 minutes all stood singing YNWA making sure Northumberland police and all those maggot geordie stewards got the F***ing message.

That was an angry YNWA, I've also heard sad YNWA's, like at Wembley 89 hearing Liverpool fans voices crack under the emotion of everything they'd gone through in the month that had passed since Hillsborough, I've heard it sung at the memorial, it's been sung in triumph. It's just one of those powerful songs that means quite a lot and covers a lot of emotions

I still think it's one of the most requested songs for funerals on Merseyside too!!
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #5: Mar 01, 2013 10:12:11 am
      YNWA means what it says We are in this together We are One..
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #6: Mar 01, 2013 10:29:11 am
      If i remember correctly there is a thread on our anthem already? -

Thought so - here it is - http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,44376.0.html
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #7: Mar 01, 2013 12:46:05 pm
      When I hear it, it's split in to both happy and sad thoughts. It reminds me of the joys of Istanbul, the treble-winning '01 season and the "never say die" attitude. On the other hand, it also brings to mind the tragedies of Hillsborough, Heysel and even Munich.

It's an emotional song, and regardless of the circumstances I'm always proud to sing and hear it - and especially to hear other teams such as Celtic, Twente, Dortmund and Monchengladbach singing it.

^
      This is exactly how I feel, and it never fails to send a shiver down my spine.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #8: Mar 01, 2013 12:57:03 pm
      http://songsofthestands.blogspot.fr/2013/01/hello-and-welcome-to-first-post-of.html

First one up ?

Should be ours.

To me its our tribal battle cry. It is to unite us in our ground and to send a message of defiance of who we are to anyone else.

It is our song as the 12th man to the 11 on the pitch.

It is the collective mantra to comfort those who lost 96 relatives and friends all those years ago.

It is our song of Truth and Justice that flowed against the corruption deceit and lies over Hillsborough.

It is what is in our DNA and that of our children if we are  true REDS.

A simple song from a musical that became our own  fifty years ago  .... when I first sang it.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #9: Mar 01, 2013 03:52:30 pm
      It's more than a song. For me it epitomises what the club is about from the ground up. It is a rallying call to all reds that we are all in this together, Good times or bad.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #10: Mar 01, 2013 09:16:04 pm
      Living close to Anfield as a boy seeing the night sky lit up by the floodlights...
      St Johns winnin header at Wembley
      Keegan and Toshacks sideburns against Newcastle in 74
      Reminds me of bein in the Kop in the late 70's , swaying and singing all through the match and goin mental when we scored , huggin everyone around you...
      Witnessing Bill and Bob's destruction tactics of the opposition...
      Kenny flinging his arms in the air with a big smile at Wembley havin just won the double as a player manager...
      John Barnes...
      Robbie Fowler
      McCallisters winner in the derby
      Dudek's save in extra time in 05...
      Owens winner against Arsenal at Cardiff
      Stevie G's winner against Olympiakos...
      Ray Kennedy
      Roger Hunt
      Stevie Highway..

Then.....it can make me cry and feel really sad as it will bring back memories of our darkest hours...

but then thats what Anthems are supposed to do....Musically its a very powerful song...up there with the likes of Unchained Melody , Stand by Me as a love ballad..But I think its the fact , for me anyway , that the song originates from a scouse singer and his band....thats what makes it magical for me....

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #11: Mar 02, 2013 02:38:38 am
      Living close to Anfield as a boy seeing the night sky lit up by the floodlights...
      St Johns winnin header at Wembley
      Keegan and Toshacks sideburns against Newcastle in 74
      Reminds me of bein in the Kop in the late 70's , swaying and singing all through the match and goin mental when we scored , huggin everyone around you...
      Witnessing Bill and Bob's destruction tactics of the opposition...
      Kenny flinging his arms in the air with a big smile at Wembley havin just won the double as a player manager...
      John Barnes...
      Robbie Fowler
      McCallisters winner in the derby
      Dudek's save in extra time in 05...
      Owens winner against Arsenal at Cardiff
      Stevie G's winner against Olympiakos...
      Ray Kennedy
      Roger Hunt
      Stevie Highway..

Then.....it can make me cry and feel really sad as it will bring back memories of our darkest hours...

but then thats what Anthems are supposed to do....Musically its a very powerful song...up there with the likes of Unchained Melody , Stand by Me as a love ballad..But I think its the fact , for me anyway , that the song originates from a scouse singer and his band....thats what makes it magical for me....

Got it in one ,also Gerry Marsden singing Y.N.W.A. against Everton at Wembley,that was enough to bring tears to anyones eyes.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #12: Mar 02, 2013 02:46:03 am
      To me YNWA means You'll Never Walk Alone, but I guess it can mean many different things to many different people...!
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #13: Mar 02, 2013 08:23:04 pm
      The best songs are always ones that suit any emotion and any occasion - quite a rarity then.

You'll Never Walk Alone is one of those songs. It will be sung in hard times and in good times, as Liverpool FC fans know enough of plenty. The sense of unity and togetherness, brothers and sisters in arms, fits Liverpool FC, and the city surrounding it, right down to a tee. It sums up that communitarian value that is at the heart of the club, emanating from the fans and the city, which makes it such an appropriate and unique song to the fans. The song really does show us we're all together as one, whether we experience good times or bad.

It helps draw strength from vulnerability, and as a result, any success is more poignant as a result. When we win, we never forget where that hardship and determination came from, and when we're down on our knees and at our lowest through tragedy and failure, we know that if we keep together, we'll be alright.

You'll Never Walk Alone is therefore the hymn that just sums up everything about this special club with their special fans and special city.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,472 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #14: Mar 04, 2013 08:45:15 am
      The best songs are always ones that suit any emotion and any occasion - quite a rarity then.

You'll Never Walk Alone is one of those songs. It will be sung in hard times and in good times, as Liverpool FC fans know enough of plenty. The sense of unity and togetherness, brothers and sisters in arms, fits Liverpool FC, and the city surrounding it, right down to a tee. It sums up that communitarian value that is at the heart of the club, emanating from the fans and the city, which makes it such an appropriate and unique song to the fans. The song really does show us we're all together as one, whether we experience good times or bad.

It helps draw strength from vulnerability, and as a result, any success is more poignant as a result. When we win, we never forget where that hardship and determination came from, and when we're down on our knees and at our lowest through tragedy and failure, we know that if we keep together, we'll be alright.

You'll Never Walk Alone is therefore the hymn that just sums up everything about this special club with their special fans and special city.

Hard to add to that, top post.

It makes me feel proud. Proud that it is the song of the club that I support and proud that other clubs from around the world know it is ours. Its part of our identity and as poignant as it has been in disaster and tragedy over the years it is relevant in togetherness, victory, happiness, adversity and defeat.

If Liverpool Football Club's face looks like Kenny Dalglish then when it speaks the lyrics to You'll Never Walk Alone is what it says.

It's just us isn't it?
      Sgt_Hard
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts |
      Reply #15: Mar 13, 2013 05:54:51 pm
      Quite simple, LFC is a religion for us fans & YWNA is the solemn hymn!

Quick Reply