Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

John Lydon or Bono ?

Read 4524 times
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      John Lydon or Bono ?
      Apr 10, 2013 05:28:35 am
      I think this topic needs more discussion.

Who had more impact? Who was a better singer? Who wrote better songs ? Who was a better performer? or if you like who is richer ? Who is bigger Legend/pr**k?

I choose John Lydon.

For Johhny Rotten, For 'Never Mind the Bollocks' , for PIL, for quitting 'The Sex Pistols' when he did. For writing great lyrics about great topics and then giving even greater delivery. The man is a genius. 
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Re: John Lydon or Bono ?
      Reply #1: Apr 10, 2013 06:11:16 am
      Been done to death this now mate but I'll dip my toe in; contrary to all the claims that John Lydon was a pretentious, moronic, insipid musician following the demise of the Pistols Hara Kiri fashion, Lydon surrounded himself with talented musicians and formed the highly entertaining Public Image Limited and had a modicum of success.
      He was himself the same man with the same reactionary views and anti everything mindset, a little maturer by now it has to be said.
      To revert to my original statement U2 and Bono and found a winning formulae and sank into a sea of complacency.

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #2: Apr 10, 2013 06:35:44 am
      Been done to death this now mate but I'll dip my toe in; contrary to all the claims that John Lydon was a pretentious, moronic, insipid musician following the demise of the Pistols Hara Kiri fashion, Lydon surrounded himself with talented musicians and formed the highly entertaining Public Image Limited and had a modicum of success.
      He was himself the same man with the same reactionary views and anti everything mindset, a little maturer by now it has to be said.
      To revert to my original statement U2 and Bono and found a winning formulae and sank into a sea of complacency.

Some people see these things in concrete terms some view them as more abstract. It probably just depends on how deep you delve.
      I see questions like this as fundamental. It may be a band views success as sell out concerts and mega fame. I think an artist would see success as a legacy beyond this or indeed wouldn't even bother themselves with the question of success.

Do Juggernauts that use money to achieve greater success , which in these terms is obviously consumer response which thanks to the modern media  garnishes critical acclaim, really obtain success?

Is it better, in fact crucial to burn out? It is in necessary that you must burn out or disappear or quit? Like you say the settle for mediocrity or once the hype dies down is that all there really ever was.

To me the real greats - evoke a powerful response and they still evoke this response throughout your life and their art is always on another level whenever you listen to it just sounds great.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #3: Apr 10, 2013 01:33:25 pm
      F**k the pair of them, neither of them hold a candle to John Lennon.

Working Class Hero - John Lennon
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #4: Apr 10, 2013 02:49:27 pm

They would hold a candle for him mate and agree with you without reservation.

Massive shiver down my spine playing that track there.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #5: Apr 10, 2013 03:07:49 pm
      Those discussions are becoming kinda boring... everybody knows where each one are at regarding this topic, this is just changing an old discussion's form to continue the same arguments. Anyway, both are hypocrites.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #6: Apr 10, 2013 03:27:23 pm
      Oh for the love of mike! I like both guys  for the record. Can safely say the only time I enjoyed a reality show was when John Lydon appeared on I'm A Celebrity a few years back.

Now here's the real debate. Always been much more of a George Harrison man. Actually it's all useless. Paul, John and George are inseparable....and then there's Ringo! Only kidding about Ringo. The coolest drummer ever known and a great one as well. Those drum fills in A Day In The Life are still just perfect.

The Beatles - While My Guitar Gently Weeps

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #7: Apr 10, 2013 04:20:33 pm
      Oh for the love of mike! I like both guys  for the record. Can safely say the only time I enjoyed a reality show was when John Lydon appeared on I'm A Celebrity a few years back.

Now here's the real debate. Always been much more of a George Harrison man. Actually it's all useless. Paul, John and George are inseparable....and then there's Ringo! Only kidding about Ringo. The coolest drummer ever known and a great one as well. Those drum fills in A Day In The Life are still just perfect.

The Beatles - While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Not even the best drummer in the band, Pete Best was better!

But as you say that would be a proper debate, which Beatle was best?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #8: Apr 10, 2013 04:44:16 pm

Sarcasm?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #9: Apr 10, 2013 04:46:30 pm

Nope, truth according to some of my older relatives who saw both.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #10: Apr 10, 2013 04:50:17 pm
      Nope, truth according to some of my older relatives who saw both.

Ask any musician, though, and they'll tell you they're not even in the same league. Ringo was and still is a far superior drummer than Pete Best. Ringo could drum any kind of song - rock or ballad or anything - whereas Pete could only drum on rock numbers. He may have seemed better in a live setting because he used the bass drum on all four beats, but even then he was inconsistent with timing. Ringo's practically a human metronome.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #11: Apr 10, 2013 05:24:07 pm
      Ask any musician, though, and they'll tell you they're not even in the same league. Ringo was and still is a far superior drummer than Pete Best. Ringo could drum any kind of song - rock or ballad or anything - whereas Pete could only drum on rock numbers. He may have seemed better in a live setting because he used the bass drum on all four beats, but even then he was inconsistent with timing. Ringo's practically a human metronome.

I can't talk for Pete Best but I find it hard to think of anyone who could come up with a better drum score on songs like Here Comes The Sun or as mentioned above A Day In The Life. Or Tomorrow Never Knows and countless others! I'd struggle between him and Stewart Copeland as my favourite drummers.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #12: Apr 10, 2013 05:32:06 pm
      Wildely off topic but speaking of outsanding drummers Keith Moon instantly comes to mind and a personal favourite is Richie Hayward of Little Feat.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #13: Apr 10, 2013 05:55:15 pm
      I can't talk for Pete Best but I find it hard to think of anyone who could come up with a better drum score on songs like Here Comes The Sun or as mentioned above A Day In The Life. Or Tomorrow Never Knows and countless others! I'd struggle between him and Stewart Copeland as my favourite drummers.

Here Comes the Sun is fascinating because George wanted an Indian beat. Since Indian music has different time signatures than Western music, Ringo had to come up with those great fills right before the first verse.

As for Pete Best, you'll have to listen closely to his drumming on the Decca audition, some early BBC recordings, etc.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #14: Apr 10, 2013 07:23:56 pm
      Another strange topic from Vulcan Red.

On the subject of drummers Bryan Devendorf from The National is the best about at the minute.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #15: Apr 11, 2013 12:25:22 am
      Another strange topic from Vulcan Red.

On the subject of drummers Bryan Devendorf from The National is the best about at the minute.
      Not strange .. to me. I have just been thinking about the overall influence money has on the psyche of us mortals. Quite often it can mean that people are only exposed to certain bands i.e. the big famous ones. Or that we associate money and success with true greatness. I mean Real Madrid, Utd .. now PSG, City and Chelski etc are breaking spending records (fees and wages etc) to get trophies and then be judged as successful = great. The media ratifies it because it serves the purpose of the masters i.e. money is great and if your paid a lot your 'worth' and conversely if youre paid fu*k all then you 'deserve' it.

Oh and John Lennon and John Lydon are both great, I think Bono is very good front man.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #16: Apr 11, 2013 12:29:28 am

But as you say that would be a proper debate, which Beatle was best?

Stuart Sutcliffe, I have a mate who reckons he wrote all of the Beatles songs including the White Album and that John and Paul swiped them and erased his memory.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #17: Apr 11, 2013 02:01:38 am
      Stuart Sutcliffe, I have a mate who reckons he wrote all of the Beatles songs including the White Album and that John and Paul swiped them and erased his memory.

Haha all though good shout, remember watching one of the movies that was out about him a while back, it's funny that when they were in Germany, when he was in the band, they looked F**k all like the Beatles we know now. Leather jackets, jeans and greased back hair!!
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #18: Apr 11, 2013 02:06:46 am
      Haha all though good shout, remember watching one of the movies that was out about him a while back, it's funny that when they were in Germany, when he was in the band, they looked f**k all like the Beatles we know now. Leather jackets, jeans and greased back hair!!
      I saw it, I think. The one where Lennon is after his girlfriend Astrid. From Leather jackets to Tie Dye and Headbands: Testimony to how creative and fu*king good they were.

Quick Reply