Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Windows Phone 8

Read 4816 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Windows Phone 8
      May 04, 2013 05:32:45 pm
      I haven't seen much talk about this on the forum as it's mostly Android and Apple on here but I recently bought a used HTC Windows Phone 8 for the remainder of my contract just to see how it is and if it's worth getting a high spec model when I'm due for upgrade.

The phone is this one

On the hardware side of things the phone is not too bad but a little underpowered to what I'm used to as I had an HTC One X which is fantastic but after I've had it a few weeks I'm finding I don't notice the slower processor as much as web browsing is still ok and using apps etc is pretty fast as well.

It's a really nicde phone to hold in the hand but I expect that from HTC and compared to my wife's Nokia Lumia it just feels more classy.

On the actual Windows OS I really do like it so far as the live tiles are great on the homescreen and the whole thing feels really organic, if that's the right term. Each tile can be made one of three sizes so you can prioritise your apps and also have the homescreen filled with the apps you use the most and scroll easily between them.

The negatives I've found so far is that the web browsers aren't as good as on Android and there is much less election with only really IE and a couple of others. Bing and Google search are there but I do miss Google Chrome for Android even thought he browser I'm using is usable.

The app store isn't at the level of Android or Apple either but it does have everything you need just not the extra ones that kill a bit of time when you're bored.

All in all I really like it and am tepmted to go for Windows again next year if I can get a phone to match the top spec of the best Android ones.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: Windows Phone 8
      Reply #1: May 09, 2013 11:16:44 am
      The app store isn't at the level of Android or Apple either but it does have everything you need just not the extra ones that kill a bit of time when you're bored.

This is what puts me off going for a Windows phone, as things stand. Apple used to have a big advantage over Android due to the size of their App Store but nowadays, Google Play (formerly Android Market) is huge and you can find pretty much anything you want on there. The Windows app store may well grow but for the time being, I'm not prepared to be restricted in that way again.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #2: Aug 10, 2013 12:21:34 am
      An update on this for anyone who's interested and sad to say, for Windows Phone at least, I'm not impressed and from quite liking the OS initially I just feel it's too limited in comparison to Andriod for me to want to go for it when my upgrade comes around.

The phone itself isn't great, but I knew that anyway as I had downgraded from my usual spec, but I'm judging purely Windows as a phone experience and for anyone who loves the variety that Android gives you do not even be tempted by Windows as you'll be massively disappointed especially if you get tied into as long contract and can't afford to change.

No variety in home screens, apart from changing the colour, apps store still way behind Apple and Google Play and the whole OS just feels limited as I've said.

Going to get a cheap Android to keep me going to my upgrade next year and then see what's about and get back to a top spec phone again.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #3: Feb 12, 2016 10:34:21 pm

I'm back on Windows Phone again for a while after getting a Lumia 640 yesterday.

I've been on a sim only deal for a while now while I weigh up what phone to go with next and my Moto G packed in so I had to find something to tide me over and all the reviews I seen about this device wre pretty positive so I decided to give Windows another go.

First impressions are very good with a large clear 5 inch screen that is of very good quality for the money, £100, and the OS is very slick and processer seems to cope well with everyday use.

The Windows OS seems to be a big leap from the first Windows decide I had in the OP of this thread and although apps still seem to be lagging behind it does have all the main ones I use everyday and with also having an iPod Touch 6 I think I will enjoy using Windows this time.

Just liking forward to the Windows 10 upgrade which should be along soon.

First impression is very good phone for £100 and I will post again after a while if anyone is interested.
      « Last Edit: Feb 12, 2016 11:01:09 pm by srslfc »
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #4: Mar 19, 2016 01:47:03 am
      Btw, get cubic explorer for free and set thumbnails to be recorded, not sure what the exact term is. I use that and windows expplorer for a different use.
      Cubic explorer acts like a google chrome browser, with tabs, I mainly use Firefox but for a file eplorer it's the best? Who knows, it's amazing though.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5: Mar 19, 2016 08:48:30 am
      Btw, get cubic explorer for free and set thumbnails to be recorded, not sure what the exact term is. I use that and windows expplorer for a different use.
      Cubic explorer acts like a google chrome browser, with tabs, I mainly use Firefox but for a file eplorer it's the best? Who knows, it's amazing though.

Will do.

Quick Reply