Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The Last of Us: Paranoia and Despair in Paradise

Read 4213 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      May 21, 2013 12:31:05 pm

You’re never safe for long.
      by Richard George MAY 16, 2013

There’s something beautiful about the lush, vibrant world presented in the Last of Us. It’s abandoned. Broken. Savage. Deadly. And yet strangely gorgeous, with vegetation overflowing from every crack and corner. A sign that Mother Nature has taken back what humans have failed to protect - what humans couldn’t handle, as their society decayed and crumbled in their very hands.

I’d never played The Last of Us until now. In fact, I’d barely watched any footage. I’d stayed away from impressions. I’d not seen a demo or, to the best of my recollection, a full trailer. For whatever reason, this game had been peripheral to my interactions with the game industry, until today, when I tested to very different slices of Joel and Ellie’s adventure.

Despite the fact that Joel and Ellie have each other, the best word I could use to describe this game is “lonely.” Shells of buildings have been shattered by time. A silence hangs in the air, so foreboding that it’s almost palpable. Every object, every remnant of this lost civilization feels haunted to its core, forgotten by the people that have long since fled. Cars line the streets. Life, as any of us would define it, is gone.

That’s why Joel and Ellie stand out so much. They are the last sign of life in this evergreen wasteland. Watching them attempt to find a way out, to change their lives, is captivating. This manifests itself both in the way these two interact with each other, and in how they observe the world around them. Joel is hardened by his past, and it seems clear that he has almost let the emptiness of this desolate land swallow him whole. Yet Ellie seems to bring him balance. He cares what happens to her, cautioning her and chastising her if she ventures too far ahead. In a cutthroat world starved for resources, Joel is willing to add this young girl to his burden.

These are the sorts of observations and emotions that playing the Last of Us evokes. I didn’t know Joel or Ellie before sitting down with this game, but their connection with each other was incredibly clear, and that dynamic made each character much more interesting. And Joel’s maturity, skepticism and understanding of the threats around every corner began to echo my own. Silence was unnerving. Calmness seemed threatening. I started to crouch more often. I snuck around more corners. I used my stealth-like ‘listening’ ability to see if I could detect infected enemies or worse - other humans.

Despite the fact that I fought nothing for the bulk of my demo, I felt compelled to seek out resources. I gathered supplies to upgrade weapons, craft health kits and improve Joel’s skills. I found ammunition and discarded weapons to keep in my backpack. I found so many items and resources, and yet it was never enough. Not because I was in constant danger, but because I thought that danger might be around each and every corner. The absence of a threat created one in my mind. And with good reason - when your enemies show up, you’d better be ready.

Violence found Joel and Ellie twice, once against a horde of infected humans, and once against a group of opportunistic, savage survivors. Both were incredibly challenging in their own way, requiring different tactics and mentalities. In both scenarios I died multiple times as I felt my way through adapting and surviving.

Fighting these 'mutates' was a bit unfair. In his quest to find a friend who owed a favor, Joel is caught in a rope trap, suspended mid-air in a garage. The commotion raises the alarm of nearby creatures, who then descend upon our dynamic duo as Ellie attempts to cut Joel free. Two types of enemies rushed at me - the weaker ‘Runners’ (which assess their surroundings through sight) and the heavier, stronger ‘Clickers’ (which operate on sound alone). I let the runners get a hold of me, as I was able to fend them off and quickly draw headshots (assisted by the game) as they staggered back. The Clickers afforded me no such luxury. They would kill me instantly. No fending. No shot. Eventually I was cut free, but this led to a chase, and even though my friend, Bill, stumbled across us, the pursuit was merciless.

What’s so incredible about The Last of Us is the dynamic reactions of characters, no matter the situation. There's a core, raw unpredictability to events, so they feel in the moment and not scripted. If Joel and Ellie wander into a music shop, Ellie will stop and peruse the records (moving some of them individually), and make a remark about how it’s sad no one will ever listen to this music again. In the heat of battle, as a mutate was about to lunge at me, Bill stepped in with his machete and cut it down. I would have sworn these moments were scripted, but the only reason that enemy lunged was because I had to reload my gun. And that was because I didn’t hit my target. These reactions, these moments, are spontaneous. And you only realize how intricate they are after the fact, once the tension has died down.

Combat in this game is tense, and that’s because it’s not always concerned with minute-to-minute chaos. The Last of Us allows its world and characters room to breathe, to interact and to function - and it also just wants you to just soak in its gorgeous environments, to digest how everything we accept as modern society has collapsed.

My second confrontation occurred out of context with my encounter with the mutates and subsequent rescue by Bill. This time I fought a group of humans in a hollowed out convenience store. I died several times, mostly because I underestimated the pack mentality that these brutes work with. They coordinate. They come from different angles. They’re cautious yet thorough.

But they’re not perfect. Between my listening ability, which I used to pinpoint their location, and a few well-thrown bricks, I gained the upper hand. It turns out a brick to the head will stun anyone with a shotgun, and a devastating cross with a wooden beam will put them down for good.

I survived. Or, rather, Joel and Ellie survived. With a precious few bullets left, and few resources to work with, the quest for... existence continued. It’s a quiet, beautiful, savage world out there. Whatever is ahead... it’s not going to be easy. The Last of Us stunned me. Not in any one aspect, but through its collective polish and crisp attention to the smallest details. And it’s unlike any adventure I’ve embarked upon. It’s not an action game. It’s not survival. It’s not horror. But it is pretty damn special. And it’s less than a month away. Somehow that feels like an exceptionally long time.

Link

The Last of Us Is Beautiful, Immersive, Scary - IGN Preview

The Last of Us - The Truck Ambush Trailer

kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Re: The Last of Us: Paranoia and Despair in Paradise
      Reply #1: Jun 16, 2013 06:43:24 pm
      Bought this yesterday, I'm 31 years of age and honestly this is the best game Ive ever player.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #2: Jun 16, 2013 08:24:21 pm
      Im on the last mission now.... masterpiece!
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #3: Jun 17, 2013 01:50:16 am
      I'm almost at the point of buying a PS3 just to get this
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #4: Jun 17, 2013 03:27:54 pm
      Finished downloading late last night, I've played about an hour and a half. So far, so good. Haven't been thrown in against the infected just yet, but the tension is building up nicely.

One thing you can say right off the bat is that this is an extremely atmospheric game.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #5: Jun 17, 2013 04:58:35 pm
      Just finished the story. Amazing!
      Took me 11 hours on normal and that wasn't really looking for collectibles so its quite a lengthy game!
      Easily up there with Red Dead Redemption for game of this gen.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #6: Jun 28, 2013 10:41:29 am
      Should I rent this or buy it?

Really want to play it as everyone says the single player is epic but the multiplayer is hit and miss? Don't want to spend around ÂŁ35 and play just 11 hours?
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #7: Jun 28, 2013 05:22:39 pm
      I'd buy it.

My first play through took 14 hours (normal) but this game gets more intense the harder the difficulty.

If no one has spoiled the story for you I'd get it asap before someone does.
      Multiplayer is pretty good also if you play with friends. Randoms can be annoying because you need everyone to pull their weight.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #8: Jun 28, 2013 05:35:41 pm
      Ordered it off Amazon, had a voucher I got from LoveFilm I think so saved a tenner, quite happy with that.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #9: Jun 28, 2013 05:40:02 pm
      Ordered it off Amazon, had a voucher I got from LoveFilm I think so saved a tenner, quite happy with that.
      Single player is great, best campaign ive played to date. Took me 18 hours cause I'm a derp. MP is as said above, only good with mates.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #10: Jun 28, 2013 05:59:13 pm
      Only heard immense things about this. If it's up there with the likes of Uncharted 2 & 3 and Red Dead then I'd happily pay double for what it's worth! For all its criticisms the PS3's great games have no doubt been far and above the PS2s great games in my opinion and I've probably only got about a third of the amount of games I had on PS2. But the PS2 still remains the better console IMO. I was reading that GTA 4 was the highest rated PS3 game of all time. Sorry but that is just bullshit. That game is not a patch on the previous GTA's and a pale shadow up against the might of Uncharted and Red Dead and now seemingly this.

Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #11: Jun 29, 2013 09:17:34 pm
      Single player is great, best campaign ive played to date. Took me 18 hours cause I'm a derp. MP is as said above, only good with mates.

I've been taking it slow and I think I'll end up finishing in around the same time. Still got a bit left, and I've managed to avoid spoilers. I think the MP is brilliant, but yeah, only really if you're playing with mates, or at least people with a bit of teamwork and maybe a mic.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #12: Jul 03, 2013 05:39:34 pm
      Apologies for the double post but I just finished this last night and all I can say is .... feckin hell, what a game.

Everyone saying its the best game they've ever played, well it was up there for me right till the end, then by the end it was number 1 without a doubt!

Stunningly brilliant single player campaign, and the multiplayer ain't bad either. Thumbs up Naughty Dog, just don't ruin it with a sequel please!!

(also took about 16 hours 45 minutes to complete it. I like to take it slow as well)

And, the giraffes  ;D
      « Last Edit: Jul 03, 2013 05:45:55 pm by artaylor »
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #13: Jul 04, 2013 05:30:46 pm
      Yeah when I saw them I was in awe, not just because it was good to look at but the thinking behind the scenes. Naughty dog obviously wanted this game to tug at the heart strings and they easily pulled it off.

I can seriously see this game becoming as important (if not more so) as the first Tomb Raider, a generation defining game.

I'd like to see a sequel with different characters.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #14: Jul 04, 2013 05:43:05 pm
      Yeah when I saw them I was in awe, not just because it was good to look at but the thinking behind the scenes. Naughty dog obviously wanted this game to tug at the heart strings and they easily pulled it off.

I can seriously see this game becoming as important (if not more so) as the first Tomb Raider, a generation defining game.

I'd like to see a sequel with different characters.

Think thats the only way a sequel could work. I agree its probably the defining game of the generation, and it came right at the end of the 'cycle'.

The giraffe scene was perfectly placed. Well timed breather! :D
      Bier
      Reply #15: Jul 04, 2013 05:55:24 pm
      I loved this game, but I don't think it's a revolutionairy game, it didn't do much new, it just did alot of things very well.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #16: Jul 17, 2013 11:51:22 pm
      This has been sitting next to my TV for a while now!

Was watching Wimbledon in my spare time before and well now the Ashes have started :D Will try to play a bit over the weekend as the missus is away!
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #17: Aug 03, 2013 09:52:37 pm
      best game i have played this gen. Doesnt bring anything new to the table but does brilliant with what it has. If you havent played it yet then you should, it has to be experienced.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #18: Aug 17, 2013 04:04:19 pm
      Just finished The Last of Us a few days ago. I thought it was awesome. I hadn't played a game like this before, but I really enjoyed it. Highly recommend it to anyone who's thinking about picking this up.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #19: Aug 24, 2013 11:32:42 am
      Finished this a while back. Excellent game. 10/10.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #20: Aug 24, 2013 02:37:11 pm
      This game made me pre order ps4, if the studio keep making games then I dare to say that my money is well spent.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #21: Sep 16, 2013 03:59:32 pm
      I'm a broken man.

Ellie!
      Ellie!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber