Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Kolo Touré Player Thread (Released)

Read 68434 times
      instride01
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Re: Kolo Touré Player Thread
      Reply #115: Jul 28, 2013 09:45:12 pm
      Kolo's looking class out there.  Will freely admit I feared his best was behind him and was skeptical of his signing.  Happy to be wrong in this instance.  Hopefully our medical team can keep him healthy all year long as they did with some of our other vets last year who've had poor injury histories. 
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #116: Jul 29, 2013 09:48:38 pm
      Quite an easy start for him so far on pre-season and looks to have fitted in well.

Think he'll show his worth when our backs are against the wall in games and his leadership quality will come out.

Currently, expect him to start alongside Agger vs Stoke.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #117: Jul 30, 2013 08:43:50 pm
      He's a quality player and I haven't heard any one of my friends say it was a bad signing.

Looking forward to seeing the big man in action this season.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #118: Aug 11, 2013 09:48:15 am
      Been very impressive in pre-season has the big fella. Solid defending. Comfortable on the ball, and a goal threat from set pieces. Also has to be noted is he looks like being significantly quicker than Carra was (not knocking Carra here, after all NO-ONE can replace Carrra's spirit). Showed a real turn of pace against a younger Celtic attacker yesterday. All in all, a really positive signing by BR.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #119: Aug 11, 2013 08:26:02 pm
      Been very impressive in pre-season has the big fella. Solid defending. Comfortable on the ball, and a goal threat from set pieces. Also has to be noted is he looks like being significantly quicker than Carra was (not knocking Carra here, after all NO-ONE can replace Carrra's spirit). Showed a real turn of pace against a younger Celtic attacker yesterday. All in all, a really positive signing by BR.

I agree, was very sceptical of this signing. Had 'doing it for the money' written all over it, but it appears he still does have it despite the many doubts thrown at him. I was very surprised at the pace he still had in the locker on the 80min mark yesterday, that was extremely encouraging and gave me hope for the coming season.

Think him and Agger will be an excellent pairing but as cover we don't really have enough, swap Skrtel for Pap and yes we're looking a much more solid unit. I will say though should Cissokho come in, we'll need to be strong at the back because he really does like to get involved at the top end of the pitch, even more so than Johnson.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #120: Aug 11, 2013 08:30:13 pm
      He read Stevies free kick lovely yesterday and a lovely header , pity it was offside , the difference between himself and Carra will be he can score goals .
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #121: Aug 11, 2013 08:34:12 pm
      He read Stevies free kick lovely yesterday and a lovely header , pity it was offside , the difference between himself and Carra will be he can score goals .

Yep, it was noticeable that he was our only real threat from set pieces though and that needs addressing. He is a good threat though and that's nice to see.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #122: Aug 11, 2013 08:53:22 pm
      Yep, it was noticeable that he was our only real threat from set pieces though and that needs addressing. He is a good threat though and that's nice to see.
      He's a wealth of experience Luke and hopefully he can make the difference on our back four as well , good with the motors as well . :)
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #123: Aug 11, 2013 10:02:40 pm
      Good defender is Kolo. Target for set pieces too.

Could be our new Andy Carroll.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #124: Aug 11, 2013 10:44:22 pm
      The only doubt I had about this signing was if he was really up for the challenge or not and I don't think there is any doubt there.

Been very impressed with him pre season and as much by his attitude to football than his actual play.

Expect him to be beside Dagger come next weekend and may be very hard to shift.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #125: Aug 11, 2013 11:23:37 pm
      Good defender is Kolo. Target for set pieces too.

Could be our new Andy Carroll.
      Carroll actually start out as a   cb FOAR .
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #126: Aug 12, 2013 11:06:39 am
      All good so far...wonder if the legs will see out a full season but he is only 32.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #127: Aug 12, 2013 11:55:15 am
      hes a perfect like for like swap for Carra obviously i'm not comparing the two but very similar. think KOLO has more of a goal threat from corners than Carra so thats an improvment.

think Skrtel has not been treated fairly by BR he only had one bad game against Stoke and was then dropped. i hope he's back playing with KOLO has back up
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #128: Aug 17, 2013 02:53:30 pm
      Good debut from Kolo, really think his experience at the back will be key to us defensively this season.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #129: Aug 17, 2013 03:03:41 pm
      I thought Kolo Toure was excellent today. He's a lot quicker than I remember him being! Solid at the back, threat on set pieces, showed some good experience at the end of the match, and I have a lot of confidence when he goes up for a header. I don't know about anyone else, but to me he looks absolutely determined and a good character in the squad. Perhaps this will turn out to be one of the shrewdest signings of the season.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #130: Aug 17, 2013 03:08:09 pm
      I thought Kolo Toure was excellent today. He's a lot quicker than I remember him being! Solid at the back, threat on set pieces, showed some good experience at the end of the match, and I have a lot of confidence when he goes up for a header. I don't know about anyone else, but to me he looks absolutely determined and a good character in the squad. Perhaps this will turn out to be one of the shrewdest signings of the season.

I think he's relishing playing possibly the last few years of his career at Liverpool.  He's got a chance to shine in a very talented but young, inexperienced team.

It's good to see, rather than the usual mercenary  'I'm already a big player, I don't need to prove anything' attitude.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #131: Aug 17, 2013 03:12:17 pm
      Outstanding on his debut.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #132: Aug 17, 2013 03:18:47 pm

^^ This

Any doubts I had about his desire or weight have completely disappeared. Loved his hands to his head reaction on the pen and one of his earlier headed attempts. Very unlucky to hit the bar from one of our corners and will certainly get a few goals this season I'd suggest.

Judging by his 80th minute Usain Bolt impression down the centre of the field they may not all just come from corners either. That's twice now around the 80th minute I've seen him do a sprint that's made him look like the quickest fella on the pitch, well done Kolo, very well done.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #133: Aug 17, 2013 03:24:45 pm
      An excellent replacement for Carra, well done today big man.
      Tommy#Benfica
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 120 posts | 12 
      Reply #134: Aug 17, 2013 03:33:53 pm
      Good game today!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #135: Aug 17, 2013 03:35:09 pm
      Slotted right in and looked like he'd always been there.  Impressive debut.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #136: Aug 17, 2013 03:43:04 pm
      Looks like continuing to be a top class defender. Great signing for us.

Thanks city ;-)
      HKIred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 751 posts | 34 
      Reply #137: Aug 17, 2013 03:59:37 pm

I bet BR's sales pitch for Kolo was "We have young, hungry squad which needs some guidance to really shine. How often one gets a chance to win league in three different outfits? This is it, are you in"

Quick Reply