Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Kolo Touré Player Thread (Released)

Read 68432 times
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Re: Kolo Touré Player Thread
      Reply #46: May 28, 2013 11:40:42 pm
      Welcome to the club Kolo. A good signing I reckon.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #47: May 29, 2013 12:06:48 am
      Experienced player to add to the squad in Carra's absence.

Not sure why some of you are so worried about his wages as FSG have proved they will not pay more than they think a player is worth and that fits into their structure.

Totally agree.
      Sure he'll be a valuable member of the squad on decent wages that won't break the bank.
      For all FSG's faults they do know how to get players in at a proper wage and not get fleeced.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #48: May 29, 2013 12:08:34 am
      Not so much worried as intrigued mate. My belief is that FSG will use Carra's retirement as another cost cutting exercise with:

Carra £100k+ gone
      Skrtel £70k (guess) replaced with Papa for around the same
      Coates sold £40k (guess) replaced with Kolo £60k / £70k reported

Therefore we're approximately £70k a week better off (now ignore my assumptions, they're not going to be so vastly wrong to change the point). When will we actually benefit from these savings? At the moment it feels a bit too much like a company setting itself up for a sale and I'm not comfortable with it.

The phrase pay peanuts and you get monkeys, while crude, does have some basis in foundation and we're continually cutting and only Luis seems to have been rewarded.

Of course if there are additions to the squad this window we would have to factor in their wages also.

Little too early to see exactly how this all plays out.

Last season Maxi/Bellamy/Kuyt/Cole gone and wages saved

Last season Allen/Borini/Coutinho/Sturridge in....Suarez/Agger/Skrtel new deals.

I would think most of those "savings" were used up as I am pretty sure that Coutinho/Allen/Sturridge are not on paupers wages and rest assured that Luis probably got a nice raise also with his new deal.

Just don't know how we are lining up for a sale when there is a 70k/week saving and the window has not even opened up...and that Skrtel/Coates are still here?

Lots of things can change over the next 60 - 90 days.

Now if we get nobody else in and 70/100k week is not put back into the squad then that is a problem but seeing as we are 33 days from the official opening it might be a bit pre-mature to throw the alarm switch quite yet.
      « Last Edit: May 29, 2013 12:31:09 am by AZPatriot »
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #49: May 29, 2013 12:34:13 am

Of course if there are additions to the squad this window we would have to factor in their wages also.

Little too early to see exactly how this all plays out.

Last season Maxi/Bellamy/Kuyt/Cole gone and wages saved

Last season Allen/Borini/Coutinho/Sturridge in....Suarez/Agger/Skrtel new deals.

I would think most of those "savings" were used up as I am pretty sure that Coutinho/Allen/Sturridge are not on paupers wages and rest assured that Luis probably got a nice raise also with his new deal.

Just don't know how we are lining up for a sale when there is a 70k/week saving and the window has not even opened up...and that Skrtel/Coates are still here?

Lots of things can change over the next 60 - 90 days.

Now if we get nobody else in and 70/100k week is not put back into the squad then that is a problem but seeing as we are 33 days from the official opening it might be a bit pre-mature to throw the alarm switch quite yet.

No alarm switch, just my hunch of how things will go.

It's been well documented how we've cut wages, to continue to do so would seem to care not for progress but purely for profit and I'm leaning more to believing the latter is foremost in our owners minds.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #50: May 29, 2013 12:43:09 am
      No alarm switch, just my hunch of how things will go.

It's been well documented how we've cut wages, to continue to do so would seem to care not for progress but purely for profit and I'm leaning more to believing the latter is foremost in our owners minds.

How much did we wage cut last season Luke?

I am honest in saying (or at least believing) that Maxi/Kuyt/Bellamy/Cole/Aqualani  vs. Suarez (New Deal = More Wages)  Agger (New Deal = More Wages) Skrtel (New Deal = More Wages) + the additions of Allen/Borini/Sturridge/Coutinho was not cost cutting, more like a swap.

How much are the new guys making?  How much does Luis make now? 100k/week? 110k/week?  thing is nobody really seems to have numbers on either side of the arguemnt do they?

So how much did we save last season on wages?

Now at the end of last season all we did was let Carra retire/Skrtel and Coates let go and all we did was bring in Toure then I will jump on the bandwagon with you.

The facts say that this window the (60k/week is what we are hearing for Toure) there is a 40k/week savings with the window opening in 33 days.

There is no signs that they are continuing to cut costs (Carra retiring was going to happen, FSG did not force it)

The high costs older players are effectively gone now, replaced by what I think are younger and more vibarant group.

At the end of the day all that matters is results on the pitch...not what it costs to get there.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #51: May 29, 2013 12:50:42 am
      How much are the new guys making?  How much does Luis make now? 100k/week? 110k/week?  thing is nobody really seems to have numbers on either side of the arguemnt do they?
      It's easy to cook the books AZ, just because we don't have numbers that we can't throw out to you doesn't mean it's not happening .
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #52: May 29, 2013 12:51:57 am
      It's easy to cook the books AZ, just because we don't have numbers that we can't throw out to you doesn't mean it's not happening .

Works both ways does it not Big?

Just because we don't have the numbers does not mean it is happening now is it?

Like I said, check in at the end of the season and see how much we have cut.

If Skrtel/Coates/Carra out is all that happens and Toure is our only addition get back with me and I will sign some kind of petition or something.

Getting rid of Poulson/Cole/Aqualani was nothing but good business...with the exception of perhaps Kuyt most of the savings there has been the past 2 years have been either sh*te players that needed to go or from retirements Carra/Bellers.

Really hard to find the conspiracy in getting rid of Christian/Alberto/Joe along with a host of others.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #53: May 29, 2013 01:00:32 am
      Good luck Kolo.

Just seen this pic on twitter photo-shopped from the Toure shower pic that has had me pissing myself:

:lmao:

:D

bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #54: May 29, 2013 01:05:15 am
      Works both ways does it not Big?

Just because we don't have the numbers does not mean it is happening now is it?

Like I said, check in at the end of the season and see how much we have cut.

If Skrtel/Coates/Carra out is all that happens and Toure is our only addition get back with me and I will sign some kind of petition or something.

Getting rid of Poulson/Cole/Aqualani was nothing but good business...with the exception of perhaps Kuyt most of the savings there has been the past 2 years have been either sh*te players that needed to go or from retirements Carra/Bellers.

Really hard to find the conspiracy in getting rid of Christian/Alberto/Joe along with a host of others.

I see you changed your profile , wheres the fsg forget scoring goals and we come not to play . If last summer dealings are anything to go by then we have a right to be annoyed . And play with your numbers all you like .
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #55: May 29, 2013 02:04:26 am
      Welcome Kolo!
      real enemy
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      Reply #56: May 29, 2013 02:35:51 am
      I'd have to admit i'm not excited that we'd signed Kolo Toure. My guess is Toure is coming to improve the depth of our squad with Toure's experience. Hope Toure can download some of his impressive resume of being a proven winner of major honours to help guide our young players.

Anyway, Welcome To LFC, Kolo Toure. :kop5cf8koxp6:
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #57: May 29, 2013 05:14:21 am
      I see you changed your profile , wheres the fsg forget scoring goals and we come not to play . If last summer dealings are anything to go by then we have a right to be annoyed . And play with your numbers all you like .

Sorry if I offended you by changing my profile, I liked the banner Res made up and the link is my new home town club.

Once again apologize for making that change I will work on correcting that.

Next time I make a change to my profile I will submit it for approval first.

As far as playing with the numbers there is plenty of that going on on both sides of the discussion.
      Zebedee
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 93 posts |
      Reply #58: May 29, 2013 07:02:40 am
      oh God,another step in the wrong direction!
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #59: May 29, 2013 08:07:18 am
      11 years premiership experience , can only be a good thing for the younger lads

Welcome to the best club in the world kolo

Ynwa
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #60: May 29, 2013 08:34:25 am

Before labeling it a step in the wrong direction, why not  wait until our summer business is done, maybe it was a signing to  add depth to the squad that allows us to pour our resources into other area's of the squad.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #61: May 29, 2013 09:10:02 am
      Someone on the transfer thread questioned his true age being closer to 36 not 32.

That may or not be the case  - but then again,  Shelvey looks closer to being  40 than he does 21
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #62: May 29, 2013 09:20:07 am
      Early business.
      Free transfer.
      Winning mentality in the dressing room.

Not much wrong with it as a start to the transfer window.

Welcome Kolo.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #63: May 29, 2013 09:36:21 am
      As a FIRST bit of business, not bad. Experienced, and is a direct replacement for Jamie (at least in terms of he is an experienced CB)

Too early to say until the window closes whether it is good business, as there is a long way to go yet
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #64: May 29, 2013 09:37:26 am
      great signing for mine. just what we need.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #65: May 29, 2013 09:53:49 am
      The immediate reaction to this signing must be that the lad is a stop gap measure in the light of Jamie calling it a day, if he fills that role adequately no-one can doubt his quality.

Welcome to LFC Kolo, give it plenty mate.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #66: May 29, 2013 10:16:20 am
      maybe it was a signing to  add depth to the squad that allows us to pour our resources into other area's of the squad.

That's how I'm reading it Blud and as such I'm finding it hard to get too excited (one way or the other) about the signing. I'm guessing that we might see major upheaval in our defence this Summer, for whatever reasons and if that is to be the case it'll cost us a few quid.

Time will tell but It would seem that Coates and Skrtel have went the way of Carroll and aren't in Brendan's thinking; the rumblings that surround Pepe; add to that the fact that Carra is gone and you're looking at (potentially) four new signings at the back alone.

Personally I don't see Kolo as an improvement on either Carra or Skrtel so he is what he is (IMO) a cheap, ready-made, replacement in a numbers game. Our true intent will show through with other signing(s).

Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #67: May 29, 2013 10:45:57 am

Oh God, another sh*te post with no foundation or substance.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #68: May 29, 2013 03:11:13 pm
      I'd have to admit i'm not excited that we'd signed Kolo Toure. My guess is Toure is coming to improve the depth of our squad with Toure's experience. Hope Toure can download some of his impressive resume of being a proven winner of major honours to help guide our young players.

Anyway, Welcome To LFC, Kolo Toure.

Admit it, a friend challenged you to type 'Toure' as many times as possible in one post without anybody picking up on it?

Quick Reply