Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Most Overrated Bands Ever

Read 25905 times
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 703 posts | 34 
      Most Overrated Bands Ever
      Jun 08, 2013 03:58:28 pm
      Taking light from Brian's other topic of most under rated bands, I was curious as to bands whom you believe to be completely OVERrated. Guess this topic has more room for disagreement ;D, totally personal opinion, but hey ho, let's give it a go! Would be sweet if you could give reason for your choices too!

I'd say I'd go for; Oasis, Sex Pistols and any mildly talented modern "popstar" or "boy band".

Oasis - Think their fan base is a generalised one, almost as though people listen to them just so they can say "Oh yeah, I listen to Oasis". Their music for me is pretty boring and dry and have always come with some sort of internal problems such as the 'family feud' between the two Gallaghers - and don't get me started on them either!

Sex Pistols (Sid Vicious Era) - Hands up, I love them! But the Sid Vicious era was a bit... hollow. He didn't even play on the studio recorded albums, Matlock did. Sid was more of a 'bad boy' symbol to strengthen the band's Punk Rock image. Johnny Rotten is talentless, but has a stage presence and attitude that other bands can only dream of having. Never really had one of their albums where I've been able to sit down and listen to it in full, always seem to get bored and the music begins to sound samey.

I don't even think the modern era "pop stars" or "boy bands" need an explanation. They are awful. Industry dictated sheep, who are either deemed 'attractive' or 'marketable'. The music industry for me, since the 80's, has lost a lot of its integrity and values with this lot of plastic acts. Some examples? - Nicki Minaj, Jessie J, JLS, One Direction, Rhianna and auto tunees such as Kanye West, Flo Rida or Will.I.Am! << Notice these examples... none of them actually play a musical instrument on stage... this bugs me as much as the acts themselves do.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Re: Most Overrated Bands Ever
      Reply #1: Jun 08, 2013 06:28:39 pm

I think they're sh*te but me mate in officeworks loves them.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,959 posts | 3943 
      Reply #2: Jun 08, 2013 06:59:12 pm
      Take That - I mean what the F**k was all that about.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,117 posts | 1183 
      Reply #3: Jun 08, 2013 07:29:13 pm
      The Spice Girls  >:D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4: Jun 08, 2013 07:35:55 pm
      Take That - I mean what the f**k was all that about.

I'm privvy to a bit of Take That I have to admit! Don't know if its a guilty pleasure or anything but its good they came back just to shake off that rent boy look of the 90s.

Most overrated band? Sex Pistols. More an image than a band in my view.

Never really got why people love Snow Patrol either. Sheesh. I put them in with that sort of group with Keane and Coldplay ie inoffensive arena/stadium acts but they don't have the songs nor the quality.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,465 posts | 4815 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #5: Jun 08, 2013 07:41:11 pm
      U2 from Achtung Baby! onwards.

Overated bollocks.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #6: Jun 08, 2013 07:44:18 pm
      U2 from Achtung Baby! onwards.

Overated bollocks.

Woah! Achtung Baby was the dog's bollocks! And the companion piece to it Zooropa was outstanding. Granted their albums from then on haven't lived up to those high standards but they still can come up with some cracking songs notably Moment of Surrender!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,959 posts | 3943 
      Reply #7: Jun 08, 2013 07:51:17 pm
      I'm privvy to a bit of Take That I have to admit! Don't know if its a guilty pleasure or anything but its good they came back just to shake off that rent boy look of the 90s.

Most overrated band? Sex Pistols. More an image than a band in my view.

Never really got why people love Snow Patrol either. Sheesh. I put them in with that sort of group with Keane and Coldplay ie inoffensive arena/stadium acts but they don't have the songs nor the quality.

That is beyond me completely, can't say I'm mad about any of the bands you mention but they all beat the hell out of Take That.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #8: Jun 08, 2013 08:21:28 pm
      Technically not a band, but I literally can't stan Edel's voice. Every time I hear her voice, I want to self harm to take the pain away!
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #9: Jun 11, 2013 07:49:51 pm
      Take That - I mean what the F**k was all that about.

Typical 90's group. The word band or me, is reserved for REAL bands, ie. Those who actually play instruments. Take That were a publicity machine, targeted at certain groups to sell on factors other than their musical 'talent'.

Technically not a band, but I literally can't stan Edel's voice. Every time I hear her voice, I want to self harm to take the pain away!

Her song 'Skyfall' gives me the creeps ;D!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,959 posts | 3943 
      Reply #10: Jun 11, 2013 07:56:53 pm
      Typical 90's group. The word band or me, is reserved for REAL bands, ie. Those who actually play instruments. Take That were a publicity machine, targeted at certain groups to sell on factors other than their musical 'talent'.

Hear what you're saying mate but they're still F***ing crap.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #11: Jun 11, 2013 08:03:35 pm

Don't like Adele either and don't see the big fuss about here either. Granted she can sing but it's not a voice I'm fond of and nor will you ever here me humming one of her songs. And as for the Skyfall theme? The only good Bond theme of the last few films was Chris Cornell's You Know My Name. That was a belter. But Skyfall was a sh*t song for a great film.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,959 posts | 3943 
      Reply #12: Jun 12, 2013 06:07:43 am
      Don't like Adele either and don't see the big fuss about here either.

Kinda like Adele, her voice has incredible depth and emotion and she comes across as believing in what she sings.
      There are some outstanding lady vocalists and to my mind Adele isn't too far from the best.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,578 posts | 3825 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #13: Jun 12, 2013 10:40:02 am

I think they're sh*te but me mate in officeworks loves them.

That's cute.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #14: Jun 12, 2013 02:28:31 pm
      Clodplay, Mumford & Sons and any other mundane, middle of-the-road, sh*te. It's music for beige people who don't like music. You know the type... folk who tell you they "Like a bit of Rock" then go on to tell you that they've got 'Bat Out Of Hell', a Snore Patrol Album and Bon Jovi's 'Greatest Hits'? >:D

Oh, oh... and Radiohead - pretentious pish.  >:D
      « Last Edit: Jun 12, 2013 02:40:41 pm by bad boy bubby »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #15: Jun 12, 2013 02:53:02 pm
      Clodplay, Mumford & Sons and any other mundane, middle of-the-road, sh*te. It's music for beige people who don't like music. You know the type... folk who tell you they "Like a bit of Rock" then go on to tell you that they've got 'Bat Out Of Hell', a Snore Patrol Album and Bon Jovi's 'Greatest Hits'? >:D

I echo that sentiments, though I never really listened to Mumford & Sons.

But this...

How dare you! :o
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16: Jun 12, 2013 02:59:50 pm

I really like Radiohead. Love songs like Codex, How To Disappear Completely and the ultimate classic Fake Plastic Trees. What a f**king great song that is from a brilliant album! It's just their fans are largely a bunch of arse holes who will sneer at you and probably at themselves every morning. Attend a Radiohead concert and I sometimes think you are attending the convention for the world's most boring people who are devoid of any fun or humour. Cu*ts!

Got to admit though I do love a bit of Coldplay. Saw them live a few years back on their Viva La Vida Tour - outstanding show and brilliant live act!

Agree about Mumford and Sons, Meat Loaf, Bon Jovi and Snow Patrol. All that is utter gash.
      « Last Edit: Jun 12, 2013 03:41:58 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #17: Jun 12, 2013 03:17:28 pm
      In terms of mainstream music at least, Radiohead's Ok Computer gotta be the best and most influential album of the second half of the 90's (I would say the same for Nirvana's Nevermind about the first half of that decade). They are a brilliant band IMO.

I understand the annoyance with some of their fans and their later stuff though, it's not hard to see why some call them pretentious, but I still like most of they've done so far.

I saw them live a few years ago and they were unbelievable. Much, much better than I anticipated, one of the best concerts I've ever been to.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #18: Jun 12, 2013 03:17:53 pm
      I think you have to be a little careful in a thread like this. Just because you don't like a band, doesn't mean they're necessarily overrated. I don't care for the Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin the least bit, for example, but not sure they're overrated.

I do agree on Coldplay though ;D I cannot stand that douchebag Chris Martin.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,578 posts | 3825 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #19: Jun 12, 2013 03:30:15 pm
      Not band.
      More like brother.

Liam.
      Lived off Noel for years.
      Out on his own and found out.
      « Last Edit: Jun 12, 2013 03:41:32 pm by racerx34 »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #20: Jun 12, 2013 03:32:56 pm
      Not band.
      More like brother.

Liam.
      Lived of Noel for years.
      Out on his own and found out.

Beady Eye are such an average band. If it wasn't for the fact their members were formerly part of Oasis, they would hardly have caught much attention at all.

It's depressing to think of a creative musician such as Andy Bell (formerly from Ride, a band that has a place n the 'most underestimated bands' thread) playing for that sh*te.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #21: Jun 12, 2013 03:46:27 pm
      I wonder about Andy Bell. You'd think when he joined Oasis after 2000 that they would progress further beyond the era of Britpop with the aid of him but they didn't and there's a perfect argument to say that Oasis should never have gone beyond the year 2000 barring the odd song here and there. It's a shame because I largely associate Andy Bell as being bang average because of it. And Beady Eye really are just Oasis without Noel. And when you make Oasis without Noel it's like making an apple pie but leaving out the apples.

I will also say something that is kind of associated with Oasis. And it's those music acts who have been dragging and hanging themselves off the coat tails of that band. I would rather nail my testicles to a lamp post than listen to unmitigated sh*te like Jake Bugg (go back to f**king school mate) and the truly truly dreadful The Enemy.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #22: Jun 12, 2013 03:51:08 pm
      I like Oasis, but can't stand either Liam or Noel. Liam acts like he's so tough when really he's probably just a big pussy, and Noel is just so full of sh*t. It's no wonder they can't stand each other ;D

And for what it's worth, they only had about 2 maybe 2.5 really good albums. Total decline after "(What's the Story) Morning Glory" in my opinion and just lived off their reputation and previous success (as Beady Eye w/o Noel proves). Kind of ironic that once Noel stopped let's say "barrowing" from his influences, their overall song quality dropped. Some really really good songs though.

Quick Reply