Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Most Overrated Bands Ever

Read 26116 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Re: Most Overrated Bands Ever
      Reply #115: Jul 25, 2013 01:44:49 pm
      Beatles.

:f_run:
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #116: Jul 25, 2013 11:24:09 pm
      ;D... You really know how to wind sh*t up.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #117: Jul 26, 2013 02:19:47 am
      Beatles.

Who the f*ck are the Beatles ?

:f_run:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8519 
      Reply #118: Jul 26, 2013 01:31:51 pm
      In answer to the above question.

Bigger and better than the Sex Pistols!!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #119: Jul 26, 2013 09:07:26 pm
      I do not rate Mumford and Sons. They play standard folk music you can hear anywhere and they put Cheezy lyrics to them and the singer puts on that Jim Henson inspired Muppet voice that all these faux hippy/folk Devendra Banhart crud singers adopt these days, to show how vulnerable yet passionate they are. In short they offer nothing but more of the same and the worst bits of that.

I've disagreed with your opinions on this forum many times but this post, I agree with 100%! Not a fan of the West Country folk style and these cu*ts are like caricatures of backwater village bands from back in the day, sat on hay bails, tanked up on cider, singing songs about their favourite cow with terms of endearment such as, "my dearrr" sung with a deliberately retarded sounding farm worker twang.
      Hyped up and boosted far beyond their talents by Radio One. Utter bollocks.

Elbow: If you're into music (a "muso"), then you must tug yourself over Elbow, or at least that's what mainstream radio DJs and 'cool' music publications say. Personally, I've never heard anything from them that I would describe as anything beyond average.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #120: Jul 26, 2013 09:15:06 pm
      In answer to the above question.

Bigger and better than the Sex Pistols!!

It was inevitable that British music would take a dip after The Beatles split up. The Sex Pistols as case evidence of that dip!

YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #121: Jul 27, 2013 12:52:45 am
      It was inevitable that British music would take a dip after The Beatles split up. The Sex Pistols as case evidence of that dip!

Finally!!!   People, other than me who think the Sex Pistols Suck.  I listened to a lot of Punk and Hardcore when I was younger and everyone would say how great the Pistols were and how they were the Beatles of punk and I never understood it.  They could barely play instruments, the songs themselves were awful and Johnny Rotten was horrible.  For me, groups like the Exploited and Cockney Rejects were more influential. I listened to "War on the Terraces" no less than 10,000 times.  The 80's Punk bands were the true godfathers and pioneers...7 Seconds, GBH, Minor Threat, Black Flag, Descendents.... The Sex Pistols popularity is due to the shock value and originality. They were truly bad.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #122: Jul 27, 2013 01:43:34 am
      My first visit to this thread. Just picking up on a few of the convos already in here. Have to agree Travis were massively overated in the 90s, I never figured out how such a dreary band could headline Glastonbury and get so much air time on the radio. That was possibly the poorest time for indie music in the uk that i can remember and they were at the forefront of it.

I can understand where some are coming from on the Roses, I actually think Ian Brown as solo artist produced better stuff with several good albums BUT you can't knock some of the absolute Roses classics from that 1st album.

Also understand why some say Nirvana, I was a Seattle sound grunge nut in the 90s and Pearl Jam are still my favourite band of all time and you do have to wonder if Nirvana would have had the same lasting appeal if Kirt hadn't done what he did.

I always thought Pulp were fookin awful and by far the most overated indie band of the 90s (along with Travis). Cocker had a big mouth and he liked to do outragious stuff and be outspoken but he had a crap voice and their songs were a bit sh*te for my liking.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #123: Jul 27, 2013 11:04:29 pm
      Finally!!!   People, other than me who think the Sex Pistols Suck.  I listened to a lot of Punk and Hardcore when I was younger and everyone would say how great the Pistols were and how they were the Beatles of punk and I never understood it.  They could barely play instruments, the songs themselves were awful and Johnny Rotten was horrible.  For me, groups like the Exploited and Cockney Rejects were more influential. I listened to "War on the Terraces" no less than 10,000 times.  The 80's Punk bands were the true godfathers and pioneers...7 Seconds, GBH, Minor Threat, Black Flag, Descendents.... The Sex Pistols popularity is due to the shock value and originality. They were truly bad.

I think you're dead on there.

My first visit to this thread. Just picking up on a few of the convos already in here. Have to agree Travis were massively overated in the 90s, I never figured out how such a dreary band could headline Glastonbury and get so much air time on the radio. That was possibly the poorest time for indie music in the uk that i can remember and they were at the forefront of it.

I can understand where some are coming from on the Roses, I actually think Ian Brown as solo artist produced better stuff with several good albums BUT you can't knock some of the absolute Roses classics from that 1st album.

Also understand why some say Nirvana, I was a Seattle sound grunge nut in the 90s and Pearl Jam are still my favourite band of all time and you do have to wonder if Nirvana would have had the same lasting appeal if Kirt hadn't done what he did.

I always thought Pulp were fookin awful and by far the most overated indie band of the 90s (along with Travis). Cocker had a big mouth and he liked to do outragious stuff and be outspoken but he had a crap voice and their songs were a bit sh*te for my liking.

I liked the post Britpop era in actual fact. Travis, Coldplay, Elbow etc. May have been 'inoffensive' and 'bland' to some but it's hard to deny that the likes of Fran Healy, Chris Martin and Guy Garvey are three of the most talented British songwriters from the last 20 years or so. The latter two especially have produced two of the very best British albums of the last 15 years - A Rush Of Blood To The Head and The Seldom Seen Kid.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #124: Jul 30, 2013 04:42:39 am
      To put Elbow in the same bracket as Travis and Coldplay means u know nothing about music.
      U have to properly listen to elbows last 2 albums at least and learn something.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #125: Jul 30, 2013 08:53:18 am
      To put Elbow in the same bracket as Travis and Coldplay means u know nothing about music.

See what I mean? Perfect example of the music snobbery that surrounds Elbow.

If you don't like them, you don't know about music. Utter bollocks.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #126: Jul 30, 2013 03:16:27 pm
      U have to properly listen to elbows last 2 albums at least and learn something.

What sort of music snob are you? For your matter of interest and my own opinion I'll put whoever I want in my own brackets and I'll define who I want to define as 'post Britpop'. Please don't tell me you're one of those 'types' who prefer their music fans by standing idle at gigs looking like spare pricks at a wedding - the sort of tw*ts you would get overpopulating a Radiohead gig. A fantastic band who I'd love to see but let down by their own phenomenally w*nk fisted/woe is me fans. I would rather attend a Nazi rally than spend an evening with those insufferable bas**rds that call themselves 'proper music fans'.
      « Last Edit: Jul 30, 2013 03:25:05 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #127: Jul 30, 2013 03:29:40 pm
      Wow
      So u are attacking the people who, in your scenario may go to see Radiohead and elbow in concert and then say you wouldn't mind seeing them in concert?
      Interesting approach to dismiss a bands musical ability.
      Each to their own.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #128: Jul 30, 2013 03:56:30 pm
      I'm on the fence, Guy Garvey is a fantastic lyricist, but I'm just not that "into" Elbow.

My favourite song by them though is Bones Of You

So I'm there charging around with a juggernaut brow
      Overdraft, speeches and deadlines to make
      Cramming commitments like cats in a sack
      Telephone burn and a purposeful gait

When out of a doorway
      The tentacles stretch of a song that I know
      And the world moves in slow-mo
      Straight to my head like the first cigarette of the day

And it's you and it's me
      And we're sleeping through the day
      And I'm five years ago
      And three thousand miles away

Do I have time? A man of my caliber stood in the street
      Like a sleepwalking teenager I know
      And I dealt with this years ago
      I took a hammer to every memento

But image on image like beads on a rosary
      Pulled through my head as the music takes hold
      And the sickener hits, I can work till I break
      But I love the bones of you that I will never escape

And it's you and it's me
      And I'm five years ago

And I can't move my arm
      For the fear that you will wake
      And I'm five years ago

And I'm five years ago
      And I'm five years ago

And it's you and it's me
      And I'm five years ago

That is just brilliant song writing.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #129: Jul 30, 2013 03:57:36 pm
      Nickelback. They are either hated or loved here in the States by music fans, no middle ground. Count me in the hate camp!  :D  How on earth they've done so well commercially is puzzling.

Nirvana. A decent band that has achieved -- undeserved I think -- mythical status because of Cobain's suicide.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #130: Jul 30, 2013 04:05:14 pm
      Elbow: If you're into music (a "muso"), then you must tug yourself over Elbow, or at least that's what mainstream radio DJs and 'cool' music publications say. Personally, I've never heard anything from them that I would describe as anything beyond average.

Grounds for Divorce, The Birds, Lippy Kids, Mirrorball. Great songs as well as of course One Day Like This

Nickelback. They are either hated or loved here in the States by music fans, no middle ground. Count me in the hate camp!  :D  How on earth they've done so well commercially is puzzling.

Nickelback are shockers. Every song sounds exactly the same!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #131: Jul 30, 2013 04:55:32 pm
      Wow
      So u are attacking the people who, in your scenario may go to see Radiohead and elbow in concert and then say you wouldn't mind seeing them in concert?
      Interesting approach to dismiss a bands musical ability.
      Each to their own.

God no. Not attacking Elbow fans. Not at all. I don't have a clue why you are assuming I am disliking that band. They know how to have a good time and are not afraid to show they are having a good time. Love to see Elbow live. Great great band. But I'd have to have the toleration of a Buddhist monk to attend a Radiohead concert. I guess they are the reason Radiohead get labelled by some as boring. Which to be fair most of their post 2000 stuff is. Take their last album for instance. Codex was a beautiful song but the rest was drudgery in my opinion.
      « Last Edit: Jul 30, 2013 05:05:18 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8519 
      Reply #132: Jul 30, 2013 04:59:27 pm
      God no. Not attacking Elbow fans. Not at all. They know how to have a good time and are not afraid to show they are having a good time. Love to see Elbow live. Great great band. But I'd have to have the toleration of a Buddhist monk to attend a Radiohead concert. I guess they are the reason Radiohead get labelled by some as boring. Which to be fair most of their post 2000 stuff is.

Actually you'd be quite surprised, went to see them in 2008, brilliant and the drunken singalongs to Karma Police were superb.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #133: Jul 30, 2013 05:03:33 pm
      Actually you'd be quite surprised, went to see them in 2008, brilliant and the drunken singalongs to Karma Police were superb.

I guess it depends on where the gig is admittedly. The small gigs they do like that one two years ago at Glastonbury looked dreadful though. I guess it wasn't ever going to be judging by the relative weakness of the album they were playing from.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #134: Jul 30, 2013 05:06:10 pm
      I have Radiohead in concert 6 times, Thom Yorke solo once and atoms for peace band twice and gonna see them again twice in October.
      Incredible live band and stage show.
      Run the whole range from heavy guitar rock to electronica to beautiful simplicity.
      By far the best concerts I have ever been to

Do kind of agree though about some if the people who go to the concerts though!

Would love to see elbow live...and also would love to see Underworld.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8519 
      Reply #135: Jul 30, 2013 05:06:22 pm
      I guess it depends on where the gig is admittedly. The small gigs they do at Glastonbury like that one two years ago looked dreadful though.

Could be right, haven't seen them recently, that was the In Rainbows tour at Old Trafford Cricket Ground.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #136: Jul 30, 2013 05:09:01 pm
      I have Radiohead in concert 6 times, Thom Yorke solo once and atoms for peace band twice and gonna see them again twice in October.
      Incredible live band and stage show.
      Run the whole range from heavy guitar rock to electronica to beautiful simplicity.
      By far the best concerts I have ever been to

Do kind of agree though about some if the people who go to the concerts though!

Would love to see elbow live...and also would love to see Underworld.

Never been to see Bruce Springsteen live then?!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8519 
      Reply #137: Jul 30, 2013 05:23:20 pm
      Never been to see Bruce Springsteen live then?!

One I definitely want to do, my brother went to see him at the Etihad last year, apart from Roger Waters at the Echo Arena, he said best gig he's been to.

Quick Reply