Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Most Overrated Bands Ever

Read 25906 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Most Overrated Bands Ever
      Reply #138: Jul 30, 2013 05:30:09 pm
      One I definitely want to do, my brother went to see him at the Etihad last year, apart from Roger Waters at the Echo Arena, he said best gig he's been to.

I've heard so many great things about the Roger Waters gig. Looks and sounds incredible.

Springsteen was a class above anyone else I've ever seen though. On a musical and performance level it was unlike anything I've ever heard. The E Street Band were just incredible especially Roy Bittan on piano and Max Weinberg on drums. Clarence Clemons nephew Jake more than made up for the big man's loss. He was outstanding. Would have done his uncle proud. Could quite happily never go and see another gig after that one back in June. Puts the rest to shame!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #139: Jul 30, 2013 05:32:28 pm
      Am I actually the only person on here who's a bit "meh" when it comes to Springsteen?  :-\

Definitely in the hate camp for Nickleback, by the way  >:(
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #140: Jul 30, 2013 05:40:05 pm
      Am I actually the only person on here who's a bit "meh" when it comes to Springsteen?  :-\

I'm sure there's something for everyone when it comes to Bruce. I was like that myself a few years. I didn't dislike his music or anything it's just I never cottoned on to it. Then I found a great song of his called The Ghost of Tom Joad and instantly fell in love with his music. If you saw him live I have no doubt you would be impressed.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #141: Jul 30, 2013 07:14:40 pm
      Also saw roger water's The Wall the other year here at the coliseum in LA. Amazing.
      Would love to see Bruce!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #142: Jul 30, 2013 08:32:08 pm

Nope. I'm the same way. Just don't dig his music despite trying to get into it a few times.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,141 posts | 1619 
      Reply #143: Jul 30, 2013 11:55:08 pm
      Not sure if these have been mentioned - Kasabian.

I think they over-rate themselves to be fair, pretty sure one of them described Velociraptor as the best British album since Definitely Maybe. Which just sums them up - they're absolutely desperate to be Oasis and to be seen to be bringing back that whole Britpop era. They have one or two decent tracks on each of their albums, but there isn't an album of theirs that I could listen to.

Absolutely beyond me how they continue to find success, especially because they don't seem to do anything different on their albums, each one is just the same as the last.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #144: Jul 31, 2013 03:55:43 am
      I'm sure there's something for everyone when it comes to Bruce. I was like that myself a few years. I didn't dislike his music or anything it's just I never cottoned on to it. Then I found a great song of his called The Ghost of Tom Joad and instantly fell in love with his music. If you saw him live I have no doubt you would be impressed.

Exactly!
      For a long time I didn't really get all the fuss about Springsteen either, until I got totally addicted to this song (and this performance in particular):

Springsteen - Lost in the Flood

And the rest came naturally...
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #145: Jul 31, 2013 08:52:01 am
      Exactly!
      For a long time I didn't really get all the fuss about Springsteen either, until I got totally addicted to this song (and this performance in particular):

As soon as he starts singing it kills it for me, just don't get the attraction but I know a LOT of people do. Purely a matter of taste but it does nothing for me.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #146: Aug 01, 2013 08:32:08 pm
      Never really got into Bruce Springsteen, but I can appreciate what he does. You can add Foo Fighters to that list too. I bet both are immense live and if I went I would love them both. 
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #147: Aug 01, 2013 09:50:24 pm
      Never really got into Bruce Springsteen, but I can appreciate what he does. You can add Foo Fighters to that list too. I bet both are immense live and if I went I would love them both. 

Never got Foo Fighters myself. Really like Dave Grohl but I'm just not into his music.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #148: Aug 01, 2013 09:59:02 pm
      Never got Foo Fighters myself. Really like Dave Grohl but I'm just not into his music.

Listen to The Colour and the Shape, it's their best work I think
      Scottbot

• 9,537 posts | 2126 
      Reply #149: Aug 01, 2013 11:44:29 pm
      Am I actually the only person on here who's a bit "meh" when it comes to Springsteen?

I'm with you, I never understood how Springsteen got so famous coz his music is cheesy and a bit shi....te
      KobeWorst
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 458 posts | 12 
      Reply #150: Aug 01, 2013 11:46:45 pm
      Professor Green, his voice goes through me like a Sunday morning ruby.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #151: Aug 02, 2013 12:25:20 pm
      I'm with you, I never understood how Springsteen got so famous coz his music is cheesy and a bit shi....te

Cheesy ??? His music is about his struggles growing up and trying to make a living, something most people relate to. His songs are basically mini-stories or poems, and not full of clichés either. I don't know anyone that can write a song as well, and as many, as he can, each with a different story.

You may not like his music but I don't think he's cheesy at all.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8429 
      Reply #152: Aug 02, 2013 02:40:09 pm
      Cheesy ??? His music is about his struggles growing up and trying to make a living, something most people relate to. His songs are basically mini-stories or poems, and not full of clichés either. I don't know anyone that can write a song as well, and as many, as he can, each with a different story.

You may not like his music but I don't think he's cheesy at all.

All about opinions and tastes, I'm with you though, think his music and lyrics are superb and his live shows with the E Street Band are supposed to be something else, especially as they change the line up of songs for every live show.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #153: Aug 05, 2013 01:17:54 am

Springsteen is an artist/Band that has an undeserved label on him. The " He is all about America and its all Pro US music"...It really cannot be further from the truth.  His music is about growing up in the US and working class, but its not preachy and propaganda . Its hard to explain, It comes across as being American but its just being a normal, person with normal problems that everyone has regardless of being American or English or European. The Beatles were English and wrote about things they experienced as English but it is relatable to Americans. You know what I mean?

His concerts are UNREAL. He is so good live. I highkly recommend seeing him.  I know a lot of people who were just casual, music fans. Knew some of Bruces songs here and there. But they saw him live and said it was the best concert they have seen and our now HUGE fans of Bruce.

As too Nickelback....I dont think their is a set of balls on Earth big enough for them to suck on. Awful. They are just awful and it actually makes me angry they exist. I cant explain how much they suck. Its maddening. They Suck his giant balls of suck.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #154: Aug 05, 2013 02:35:44 am
      It's hard to sum up Springsteen and his greatness, but I think he does for America in music what Steinbeck did to America in literature is the best way to describe it.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #155: Aug 05, 2013 03:29:10 am
      Springsteen is an artist/Band that has an undeserved label on him. The " He is all about America and its all Pro US music"...It really cannot be further from the truth.  His music is about growing up in the US and working class, but its not preachy and propaganda . Its hard to explain, It comes across as being American but its just being a normal, person with normal problems that everyone has regardless of being American or English or European. The Beatles were English and wrote about things they experienced as English but it is relatable to Americans. You know what I mean?

Yeah, I understand what you're saying but for me, it's not about him being too "all American". I actually just don't like his vocal style. Some of the music is ok and with a different voice, maybe I'd think it was more than ok. Hard to explain but it sounds like someone doing an impression of what a manly singer should sound like.
      I know I'm in the minority here but I'm not being deliberately obtuse, I've just never liked him.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #156: Aug 05, 2013 05:28:35 am
      I love Springsteen, I understand that sometimes it sounds sappy or emotional but that is the hometown USA or at least how they portray it. I think on the whole he got it right. I mean I love 'Atlantic City' what a song.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,959 posts | 3943 
      Reply #157: Aug 05, 2013 09:41:08 am

Same as with Springsteen, I dismissed has another al American cosmetic faud music extravaganza, have I ever been more mlstaken?
      With the years comes a readiness to questiion one's own perception and so if was with Bruce. People whose musical pedigree I respected were into BS in a big way to say nothing of being a massive fan of Nils Loffgren who plays lead in the band, so listened again.
      To be honest it was embarrassing, those Americans who felt a surge of patriotism after hearing Star Spangled Banner by Jimi Hendrix know what I'm talking about.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #158: Aug 05, 2013 12:47:11 pm
      Bruce once said his songs were about the distance between the American dream and the American reality (or words to that effect). In general, it's about stuff everyone can relate to. I surely do!
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #159: Aug 05, 2013 02:45:57 pm
      Yeah, I understand what you're saying but for me, it's not about him being too "all American". I actually just don't like his vocal style. Some of the music is ok and with a different voice, maybe I'd think it was more than ok. Hard to explain but it sounds like someone doing an impression of what a manly singer should sound like.
      I know I'm in the minority here but I'm not being deliberately obtuse, I've just never liked him.

Thats fine...You dont like him, no problem At least you have heard his music and gave it a chance instead of people who just dislike Bruce because they think its all "Rah-Rah America is great"... He sings and writes songs about his time growing up in New Jersey and Asbury Park which is now arun down ghost town, which used to be a beauiful beach area w/ grand hotels and stores and rides... but its not specific to New Jersey or the US. The cultural aspects and Issues cross geography, When he sings about the NJ Shore and the towns that are now depressed and run down and just forgotten, can be instantly compared to say Blackpooi. You can make the correlation as it relates to you and your specific experiences.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #160: Aug 11, 2013 10:46:49 pm
      Never rated Springsteen in general until I took up running a few years back - entire back catalogue got me through a whole lot of miles.

Love it and really, really different to what I expected - can't get enough when I'm on the track.

Quick Reply