Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. VOTE: Where will Liverpool finish in 2013/14? (Poll date: June 2013)

Champions
      11 (6.1%)
      Runners Up
      3 (1.7%)
      3rd or 4th, Champions League places
      99 (55%)
      5th, Europa League place
      48 (26.7%)
      6th to 8th
      17 (9.4%)
      9th to 12th
      0 (0%)
      Even lower
      2 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 176

Voting closed: Jul 02, 2013 10:09:10 am

2013/14 - Where will we finish?

Read 29007 times
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Re: 2013/14 - Where will we finish?
      Reply #253: Mar 03, 2014 10:14:46 pm
      I've never been happier to be so embarrassingly wrong :laugh:

To be honest I was right up there with yah, thought United would get third as well :D like you said I am happy I am 100% wrong
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,071 posts | 2746 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #254: Mar 03, 2014 10:18:53 pm
      I cant help but feel if we walk away from old trafford with 3 points we will go and win it, though I don't think its essential to win there for us to win the league
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #255: Mar 03, 2014 10:48:04 pm
      I voted 5th. Don't remember it tho! I do remember at the time tho that all I wanted this season was an improvement on the previous year, which 5th would have been. Rodgers had said that really CL qualification would have been next season's goal.

Certainly would change that vote now! :)
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #256: Mar 03, 2014 11:16:08 pm
      Teams are scared to play us now, thats the difference between us and Arsenal, Chelsea. Man city still scare people and I honestly think this title will be won depending on city's games in hand and us winning the city and chelsea games at home. If we lose those two games I think we will just lose out. Its so tight at the moment one slip up like Arsenals the other day and you can be considered out of it and thats when other teams will attack you and try to derail you. WE NEED TO WIN EVERY GAME NOW.
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #257: Mar 03, 2014 11:47:14 pm
      FIRST
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,896 posts | 4968 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #258: Mar 04, 2014 12:03:46 am
      My real worry is that when we play Manure, that b******d Evra will do something to rile Suarez which may either get Suarez sent off or worse.

Manure are just the c**ts to not allow us to challenge for the title by taking out our best and volatile player.

I hope and pray that *all* our players come back to Liverpool safe after playing Manure.

Hope the BR makes sure that everyone in our team understands *not* to react with whatever Manure throws at us.

If bacon face was still in charge I'd be very cautious that's for sure, but he's not and even when mancs are needing so many snookers it's not in Moyes DNA to resort to such underhand tactics,

However they won't take it lying down us going there a tearing them new holes, so the tackles will be flying in make no mistake,

We need a strong ref, not WPC Webb, not fat boy Dowd, nor that other f***in numpty from greater mancshit, not entirely sure who, perhaps we could persuade Collina out of retirement one last time,

The game needs to be allowed to flow, no stop/start every 5mins,
      Anyhoo,

I'm sticking with 3rd, said it in page 1 of this thread albeit hypothetically, no way am I ruling out wearing the prem crown for next season tho, for me Saints result was a defining moment, our next one won't be at the toilet but at Home when Citeh visit, beating them will guarantee 3rd IMO

YNWA
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #259: Mar 04, 2014 12:13:00 am
      Put something together quickly:
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #260: Mar 04, 2014 08:48:01 am
      If bacon face was still in charge I'd be very cautious that's for sure, but he's not and even when mancs are needing so many snookers it's not in Moyes DNA to resort to such underhand tactics,

However they won't take it lying down us going there a tearing them new holes, so the tackles will be flying in make no mistake,

We need a strong ref, not WPC Webb, not fat boy Dowd, nor that other f***in numpty from greater mancshit, not entirely sure who, perhaps we could persuade Collina out of retirement one last time,

The game needs to be allowed to flow, no stop/start every 5mins,
      Anyhoo,

I'm sticking with 3rd, said it in page 1 of this thread albeit hypothetically, no way am I ruling out wearing the prem crown for next season tho, for me Saints result was a defining moment, our next one won't be at the toilet but at Home when Citeh visit, beating them will guarantee 3rd IMO

YNWA

I understand Webb is the foooooking ref.
      A self-confessed Manure fan - how can he ref our games.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,071 posts | 2746 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #261: Mar 04, 2014 09:24:19 am
      Down to 5/1 with Paddy Powers Arsenal out to 16/1...
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,670 posts | 6685 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #262: Mar 04, 2014 10:09:27 am
      We're gonna finish 1st. F**k the rest of them.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #263: Mar 04, 2014 02:09:10 pm
      I understand Webb is the foooooking ref.
      A self-confessed Manure fan - how can he ref our games.

Please tell me that's not true.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #264: Mar 04, 2014 06:43:13 pm
      Well. We've got 10 games to go and we are building momentum at the right time. A few games back, the realists were saying we will probably get top 4, but probably won't be able to challenge for the title. Now, they're saying we should get top 4, and have a decent chance to challenge for the title.

I'm gona put together a quick fixture list and look at some stats over the past 4 or 5 seasons of how many points it takes to get top 4 and how many it takes to win the title. I'll post it in here in the next 30 mins...
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      Reply #265: Mar 04, 2014 09:02:18 pm
      Trying to post the images but my internet keeps crashing as i press post so I will try again later tonight!
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      Reply #266: Mar 05, 2014 01:31:47 pm
      Right, I’ve looked at the remaining fixtures in all competitions of the current top 5 in the league. I believe now that Everton and United won’t be able to catch us and in fact we’ll even put more distance between them and ourselves, so I haven’t bothered to look at any of their games.
      So here are the fixtures. Note a few things: With regards to Champions league I have only shown the quarters and semis on Chelsea’s fixture list since I highly doubt that Arsenal or City will progress. Even if they do, all the more fixtures for them.  I have shown the FA cup fixtures for City and Arsenal. Should they both progress to the semis, Arsenal’s game with West Ham would have to be rescheduled as would our home game with City. And I’ve shown likely dates for when those games should be rescheduled. I’ve done the same with City’s game Vs Villa since that is due to be rescheduled any day now, but I have shown the likely times for when that’ll be. And finally I have shown the Europa League possible games for Spurs. They definitely have another 2 games to play in that (Vs Benfica) and a possible 2,4 or 5 more should they progress.

Anyway, here’s what it looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/o1qhylk.png
      Our lack of games is a huge advantage here. Especially considering Spurs, City and Chelsea all have to play us at Anfield. Those games against City and Chelsea will be pivotal with regard to the title race. And assuming Chelsea progress to the CL quarters, their fixtures around the start off April look tricky. They wouldn’t have an easy CL opponent considering the quality going through to the last 8 (minus the winner of the Man U/ Olympiakos game). Same goes for Spurs (to a lesser extent) with the Europa League.

Next, the top 5 teams from the past 5 seasons and how many points they finished with. Showing average points needed to finish top or 4th. Note that the team who finished in 4th place did not necessarily have the number of points NEEDED to finish 4th – e.g. in 08/09 Arsenal finished 4th with 72 points, but could have still finished there with just 64 points as the team in 5th (Everton) had only 63 points. Same goes for winning the title.
      Here’s what that looks like, with the current top 5 at the bottom.

http://i.imgur.com/1PFWDfl.png

First off, let’s look at 4th place: It has taken an average of 67 points to finish 4th and 73 points has always been enough to finish there. We have 59 points currently, so another 8 points from our remaining games means we might finish 4th and another 14 points mean we would be in an excellent position to finish there.  The expected points target for this season is based on the teams currently occupying 1st and 5th. So if Spurs continue their average points per game for the remaining 10 games, they would finish with 71 points, meaning it would take 72 for a 4th placed finish.  Of course Spurs could improve their average points per game and finish with more points than 71; however, I would still be surprised to see us finish below them now.  Big game when we play them at our place. That could see us out of their reach and hopefully not getting drawn into a battle for 4th.
      So now, looking at what we’re all dreaming of right now but aren’t letting ourselves believe just yet I’m aware that statement only actually rings true for a number of people and there are already plenty who believe we’ll win it – and good on them. Anyway, the league title. 1st place. It is possible isn’t it? And the more you look at the fixtures graphic, the more you believe we might just have the upper hand.  So what do we have to do, to win the league? If city win their 2 games in hand they will leapfrog us, but the gap between us and top would remain 4 points. So let’s assume they do, just as a worst case scenario.  We would have to catch 4 points on Chelsea and City over the next 10 games to win the title. Assuming by catching 4 points, our goal difference improved enough to beat City’s GD.  With 59 points, we need 24 points from a possible 30 to finish with 84 points – the average needed to win it over the past 5 seasons. Should Chelsea and City keep up their points per game average, it would take 86 points to win it this season, in which case we would need 27 points from a possible 30. 24 points sounds do-able. 27 points perhaps not. But an awful lot hangs on the 2 games at Anfield Vs Chelsea and City. I believe that it will take 83 or 84 points to win the league this season.
      So can we get 24 or 25 points from a possible 30 in those remaining games? You’re looking at winning 7 of them at least and drawing the other 3 (24 points). Or better, winning 8 and drawing 2 or drawing 1 and losing 1 (25 or 26 points).  Of course it depends which games you win and which you draw/lose. Better to beat City and Chelsea and draw against Spurs/ United than vice versa.
      Maintaining our average PPG, we would finish on 80 or 81 points I believe.
      There is still a fair bit to go, and I reckon at the end of March we will have a really good idea of just how far this team can go. Those next 4 games will be crucial.
      I personally believe we will finish comfortably inside the top 4 and that it’s actually Arsenal and Spurs in a fight for 4th place now (Arsenal will pip them to it). Will we do better than 3rd? I think so. Better than 2nd? We shall see.

To win the league from here will take a few things: The same determination shown by the lads so far, the same calmness and brilliance by Brendan, the same leadership of Steven Gerrard that we’ve seen perhaps better than ever this season, and the belief of everyone that we can do it – and a little bit of luck!

But from here, let’s take it one game at a time, and what better place to start, than with victory at Old Trafford.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,670 posts | 6685 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #267: Mar 06, 2014 08:29:15 am
      A + for your efforts Ally. Didn't have time to read it all as at work but you have gone to a lot of trouble doing that so the + is thoroughly deserved.

No matter what happens with the other teams, let's just go out and win every game and hope the others F***ing choke.

Come on You Reds.

It's ours for the taking.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #268: Mar 06, 2014 10:19:45 pm
      We beat the scummy mancs and Cardiff and its deffo ON !!!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,002 posts | 3350 
      Reply #269: Apr 16, 2014 02:54:08 pm
      Just re-read this thread from start to finish and some of the posts on the first 5 or 6 pages are F***ing comical looking back.

Somebody putting a ton on us finishing 6th. :lmao: That's laughable for a completely different reason.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,282 posts | 1513 
      Reply #270: Apr 16, 2014 07:27:24 pm
      I was happy predicting 5th for us this season, and anything above that a bonus. Now I'm just terrified to predict anything more, just keeping quiet and praying like F**k.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #271: Apr 16, 2014 07:29:24 pm
      I was happy predicting 5th for us this season, and anything above that a bonus. Now I'm just terrified to predict anything more, just keeping quiet and praying like F**k.

I predicted 5th too, thought we'd JUST miss out on 4th to Arsenal or somebody. How wrong was I. Arsenal have become the bottlers again.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #272: Apr 16, 2014 07:46:57 pm
      I said 1st, and although there was an element of tongue in cheek I also couldn't see many reasons why we couldn't challenge given our form in the 2nd half of last season, and the goals target BR set, which we have already passed.

Quick Reply