Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Iago Aspas (Liverpool -> Sevilla -> Celta Vigo)

Read 73445 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Re: Iago Aspas Player Thread
      Reply #345: Apr 28, 2014 03:51:26 pm
      There's only one reason he's still here.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #346: Apr 28, 2014 03:57:45 pm
      Fuk me don't hang the lad for a sh*t corner.

As Luke said his first touches were world class as was his link up with Sterling on god same play. He has hardly kicked a ball for us in 2014 showed genuine desire had disappointment in himself after his cock ups. Looked more fussed the Studge if I'm honest.

He played a deft little return ball to Suarez (I think) on the edge of their box.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #347: Apr 28, 2014 04:07:52 pm
      Needs to be sent packing just for that F***ing corner.

In that case lets get rid of Coutinho, Flanagan, Gerrard, Suarez, Sterling etc. because they did more things wrong yesterday than Aspas. Give the lad a F***ing break!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #348: Apr 28, 2014 04:09:16 pm
      Unsure of what he adds to the team when he comes on. Played a small part against Hull when I was at that game and constantly gave the ball away.

Not sure he is good enough. Not just based on Sunday but when he has played. There's no denying his passion though. Hard to get in to a team and get a run of games when you're behind Sturridge, Suarez and Sterling though.

What do you expect when he hasn't had enough game time to adjust to a completely different league and style?
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #349: Apr 28, 2014 06:59:09 pm
      What do you expect when he hasn't had enough game time to adjust to a completely different league and style?

I do agree half heartedly but again surely he have more sub appearances even if he has shown glimpses of anything in training?

I do think he will be off in the summer.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #350: Apr 28, 2014 07:08:06 pm
      Your kidding yourself if you think this lad has the ability to be a success here. He hasn't the stones to play for a big club in my eyes. Useless IMO!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,205 posts | 2799 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #351: Apr 28, 2014 07:18:22 pm
      Made a cock of the corner but why some are writing him off I don't know
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #352: Apr 28, 2014 07:26:17 pm
      I don't think we can really say yet. That injury Aspas suffered early one kinda killed any momentum he had.

Personally, I think he's got some talent about him -- not necessarily great, but a decent 3rd/4th choice guy. It's really hard to say because he's only started 5 matches. That's it.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,340 posts | 2817 
      Reply #353: Apr 28, 2014 07:32:46 pm
      In that case lets get rid of Coutinho, Flanagan, Gerrard, Suarez, Sterling etc. because they did more things wrong yesterday than Aspas. Give the lad a f**king break!

Was more of a joke really, don't think we should get rid of him just because of the corner! It was just such a frustrating moment, similar to Glen deciding to take a quick free kick when we were trying to defend a lead against City. Some of our lads seem prone to ridiculous things at crucial times.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #354: Apr 28, 2014 08:36:08 pm
      Think he will seek a loan move next season to get some game time.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #355: Apr 29, 2014 07:08:56 am
      Didn't Swansea want him on loan or something?

Send him there on loan next season.  Large Spanish contingent there.  He'll be playing in a team that plays the right way.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,220 posts | 4919 
      Reply #356: Apr 29, 2014 08:53:06 am
      I don't see any benefit in loaning out Aspas next season.

He'll be 27 by the time the season starts and if Brendan thinks he isn't good enough then let him go even on a free if needs be.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #357: Apr 29, 2014 10:10:25 am
      I don't see any benefit in loaning out Aspas next season.

He'll be 27 by the time the season starts and if Brendan thinks he isn't good enough then let him go even on a free if needs be.

If anyone was ever surplus to requirements..........
      That in itself is a damning comment with the skeleton squad we have.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #358: Apr 29, 2014 11:26:10 am
      He must take wicked corners in training
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #359: Apr 29, 2014 02:45:55 pm
      Didn't Swansea want him on loan or something?

Send him there on loan next season.  Large Spanish contingent there.  He'll be playing in a team that plays the right way.

If I'm remembering this correctly: Swansea wanted to buy Aspas outright from Celta Vigo but we're the ones who landed him. Laudrup still wanted him on loan in January once he came here.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,741 posts | 882 
      Reply #360: Apr 30, 2014 01:50:11 pm
      Players like Aspas need time. Game time.

We all know players who started out with a rough patch, who were criticised, who fans wanted to be rid of... who are now firmly in our squad, well loved, and playing week in, week out.

This season has been an odd one. We've had so few games outside of the Premier League that we've not given those 'fringe players' a real chance. In previous seasons, we've had opportunity to do so - for example Shelvey was a regular in the Europa games. Some of those players just do not cut it - Shelvey again - but until we give them a real go, we won't know any better.

Aspas, Llori, Moses, Alberto all came in at the start of this season and haven't had enough time to get going. Their games have been few and far between, and their substitute appearances have typically been with the role to help wind down the games at the end.

We saw it with Sterling. He wasn't performing that great at the start of the season - but look at him now. He's had a solid run in the team, lots of game time, week after week.. and he's one of our top players.

We've now got opportunity - with the pre-season games, Champions League games (if we get a weak side to go up against), and cup competitions coming up in the next 6 months.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #361: Apr 30, 2014 09:37:57 pm
      Players like Aspas need time. Game time.

We all know players who started out with a rough patch, who were criticised, who fans wanted to be rid of... who are now firmly in our squad, well loved, and playing week in, week out.

This season has been an odd one. We've had so few games outside of the Premier League that we've not given those 'fringe players' a real chance. In previous seasons, we've had opportunity to do so - for example Shelvey was a regular in the Europa games. Some of those players just do not cut it - Shelvey again - but until we give them a real go, we won't know any better.

Aspas, Llori, Moses, Alberto all came in at the start of this season and haven't had enough time to get going. Their games have been few and far between, and their substitute appearances have typically been with the role to help wind down the games at the end.

We saw it with Sterling. He wasn't performing that great at the start of the season - but look at him now. He's had a solid run in the team, lots of game time, week after week.. and he's one of our top players.

We've now got opportunity - with the pre-season games, Champions League games (if we get a weak side to go up against), and cup competitions coming up in the next 6 months.

You really do seem to take a liking to players who definitely wont be here next season.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #362: May 03, 2014 05:56:15 am
      You really do seem to take a liking to players who definitely wont be here next season.

I totally get his point.

I don't want any player given the privileged of wearing our honorable shirt to fail and always want them given the time to find their feet.
      I too hope that another preseason may lead to him showing the quality that made our club put an offer on the table last year.
      If he moves on fair enough, but i hope he shows glimmers that mean he stays.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #363: May 10, 2014 04:29:01 pm
      Liverpool have agreed on a settlement with Celta Vigo on a final payment regarding the transfer of Iago Aspas.

Spanish forward Iago Aspas has not exactly had the dream start to life in England. The former Celta Vigo attacker arrived on Anfield for a fee in the region of £7.7 million after an excellent season in La Liga.

But despite his excellent record in Spain the Premier League has not been kind to him. He has struggled to break into the Liverpool first-team for much of the campaign and in his 15 appearances has scored just once.

With that in mind it has been rumoured for some time that he could leave the club this summer - returning to Spain.

He dispelled that rumour today, stating:

I have not thought about my future yet. I still have three more years under contract at the club. I took a big jump when I decided to move from Celta to Liverpool and I'm not going to jump off a bridge wanting to leave the club just one year after.”

But the truth is Liverpool have actually only just sorted out the finer points of this deal - bringing to an end a lengthy dispute between the club and Celta Vigo.

Essentially the issue has been over payments owed to the clubs which helped shape his talents before he even moved to Celta. Payment is due to any team who has helped in the development of a player between the age of twelve and 23 - at which point Aspas has played not just for Celta but hometown club Moana, Santa Marina and Rapido de Bouzas.

The three teams were owed €22.5k, €22.5k again and €45k respectively for their help developing the now 26-year-old player.

After months of quite bitter bickering between Liverpool and Celta a settlement has now been reached - leaving Liverpool an irritating but not costly €90k out of pocket - money they have previously argued Celta Vigo should be paying.

The case was on the brink of being reported to FIFA but Liverpool appear to have avoided a potentially damaging legal battle by giving in on the issue and paying up the cash.

For the three clubs involved it is massive money - so they will be very pleased to have received their payment.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/05/09/liverpool-finally-settle-finer-parts-of-77m-deal-after-10-month/

Seems such a trivial amount of money for Liverpool to be getting involved in such a long standing argument.
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #364: May 10, 2014 08:04:54 pm
      Liverpool have agreed on a settlement with Celta Vigo on a final payment regarding the transfer of Iago Aspas.

Spanish forward Iago Aspas has not exactly had the dream start to life in England. The former Celta Vigo attacker arrived on Anfield for a fee in the region of £7.7 million after an excellent season in La Liga.

But despite his excellent record in Spain the Premier League has not been kind to him. He has struggled to break into the Liverpool first-team for much of the campaign and in his 15 appearances has scored just once.

With that in mind it has been rumoured for some time that he could leave the club this summer - returning to Spain.

He dispelled that rumour today, stating:

I have not thought about my future yet. I still have three more years under contract at the club. I took a big jump when I decided to move from Celta to Liverpool and I'm not going to jump off a bridge wanting to leave the club just one year after.”

But the truth is Liverpool have actually only just sorted out the finer points of this deal - bringing to an end a lengthy dispute between the club and Celta Vigo.

Essentially the issue has been over payments owed to the clubs which helped shape his talents before he even moved to Celta. Payment is due to any team who has helped in the development of a player between the age of twelve and 23 - at which point Aspas has played not just for Celta but hometown club Moana, Santa Marina and Rapido de Bouzas.

The three teams were owed €22.5k, €22.5k again and €45k respectively for their help developing the now 26-year-old player.

After months of quite bitter bickering between Liverpool and Celta a settlement has now been reached - leaving Liverpool an irritating but not costly €90k out of pocket - money they have previously argued Celta Vigo should be paying.

The case was on the brink of being reported to FIFA but Liverpool appear to have avoided a potentially damaging legal battle by giving in on the issue and paying up the cash.

For the three clubs involved it is massive money - so they will be very pleased to have received their payment.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/05/09/liverpool-finally-settle-finer-parts-of-77m-deal-after-10-month/

Seems such a trivial amount of money for Liverpool to be getting involved in such a long standing argument.

Yes it's trivial and unbecoming, but would you really pay a penny more than you absolutely had to for this guy? It's not like it will be recouped from the summer sale either. Loan to Swansea is a good option.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,688 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #365: Jul 14, 2014 08:43:09 pm
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #366: Jul 14, 2014 08:51:21 pm
      Good get him off the wage book. We need to move on. Hes 26 without the physicality to manage the premier league. There was no hope.
      Thanks you for the service Iago, good luck with your future ventures. Wasn't a good fit, hopefully this suits both parties.
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #367: Jul 14, 2014 09:33:40 pm
      Not unhappy to see him go, he was never up to wearing that hallowed #9 shirt. Time for Sturridge to take it on.
      Does this mean Borini more likely to stay now as a backup option?

Quick Reply