Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 307794 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #115: Aug 24, 2013 10:27:52 pm

I think it's a brave man who would say they would still have Reina ahead of Mignolet in goal right now. Over a course of a career only time will tell who is better because, after all, it's two games of Mignolet's career versus 8 years of great service from Pepe (admittedly the last two seasons were poor by his standards, average by anyone's standards) but I think you'd have to be a deluded idiot to not have anyone other than our Belgian keeper in at the moment. As debuts go, he's been fantastic.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #116: Aug 24, 2013 10:28:34 pm
      I think it's a brave man who would say they would still have Reina ahead of Mignolet in goal right now.
      Exactly.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #117: Aug 24, 2013 10:30:17 pm
      I think it's a brave man who would say they would still have Reina ahead of Mignolet in goal right now.
      Where did I say right now?

Mig is good, but has a long way to go to be in a different class than Pepe.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #118: Aug 24, 2013 10:32:51 pm

It's not really a question of that. Reina's gone, Mignolet's here to stay. Can't compare the two.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      Reply #119: Aug 24, 2013 10:39:50 pm

He already is.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #120: Aug 24, 2013 11:06:26 pm
      Don't think there is any reason to compare and the contrast the two keepers.

I have been impressed with Migs since his first pre-season match and continue to be so.

I feel very secure with him between the sticks.

Pepe is a red through and through and will always be thought of as a legend.

Migs has the potential to be one of our greatest's and I hope he is here for a decade.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,327 posts | 181 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #121: Aug 24, 2013 11:15:03 pm
      That last save was just phenomenal. The shot was at close range and had so much power it's quite amazing he was able to stop it with one hand. I was expecting that to be a goal for sure.

And I don't think Reina would've stopped that, at least not the Reina from the last couple of years, or even in general.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #122: Aug 25, 2013 12:45:54 am
      Brilliant shot stopper, the rest is still questionable though
      4EVER_RED_2003
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts |
      • IBWT
      Reply #123: Aug 25, 2013 04:52:37 am
      on their own days there isnt too much difference between reina and mignolet, but i think mignolet has much better consistency for sure and i am saying that after watching his last season with sunderland.

reina has amazing reflexes that mignolet hasnt got but mignolet doesnt need that cos hes got great height and stature and anticipation.

i cant remember reina ever earning us two successive 3 points...dont get me wrong reina was my hero when i was younger.

if mig goes on to show the same quality of a personality as reina did, then what ah signing rodgers.
      « Last Edit: Aug 25, 2013 04:57:53 am by 4EVER_RED_2003 »
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #124: Aug 25, 2013 07:15:16 am
      As any player, he needs to improve: his handling, distribution, ball at feet nevertheless he is brilliant keeper and has a lot of passion for winning. Great signing and very cheap.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #125: Aug 25, 2013 09:34:33 am
      Saved 4 pts for us already. Reflexes like a cat.

Great signing!
      HKIred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 751 posts | 34 
      Reply #126: Aug 25, 2013 11:35:32 am
      Andrew Beasley ‏@BassTunedToRed 39m
      Mignolet has made a total of 8 saves for #LFC in two games so far. Pepe Reina made 8 in total in the first 5 games last season, conceding 10

8 + 10 = 15 divided by 5 games is 3,6 against Migs 4. It seems that our defence is still underperforming and we've lucky that Migs is on top of his game right now. Defence needs to be strenghen for that inevitable Migs bad day at the office.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #127: Aug 25, 2013 11:37:55 am
      Mignolet has made a total of 8 saves for #LFC in two games so far. Pepe Reina made 8 in total in the first 5 games last season, conceding 10

8 + 10 = 15 divided by 5 games is 3,6 against Migs 4. It seems that our defence is still underperforming and we've lucky that Migs is on top of his game right now. Defence needs to be strenghen for that inevitable Migs bad day at the office.

8 + 10 =15? 15 ÷ 3 = 3.6? Are you sure?

HKIred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 751 posts | 34 
      Reply #128: Aug 25, 2013 12:58:22 pm
      8 + 10 =15? 15 ÷ 3 = 3.6? Are you sure?

Oops. I and math  xxxxx:action-smiley-065: 8 + 10 =18, 18 ÷ 5 = 3.6  ~ four efforts on target against our goal per game in first five matches.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #129: Aug 25, 2013 01:29:16 pm
      As far as being a shot stopper goes, Mignolet is world class in that attribute. Not too much on the other things in his game like distribution in particular, but you know what's more important is preventing goals. And he's bailed us out in back-to-back matches. That's 4 points we've picked up as a result of Simon. Quality signing.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #130: Aug 25, 2013 01:44:47 pm

Defence held one the best strikers in the league yesterday! When called on Mignolet done his job, doesn't matter if its 1 save or 12 saves really once he saves it
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #131: Aug 25, 2013 03:24:10 pm
      2 clean sheets in his first 2 games. Dream start eh? Not gonna get carried away. He'll need a season, at least, before comparisons with Pepe can start.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #132: Aug 25, 2013 03:28:46 pm
      We don't need to compare him with Reina because he is different player. He will do a name for himself. Well done Simon
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #133: Aug 25, 2013 06:44:41 pm
      The lad will be working hard on the parts of his game that he needs to improve. Not a bad start though is it? And yeah the defence needs to improve and work on their understandings, and im certain that they will improve. I know we havent conceded but thats mainly down to a bit of good fortune, which we are due! One things for certain,  we will have to be at it on Sunday against manure.Work in progrrss but one i have real belief in. Said all summer if we can get off to a good start that we can surprise a lot of the doubters. Keep it going Redmen.
      canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #134: Aug 25, 2013 11:49:18 pm
      Think simon will continue to improve think he is a money keeper rises to the occasion,is still a work in progress but we got him at a bargain price.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #135: Aug 26, 2013 03:02:21 am
      We don't need to compare him with Reina because he is different player. He will do a name for himself. Well done Simon

Proper attitude to one legend and hopefully another Clint....+1 to you!!
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      Reply #136: Aug 26, 2013 03:21:22 am

8 + 10 = 15 divided by 5 games is 3,6 against Migs 4.
      This is a cracker.
      thanks2shanks
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 288 posts | 28 
      Reply #137: Aug 26, 2013 11:01:29 am
      He has great physical presence who must look like a huge obstacle to any opponent in a one-on-one situation. In that sense he reminds me of Schmeichel.

As a shot-stopper his reflexes are razor-sharp, but he needs to be more commanding in the air.  If that part of his game improves he will be a magnificent 'keeper.

Quick Reply