Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 307997 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #1380: Nov 27, 2015 01:57:04 pm
      I am not an expert on goalkeepers anyone got any suggestions?.

For all we know, if Bogdan is given a run of games, he could be world class :o The two times he has played for us, he has looked assured and commanding. I would love us to take a gamble on him before we go out and spend millions on another keeper tbh.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #1381: Nov 27, 2015 02:04:49 pm
      For all we know, if Bogdan is given a run of games, he could be world class :o

Do many keepers suddenly turn 'world class' at 28 having spent their entire career in the lower leagues?

Like I said by all means give him a game to see but let's not think he is any sort of long term answer.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1382: Nov 27, 2015 06:04:26 pm
      How he has managed to A) sign for the club. B) stay at the club so long and C) remain first choice is a disgrace.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1383: Nov 27, 2015 06:23:50 pm
      How he has managed to A) sign for the club. B) stay at the club so long and C) remain first choice is a disgrace.

It is a shame that we have refused to sign real competition in the GK position for so very long (which goes back to the times of Pepe Reina's inconsistent performances in his later years with us, again with little competition). It is shocking to think a keeper that can't keep a job in the League One (Brad Jones) stayed at our club for so long, and played a decent number of games, when he was so obviously out of his depth. I wouldn't want to pass definitive judgement on Bogdan after seeing him play only a couple of times, but he doesn't seem to be a keeper to actually challenge for number 1 either.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,285 posts | 763 
      Reply #1384: Nov 27, 2015 06:31:14 pm
      Very difficult to keep a clean sheet, with Migs in between the sticks, me thinks. It is almost like giving the opposition a goal start.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #1385: Nov 27, 2015 07:50:29 pm
      Utterly useless. An embarrassment, shambles and utterly out of his depth. Would not start for any other Premier League team.

He'd start for most other premier league teams, just none that have serious ambition. He could play for most teams outside of City, United, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Tottenham. Any team that has aspirations of being the champions league needs a better keeper than him though.

I think Bogdan is better than Mignolet.

I cannot stand Mignolet, but nah, he's a much better keeper.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1386: Nov 29, 2015 11:09:02 am
      Very difficult to keep a clean sheet, with Migs in between the sticks, me thinks. It is almost like giving the opposition a goal start.
      Er... erm...  :laugh:
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1387: Nov 29, 2015 11:56:11 am
      A lot of rumours linking us to other keepers floating around.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1388: Nov 29, 2015 12:57:28 pm

More often that not he actually is giving the other team a goal head start.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,246 posts | 6364 
      Reply #1389: Nov 29, 2015 01:41:58 pm

Doesn't Migs have the most clean sheets in the league? Or tied for it with Hart?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1390: Nov 29, 2015 01:49:12 pm
      Doesn't Migs have the most clean sheets in the league? Or tied for it with Hart?
      I don't know, clean sheets don't reflect how good a keeper is, Cech won the golden glove with barely making any saves one season, that was when Chelsea's defense was like fort knox. Any keeper in the league would have got the golden glove in that team that year. Where as a good keeper in a team that is letting the other team have shooting practice could make 10 times more saves and get no clean sheets. Mignolet might have clean sheets but when you consider things like crystal palace getting 4 shots on target and mignolet saving only 2... or when you look in games like Europa league where he holds the ball for 20 seconds...... I think somebody mentioned it before... Mignolet does not release the ball fast enough for us to counter attack and now it went one step futher, he holds the ball so long he gives the next best thing to a penalty. If you want to measure a keepers ability you need the shot to save ratio. I don't know Mignolets ratio, but I think it is considered decent to have 65% save rate for shots on target, below 60 is sub par and 80%+ is exceptional.
      « Last Edit: Nov 29, 2015 02:00:52 pm by Ribapuru »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1391: Nov 29, 2015 03:02:31 pm
      Mignolet might have clean sheets but when you consider things like crystal palace getting 4 shots on target and mignolet saving only 2.
      Fair point but that 'logic' works both ways.  ;)

He kept three clean sheets in four games - making twelve saves in those games.

Using your own logic - It would be utter bullshit (in this instance) to suggest he doesn't deserve credit for those clean sheets.

The same level of bullshit in fact that had Pepe in decline in a season which saw him keep fourteen clean sheets in thirty one games.

He wasn't my choice - far F***ing from it (tho I do remember the clamour to dis our then number one) but let's be fair and give credit where due.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1392: Nov 29, 2015 03:32:51 pm
      Fair point but that 'logic' works both ways.  ;)

He kept three clean sheets in four games - making twelve saves in those games.

Using your own logic - It would be utter bullshit (in this instance) to suggest he doesn't deserve credit for those clean sheets.

The same level of bullshit in fact that had Pepe in decline in a season which saw him keep fourteen clean sheets in thirty one games.

He wasn't my choice - far f**king from it (tho I do remember the clamour to dis our then number one) but let's be fair and give credit where due.
      if you read on I did mention the measure of a keeper is overall shot to save ratio. Clean sheets don't tell that much of a picture in regards to any individual since that's a team effort. People need to get off the idea to attribute clean sheets to goalkeepers only when defense, midfielder and even strikers holding the ball up probably have a bigger impact.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1393: Nov 29, 2015 09:18:26 pm
      Clean sheets don't tell that much of a picture in regards to any individual since that's a team effort.
      Yes they do.

Use your own 'logic' for F**k's sake - if he faced 12 shots and conceded 0 [remember your "shot to save ratio"?] then he must get credit.

People need to get off the idea to attribute clean sheets to goalkeepers only when defense, midfielder and even strikers holding the ball up probably have a bigger impact.
      Which would make perfect sense if the 'keeper had no saves to make in those games but as he did; it's moronic to deny him credit for those clean sheets. 

Just to be clear: I've never said Simon was a great 'keeper (he couldn't lace Pepe's boots) but out of curiosity; who do you reckon is a good 'keeper mate?  :confused-smiley-013:

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1394: Nov 29, 2015 10:01:52 pm
      Yes they do.

Use your own 'logic' for f**k's sake - if he faced 12 shots and conceded 0 [remember your "shot to save ratio"?] then he must get credit.
      Which would make perfect sense if the 'keeper had no saves to make in those games but as he did; it's moronic to deny him credit for those clean sheets. 

Just to be clear: I've never said Simon was a great 'keeper (he couldn't lace Pepe's boots) but out of curiosity; who do you reckon is a good 'keeper mate?  :confused-smiley-013:
      If he faced 12 shots and conceded 0 I would give credit under the shot to save ratio. As stated, the vast majority of clean sheets can't be attributed to keeper performances alone. I'm not saying deny him credit, but the defenders, midfielders and strikers also should get credit and they often don't. A team gets a clean sheet, not a goalkeeper, otherwise if somebody only needs 1 point to qualify they just send a goalkeeper out on his own while 10 other players get a nice rest for next game right? I judge a player on his own performance and his stats not team stats.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1395: Nov 30, 2015 10:38:01 am
      If he faced 12 shots and conceded 0 I would give credit under the shot to save ratio. As stated, the vast majority of clean sheets can't be attributed to keeper performances alone.
      So, just to be clear... you are now giving Simon the credit for keeping clean sheets in those games and the reason being - if he (or any 'keeper) makes a save in a game he has stopped a goal from happening; is that correct? Because if that is correct: it makes perfect sense.

The thing is: as 'keepers tend to make saves in "the vast majority" of games, (where a clean sheet has been kept), then surely it follows that the 'keeper deserves credit in the "vast majority" of those games.

[for what it's worth - he didn't have a save to make yesterday and I'm more than happy to credit our often maligned defenders for their part]

For some weird reason this forum is infested with fans who are always way more content criticising our own players than praising them: they look for the bad instead of enjoying the good - it's maybe a failing on my behalf but I find that disconcerting.

Unlike your good self (and others like you) I didn't want Simon to replace Pepe but that won't stop me giving credit where due. Anyhows... that's my last word on that subject - have a nice day buddy.  8)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1396: Nov 30, 2015 11:05:09 am
      I agree with the notion that a clean sheet is not necessarily a huge merit for the keeper, but if we're blaming that same keeper for not getting a clean sheet even when the only goal he concedes is from an impossible Aguero shot, then I'm more than happy to give him credit when we do not concede any goals (which is not to say I'm happy with his performances this season).
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,039 posts | 336 
      Reply #1397: Nov 30, 2015 06:47:53 pm
      It's a complex debate - its a team game at the end of the day, yet individual mistakes and brilliant moments produce goals.  Praise and blame, go ahead, we all do it - but I'm pleased with Simon in general.  Sure, he makes a few gaffes and can look a proper div at times, as a result, but when you're a keeper, that's life.

I'm going to praise the lad.  Well done Simon!!!  I bet he'd grow a foot taller and keep a few more clean sheets if he had more fans telling him that.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1398: Nov 30, 2015 09:09:48 pm
      Current Standings of Keepers (not including those in the relegation zone)

Alex McCarthy - 5 Saves per goal conceded (6 game sample size)
      Petr Cech - 3.4 Saves per goal conceded
      David de Gea - 3.38 Saves per goal conceded
      Jack Butland - 3.14 Saves per goal conceded
      Hugo Lloris - 2.89 Saves per goal conceded
      Tim Howard - 2.58 Saves per goal conceded
      Joe Hart - 2.5 Saves per goal conceded
      Heurelho Gomes - 2.5 Saves per goal conceded
      Adrian - 2.13 Saves per goal conceded
      Lukasz Fabianski - 2.12 Saves per goal conceded
      Costel Pantillimon - 2.04 Saves per goal conceded
      Boaz Myhill - 1.89 Saves per goal conceded
      Wayne Hennessey - 1.57 Saves per goal conceded
      Kasper Schmeichel - 1.48 Saves per goal conceded
      Maarten Stekelenberg - 1.4 Saves per goal conceded
      John Ruddy - 1.36 Saves per goal conceded
      Simon Mignolet - 1.33 Saves per goal conceded

Real top quality shot stopper our Migs... :lmao:
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #1399: Dec 01, 2015 11:48:28 am
      Current Standings of Keepers (not including those in the relegation zone)

Alex McCarthy - 5 Saves per goal conceded (6 game sample size)
      Petr Cech - 3.4 Saves per goal conceded
      David de Gea - 3.38 Saves per goal conceded
      Jack Butland - 3.14 Saves per goal conceded
      Hugo Lloris - 2.89 Saves per goal conceded
      Tim Howard - 2.58 Saves per goal conceded
      Joe Hart - 2.5 Saves per goal conceded
      Heurelho Gomes - 2.5 Saves per goal conceded
      Adrian - 2.13 Saves per goal conceded
      Lukasz Fabianski - 2.12 Saves per goal conceded
      Costel Pantillimon - 2.04 Saves per goal conceded
      Boaz Myhill - 1.89 Saves per goal conceded
      Wayne Hennessey - 1.57 Saves per goal conceded
      Kasper Schmeichel - 1.48 Saves per goal conceded
      Maarten Stekelenberg - 1.4 Saves per goal conceded
      John Ruddy - 1.36 Saves per goal conceded
      Simon Mignolet - 1.33 Saves per goal conceded

Real top quality shot stopper our Migs... :lmao:
      ]

Could be that the only chances our defence leakes are clear cut chances and not half assed shots like the other teams ;) There's no denying he's a great shot stopper. Just sh!t at everything else haha
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1400: Dec 01, 2015 11:52:10 am
      He's a good shot stopper but good compared to who? Lloris? De Gea? Cech? Butland? No chance.

First player to be replaced imo.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1401: Dec 01, 2015 12:11:20 pm
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #1402: Dec 01, 2015 12:11:52 pm
      Jürgen just said in his presser that Mignolet's staying - "He's one of the smartest goalies I've worked with; he's young and still has time to develop."

Quick Reply