Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 307837 times
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #2185: Aug 27, 2016 04:02:29 pm
      One big test today, the angle was narrow so good chance to block, just be big, face the ball.
      Was out quick enough, but then turns sideways, and the FB squeezes it past.

:(
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #2186: Aug 27, 2016 04:05:56 pm
      One big test today, the angle was narrow so good chance to block, just be big, face the ball.
      Was out quick enough, but then turns sideways, and the FB squeezes it past.

:(

Didn't help Clyne being sucked right in, if he had held his position he may well have had a chance to block that shot.

Can't just blame the goalie.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2187: Aug 27, 2016 04:07:31 pm
      Didn't help Clyne being sucked right in, if he had held his position he may well have had a chance to block that shot.

if you come out you have to make that block if he had stayed on his post he would have probably saved it.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2188: Aug 27, 2016 04:21:36 pm

Fair enough about Clyne .. but I can't recall another effort today, apart from that goal, where I thought  'go on goalie, save it!!' :(
      Would love to be able to say 'jeez Migs dug us out there',  but it happens all too rare.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #2189: Aug 27, 2016 04:24:15 pm
      if you come out you have to make that block if he had stayed on his post he would have probably saved it.

Point is though he had to come out as the right back came charging over with a player already being followed by Lallana.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #2190: Aug 27, 2016 04:25:41 pm
      Fair enough about Clyne .. but I can't recall another effort today, apart from that goal, where I thought  'go on goalie, save it!!' :(
      Would love to be able to say 'jeez Migs dug us out there',  but it happens all too rare.

Near post header by Alderwield, was a good save by Mignolet.

Can't believe I'm defending Simon here!!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2191: Aug 27, 2016 04:27:12 pm
      Can't blame Migs for the conceded goal, but a quicker keeper (Karius) would've been on to that in a flash and maybe have stopped Rose.

However, that world class save from the corner...
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2192: Aug 27, 2016 05:42:01 pm
      Migs, quite clearly "starfish" as the ball is on him.
      Well spread, and I'm pretty sure Rose mishit, or shanked the ball.
      Add to that a good save from a header.
      A decent game, and the bullshit being written about him is completely OTT.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2193: Aug 27, 2016 06:01:22 pm
      Could have got lucky and saved it today but he didn't.

Born losers and all that.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2194: Aug 27, 2016 06:01:57 pm
      Near post header by Alderwield, was a good save by Mignolet.

Can't believe I'm defending Simon here!!

Ah, I do remember that one now.  If only our defending was as good as yours :)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6695 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2195: Aug 28, 2016 12:04:11 am
      Can't blame Migs for the conceded goal, but a quicker keeper (Karius) would've been on to that in a flash and maybe have stopped Rose.

Yep if you look at the replay, he first makes a decision to get out there but then stops for a split second ( second guessing himself, no doubt) then starts running at Rose again. That split second decision to stop then start would have made the difference in my opinion. A proper keeper trusts his natural instinct. Migs second guesses himself all the time, which inevitably leads him and us getting into sh*t.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2196: Aug 28, 2016 12:29:22 am
      Yep if you look at the replay, he first makes a decision to get out there but then stops for a split second ( second guessing himself, no doubt) then starts running at Rose again. That split second decision to stop then start would have made the difference in my opinion. A proper keeper trusts his natural instinct. Migs second guesses himself all the time, which inevitably leads him and us getting into sh*t.

Didn't want to mention that as I thought I would be nitpicking but it was so obvious on the replay. Just needs to go hell for leather and stop thinking! It was a point that was well made on The Anfield Wrap - he's too normal. The best goalkeepers always seem cocky or mad, very boorish, but Simon is probably just too nice to be a good goalkeeper.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #2197: Aug 28, 2016 01:11:13 am
      Ah, I do remember that one now.  If only our defending was as good as yours :)

Hahahahaha trawl back through this thread I've far from defended Mignolet, I've wanted him gone for ages. I'm just dealing with the reality that our current number 1 damaged his hand and we're stuck with softarse in goal until Karius is fit.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #2198: Aug 28, 2016 08:33:12 am

Of course you can blame the Goalie. GOALKEEPER the clue is in the name.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2199: Aug 28, 2016 09:04:09 am
      Of course you can blame the Goalie. GOALKEEPER the clue is in the name.

Well, in fairness he did say, "you can't just blame the goalie", and he's right you can't.

Sure, Migs could have stayed straight on rather than twisting away after rushing out which he did do well.

But the amount of space Rose found himself in, inside the 18 yard box was ridiculous.

Clyne got sucked in, Mane failed to cover. On the other side of the flank Milner left too much room for Dier to exploit with his cross.

There were a host of mishaps that led up to the situation where Migs found himself in, blaming him alone for that goal is idiotic.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2200: Aug 28, 2016 10:29:08 am
      Simon for me has 30% fault but he is not alone for the goal. He produced some fine saves yesterday. He rushed well but could not save it, hard luck for this instance.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #2201: Aug 28, 2016 10:38:06 am
      Could have done better at the goal ultimately - but not where the blame lies for me.

Both fullbacks drawn out of position towards the ball like kittens chasing string.

Otherwise I thought Migs was decent - definitely improved with his feet.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2202: Aug 28, 2016 08:50:58 pm
      Can't recall anyone laying the 'blame' for the goal solely at Migs feet. Think everyone saw both FBs out of position in the lead up.

But the fact is, the shot was not a worldy to the top corner where he had no chance to save. He DID have a chance to make the save.
      He did come out as coached, but he turned his head sideways so could not see where the shot was going and possibly make late reaction, and get beaten on the near post.  Would you fancy some of the better keepers to save that, whether coming out, or staying on the line - imo yes.
      It's not a blatant error, absolutely not, and maybe it's harsh given his recent decent form, but just think it's another example of a situation were a better keeper could have made the difference between a draw and 3pts.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2203: Aug 28, 2016 10:27:09 pm
      Can't recall anyone laying the 'blame' for the goal solely at Migs feet. Think everyone saw both FBs out of position in the lead up.

But the fact is, the shot was not a worldy to the top corner where he had no chance to save. He DID have a chance to make the save.
      He did come out as coached, but he turned his head sideways so could not see where the shot was going and possibly make late reaction, and get beaten on the near post.  Would you fancy some of the better keepers to save that, whether coming out, or staying on the line - imo yes.
      It's not a blatant error, absolutely not, and maybe it's harsh given his recent decent form, but just think it's another example of a situation were a better keeper could have made the difference between a draw and 3pts.

Have a look at the picture I posted earlier in the thread mate.
      He's facing the ball.
      He didn't turn his head until it was past him.

I know it's a minor point, but I think it needs making with so many saying he turned away when he didn't.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2204: Aug 28, 2016 11:02:14 pm
      Didn't want to mention that as I thought I would be nitpicking but it was so obvious on the replay. Just needs to go hell for leather and stop thinking! It was a point that was well made on The Anfield Wrap - he's too normal. The best goalkeepers always seem cocky or mad, very boorish, but Simon is probably just too nice to be a good goalkeeper.

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2205: Aug 29, 2016 02:17:48 pm
      Have a look at the picture I posted earlier in the thread mate.
      He's facing the ball.
      He didn't turn his head until it was past him.

I know it's a minor point, but I think it needs making with so many saying he turned away when he didn't.

What about this angle..

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/event/tottenham-hotspur-v-liverpool-premier-league-647699707#danny-rose-of-tottenham-hotspur-scores-his-sides-first-goal-past-of-picture-id596247722

... where it looks like his eyes are closed and he has turned sideways as the ball is passing him on his inside post side.

Anyway, it's not blatant error, so maybe maybe best to give him the benefit of the doubt on it.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2206: Aug 29, 2016 02:29:39 pm
      What about this angle..

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/event/tottenham-hotspur-v-liverpool-premier-league-647699707#danny-rose-of-tottenham-hotspur-scores-his-sides-first-goal-past-of-picture-id596247722

... where it looks like his eyes are closed and he has turned sideways as the ball is passing him on his inside post side.

Anyway, it's not blatant error, so maybe maybe best to give him the benefit of the doubt on it.

Not seeing it if I'm honest mate.
      He was probably blinking ;) and he's definitely not side on, plus the ball is already past him.

Like you say, not a biggie, but I posted it because so many were saying it was a massive error which cost us a goal.
      It wasn't. The goal came because both fullbacks fu**ed up, and one of them wasn't even Moreno  :laugh:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2207: Sep 11, 2016 03:08:43 am
      I've criticised him enough in the past but credit where credit's due - that save from Vardy was a brilliant piece of goalkeeping right at a crucial time in the match!

Quick Reply